No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm enjoying reading spoilers for season9. Is that bad? That I like spoiling myself?
    I know it means I'll know a lot of what happens by the time I actually see it.

Then there's also the fact that by the time I'm writing about season9 eps, everyone else will have moved on to talk season10. And I really also do not want to miss out on reading some of the brilliant discussion of season9. And I know I'd probably not get the time to go back and read everything you've all written later.

But I can't really join in until I've seen eps, only read, so, sorry if I've been a bit quiet lately.

I still just wanted to let you all know that I'm really enjoying everyone's discussion .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
      I'm enjoying reading spoilers for season9. Is that bad? That I like spoiling myself?
      I know it means I'll know a lot of what happens by the time I actually see it.

Then there's also the fact that by the time I'm writing about season9 eps, everyone else will have moved on to talk season10. And I really also do not want to miss out on reading some of the brilliant discussion of season9. And I know I'd probably not get the time to go back and read everything you've all written later.

But I can't really join in until I've seen eps, only read, so, sorry if I've been a bit quiet lately.

I still just wanted to let you all know that I'm really enjoying everyone's discussion .
      Check your PM deepspace, I might be able to sort something out for you

Comment

Could be.. but if you listen to her cough at the start when they first wake her up from cryo she does sound a little congested. Maybe it was flu season, of course there's always room for sympathy 9 years later

Originally posted by Mandysg1
        Maybe she was just feeling cold after hugging Jack to help defrost him
        sigpic

Comment

You know I never noticed that, you get so used to hearing actors coughing that sometimes you can't tell a real one. I did however notice RDA's voice sounding horse. Must have been from filming outside in that lovely Vancouver weather.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i'm currently reading the episode thread for 'camelot', and i can't believe how BORING it is. not just post after post, but page after page of nothing but talking about space ships. yes, our 'new' audience is a great addition...

k, back to reading about 'camelot'. god help me

sally
            The problem is that they merged the Camelot thread with two, I think, threads specifically talking about the ships. I wish they hadn't because it does make the Camelot thread very boring, for me.

Plus, I have no idea where I left off reading, since there are new pages weaved into the old.

It helps to skim the thread titles on each post-I just look for ones with the Camelot title. (As an aside, the threads about the ships seem to have more season 10 spoilers, untagged, than the Camelot thread.)

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
              The problem is that they merged the Camelot thread with two, I think, threads specifically talking about the ships. I wish they hadn't because it does make the Camelot thread very boring, for me.

Plus, I have no idea where I left off reading, since there are new pages weaved into the old.

It helps to skim the thread titles on each post-I just look for ones with the Camelot title. (As an aside, the threads about the ships seem to have more season 10 spoilers, untagged, than the Camelot thread.)
              I think the ship talk should be left in the tech folder, not merged. For people like us who aren't so technically minded like that, and want to talk about character development etc, it's really tedious. I have to admit, though, the new demographic's tendancy to focus on technology rather than interpersonal interaction, is reflected in the PTB's changes too.
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

see that's the thing, with me i love both aspects of the show. love the characters, character development, personal story lines weaved into the sci fi plots and so on. but i also love seeing he big space battles, and the big ships and explosions and all that.

its unfortunate that there's rarely an equilibrium in sci fi with these various aspects.

Comment

I like the big space battles and stuff, that's why I love sci fi. But what always made Stargate special for me, was the way it was about the people. Yes, the went on adventures and there were the big battles, but it was the people at the centre of it all.

You're right Barbie, we need a balance.

(Currently taking a break from chapter eight of Shattered. I'm crying as I write it, it's so horrible. But it's doing me good on a personal level.)
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    I like the big space battles and stuff, that's why I love sci fi. But what always made Stargate special for me, was the way it was about the people. Yes, the went on adventures and there were the big battles, but it was the people at the centre of it all.

You're right Barbie, we need a balance.

(Currently taking a break from chapter eight of Shattered. I'm crying as I write it, it's so horrible. But it's doing me good on a personal level.)
                    thats the great thing about sci fi when its done well. its a reflection of the real world, often depicted through sureal situations.
                    thats the truly great thing about stargate in particular. we can relate far more easily to the characters, because its set in our world, at our time.
                    so its a shame when they slip a little in their quality. personally i think its still good. its just that we're so used to it being the best sci fi show out there, that it just looks like it sucks.

(and i admire you for being able to write that fic at all. i know i couldn't do it, even if i were a writer.)

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      now that would be interesting. i'm prefer sam to get
                      Spoiler:
                      pregnant the old fashioned way <with jack's help of course >.

sally
                      Eeeeeeew! Just teasing Sal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                        You know I never noticed that, you get so used to hearing actors coughing that sometimes you can't tell a real one. I did however notice RDA's voice sounding horse. Must have been from filming outside in that lovely Vancouver weather.
                        I wonder how they handle that outside filming when it's cold and rainy. I'm surprised they don't get sick more. I know you don't get sick from being in the rain directly, but getting chilled so much has to lower your resistance. Maybe they run to trailers in between shots. But if you look at the early seasons in particular, you can see their breath and they are getting rained on quite a bit.

On the tech mania front--IMHO space battles are not what the show is about in the main. Sure, there are times when you're going to have it, but the show is *Stargate*, not *Prometheus*. To bring this back to Sam, I don't care how good Sam is at coming up with cool tech solutions to problems, if I didn't care about *Sam* I wouldn't care about the solutions. A lot of what I like about Sam in the tech/science area is *the way* she comes up with the way to save the day. Not sure if I'm being clear, but anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          I wonder how they handle that outside filming when it's cold and rainy. I'm surprised they don't get sick more. I know you don't get sick from being in the rain directly, but getting chilled so much has to lower your resistance. Maybe they run to trailers in between shots. But if you look at the early seasons in particular, you can see their breath and they are getting rained on quite a bit.

On the tech mania front--IMHO space battles are not what the show is about in the main. Sure, there are times when you're going to have it, but the show is *Stargate*, not *Prometheus*. To bring this back to Sam, I don't care how good Sam is at coming up with cool tech solutions to problems, if I didn't care about *Sam* I wouldn't care about the solutions. A lot of what I like about Sam in the tech/science area is *the way* she comes up with the way to save the day. Not sure if I'm being clear, but anyway...
                          you're being totally clear. and i that's really what i mean about a balance. if you don't care about the characters, you aren't going to care if they survive the battle, or if they come up with the solution to save the day. seeing Sam in episodes like red sky, or a matter of time, or grace brings that to mind for me. great fx, very cool cgi stuff, but also the whole processes that the characters go through is important. sci fi, like all genres, is about the characters. its the delivery, the acting, the characters and the packaging in equal proportions that make it great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

I think you'll like this early quote from producer John Smith, taken from Thomasina Gibson's Stargate SG1,The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2: "You know with Amanda that she's going to be the first on set ... She's going to be five minutes early with a big smile on her face, every day. Not only that, but she'll be fully prepared, and have her dialogue in place. She's got the lion's share and it's all that technobabble that she rattles off like nobody's business." Smith can't say enough about the actress's 'gung ho' approach, no matter what's thrown at her. "She's out there in the wind, the rain and the mud without a murmur. She's always a trouper."

I think that Amanda's work ethic and professionalism continued right through the next seven seasons. And she's really modeled grace under pressure in some uncertain times off set too, another reason to admire her so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              I think you'll like this early quote from producer John Smith, taken from Thomasina Gibson's Stargate SG1,The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2: "You know with Amanda that she's going to be the first on set ... She's going to be five minutes early with a big smile on her face, every day. Not only that, but she'll be fully prepared, and have her dialogue in place. She's got the lion's share and it's all that technobabble that she rattles off like nobody's business." Smith can't say enough about the actress's 'gung ho' approach, no matter what's thrown at her. "She's out there in the wind, the rain and the mud without a murmur. She's always a trouper."

I think that Amanda's work ethic and professionalism continued right through the next seven seasons. And she's really modeled grace under pressure in some uncertain times off set too, another reason to admire her so much.
                              absolutely. even up as far as season 8, they still talk about how professional she is. there was something about it being at the end of a long day, and she and i thin chris judge were doing a scene (i think it was avatar, because i think it was judge and MW talking about it), and chris (i think) said something about it, and how they kept messing up their lines, then saying something about how it was the norm for him, but extremely rare for amanda.

there was another one, where there was a mention of all of them not knowing there lines, then it was quickly corrected by saying, well 3 of them anyway. then a pause before them saying that amanda never messes up her lines.

the commentaries always have a mention of how brilliant amanda is regardless of whats thrown at her.

Comment

yeah, what one of them said that their dream friday was to have amanda and teryl together. they knew that they'll get home on time
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X