Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(First post here *waves* Hi)
    LM I have to start by saying you are so funny *rolls eyes* Thor/Sam...is ..interesting and the ensuing covno even more so
    Well I haven't seen that many Stargate episodes and all just randomly from all season (just discovered it this past year and that was through Atlantis)
    But from what Ive seen she is an amazing Character
    Strong and brillant...I love how women are portrayed in this series
    On one hand she is totally beautiful, but is still a serious character.....
    When I grow up I want to be Samantha Carter. LOL
    You can never really know some completely. That's why it's the most terrifying thing in the world, really - taking someone on faith, hoping they'll take you on faith too. It's such a precarious balance, it's a wonder we do it at all. And yet...
    -Libba Bray

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
      I don’t think Sam needs an Alpha Male either, but I do think she needs someone who is just as strong as she is. She needs someone who can respect her boundaries and who is secure enough in himself to understand that her work is very important to her (and the planet) and that it will most likely always be a priority in her life. She also needs someone who will trust her no matter what. She definitely doesn’t need someone to tell her what to do. If anything, she needs someone who will allow her freedom and space to be who she is and to do what she needs to do.

Pete was not such a man. Not only was he portrayed as insecure and suspicious in “Chimera,” he also overstepped the boundaries that Sam had clearly set. He also was continuously portrayed as being somewhat clinging. I personally don’t see him as potentially abusive. I don’t even see him really as a stalker. I see him as an overly suspicious, untrusting, and insecure man. And that, IMHO, is not the type of man Sam could spend the rest of her life with.

I don't like fic where Pete is portrayed as an abuser, simply b/c Sam is always written OOC in those fics in my opinion. I don't think Sam would put up with being abused for one minute. But then again, I didn't think Sam would put up with a man storming out of her house at dawn (after sleeping with her) b/c she wouldn't reveal exactly what she did for a living either.
      Like JOE!!
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by SGA_Love
        (First post here *waves* Hi)
        LM I have to start by saying you are so funny *rolls eyes* Thor/Sam...is ..interesting and the ensuing covno even more so
        Well I haven't seen that many Stargate episodes and all just randomly from all season (just discovered it this past year and that was through Atlantis)
        But from what Ive seen she is an amazing Character
        Strong and brillant...I love how women are portrayed in this series
        On one hand she is totally beautiful, but is still a serious character.....
        When I grow up I want to be Samantha Carter. LOL
        welcome to samanda!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          i'll say this.

does everyone agree that season 10 is better than season 9? now, are the advertisements letting the viewers know that the show is better now? are there articles stating that the ptb worked on the mitchell and vala characters, and worked on having sam carter more up front in storylines?

if there was something unsatisfying about season 9 for some viewers, what would be the incentive to come back for a season 10? to me, the ratings are showing that there are some fans that are just not giving this show a try anymore.

sally
          I am not watching the show because I can't bare to see the characters I love dismissed, disgarded and disrespected. Its the head in the sand mentality. Its NOT cannon unless I SEE it on Screen.

Note I am still trying to erase the memories of S9 from my internal cannon. Good news is I have bad memory and only seen the eps once, and lost intrest in most halfway through. But that Dang STRONGHOLD memory has a grip that just wont let go .
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Minister
            Interesting point you have there LM. lol j/k people! I dont like being ignored! lol
            Jack left and Mitchell showe up but those werent the only changes.
            Sam was taken out of command and minimized. Teal'c was minimized, made to be a 2 gun carying cartoon sidekick with a bad wardrobe (I hear he wears more sleaves this year so at least theres that). Daniel was changed into a lapdog. The Oreos invaded with their toliet seat ships.
            Mitchell was written as a superhero. He could have been a good character but they ruined it. Vala (a criminal the likes of which we havent seen since maybourn) became the near focus of the show for 6 or so eps. Whiney Lam was there WTH was that all about. And Landry had that dang stupid leather jacket.

Lots and lots of bad, bad changes.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              Jack left and Mitchell showe up but those werent the only changes.
              Sam was taken out of command and minimized. Teal'c was minimized, made to be a 2 gun carying cartoon sidekick with a bad wardrobe (I hear he wears more sleaves this year so at least theres that). Daniel was changed into a lapdog. The Oreos invaded with their toliet seat ships.
              Mitchell was written as a superhero. He could have been a good character but they ruined it. Vala (a criminal the likes of which we havent seen since maybourn) became the near focus of the show for 6 or so eps. Whiney Lam was there WTH was that all about. And Landry had that dang stupid leather jacket.

Lots and lots of bad, bad changes.
              Well said! Very well said!

Comment

I used to watch the show all the time but after Jack left it just got boring to me the only good thing is that 3 of the original characters are still there and one of my favourites are of course Sam but I'd have to say Vala is pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
                  Well said! It wouldn't let me green you.

And thanks for the great pics. She does have a great smile.

I agree with Astro that Sam has seemed happiest when she is exploring or discovering something new. But I think it is everything you mentioned combined - having a job that challenges and excites her, doing that job well and being appreciated for it, and having the love and support of her friends.

The key term you mentioned was respect. I don't think Sam could be happy unless she is given the respect she deserves.

I also feel that Sam needs to see progress. She tends to get depressed easily when things are not looking up. She is never happier than when she has achieved something or come up with a solution. SG-1 needs some successes and Sam needs to be integral to achieving those successes. Let's hope TPTB will allow SG-1 (and Sam) to do so sometime in season 10.
                  (see highlighted pink area above) I wonder in relation to the points you made how the SGC changes of the past year affected her. IMOHO she's someone who does things for the 'internal' rewards she may receive, but like you said if things aren't looking up, if her support isn't there from the team like it was before (new teammates who don't quite get what SG-1 was all about and old teammates who really aren't so immediately available as they once were) and the respect/recognition from the SGC heirarchy isn't there... those external rewards just aren't there any more, not the way they were before and she's still trying to adjust herself to the new SGC attitude. Perhaps that's the reason for some of the uncharacteristic actions by the character? (Yeah, Astro, I know... it's a 'back rationalization', but oh well, gotta explain it somehow...) *looks at clock* Dang... I barely log in here in the a.m. surf the usual haunts and then too much time has passed.... *waves* see ya later...
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                  My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Hey Samanda!! Just a quick post to say hi...not going to be able to stick around...gotta work tomorrow and today was just sooooo busy! Apart from that I'm still smiling from yesterdays posts!!
                    Night all...have a great day!!! Take care and be safe!!
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      Sure...enjoy watching me suffer. Why I oughta...with friends like you...

Wait!!!! Didn't we learn in Revelations that it's been well over 1,000 years since the Asgard had...uh...space ships? Retractable or otherwise???
                      we jsut know it's been 10,000 years since they *ahem* flew
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        Why wouldn't you like him, he's PDL's brother
                        see, that's the issue

TPTB didn't see PETE, they saw David, Peter's nice brother who was such a sweet person in real life

aand when we didn't like pete, i think many of htem took it personally and reacted as if we were saying 'we don't like david'

For the most part, folks didn't have an issue with DAVID the actor, it was the character that he played named PETE that we had issues with

sigpic

Comment

Oh, man! I'm just back from a long week-end with no internet and find that I am behind by a mere 33 pages....

So please forgive if this is a repetitive theme about Insiders:
                          Spoiler:
                          Sam wasn't the only person acting out of character. Since when were the Goa'uld so wimpy? Especially Ba'al?

Why did Ba'al not kill Sam or take her with him... er... them... for Goa'uld-ing, later? Or Goa'uld her on the spot? Oh, yeah, poor writing, that's why.

As to her giving the enemy sensitive info, remember how heroic the SG-11 refused to divulge info to the Proving Ground Jaffa? Sam should have given Ba'al a steely glare and said something like, "don't insult agent Barrett's integrity. For that matter, there's no one on this base who'd want me to give you that information."
                          Last edited by Tok'Ra Hostess; 09 August 2006, 06:59 AM.
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            see, that's the issue

TPTB didn't see PETE, they saw David, Peter's nice brother who was such a sweet person in real life

aand when we didn't like pete, i think many of htem took it personally and reacted as if we were saying 'we don't like david'

For the most part, folks didn't have an issue with DAVID the actor, it was the character that he played named PETE that we had issues with
                            I'd have thought that in their line of work, they'd be able to draw the line between character and actor. I've seen plenty of complaints about Pete, I don't remember reading any about David.

I get that if people were saying "get rid of Pete", TPTB might not have liked the idea if they enjoyed working with David, especially if somebody above decreed that the character wasn't working out and they had to write him out of the picture but I don't get them not being able to make a distinction between character and actor - I hate Mitchell but I have nothing against Ben Browder.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

but they can't always draw the distinction.

at shore leave, jamie bamber talked about plot isues of s2 and3 and he mentioned dualla and what happened with her and then said something about the actress being teh subject of some very...passionate responses.

it has to be hard to draw that line when you're dealing with people you work with day in and day out and even harder when some fans can't draw the line

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                                Yeah well that's all swell and all but it just seems to be on the negative and less positive...I love a good debate as much as the next person but some good and positive feedback would be nice too is all I'm saying!!
                                The problem is that most people had a negative reaction. It's simply a fact. And if they didn't like what happened, they shouldn't have to pretend that they did.

For me, it was an okay episode. I enjoyed it for the most part. I did think that Sam was written to be rather ineffective and as the scapegoat. But that tends to be par for the course now, so no big surprise there.

I didn't have a problem with
                                Spoiler:
                                her giving him the addresses because as far as she knew, he would never get off the base. My problem was the apology at the end. I can shrug it off as her "just being Sam and taking responsibility" but it still grates when no one else ever seems to do the same.

I also had a problem with the fact that she didn't even attempt to get out of the room. I mean this is Sam. The one who "MacGyvered" the dialing system, the one who figured out how to shut down a black hole and blow up a sun. The one who "MacGyvered" her way out of a closed off metal room on the Prometheus. The one who figured out how to get her ship and an alien ship out of a gas cloud. And they're trying to say that she can't get herself out of a storage room without Mitchell's help? Puhleeze.

Just remember, the negativity is towards the writers and what they've done, not Sam herself. AT is playing what she's given. It's not her fault, it's not Sam's fault, it's the writer's fault hand down.
                                Last edited by KatG; 09 August 2006, 09:10 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X