Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Hmm, wasn't quite sure what to do with the banner on such short notice, but I came up with a new Samanda Song.

Be a numpty
    (sung to Be a Pepper tune)

I post on Samanda don’t ya know
    It’s an original thread that I love so

But if you look around these days,
    There seems to be a most peculiar craze.

Oh - I'm a numpty, he's a numpty, she's a numpty, we are numpties
    Wouldn't you like to be a numpty too?

Yeah - I'm a numpty, he's a numpty, she's a numpty
    if you like Samantha Carter, you're a numpty too!

We numpties are an interesting breed
    with a wonderful place to satisfy our needs
    Ask any numpty and they'll say "Samanda is the only place to play"

Be a numpty, not a big ole grumpy
    Be a numpty, not Forrest Gumpy.

Gotta admire the cheese factor!

Hic Comitas Regit!

Wonderful, Kat. LOL!

My LJ

Comment

i'm a numpty
      you're a numpty
      wouldn't you rather be a numpty too?????
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hmm, wasn't quite sure what to do with the banner on such short notice, but I came up with a new Samanda Song.

Be a numpty

Hic Comitas Regit!

LOL! I was just singing that in my head, before I saw your post. Seriously was about to write something similar.

How about this one then:

Ole Samanda had a thread,
        ei ei oh
        And on this thread she had some Numpties
        ei ei oh.
        With a "What Duh?" here and a "Huh? What?" there.
        Here a "D'oi", there a "Wha". Everywhere a "What, Duh."
        ei ei oh!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          I took a look and I didn't see any anti-Sam sentiments.

I don't particularly agree with some of the opinions there but they're not Sam unfriendly...just not my cup o' tea. Plus I have anti threads and whinging threads for fussing about stuff I don't like and Samanda to talk about what I do like...or rather who I like:

...and that is...

...drumroll please....

Samantha Carter!!!!!!!!!!!!

And why do I like Samantha Carter? (I know, what's not to like, right???)

I've followed her evolution as a young, spunky Captain who Brat'ac was ready to snap in half like a twig to a seasoned officer and leader.

All the experiences...the losses...the mistakes...the battles. They've all formed who she is and I have to credit Amanda for developing her so believably over the years.

The thing I most appreciate about her I think (to answer AstroG's challenge)...is that she exudes traits that I'd like to have.
          Her patience, her grace, her sense of honor and loyalty.

She is a true heroine in every sense of the word...very human and prone to make mistakes just like the rest of us and yet she does not wallow in those mistakes.

She learns from them and moves on to the next challenge...taking what she needs to from those mistakes and letting it go. Her humility, her heart, her passion. This is someone I can look up to as a hero figure.

Samantha Carter could very well have been a wooden, 2 dimensional average character...a walking cliche in the scifi genre. All looks and no real depth. Instead, we have a rich character full of depth and pathos and humor.

I love that she is a woman and a leader. No, I'm not about to rant about the leadership scenario here...you all know how I feel about it anyway plus there are other threads to deal with that particular bugaboo of mine ...but it's very clear to me that she is A leader (arguably THE leader...but again, I'll not go there on this thread).

She exudes leadership and poise. She's calm and cool under pressure.

Sam could easily have fallen into the pitfall of being a witch with a "b" or become too masculine in her strength. Instead we have a thoroughly feminine character who's confident in her abilities and respected by her peers and subordinates.

I'll say again, I hope we get a Vala/Sam friendship and enjoy the character development and humor and angst that would naturally come from their relationship. I think some of the character beats between them in Crusade indicate the potential there. Plus, they'd HAVE to mention Jolinar again...one of my favorite storylines for her and sadly not explored nearly as much as I would have loved.

There is so much that could be gained from this, like exploiting her background or her sense of humor that we're not treated to nearly as much as I'd like. I love her wry wit!

We need more Samantha Carters. We need female role models who are honorable and just and strong and compassionate...who maintain their femininity with their authority.

And like I said before, I believe we have Amanda to thank for these traits. She has woven such a brilliant tapestry for her character over the years and I shudder to imagine what a lesser actress would have done with the role.

Thank you Amanda for the character of Samantha Carter and I look forward to more Carter in Season 10 and beyond.

Wow! What a fantastic post, Uber. Love the pics - very appropriate to go along with your words and sentiments.

And what great words! Well put! Resounding approval!!!

And I just had to quote scarimor's wonderful animated gifs as a salute to both Uber's post and scarimor's gif's!
          Originally posted by scarimor
          Uber, that is a truly awesome post. All the Sam-ness.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            ooh, good idea.

i know we're doing the episode polls (hint, hint, vote please)

but yeah, if folks want to post lists of thier favorite sam fic, we can run our own unofficial 'best sam fic' contest.

how about the basic categories of

adventure/drama
            whump/hurt-comfort
            humor
            friendship
            relationship
            smut (all pairings welcome, just mark them...we can separate out ship and slash if we get enough)

and then we can have our own unofficial little awards

i can put a poll in the fanfic or off topic for each category (or we can keep it secret and you can pm me) and we can have our own sam fic contest

whatta y'all think???
            Great idea! (I am overwhelmed, however, at trying to figure out the best Carter fic of all of the ones that I've read... which is any and all that I could find....)
            Ok guys, before we start a rush of 'i'm not welcome, i'm leaving'....in s6, jonas was called Jon-ass. Did i like it? no. Did i use it? no. Can i mod for it? No.

do i like it when i see sam refereed to by a derogatory term? no. Can i stop it? no. will i do it? no.

all i can control is myself (even as a mod i can only 'control' people to the guidelines of our rules.)

If someone is using a term you don't like, don't use it. I don't know who came up with TIIC - and it took me several weeks to figure out what the heck it was - but i didn't like it so i didn't use it. I however didn't ask anyone not to use it until darren spoke up and made a declaration. Now, as a mod, i enforce his rule.

is cammykins the nicest term in the world? Well, i've heard worse and i think it's on par with cambo and stems from the 'hewo' idea that folks have had.

would i go into the cam thread and use it???? not unless i saw some of the regulars there using it. Is it moderateable? No. It is a way to express a lack of respect for the character that's really no different from folks calling characters by other pet names (examples of which escape me at the moment....but i guess the weir threads would be an example. they have lots of nicks for torri that i don't understand)

We are all different here. and we all like different things. Some of us are totally positive and see the bright side with enviable optimism. Others see things through what they call a realisitic pov. we have shippers and slashers and genners.

we have folks that would love to see janet and sam together and others that will not be happy unless they get a sam/jack wedding on the ramp

we're all different

so we all just need to tolerate each other. and that includes tolerating everyone's opinions/quirks....and nicknames
            Great post, Sky!
            Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
            I'm hoping for lots of team interaction and working together in season 10.
            Yeah, I agree - more team interaction -- more of the team working together... it's too bad that the spoilers don't say such things as 'The Team' goes in to rescue X'

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor

Hee. Same here. We have a collective noun for numerous numpties - a "bumble of numpties" - in case you're unfortunate enough to have more than a pair.
              Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
              [Teal'c]

I believe Coley to already be acquainted with this expression.

[/Teal'c]
              ROTFLOL! Scarimor...Bumble of Numpties... just...just... too good not to try and use in regular conversation sometime... LOL!

And 1speed... love the Teal'c intonation and diction (and the [Teal'c]-on [/Teal'c]off)
              Originally posted by Myrth
              Anyhoo.. I count myself amongst the ranks of the numpties (nice word mini) and count myself lucky to have found such a group of diverse and yet soulfully similiar people.

(((samanda)))
              Here! Here! Myrth! Well said! - and me too... amongst the numpties... the whole bumble of them...
              Originally posted by majorsal

*give sam her own command. or either a ship or base. or let her be 2nd at the sgc.

*let sam kick some butt! i don't care whose butt, just let us see her do some kung fu fightin'!

and before i go, i want to make a HUGE thank you to amanda tapping! you're one damn cool chick!

sally
              Great post, Sally!
              Originally posted by majorsal
              spoilers for 8

s
              a
              m

i'd LOVE for replicarter to come back! just think of the possibilities with that character!

*thinks of possibilities*

try typing that word without having to stop and spell in out slowly

replicarter suddenly appears on a planet, but with all her memories wiped clean. who did it? oma? and why did she? did that mean she ascended replicarter when she did daniel?

would replicarter be good? could she be?

would she want to continue as the real sam carter?

did fifth really torture her too?

if she was good, would she be able to put her dark past behind her?

could two sam carters co-exist in the same galaxy?

what if our sam decided to get revenge on her?

would daniel be able to be around replicarter, after what she did to him?

would sam be able to live with the guilt, if she found out what replicarter did to daniel?

how can the writers drop this gold mine of a storyline? and with how successfully amanda interpreted replicarter, why deprive the audience of this great character?

sally
              Wow! What great story possibilities, Sally! Any and all of these would be great in the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                Great post Astro
                I don't know if I could put in words, all that Sam Carter is, but I found a song whose lyrics describes not only Sam, but Amanda and I think all of us.

I Am Woman

-Artist: Helen Reddy from "Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits": EMI ST 11467
                -Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton

I am woman, hear me roar

In numbers too big to ignore

And I know too much to go back an' pretend

'cause I've heard it all before
                And I've been down there on the floor

No one's ever gonna keep me down again

continued on next post
                Wow!!! What a fantastic post, Mandy! I loved it!

Be a numpty

Hic Comitas Regit!

Fantastic and fun, Kat!

And for anyone who doesn't know the Pepper tune/song (erm, like me)... here's a link to a website where you can listen to it while reading Kat's revised lyrics. Be A Pepper Tune

Uber and Mandy and Kat - I've put both of your thoughtful posts into the SaGC Carter Collection - currrently starting on page 6

i'm a numpty
                you're a numpty
                wouldn't you rather be a numpty too?????
                That tune I didn't have to look up
                Originally posted by Deejay435
                LOL! I was just singing that in my head, before I saw your post. Seriously was about to write something similar.

How about this one then:

ei ei oh
                And on this thread she had some Numpties
                ei ei oh.
                With a "What Duh?" here and a "Huh? What?" there.
                Here a "D'oi", there a "Wha". Everywhere a "What, Duh."
                ei ei oh!
                And another tune I didn't have to look up!

Thanks guys - this is fun!
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 May 2006, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  Strix here, reporting for duty, sir!
                  Spoiler:

CG, spaz, don't be laughing... it was taken 20 years ago...
                  I love it. And I actually kinda wish I had one myself.

Comment

Just a quick reminder that Sam could do with some healing

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=28328

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                      I think when it comes to pre-season ads, we generally hear about the changes [new cast members] because the folks that make the ads are always trying to draw in a new crowd. They figure the folks that watch will be back to check it out no matter what. The folks that make the ads aren't the same people that write the scripts. [I'm not saying that this is right, but it's the mindset.]

I have no idea where spoilers come from, but I put them in the same category as episode write-ups. Many ep write-ups talk about a character that is barely in the script. If the write-up were "Landry is captured by Ba'al" the actual episode could have a few shots of Landry in captivity, but 90% of the episode is the team rescuing him - the team that wasn't even mentioned in the write-up.

Basically, I'm thinking that it's fine to speculate and worry, but don't let it really get you down until you see what actually happens.

I'm hoping for lots of team interaction and working together in season 10.

[oops, I'm sorry my post got in the middle of Mandysg1's cool song rendition. I especially like the part, "In numbers too big to ignore." hee.]

I'm hoping for alot of team action too, but I just don't know that this will happen. I'm afraid TPTB don't remember how to write them anymore, but I'll hope for it anyway.

I do see what you mean about pre-season ads focusing on the new cast members, but I wished they didn't do this. I just saw that the Conan O'brien thing was on last night and fans reported that the only cast members on the show that focused on the 200th episode were the new cast members. SG-1 isn't even recognizable anymore. This little segment was about the 200th episode.. A large part of why we are even seeing the 200th episode is because of the original cast members. This is just another way of further alienating long-term fans.

Anyway, let's see something positive. Uh, uh, I'll figure something out---going back to read Myrth's posts! Hoping to see lots of Sam in season 10. And all the pics are fabulous!!

Comment

I just have to say Yea we're back on line, I can now feed my addiction

Hello my name is Mandy, and I'm a forum-aholic
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

yes, thank goodness its' back.

I mean, here i was, working up to post 10,000 and the forum's been down ALL DAY!!!!!!!

arrrgghhh

but on the upside, i finished my au fic from hell

almost 70,000 words and 120+ single spaced pages.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            I just have to say Yea we're back on line, I can now feed my addiction

Hello my name is Mandy, and I'm a forum-aholic

Hi Mandy!!!

::ahem:: I wish I hadn't felt so tired-headed all night-I could have used the downtime to work on my newest fic too. Bad me.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                              So I'm guessing this was when Carter went through her whole "Dark Lord of the Sith" phase, right?
                              -
                              mini, mini, mini, how many times do I have to point out your typo's it isn't Sith, its Fifth, and he wasn't even in that episode

*what was that girl thinking*
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

but on the upside, i finished my au fic from hell

almost 70,000 words and 120+ single spaced pages.
                                Yikes! That must have taken forever.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X