No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys, before we start a rush of 'i'm not welcome, i'm leaving'....in s6, jonas was called Jon-ass. Did i like it? no. Did i use it? no. Can i mod for it? No.

do i like it when i see sam refereed to by a derogatory term? no. Can i stop it? no. will i do it? no.

all i can control is myself (even as a mod i can only 'control' people to the guidelines of our rules.)

If someone is using a term you don't like, don't use it. I don't know who came up with TIIC - and it took me several weeks to figure out what the heck it was - but i didn't like it so i didn't use it. I however didn't ask anyone not to use it until darren spoke up and made a declaration. Now, as a mod, i enforce his rule.

is cammykins the nicest term in the world? Well, i've heard worse and i think it's on par with cambo and stems from the 'hewo' idea that folks have had.

would i go into the cam thread and use it???? not unless i saw some of the regulars there using it. Is it moderateable? No. It is a way to express a lack of respect for the character that's really no different from folks calling characters by other pet names (examples of which escape me at the moment....but i guess the weir threads would be an example. they have lots of nicks for torri that i don't understand)

We are all different here. and we all like different things. Some of us are totally positive and see the bright side with enviable optimism. Others see things through what they call a realisitic pov. we have shippers and slashers and genners.

we have folks that would love to see janet and sam together and others that will not be happy unless they get a sam/jack wedding on the ramp

we're all different

so we all just need to tolerate each other. and that includes tolerating everyone's opinions/quirks....and nicknames
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If I can suggest something about the whole nicknames things, what if we follow this basic rule: don't give a character a nickname you wouldn't like to see applied to your favourite character.
      Basically, make good use of Hic Comitas Regit.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Ooober said:

We need more Samantha Carters. We need female role models who are honorable and just and strong and compassionate...who maintain their femininity with their authority.
        Amen! She doesn't lose her authority simply because she's a woman. And she doesn't have to act like "One of the boys" to maintain that authority. She's a proven warrior. She wouldn't have been given command of SG-1 if Jack didn't think she was capable of leading the flagship team. She's earned both her promotions while at the SGC, and she'll earn more before her career is over. She's a trusted ally, a true friend and a compassionate human being. She doesn't judge quickly. And she doesn't take you at face value either. But once you earn her trust, it's there until you destroy it yourself - Sam's loyal until the end.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          Ok guys, before we start a rush of 'i'm not welcome, i'm leaving'....in s6, jonas was called Jon-ass. Did i like it? no. Did i use it? no. Can i mod for it? No.

do i like it when i see sam refereed to by a derogatory term? no. Can i stop it? no. will i do it? no.

all i can control is myself (even as a mod i can only 'control' people to the guidelines of our rules.)

If someone is using a term you don't like, don't use it. I don't know who came up with TIIC - and it took me several weeks to figure out what the heck it was - but i didn't like it so i didn't use it. I however didn't ask anyone not to use it until darren spoke up and made a declaration. Now, as a mod, i enforce his rule.

is cammykins the nicest term in the world? Well, i've heard worse and i think it's on par with cambo and stems from the 'hewo' idea that folks have had.

would i go into the cam thread and use it???? not unless i saw some of the regulars there using it. Is it moderateable? No. It is a way to express a lack of respect for the character that's really no different from folks calling characters by other pet names (examples of which escape me at the moment....but i guess the weir threads would be an example. they have lots of nicks for torri that i don't understand)

We are all different here. and we all like different things. Some of us are totally positive and see the bright side with enviable optimism. Others see things through what they call a realisitic pov. we have shippers and slashers and genners.

we have folks that would love to see janet and sam together and others that will not be happy unless they get a sam/jack wedding on the ramp

we're all different

so we all just need to tolerate each other. and that includes tolerating everyone's opinions/quirks....and nicknames
          Fair enough.

Sim... please don't unsubscribe from the thread. I was out of line.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            I can do that. I've been doing it quite successfully the past few pages. I assume it's also ok to express an opinion about it like Strix and I just did? Or do I have to do only silent winces?

[edit: ooh, I think I've used Sammykins as a term of endearment for Sam on LJ!]
            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
              I'm going from here to delete my subscription to this thread, so this should be a safe haven from my anti-season 9'ness from now on.

I can't believe you just wrote that! :squints: :rubs eyes: :looks again:
              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                At any rate, I really like the fact that our Carter can fly jet planes (and X302's, or whatever #'s they have) and likes to ride motorcyles. Fun!

There's more to my list, but I'll save it for another post.

What are your favorite Carter images or character aspects?
                Great post Astro
                I don't know if I could put in words, all that Sam Carter is, but I found a song whose lyrics describes not only Sam, but Amanda and I think all of us.

I Am Woman

-Artist: Helen Reddy from "Helen Reddy's Greatest Hits": EMI ST 11467
                -Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton

I am woman, hear me roar

In numbers too big to ignore

And I know too much to go back an' pretend

'cause I've heard it all before
                And I've been down there on the floor

No one's ever gonna keep me down again

continued on next post
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I think when it comes to pre-season ads, we generally hear about the changes [new cast members] because the folks that make the ads are always trying to draw in a new crowd. They figure the folks that watch will be back to check it out no matter what. The folks that make the ads aren't the same people that write the scripts. [I'm not saying that this is right, but it's the mindset.]

I have no idea where spoilers come from, but I put them in the same category as episode write-ups. Many ep write-ups talk about a character that is barely in the script. If the write-up were "Landry is captured by Ba'al" the actual episode could have a few shots of Landry in captivity, but 90% of the episode is the team rescuing him - the team that wasn't even mentioned in the write-up.

Basically, I'm thinking that it's fine to speculate and worry, but don't let it really get you down until you see what actually happens.

I'm hoping for lots of team interaction and working together in season 10.

[oops, I'm sorry my post got in the middle of Mandysg1's cool song rendition. I especially like the part, "In numbers too big to ignore." hee.]

Comment

CHORUS
                    Oh yes I am wise

But it's wisdom born of pain

Yes, I've paid the price

But look how much I gained

If I have to, I can do anything

I am strong (strong)

I am invincible (invincible)

I am woman

You can bend but never break me

'cause it only serves to make me
                    More determined to achieve my final goal

And I come back even stronger

Not a novice any longer

'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

I AM WOMAN

sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      Great stuff. I salute you.
                      scarimor

Comment

My personal favorite urban slang word these days is NUMPTY (as some of you already know!) - I just think it really rolls off the tongue, and it doesn't *have* to mean idiot, it can also be an affectionate lambast, depending, so I use it a lot. Maybe I can just change TIIC to TNIC.

From the Urban (Slang) Dictionary:

numpty
                        [most commonly] ... A person who never has or never will have a f*ing clue what he or she is doing.
                        (Bobby Gould)

also...

Scottish usage:
                        a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person

a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"

Given the latter definition of the two ... I'd call Cameron Mitchell a total NUMPTY. And I could even see Carter calling him one in CANON! So there.

TNIC it is!

geek (a numpty herself, sometimes)
                        Last edited by minigeek; 05 May 2006, 12:45 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                          My personal favorite urban slang word these days is NUMPTY (as some of you already know!) - I just think it really rolls off the tongue, and it doesn't *have* to mean idiot, it can also be an affectionate lambast, depending, so I use it a lot. Maybe I can just change TIIC to TNIC.

numpty
                          [most commonly] ... A person who never has or never will have a f*ing clue what he or she is doing.
                          Bobby Gould

also...

Scottish usage:
                          a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

Given the latter definition of the two ... I'd call Cameron Mitchell a total NUMPTY. And I could even see Carter calling him one in CANON! So there.
                          I don't think I've heard that word before. It's cute.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

numpty
                            (Bobby Gould)

also...

Scottish usage:

d) "That Strix sure is a numpty when she opens her big mouth."
                            Last edited by Strix varia; 05 May 2006, 12:51 PM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                              I don't think I've heard that word before. It's cute.
                              Oh god, we use it ALL THE TIME here. A day does not go by... lol

The plural or numpty is numpties, btw. Y'know, in case you ever... need it in plural or anything.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

numpty

i like that.

course i also like banker (substitute the W for the B....the language filter snags it otherwise) but i can't use that anymore

ANd guys, we've all called each other out on the carpet before. Every single one of us has been reined in and gently guided towards a more, well central path.

it's nothing personal and certainly not meant as an insult. it's just the normal evolution of a group
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X