No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SamFan31 said: Was this what you had in mind?

Yeah, Baby! Gotta love it. The keying was so seamless, that you could barely tell that it was CG. Very cool. Thanks!

Comment

I hardly feel worthy even weighing in on this discussion. Since about 11 last night, when golfbooy had his excellent rant, the discussion on this thread has been elevated about 200%!!!!! Wow! In fact, I enjoyed the discussion so much that as I skimmed it, I copied and pasted it into a Word doc so I could print it out and give it a good, long, thoughtful read.

As to the Jack/Sam/ discussion, that train has SO left the station for me that it's not even funny. I will say that I found the whole thing extremely disturbing, not just because I'm a S/J Shipper, but also because DDL just didn't seem anything like the kind of guy Sam would choose. He seemed too young, too unworldly, too giddy, for Sam. I read recently on another thread (so I don't know it to be fact) that they considered Ben Browder for the role of . I think that would have been a horse race. He could have given Jack some serious competition. DDL, no contest in my mind.

Sam needs someone who challenges her, who doesn't patronize her, who not only understands her, but also respects her. Jack, for all his faults and the age difference, gives her all those things. He is her friend, her confidant, her equal. He's certainly not the same as her, but they're equals. I can see a life-long relationship between those two characters, and frankly, no one can convince me that anyone else is a better alternative for either of them. For all their trouble with words (which I think would be quickly overcome once the barriers between them were broken down), they intuitively "get" each other. And that, plus respect, is what makes relationships last. I must be an expert on the topic! I’ve been married 22 years! (*steps down from ship soapbox*)

In closing, I want to say how much I admire Sam. I think she is an inspiration to many women, me included. The reasons I love her:

Sam Carter is:

...the glue that holds the team together,

...the brains of the team,

...the conscience of the team,

...strong, yet vulnerable,

...tough, yet compassionate,

She is a strong, complex woman...a contradiction in many ways...but consistent in many more.

Comment

ÜberSG-1Fan said: I'm patient.

FCOL, I'm a Sam/Jack shipper...by definition, I HAVE to be patient.

*cough*

*snort*

*snicker*

heh heh... heh... heh heh... *sigh*

Ooohhhh yeah. my name's the dancer of freaking patience

Comment

mmhm, well fic wise, sam and teal'c have always beenfun. and i have a fondness for Eric, a oc i made up that sam has a fling with (he gets involved in the sgc too, but he's got his own secrets so actually gets the meaning of the word 'classified')

show wise, i dunno, agent Barrett? Cameron if you'd tack on about 5 years and lose the 'she's a member of my dream team' attitude
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
            After reading your comments, I wished Sam and Jack would have had a real talk after the events of New Order when Jack was back and Sam had survived Fifth's torture. They should have had a talk about their feelings --- even if was--what we do in our jobs right now is much more important than getting together. They could have acknowledged their feelings like responsible adults, and then decided together what they would do about it, even if it meant that they couldn't act on those feelings.
            I'm with you on this, chocdoc. The writers tended to be too melodramatic with Sam and Jack's attraction. A lighter hand, esp early on, would have made their attraction more without having to do much more. At the very least, give us the aftermath of their heart to heart talk, before we see them fishing.

(An example would be my entry on the Stargate the Musical thread. Not a plug! It's about Sam and Jack; it's fun, esp if you know Smokey and the Miracles' songs! I suggest this humbly, really. )

Just sayin'.
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              For purely seflish reasons, thats good for me - now I dont have to go up against another awesome fic writer!

Though looking at Strix's and Rowan's fic, I don't think I have much of a chance anyway
              Gosh, AD, I had the same thoughts about going up against you. I promise you'll be getting my vote.

And in case you all were wondering, Trix Varia is my evil twin skippy.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                I'm with you on this, chocdoc. The writers tended to be too melodramatic with Sam and Jack's attraction. A lighter hand, esp early on, would have made their attraction more without having to do much more. At the very least, give us the aftermath of their heart to heart talk, before we see them fishing.

(An example would be my entry on the Stargate the Musical thread. Not a plug! It's about Sam and Jack; it's fun, esp if you know Smokey and the Miracles' songs! I suggest this humbly, really. )

Just sayin'.
                And the link to your song would be.......? (Please!)

Comment

spoilers for s7's chimera

Originally posted by skydiver

i do agree (i'm not risking the quote bug)

i think a lot of pete was a plot device.

first of all, he tailed her to the stakeout??? dude, i don't think so. he just hung out outside norad and randomly picked a white panel van to follow? trust me, colorado springs is not that small and you don't just hang out outside amiliatary installation, not since 911 that is.
                  i read one of the writers (can't remember who) that said that pete followed sam from her house to the van. i can't remember if the van was already at daniel's, but the point is that pete followed sam from her house. so, maybe not as stupid an idea of thinking he followed her from norad ('guessing' she was in the van?), but still bad nonetheless because pete 'still' spied on/followed sam.

sally

ps - another way of posting without hitting 'quote'. what i just did was c/p the part of your post i wanted to reply to, then hit 'qr - quick reply' and pasted it and then manually put in your name with the quote tags.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    I hope to hear others views on this subject. I know there are at least a couple of anti s/j shippers on this thread, but I’d really like to hear what you think of what I said. if you had to pick which guy was more suited to sam, would you pick jack or pete? and if you didn't like either, which person would you pick (you can pick another character or make someone up)? and think of this from what's best for sam, not your own personal feelings pro or con about s/j ship.
                    I'm not really a Sam/Jack shipper, but I'm not really anti-Sam/Jack, either. I think the ship is pretty clear on the show, and I don't find it particularly out of character for either of them. I think it has been handled pretty tastefully. I don't think Sam and Jack as a couple would be an easy fit, if for no other reason than their personality types. Neither of them deals with the touchy-feely stuff very well, and I have to wonder how easy it would be for them to shift their relationship from the comfortable military CO/2IC model they've been operating under for so long to something else.

But, I also can see them trying to make it work anyway. After all, they have eight years of history together, eight years of bonding under extremely stressful situations, and the bonds that they have established over that time could really defy definition. You know, if you can camp with someone, travel with someone, fight with someone, kill someone, save someone's life, drink beer with someone, eat someone's cooking, etc. etc. etc... Romantic relationship or not, Jack and Sam know each other inside and out, probably better than many married couples. If they decided to try to make it work, they'd know exactly what they were getting into.

I can understand Sam falling for Pete... From Grace we knew that Sam wanted to experience being in love (and everyting that goes along with it) and Pete was there... nice, handsome, a bit of a rogue (lunatic fringe), and he clearly fell for her. He was safe and available. Makes a lot of sense to me. But, he was far more inappropriate for her than Jack.

Who do I think would make the best partner for Sam? Well, if it wasn't perfectly clear in canon that she's straight, I'd say Janet. But, since she's pretty clearly straight, I'd have to say Alec Colson. The man was her intellectual equal (or nearly so), motivated, compassionate about important things, ethical, and not too bad looking. They would have a lot in common; they could have intellegent conversations together... go fly planes together... invent things together...

My LJ

Comment

Hey guys! Here's another fic I found, in case you haven't seen it before...

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" by Sugi

Fic...
                      Spoiler:
                      This story is neat, as it's sort of an AU from COTG where Sam is a colonel. Not only is she a colonel, but she matches wits with Jack and everyone else any time. I love the Sam we've always had, but it'd be so cool to see this over-confident, well-respected, no-nonsense, still emotionally-stunted Sam, who's not only at odds with Jack, but is actually even MORE of a force to be reckoned with. Warning: It's movin' on up to the SHIPPY side.

ALSO, I watched EDM last night, and did anyone mention the
                      Spoiler:
                      funny symbolism before? I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not, but the briefing room moments that led up to the Patch Removal Scene had Sam, Cam, Daniel and Teal'c in completely different clothes. Sam, Cameron and Daniel were all in various combos of the black, green and blue uniforms, and Teal'c was in his Jaffa robe. I had to laugh. Whether they did it on purpose or not, it totally tied into the disjointed aspect of the four characters for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by Agent Dark:
                        But lets take 2010 - which is actually our own Sam and Jack, just in the future. From watching it again last night, it's quite obvious that they've had a fairly bad falling out, and I don't think it was just because of their different viewpoints on the Aschen. It may have had something to do with Joe, or maybe the rest of SG1 or maybe even Hammond's death, but there was definately something else that happened to drive them apart. Jack washed his hands clean of Carter (and maybe Daniel too. I can't see him doing that to Teal'c) and retired to his cabin. Where I might add, he was living alone, and seemingly relishing it.
                        Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with your assesment of 2010.

Yes, they've had a falling out. Jack has sequestered himself from the rest of the world and turned his back on SG-1. He and Sam haven't spoken in years. Janet has become totally useless, as has Sam. They're allowed to continue working out of a sense of delicacy, nothing more. Teal'c has returned to Chulak and rarely sees his friends thanks to bad feelings between the Jaffa and the Tau'ri. Daniel, well, who knows what Daniel was doing? Hammond was dead, murdered before he could make a difference. The entire population of Earth had been duped by the Aschen, coddled into a false sense of security and totally impotent to fight back. Hell, Kinsey was the President. The major, overriding theme of 2010 is that this is entirely, one hundred percent, without a doubt, wrong. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

The moral of that particular story is that things can only be right when SG-1--O'neill, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c--work together to fix things, when they're out there saving the world.

And, to bring things back around to the original topic, 2010 is the episode that sets the Jack/Sam relationship in stone. It's not Divide and Conquer. It's not even Beneath the Surface, which does a damn fine job of solidifying that bond in its own right. It's 2010. It's that one scene at Jack's cabin where they're both completely miserable. They hate what each other has become. But, in spite of that, they still care about each other. Sorry, but it's there. The actors did a great job in that scene and Brad Wright did an outstanding job writing it. I think that scene still has some of the best dialogue he's written for the characters, and that's saying something.

I agree with you that something, probably something more than what we saw, had driven Sam and Jack apart. But the whole point of the episode is that that is WRONG. And SG-1 spends the entire episode trying to undo this terrible, horrible future that has come to pass. Sorry, but the message in 2010 is that this isn't how things will work out, and that SG-1 will go to remarkable lengths to make sure it won't.

Comment

And to think that a few weeks ago we were discussing whether the high quality of our posts, observations, and the whole Kingdom of Samanda might be driving newbies away. I didn't think we needed to worry then, and I don't think we need to worry now. We just need to get the rest of our elders back (Glad you've been here tonight, Strix!)!

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                            Yeah, I didn't get too far reading that thread, but if that's the worst they can come up with - KUDOS TO SAM!

Someone mentioned in that thread that McKay is smart and not conventionally handsome, so why does Sam have to be beautiful? Well, like you said, it's television. And non-beautiful women only get supporting parts. Actually, less than supporting parts. Generally, non-speaking background parts. It's definitely a double standard, because average-looking guys are allowed, but not average-looking women.

The leader of the SGC is a man, so he can be played by Beau Bridges. The leader of the Atlantis team is a woman, so we get the beautiful Weir. [She's not my favorite, but I do acknowledge that she is quite pretty.] Of course, you have to have the good-looking men, too, but compare the not-so-good-looking men to the non-existent not-so-good-looking women in recurring speaking parts.

What was my point? Oh, nevermind.

Amanda is gorgeous. So be it. That's hardly a negative.

Oh please! Can anyone say that any of the members of SG-1 are unattractive in any way, shape or form?

RDA and MS are both drop dead gorgeous. CJ has a body that can stop traffic and people have the nerve to complain that Amanda is attractive? The thing I love about Amanda and the character of Sam is that the show isn't all in your face about how attractive Sam may be. She isn't prancing around the show with perfect hair, a mini skirt and high heel shoes pretending to be a soldier or scientist. For the most part, she is running around in the same BDU's as the guys, often covered in dirt and grime, just trying to do her job to the best of her ability. Yes Amanda's natural beauty will always shine through; however, she seems to go out of her way to make sure that Sam's intelligence, hard work, loyalty and dedication are the attributes that people remember. Attractive people do have certain advantages in the entertainment business; however, I really don't believe I could name a single actress who I think could have portrayed the character of Samantha Carter more realistically than Amanda has done.
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 08 September 2005, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              *warning, long winded discussion ahead*

Enter the Non-Shipper!

why does this scare me?

If I had to choose someone for Sam, it'd be either Daniel (thats early series Daniel, before they got the sibling vibe going) or Janet.

turning my s/j shipper side off, i'd pick daniel too. he's everything jack is with sam, only in a gentler and safer package. i'm not sure daniel could provide the 'thrill seeking' side of sam like i see jack doing, but daniel is nothing but respectful and sincere with sam. he's nice and cares for her, and as a sam fan, what more could i ask of a romantic partner for her?

turning my s/j shipper side back on, *i'm* attracted to jack/rda, so i want *sam* to end up with him. (that's in its simple form)

concerning janet, i don't want their relationship to turn sexual. it all goes to relating to the sam character, and i'm not gay. i think sam and janet make *great* friends, but i'd never want to see it change into a romantic relationship.

i really can't see sam and teal'c sustaining a romantic relationship. totally different upbringings, mindsets, and takes on life. i know sam has a hard time talking about her feelings, but teal'c has a hard time just talking.

as for characters outside of our regular players, the only character i've seen that even comes close to being good enough for sam is orlin. and they picked a great actor to play him. (too short for amanda, but still had charisma to me)

So where does that leave me? I would prefer to see Sam stay alone (and not because I'm a cold hearted *******! ). Fairy tale endings dont happen in real life, so I don't see why Sam should get one (nor any of SG1 for that matter). I guess I just find something appealing about the sacrifices heroes go through. For Sam, saving the world has cost her her social and personal life. But inspite of that, she pulls through and with the support of her friends is happy with the way she lives her life.

And I think thats what makes a great character

oh, i LOVE happy endings! they might not happen that much in real life, but i do think they happen. and besides, tv/movies are supposed to entertain us, not remind us of our own sufferings and/or short comings. at the end of the day/show, i want all the characters to be happy. and why not, with everything they've done for the world.

side note on this - i remember talking to this friend once that was writing an actor/her fic. she didn't have them get together at the end, and i asked her why. she said she didn't think it would happen in real life, so why have it happen in her fic? and i said, to heck with real life, what do you *want* to have happen? she said for them to get together, and i said then do it. and after she did it, she wrote back and said it felt fantastic. she'd never let her hopes and dreams come out like that, and it was so totally gratifying and enlightening. i almost wanted to tease her, but another friend said something similar to me before that. she/they just couldn't see past real life into what they wanted in their dreams (it astounded me). fanfic and tv/movies are our releases from reality, so give me those happy endings!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Strix varia said: But, since she's pretty clearly straight, I'd have to say Alec Colson. The man was her intellectual equal (or nearly so), motivated, compassionate about important things, ethical, and not too bad looking. They would have a lot in common; they could have intellegent conversations together... go fly planes together... invent things together...

Alec Colson?!?!

Ah man. I won't deny that the guy's good-looking and an intellectual equal, but he seemed REALLY irrational the whole time. I'll admit that it's probably because I had 150+ episodes that helped ME see where Sam was coming from, but the guy had some invincibility and naivete issues that seriously needed to be checked. Because of that (and the fact that I don't think he could really take care of himself), I kinda see him falling in the same category as Pete. See below.

I still wish he came back, though. Apparently that's the ONLY way we'll see Sam in a seat other than shotgun. You know, because Jack, John and Cameron are the only experienced pilots Stargate has. Grrrrr. Don't even get me started...

If I had to pick ANYONE from the large pool of suitors (and if Jack had never, EVER entered her life): It'd be Barrett or Teal'c.

OK, Here's my version of the "Not Good Enough For Sam Carter" List:

Narim - intellectual; Sam would have to save his life 24/7.
                                Martouf - intellectual; he's adorable, but has some issues with identifying Jolinar from Sam - and that's a problem.
                                Orlin - intellectual; but he, like Narim and Martouf, lacks that ummph!, that spark of life that would otherwise bore the woman to tears.
                                Pete - what he lacks in the intellectual department, he makes up with toting a gun; what he makes up with toting a gun, he completely destroys by being a dipwad.
                                Daniel - he's most definitely GOOD ENOUGH for Sam, but he's one identical "science twin" glance from being apart of the same genetic code.

Did I miss anyone?
                                Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 07 September 2005, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X