No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I have a question as a new person on this thread. I haven't read any fanfic up to this point, but today I've been looking around for some and found a whole bunch! I'm kinda overwhelmed. Anyone care to point me in the right direction for the really good stuff? (I'd be interested in reading stuff from people here!) I've seen some here on GW and a couple of other sites. (all the characters, but especially our gal Sam!)

Thanks in advance
    I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
    Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

Mandy, that's an amazing photo essay, thanks for sharing it! Way cool !

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Ahhh I don't think anyone on this thread is numpy (a numpty ?)
        Realllllly
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Oh god, we use it ALL THE TIME here. A day does not go by... lol

The plural or numpty is numpties, btw. Y'know, in case you ever... need it in plural or anything.

Hee. Same here. We have a collective noun for numerous numpties - a "bumble of numpties" - in case you're unfortunate enough to have more than a pair.
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            ANd guys, we've all called each other out on the carpet before. Every single one of us has been reined in and gently guided towards a more, well central path.

it's nothing personal and certainly not meant as an insult. it's just the normal evolution of a group
            Absolutely. I once told Kat that she was sometimes my voice of conscience around here. She'd come in with a reminder about being nice and I'd think to myself - yeah, you know, I really am being a bit of a jerk right now, time to back of and play pretty for a while. So we all need a nudge now and then, especially when things get 'heated'.

I always twitch when I read name-calling derrogatory diatribes about Sam - wherever they are. So while I'm probably an ANTI fan of Mitchell as a character, I do have to agree that calling the character derrogatory names is probably making fans of his twitch the same way I twitch over malicious Carter slams. Especially when I know I can't jump in and argue about it.

Maybe it is time for a little H C R in here and a back-off the numpty-lambasting for a bit, especially from me!!! I've been pretty rabidly anti S9(ish) of late. Is it the air in here?

geeek

Comment

My personal favorite urban slang word these days is NUMPTY (as some of you already know!) - I just think it really rolls off the tongue, and it doesn't *have* to mean idiot, it can also be an affectionate lambast, depending, so I use it a lot. Maybe I can just change TIIC to TNIC.

From the Urban (Slang) Dictionary:

numpty
              [most commonly] ... A person who never has or never will have a f*ing clue what he or she is doing.
              (Bobby Gould)

also...

Scottish usage:
              a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person

a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"

Given the latter definition of the two ... I'd call Cameron Mitchell a total NUMPTY. And I could even see Carter calling him one in CANON! So there.

TNIC it is!

geek (a numpty herself, sometimes)
              You're speaking a language I understand very well! I bet Coley will be using this word a lot when she returns to the thread, as she's now living in Scotland.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey23
                Ok, I have a question as a new person on this thread. I haven't read any fanfic up to this point, but today I've been looking around for some and found a whole bunch! I'm kinda overwhelmed. Anyone care to point me in the right direction for the really good stuff? (I'd be interested in reading stuff from people here!) I've seen some here on GW and a couple of other sites. (all the characters, but especially our gal Sam!)

Thanks in advance
                Hey Mickey, for good Sam stuff, I recommend starting with Astro's recs as well as her own stories:
                http://www.fanfiction.net/u/599721/

Sky has written some great ones, and she got me started on Sam fic. Her website is:
                http://www.jackfic.com/emeraldcity/

I have a site for Sam-whumping fic, although in many cases the whumping is minor. I have several stories on the list from fanfic writers on this thread: http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm

My LJ

Comment

... Given the latter definition of the two ... I'd call Cameron Mitchell a total NUMPTY. And I could even see Carter calling him one in CANON! So there.
                  I always thought I could see Sam affectionately calling him a goof, so I can see her affectionately calling him a numpty - not that I've ever heard the word before.

But then, you didn't mean affectionately, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                    Hey Mickey, for good Sam stuff, I recommend starting with Astro's recs as well as her own stories:

Sky has written some great ones, and she got me started on Sam fic. Her website is:

I have a site for Sam-whumping fic, although in many cases the whumping is minor. I have several stories on the list from fanfic writers on this thread: http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/whumping.htm
                    Yep. And Strix's own fanfic SUCKS. You'll wanna avoid it at all costs, when you're over on her page. It's not like she's written some of the BEST FRICKIN' SAMFIC EVER! Or anything... so, just be warned about that, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                      Ahhh I don't think anyone on this thread is numpy (a numpty ?)
                      Realllllly
                      Oooooooooooooo! Me! Choose Me!

If Mitchell is a numpty, I wanna be one, too!

We don't have a bumble of numpties, yet, but it's a start!!!

I betcha Sam would want to join us!

Okay. Maybe not.

It's Friday and I'm in a good mood.

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                        You're speaking a language I understand very well! I bet Coley will be using this word a lot when she returns to the thread, as she's now living in Scotland.
                        [Teal'c]

I believe Coley to already be acquainted with this expression.

[/Teal'c]

Comment

one great thing about strix's list....it covers all the genre's. gen, ship, femslash

so something for many tastes. MIne is mostly gen or sam/jack with some sam/teal'c tossed in and not much daniel stuff, no vala or cam
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yep. And Strix's own fanfic SUCKS. You'll wanna avoid it at all costs, when you're over on her page. It's not like she's written some of the BEST FRICKIN' SAMFIC EVER! Or anything... so, just be warned about that, OK?
                            mini, you are such a gianthonkinamazonnumpty.

My LJ

Comment

mini, you are such a gianthonkinamazonnumpty.
                              Oooo is this the name of a new character for one of your new fics
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                one great thing about strix's list....it covers all the genre's. gen, ship, femslash

so something for many tastes. MIne is mostly gen or sam/jack with some sam/teal'c tossed in and not much daniel stuff, no vala or cam
                                whereas mine is
                                • Sam/Janet
                                • Sam/Carolyn Lam
                                • Sam/Vala
                                • Sam/Jack/Janet

- say, there's a common theme!

(and now this numpty must go grab cocoa, watch Grumpy Old Men, and sleep tight )
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X