No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I like and admire about the character of Sam Carter?

I've loved scifi for more than 30 years... reading books and watching scif TV series and movies. What I like about the character of Sam Carter is that she was written with the backstory of someone who has the 'explorer spirit''; that she wanted to go into space; that her life's aspirations included becoming an astronaut - and she went into the Air Force to achieve that goal. Lots of the men and women who became astronauts over the past many decades followed that same path (through the military).

I love scifi, and I love scifi where they are exploring other worlds, other star systems and other galaxies. I love the awesome physical phenomena - I love the physics and the underlying symmetries and ultimate simplicities in the mathematics - once it's accurately understood.

So... I love that Sam Carter is a physicist... an astrophysicist, yes, but a physicist. One with a yearning to go beyond the theoretical abstracts. I love the way that AT played Carter's bright enthusiasm when she is presented with a new phenomenum and/or new technology that will expand her understanding of physical science. I love that they showed Carter as willing to accept new ideas and launch new ideas of her own from new data as she received and assimilated it. They wrote her as open minded. I love that aspect of Carter's character. They wrote her as enjoying her field of science - as being excited about it. Just wonderful!

I love that Sam Carter is a female scientist who successfully completed Air Force jet jockey training. I love that the jet-jockey pilot training gives her character a fun-loving side - and a risk-taking side. I love that she's capable of being a pilot for NASA - and that she also loves the science. From what I've read, most of the male jet jockeys-cum-astronauts who did work for NASA were jet-jockeys-and-engineers (had some degree in engineering).

The Stargate is a different way of exploring the stars (different than a traditional ship), but the character of Sam Carter fit right into SG-1 as they wrote the first many seasons. Along the way, I think the part of her backstory that included her astronaut aspirations sort of faded from the spotlight, but to me, it's always been one of my favorite aspects of her character.

I love to see any bits or scenes that allude to Carter's yearn to explore the cosmos - whether it's in conversations explaining why her Dad is trying to get her into NASA, or if it's combined with her 'need for speed' in Space Race where she gets to fly like a jet jockey in an alien space race, or if it's in Foresaken where she's setting up a telescope, or if it's at the beginning of Grace where Col. Ronson gets to joke around with her about how excited she is to get to examine the gas cloud (like a Kid In A Candy Store), or if it's in a spacesuit working on a SuperGate in space...

I love any episodes that put Carter in the cockpit of a jet or a ship of any sort (which isn't to say that I don't like the Stargate). But I do love seeing Carter zip around in a ship - preferrably as the pilot.

OK... where's the Astronaut!Carter emoticon?
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 21 May 2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      OK... where's the Astronaut!Carter emoticon?
      Great post astro.

Here will this do?

Maybe Scarimor can do a better one, maybe a full suited one??
      -

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        I think Amanda has been wanting to direct again since she had her first chance in Season 7 with Resurrection. It would not surprise me at all to her more talk from her about wanting to move more in that direct in the furture. Every con I have seen her at except comic con since then if asked about directing you can see her light up. In Vancouver she was not asked about directing on stage but when I went thru the autograph line I said something about directing to her and even though they were trying to keep the lines moving she lite up and stopped signing for a minute to talk about how much she would love to direct again. If the Stargate franchise does not give her the chance to direct in the future and someone else makes the offer I could see her leaving to direct for someone else. Lets face it the good acting jobs for a female 40+ are few and far between, if AT could break into the role of director she would make herself much more marketable in the business.

Personally I thought she did a fantastic job with directing and acting in Resurrection especially with what was a weak script in my view.

I totally agree, Tsax. I think it's an extremely wise and hopefully profitable decision for Amanda to want to get involved with producing and directing in the future. She also made several comments at Gabit that she would really love to do some stage work, as the theatre was her first love and I hope she gets that opportunity. I really don't want Amanda to end up in the same situation that Ann Gillian was in here in the states where she felt like she couldn't get any good parts that didn't typecast her into the same types of roles. If you look at the Sci-Fi genre, once an actor gets involved in a popular Sci-Fi show, they tend to have a very difficult time being seen as anything other than the character they portrayed on that particular show and in many cases when/if they do finally get another big role it's still in Sci-Fi. I'd like to see Amanda be given the chance to broaden her acting talents and move into other directions that will keep her working for years to come. So as much as I would love to see Amanda on television, I think it only goes to show how lucky she realizes she's been and how hard it may be to find another great television role after Stargate ends. Yes, I will be disappointed in not seeing her on a weekly basis, but I wish her the best of luck in any endeavor she chooses to get involved with in the future. Whether it be theatre, producing or directing, I'm sure she will do an amazing job.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 21 May 2006, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I agree with that too, and sadly there are some harsh realities to business, although AT could just completely break the mould, who knows. We know she has fans in high places if you will, so hey, no-one knows what the future will bring.

Personally I hope she does continue to work behind the camera too though, but not for longevity so much as she's bloody good at it. Stylistically I loved Resurrection, it was damn cool, I was impressed and judging by the best director nomination, I wasn't the only one

On screen, I'd love to see her do something completely out of the Sam Carter groove but still with some strength, and since I'm currently watching the L Word, I'd love to see her on there in a guest spot... you know, not to put my personal tastes on anything or.. anything

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          I totally agree, Tsax. I think it's an extremely wise and hopefully profitable choice for Amanda to want to do more producing and directing in the future. She also made several comments that she would really love to get back into stage work, as the theatre was her first love and I hope she gets that opportunity. I don't want Amanda to get into the same situation that Ann Gillian did here in the states where she was type casted after X-files and didn't feel like she could get any good roles. If you look at the Sci-Fi genre, once an actor gets involved in a popular Sci-fi show, they have a very difficult time being seen as anything other than the character they played in that particular show and in many cases when/if they do finally get another big role it's often back in the same type of show.

As much as I would love to see Amanda on television, I think it only goes to show how lucky she thinks she's been and how hard it may be finding the type of work she'd like to do after Stargate ends. I may be disappointed if I couldn't see her every week on television, but I wish her the best of luck in any endeavor she gets involved with in the future. I know she'll be wonderful at anything she chooses to do.
          sigpic

Comment

i love that banner ForeverSg1... excellent post... love ur banner too Myrth
            Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
            Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              But wasn't this about the time that they were plugging season 9 as a "new beginning" for the show? And talking about how it could go on for years?

I'm not trying to stir up anything... I just thought it was curious. And I suppose part of me was hoping that she might still play a role somewhere in the SG-universe in Atlantis or the third series or whatever. But it doesn't sound like she was thinking that at this point in time. Of course, that was then... and plans change. Who knows when they cooked up the idea for the third series.

Well, since this interview took place right after Gabit last year, it seemed that AT didn't know exactly what was happening, except that there was going to be a season 10. She may know alot more now.

My guess is, if another really good role comes along (after all, last Fall, she was considering a role in that new Canadian show), she might be tempted to take it. Or, if, by our good fortune, she would be in the third series (if there is one), she may take it, depending on the circumstances.

But she also likes directing so much. I could see her wanting to always direct when she gets the chance. She's good at it!

Comment

i think AT is enough of a realist to know that she can't be in front of the camera forever. the lovely sexist dudes that call the shots only want their leading ladies to be emaciated young things with implants that they can jiggle around

directing, there is no shelf life for a director. there is also the lessened stress since no one worries if your hair is too long or too short, no one cares if you put on a few holiday pounds...heck, no one cares if you get pregnant and start to show either.

you aren't judged on your appearances but your skill...and we all know that she has plenty of that.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hello, all.

I am a friend of fishyone and I decided to pop in and voice my support of Sam. On another forum I used to visit, there were a lot of Vala lovers who despise Sam (you should have heard what they were saying when Vala left and Sam returned in Beachhead). I thought it was so ridiculous that I stopped visiting the forum. I'm glad there is a thread here to lend my support for the character.

I'd actually thought about visiting the thread earlier, but after having a quick look and seeing that the majority were S/J shippers, I became too chicken...afraid I'd get flamed or ridiculed for not being S/J (you can tell by my sig that I'm S/D... and yeah, like fishyone I don't like to call it "Sam and Dan"... it's always been "S/D" or "The Science Twins" to me).

Going back through some of the posts, someone mentioned there was a group called AT's Angels? Do these people (who are supposed to be S/D) have their own thread or a yahoo group, or any other site? I was just curious.

Comment

Welcome JessM. I prefer Sam/Janet, but this is for you:

Spoiler:
                    scarimor

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the avatar, Scarimor! I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        Colonel Carter is shocked when co leader Mitchell is beamed away by the Asgard, because they need someone else's dumb ideas, but they must be dumber than Colonel Carter's. The mission will be a long one, leaving SG1 with only 3 members for the next few years.
                        I like it.

A few years later, or whenever they have the final episode, Thor comes back to the SGC in tears because Mitchell has managed to provoke an incredibly dangerous enemy who is now out to destroy the Asgard, they can all work together to save them.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
                          Hello, all.

I am a friend of fishyone and I decided to pop in and voice my support of Sam. On another forum I used to visit, there were a lot of Vala lovers who despise Sam (you should have heard what they were saying when Vala left and Sam returned in Beachhead). I thought it was so ridiculous that I stopped visiting the forum. I'm glad there is a thread here to lend my support for the character.
                          How could anyone despise Sam? She's the most likeable person in the galaxy...heck, the universe!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            This vid is *fantastic*,
                            >>> 'Not Just Another Pretty Face' by Shima
                            http://www.shimatsuno.de/upload/PrettyFace2.wmv
                            The official video for Amanda Tapping at the German City Con (a couple of years ago)
                            First Place Winner of the Stargate 2003 Music Video Awards: Carter category
                            http://www.shimatsuno.de/Englisch/e_video.html
                            unfortunately, it's not online anymore at the author's site (I don't know why) . I also can't find it anywhere else. Does anyone here in Samanda know where it can still be found online for new folks to be able to view it and check it out?
                            I really am glad that someone did a vid to this song.

Originally posted by SamFan31
                            I agree, Astro. This is a great vid and lots of fun.

Found it! Here's a link for downloading.

http://p3x237.free.fr/PrettyFace2.wmv
                            Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and watched. It was done really well (loved the mother of 3 with a picture of the rest of SG-1 ), but there was a little too much s/j for my tastes...
                            The really disturbing thing is, this is me on a GOOD day.

Comment

I have been reading this for quite a while now and your comments are very much the same as how I feel. However, i really do believe that Amanda Tapping's role has been shortened since season 9. I am not a Ben Browder fan and nor a Vala fan, because I believe they are not what Stargate was originally about. I loved the interaction between the four main characters and recently Sam has been so much in the background that I feel the makers of SG1 want to oust her. I am a devoted Amanda Tapping fan and I feel that in season 10, she will likely get shoved right into the background. This I would hate because she is one of the originals. maybe AT will get the hint that Stargate is all about women with big boobs and little boys trying to act the hero( and as I think BB acting is about as good as a plank of wood), I am really not looking forward to another season like 9.
                              I hope someone sees Amanda Tapping as the accomplished actress she really is and I wish her all the very best for her future, whether this be in Directing or being the actress that I have come to enjoy.

Comment

I just realised something interesting then while watching Avatar.

The premise of that ep is Teal'c being stuck in the 'game', which is basically drawing on Teal'c's thoughts, experience and the very essence of his character to make the scenario as realistic as possible.
                                Anyway, the first few rounds he gets owned by the Supersoldiers. So he must realise that he will need help in dealing with the scenario. And it's Sam who appears in the next round to help him out Considering that the game is actively creating the scenario based on Teal'c's mind, I can say that Teal'c places great confidence and trust in Sam

There was another moment in The Changeling - Teal'c is going without his symbiote for extended periods of time, and his mind is creating 2 worlds for him depending on when he has or doesnt have the symbiote. Anyway, towards the start of the episode he faints in the commisary and is taken to the infirmary where Janet and Sam are discussing reasons why he may have fainted. Now that scene had some very flirty Sam/Janet moments in ("Goodnight Sam" with a big grin on Janet's face? Obviously subtext going on there ). But it's all in Teal'cs mind which means.... he is teh Sam/Janet shipper! Whooo!

Therefore I rest my case that Sam and Teal'c are awesome characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X