No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, AD, you WILL be on the floor, I'll grant you that. And probably hyperventilating. I've never seen AT wearing, um.... well, not on Stargate.... um... she.... and that
    Spoiler:
    bikini
    was um... (You want to read that one word spoiler I put in there AD, you really do. *g*)

But I didn't base my rating on those bits, unfortunately (much as tptb are probably hoping their "intended" demographic will do).

Great acting though! Really great acting. AT and DH did a stellar job with what they were given. And I DID like the fact that
    Spoiler:
    Sam was the part of Rodney's subconscious that was invariably gifted with the 'right' answer(s) to each conundrum.

EDIT--> Something I do want to add. While I was watching I figured, given the kind of lines (dialogue) that Sam had throughout, several of her lines in particular
    Spoiler:
    regarding her superior intelligence, which she fairly flaunted to Rodney during their little arguments and then later, her trying to jump him and snog him (partially to distract him), I'm pretty sure the anti-Sam sect will have a fair field day dissecting those lines, choice of words and actions (even as a hallucination) over the next while.
    SAmandans may want to avoid those threads/areas until the proverbial smoke clears. Because I predict it'll be murky in those areas for a bit.

Just a prediction, mind you. MHO.
    Last edited by minigeek; 12 December 2005, 05:53 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      Well, AD, you WILL be on the floor, I'll grant you that. And probably hyperventilating. I've never seen AT wearing, um.... well, not on Stargate.... um... she.... and that
      Spoiler:
      bikini
      was um... (You want to read that one word spoiler I put in there AD, you really do. *g*)

But I didn't base my rating on those bits, unfortunately (much as tptb are probably hoping their "intended" demographic will do).

Great acting though! Really great acting. AT and DH did a stellar job with what they were given. And I DID like the fact that
      Spoiler:
      Sam was the part of Rodney's subconscious that was invariably gifted with the 'right' answer(s) to each conundrum.

EDIT--> Something I do want to add. While I was watching I figured, given the kind of lines (dialogue) that Sam had throughout, several of her lines in particular
      Spoiler:
      regarding her superior intelligence, which she fairly flaunted to Rodney during their little arguments and then later, her trying to jump him and snog him (partially to distract him), I'm pretty sure the anti-Sam sect will have a fair field day dissecting those lines, choice of words and actions (even as a hallucination) over the next while.
      SAmandans may want to avoid those threads/areas until the proverbial smoke clears. Because I predict it'll be murky in those areas for a bit.

Okay, minigeek, thanks for the info.

Spoiler:
      Would you say that one's assessment of this show may be influenced by whether you are a Jack/Sam shipper or not? Even though Sam is Rodney's hallucination of Sam?

Comment

I'd say no, chocdoc. Well, I'm sure the shippers (J/S) won't be happy, but I tend not to care much about those sorts of innuendos when they're written the way this episode was written, so no. As a 'shipper, this episode didn't have an impact on me one way or another. As a Sam Carter fan, it did. If ya read my original post (before my reply to AD), my opinion is based on what I feel the quality of the story and the writing on the episode entailed. Loved the acting, though! Both sides. Very funny; great chemistry those two have. (when their dialogue didn't get in the way)

Comment

stomps foot!!!

dang it, i wanna see GUP, and i won't be able to for at least a month
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'd say no, chocdoc. Well, I'm sure the shippers (J/S) won't be happy, but I tend not to care much about those sorts of innuendos when they're written the way this episode was written, so no. As a 'shipper, this episode didn't have an impact on me one way or another. As a Sam Carter fan, it did. If ya read my original post (before my reply to AD), my opinion is based on what I feel the quality of the story and the writing on the episode entailed. Loved the acting, though! Both sides. Very funny; great chemistry those two have. (when their dialogue didn't get in the way)

ah, I see. You were hoping for better writing of the episode.

Well I"m glad to hear that the acting by DH and AT was so good--that makes it worth watching for me. Soon here we'll find out what AD's impressions were.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              stomps foot!!!

dang it, i wanna see GUP, and i won't be able to for at least a month

I know, I know. Oh well. I also can't wait for the 4th Horseman Part 2 and Ripple Effect!

Comment

Sorry for yet another question minigeek, I feel like we've got you on the hotseat for no good reason. But I've got to ask, on a scale of one to ten, how right was I?

golfbooy's original predictions: here and here

I'm so down on Atlantis already, I was hoping that this one would change my opinion for the better. Any chance of that?

Comment

If I were to write a brief review (without spoilers) it would essentially say this. I didn't like the writing or the story for GUP. I found it a cheap immitation of the original "Grace" (which I was especially hoping it would not be). I know the episode was designed to emulate those qualities of GRACE, hence the title, but I found the premise of the plot-devices they used to be weak. I thought the story and the character growth it intended to represent for Rodney came off flat, imho. And despite some great acting, the characters just couldn't find a way to make it interesting. In fact, there were moments where they literally stood there and looked bored/unsure of what to do with themselves. On top of that, while I was looking FORWARD to the Sam/Rodney snark (I love those two whey they play ), I think the writers ended up abusing the Carter character to make their point vis-a-vis Rodney's personality defect(s) and to attempt to give his character some kind of emotional growth, which never actually culminated. It barely teased. Indeed, there was nothing profound to speak of in the entire epsiode, which in the end, wasn't particularily erudite despite its rather awkward pretense at being so. NOTHING of any consequence actually happened. So it was a disappointment for me, overall. And I found it difficult to justify some of the lines and actions they ultimately gave Sam as a result. I expected them to use and abuse her as Rodney's halllucination; I was looking forward to the over-the-topness I figured would ensue, but they wrote her personality too "normal" during her helpful moments for me to believe that she'd suddenly erupt into the kind of lines and actions she did when she was being "used". What I mean by that, is .... she was REALLY Sam Carter too much of the time. So that when she wasn't "herself", it would be all too easy to believe she could/would ACTUALLY do those things. Hence I think her character was somewhat abused by that, in the end.

My humble opinion entirely.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    bikini

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

mini,
                    Thanks for sharing your impressions about GUP! I am a Big, Honkin' Sam and Jack Shipper but I also adore Sam/AT. So, I'm looking forward to Rodney having a fine time cause that's the closest he'll ever get to Sam!!! Hallucinatin'!!! I've always enjoyed Sam's and Rodney's chemistry! So, if this is good for some laughs and to see AT stretch herself in this role, I think I'll not implode!! Hee, hee!! nell
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      ah, I see. You were hoping for better writing of the episode.

Well I"m glad to hear that the acting by DH and AT was so good--that makes it worth watching for me. Soon here we'll find out what AD's impressions were.
                      AD is the precise demographic I think this episode was aiming for, so it'll be interesting to see if they "hit" with him.

Comment

If I were to write a brief review (without spoilers) it would essentially say this. I didn't like the writing or the story for GUP. I found it a cheap immitation of the original "Grace" (which I was especially hoping it would not be). I know the episode was designed to emulate those qualities of GRACE, hence the title, but I found the premise of the plot-devices they used to be weak. I thought the story and the character growth it intended to represent for Rodney came off flat, imho. And despite some great acting, the characters just couldn't find a way to make it interesting. In fact, there were moments where they literally stood there and looked bored/unsure of what to do with themselves. On top of that, while I was looking FORWARD to the Sam/Rodney snark (I love those two whey they play ), I think the writers ended up abusing the Carter character to make their point vis-a-vis Rodney's personality defect(s) and to attempt to give his character some kind of emotional growth, which never actually culminated. It barely teased. Indeed, there was nothing profound to speak of in the entire epsiode, which in the end, wasn't particularily erudite despite its rather awkward pretense at being so. NOTHING of any consequence actually happened. So it was a disappointment for me, overall. And I found it difficult to justify some of the lines and actions they ultimately gave Sam as a result. I expected them to use and abuse her as Rodney's halllucination; I was looking forward to the over-the-topness I figured would ensue, but they wrote her personality too "normal" during her helpful moments for me to believe that she'd suddenly erupt into the kind of lines and actions she did when she was being "used". What I mean by that, is .... she was REALLY Sam Carter too much of the time. So that when she wasn't "herself", it would be all too easy to believe she could/would ACTUALLY do those things. Hence I think her character was somewhat abused by that, in the end.

My humble opinion entirely.
                        Just read this. Disregard my other post, this says it all. Thanks for the assesment and for sharing the ep with us.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                          Sorry for yet another question minigeek, I feel like we've got you on the hotseat for no good reason. But I've got to ask, on a scale of one to ten, how right was I?

golfbooy's original predictions: here and here

I'm so down on Atlantis already, I was hoping that this one would change my opinion for the better. Any chance of that?
                          Well I suppose you had some right and some, imho, not.

GUP was certainly intended to be the same kind of episode for Rodney's character as GRACE was for Sam's. But where the original GRACE had some really great character moments and development in it, GUP fell flat on its hind end (imho). It came off trite and far too focussed on superficialities to make any real (lasting) impact on Rodney's character at all. In fact, I don't think there were more than three moments total where he actually reflected on himself and/or his choices in life. Most of it was just plain sarcasm/snark/snark/snark/woe/doom/gloom/and sexual innuendo. Typical for Rodney, but in an episode that was (arguably) a character builder for him, not particularily deep or profound.

Comment

Well... GUP is over. And...

Best thing about this episode? AT and DH did some very fine acting. Classic AT/SamCarter stuff, if you love all her little facial expressions and you love the classic stuff AT does to make Sam--Sam, you'll enjoy that all unto itself.
                            <snip>

And.... though this was an accounting of events and by no means an actual review, minigeek rates this episode ** stars, out of a possible 4.

The acting in this ep was first rate. The story.... the writing...

Ta!
                            mini(ffff! my fingers hurrrt!!)
                            I couldn't green ya, but you rock minigeek! Take it from someone who has to (and chooses to) wait until January.

*eyes all of those other peeps with various connections*

Thanks so much!

EDIT: And upon further reading, I appreciate your insight that much more. I think I owe golfbooy 50 bucks or something...
                            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 12 December 2005, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing you GUP impressions with us, Minigeek.

My LJ

Comment

Well I suppose you had some right and some, imho, not.

GUP was certainly intended to be the same kind of episode for Rodney's character as GRACE was for Sam's. But where the original GRACE had some really great character moments and development in it, GUP fell flat on its hind end (imho). It came off trite and far too focussed on superficialities to make any real (lasting) impact on Rodney's character at all. In fact, I don't think there were more than three moments total where he actually reflected on himself and/or his choices in life. Most of it was just plain sarcasm/snark/snark/snark/woe/doom/gloom/and sexual innuendo. Typical for Rodney, but in an episode that was (arguably) a character builder for him, not particularily deep or profound.

Spoiler:
                                I guess the question for me is, is Rodney capable of such deep character growth in a situation like this? Sam and Rodney would not experience this type of situation in the same way. Rodney is capable of character growth but how would he show it? Sam's growth would be more obvious and clear, like in Grace. Rodney's may or may not be. Sounds like you are saying it was superficial for Rodney compared to Sam's Grace. Probably not that surprising. Look at how they've written Jack for years. Yes, you can tell he has grown, but there's even a debate about his feelings for sam, for crying out loud. The guy doesn't express a whole heck of alot of feelings, except in limited events.

Rodney's too arrogant and grumpy to show obvious clear character growth !!

Spoiler:
                                Sounds like a similar complaint for the writing of Epiphany for Sheppard from some fans -- not much in the way of profound character growth as they had hoped.

Comment

Working...
                                X