No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, everyone---de-lurking here for the first time.

I can't believe what I've been reading about the boorish way Amanda Tapping has been treated by TPTB! She is one of the primary reasons SG-1 has been the success it's been for the past eight years; she brings beauty, poise and intelligence to the role of Carter---her acting range is incredible!

The fact that AT can remain every inch the lady she is after being treated so shabbily by TPTB is to her credit. She really is a class act in every sense of the word and an amazing actress who deserves far better than she's been handed.

I'm having a difficult time being positive like the rest of you, so I think I'll close this post before any of it spills out, in deference to AT and all you Samandans.... Just know that I stand with you.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      This is one of those times when, unfortunately, bad things end up happening to really good people.

I've never been an "online fan" before. In spring of last year, when I joined this forum, and later found this thread, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was directed here because Sam Carter was my favorite character on Stargate SG-1 and, I talked about her a lot at work, in the studio, and over coffee at Timmies. Ironically, the person who finally directed me to these message boards wasn't even a member of SAmanda. Wasn't even a member of the Stargate fandom (at the time). And I certainly never thought I'd ever see the day when I'd have to admit that I've posted more than three hundred times to a message board online. Wow.

From the very beginning of my very first moments in this thread, the folks here have so consistently been just the most generous, kind-hearted people. I simply don't believe I could possibly have found a more welcoming, more wonderful place to take my first forray into what it's like to join the ranks of online fandom.

In the past five months, I've made some neat new freinds, been lucky enough to share some really awesome ideas about science fiction in general, and about an outstanding character that I can now say - with all honesty - is one of my all-time favorite fictional entities. Samantha Carter can never truly 'be lost' because (for me, and I think for a lot of the folks around here who see what I see in her character) she is and she will always be a brilliant bastion (for female fans perhaps most especially) of what can be possible. What isn't so far-fetched, after all.

And of course - without any question - how TERRIFIC and OUTSTANDING an actress we think Amanda Tapping is. Because without Amanda, there would be no Sam Carter. Her character is as much a national treasure to her fans as Carter herself is to her country. She is a shining example of what a female in sci-fi CAN BE. And Amanda gave her 'life' in that regard. To lose that, even marginally, would be a detriment both to the television world of science-fiction as a genre and to SG-1 as a franchise.

When I began watching SG-1, I was so completely and pleasantly surprised by what Sam represented. Carter is a tour-de-force to look up to. She's a scientist, a soldier and a woman. She's got brains and beauty, strength and compassion. And even with all those amazing qualities she didn't turn into a cliche! I'm still not entirely sure how that was even possible, and yet she has never become an unbelievable character. Extraordinary - absolutely - but never for a moment has she been unbelieveable. I think she owes that to Amanda Tapping as much (in my opinion even moreso) than she does to the writing team who derrives her dialogue.

As a fan of that spectacular character, I'd be saddened beyond words to see her disappear. But I'd be even more disappointed to realize it had ended up being a result of some (truly cliche) ploy of "Network Interference." Or even worse - as a result of some ridiculous network executive's callous 'physical' commentary stemming from the fact that Amanda Tapping isn't 29 anymore. (And if that makes the rest of you as utterly disgusted to hear about as it made me when the innuendo was raised, then I think we're all on the same page).

Sam Carter is an institution to SG-1, and Amanda Tapping is Sam Carter. Not to mention that Amanda has such grace and class as an actress, there's no possible way to replace either her or her character without leaving a great, gaping hole in the Stargate universe.

No matter what they have to do to keep her viable, and to keep Amanda on board as a lead in SG-1 - not a victim of some callous off-hand decision-making process - I hope with every fibre of the fan in me, that the executive team at Stargate Productions does it. Because they have also been her colleagues for the previous decade. They, more than anyone, know what she is capable of and what Sam Carter means to SG-1.

As some of you know, I work in post-production, so I'm not a stranger to the entertainment industry. But there are always means to bend the board. If the network is putting pressure on SGP, then I would dare to hope they'll fight back against that pressure. I'd dare to hope they will give Amanda (and her character) the support that she deserves after spending a decade of her lifetime with the Stargate family. Business is business, but there are always ways and means.

mini(the melancholoy)geek
      Mini you stated that soo well. I have never been an online fan either but for the reason you stated above I joined AT.com. I have met and become friends with some great people and have AT and Carter to thank for that. That was before this thread was started otherwise I might have join in here instead of lurking.

When I began watching SG-1, I was so completely and pleasantly surprised by what Sam represented. Carter is a tour-de-force to look up to. She's a scientist, a soldier and a woman. She's got brains and beauty, strength and compassion. And even with all those amazing qualities she didn't turn into a cliche! I'm still not entirely sure how that was even possible, and yet she has never become an unbelievable character. Extraordinary - absolutely - but never for a moment has she been unbelieveable. I think she owes that to Amanda Tapping as much (in my opinion even moreso) than she does to the writing team who derrives her dialogue.

So well put that deserved repeating. I wouldn't be surprised to see that the only episode with high ratings will be the ones with AT in them if she decides to stay. Hmm wonder if I can find a long enough cable to reach from Canada to the US so that I can see the Canadian series she was talking about.....

Although I am not a Samadian I am proud to see other thoughtful fans do such a wonderful thing for Amanda. Pats on the back to all those involved way to go!

Cheers,

Jan
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Here's a silly idea...how about they continue to keep her on as an integral part of the show?

How about rather than decreasing her role, thereby insulting the actress, the character and the fans, they actually increase her role so that she is kind of the "new Jack" in that everyone plays off of her?

How about we see her evolve in a leadership role and butt heads with Mitchell now and then as she shows him what's what?

How about we see her getting to know Vala...have them grate on each others nerves at first (and once in awhile) but then have them all work together for the good of the team?

How about we see her put into a wide variety of situations where she doesn't immediately have the answer and has to fight her way through a problem to make things work?

How about I step away from my computer before I punch a hole in my monitor???
        Gee Mary Beth wish you were one of the writers on the show.....or had Robert Cooper's job!

Cheers,

Jan
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
          Gee Mary Beth wish you were one of the writers on the show.....or had Robert Cooper's job!

Cheers,

Jan
          Thank you...perhaps I should forward my resume for consideration...

But then considering the fact that SG-1 is about to implode from its own stupidity, I'm not sure I'd want to be associated with it after all.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            She announced that she will be filming a short part in an upcoming movie with Christian Slater and also possibly considering shooting a Canadian series named Whistler in which she will play a lead role and also a part in a TV movie of the week as a bumblingdetective who keeps botching cases and has a chip on shoulder because of her mishaps.

Coming out of lurkerdom to post some info I found on this new series Whistler.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/piq...istler+TV+1242

"It’s a true-blue drama," says York. "It’s very clever, hip and sophisticated. The writing could stand up to anything currently being made. I gave the first two scripts to Sam (Feldman), he read them and said, ‘Where’s the next one?’"

Described as "an action-packed ride through the politics, especially the personal ones, of a high-end resort town, where family and interpersonal pressures are ready to blow" the premise of Whistler may seem familiar. On the surface, it’s suspiciously like The Mountain, last year’s ill-fated WB series about life in a ski resort.

However, York says setting the shows in mountain resorts is where the resemblance ends. Whereas The Mountain used soap opera structure to move along the story of the prodigal son’s return home, Whistler promises to be headier fare.

"It’s The O.C. meets Twin Peaks," stated the producer.

And it’s the surrealistic Twin Peaks-feel that is sure to have viewers tuning in. Like David Lynch’s late-’80s series, it’s the death of a popular local youth that creates a mystery from which the dramatic tension develops in Whistler. While Lynch had viewers wondering who killed Laura Palmer, York and company plan to engage their audience with the story of a local golden boy who returns with a medal from Torino and a host of endorsements, only to succumb to a suspicious death.

"We’re aiming at a 15- to 40-year-old audience, but anyone interested in serialized, multi-line stories, like Desperate Housewives, will enjoy it. And there’s a real sense of humour in the stories," said York.

The producer is also counting on stunning visuals to complement the writing and put the series head to head with its most obvious competitors."

Now, unless I'm reading something wrong here, it sounds like Amanda does have a contract ...

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            She's just received the contract last week but has not yet signed and, again, does not know how many episodes in which manner she will be playing Sam in either show.
            ... but is still weighing her options and trying to decide what she wants to sign or not.

Does she a) stay with the "sure thing" (i.e. Stargate), but risk having her character bounced back and forth between Stargate and Atlantis or shoved in the background because they "don't know what to do with her character"

or b) take her chances with this new series where she may have a more prominent role, but no guarantee that this series will be a hit.

Personally, at this point, I'd like to see Amanda take the Whistler role. Of course, this is coming from someone who was a big Twin Peaks fan. The downside for me though would be I probably won't see the show since I am in the US.

At this point, it doesn't sound like tptb see Sam as a member of SG-1 in S10. If they did, then there wouldn't be any question as to "what to do with Sam?" and there wouldn't be any talk about splitting her time between Stargate and Atlantis. If that's the case, then instead of being a major character on one show, she becomes a recurring character on two shows. I'm not sure if that's something I'd like to see.

Now, as easy as it is for me to say, I think Amanda should take the Whistler role, this cannot be an easy decision for Amanda. She has spend almost 10 years with these people. They are like family to her. So this has to be a very difficult time for her.

At this point, all I can say is my prayers are with Amanda.

SueS

Comment

Originally posted by SueS

"It’s a true-blue drama," says York. "It’s very clever, hip and sophisticated. The writing could stand up to anything currently being made. I gave the first two scripts to Sam (Feldman), he read them and said, ‘Where’s the next one?’"

Described as "an action-packed ride through the politics, especially the personal ones, of a high-end resort town, where family and interpersonal pressures are ready to blow" the premise of Whistler may seem familiar. On the surface, it’s suspiciously like The Mountain, last year’s ill-fated WB series about life in a ski resort.

However, York says setting the shows in mountain resorts is where the resemblance ends. Whereas The Mountain used soap opera structure to move along the story of the prodigal son’s return home, Whistler promises to be headier fare.

And it’s the surrealistic Twin Peaks-feel that is sure to have viewers tuning in. Like David Lynch’s late-’80s series, it’s the death of a popular local youth that creates a mystery from which the dramatic tension develops in Whistler. While Lynch had viewers wondering who killed Laura Palmer, York and company plan to engage their audience with the story of a local golden boy who returns with a medal from Torino and a host of endorsements, only to succumb to a suspicious death.

"We’re aiming at a 15- to 40-year-old audience, but anyone interested in serialized, multi-line stories, like Desperate Housewives, will enjoy it. And there’s a real sense of humour in the stories," said York.

The producer is also counting on stunning visuals to complement the writing and put the series head to head with its most obvious competitors."

Now, unless I'm reading something wrong here, it sounds like Amanda does have a contract ...

... but is still weighing her options and trying to decide what she wants to sign or not.

Does she a) stay with the "sure thing" (i.e. Stargate), but risk having her character bounced back and forth between Stargate and Atlantis or shoved in the background because they "don't know what to do with her character"

or b) take her chances with this new series where she may have a more prominent role, but no guarantee that this series will be a hit.

Personally, at this point, I'd like to see Amanda take the Whistler role. Of course, this is coming from someone who was a big Twin Peaks fan. The downside for me though would be I probably won't see the show since I am in the US.

At this point, it doesn't sound like tptb see Sam as a member of SG-1 in S10. If they did, then there wouldn't be any question as to "what to do with Sam?" and there wouldn't be any talk about splitting her time between Stargate and Atlantis. If that's the case, then instead of being a major character on one show, she becomes a recurring character on two shows. I'm not sure if that's something I'd like to see.

Now, as easy as it is for me to say, I think Amanda should take the Whistler role, this cannot be an easy decision for Amanda. She has spend almost 10 years with these people. They are like family to her. So this has to be a very difficult time for her.

SueS
              Thanks for the info Sue! And my prayers too.

Jan
              sigpic

Comment

Hello Samandas.... I came to show my support... I'm quite shocked about the news, but mostly how the AT found out... I can not believe the lack of Loyatly, honestly or friedship that TPTB have shown her, it's sad....

On a postive note, I hope you reach the 1000 pages today, I'm sure you will, 6 more hours to go where I am...

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
                Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

Helping this thread reaching page 1000.
                  Why I loved Sam in season 3 :

She learnt how to use Goa'uld weapons

She got promoted.

She discovered her second true love, the naquada reactor and proved that even geniuses sometimes can't draw.

Two Carters ? If only ! (Sorry wrong season )

She found a new make up

To be continued.
                  pics courtesy of Stargatecaps.com
                  Last edited by Lys; 31 October 2005, 02:59 AM.
                  Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by SueS

SueS

If I were Amanda , I would go for the new show ...it's fresh and she won't feel like she is redundant .

it will be exiting like any new project ..She is a very smart lady and it may be nice for her to also wear different clothes for that brand new show and also to be called somebody else than Sam CARTER . I hope she will take the new job .After all , she must have gone for the audition already ..and got the part . Good for her ...Time to leave SG1 and move on for Amanda

Caty

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz
                      You know what I'm surpised with? It's the fact that AT brought this all out in the open. To me this means it really upset her if she really didn't think before speaking out in public, what the ramifications would be once her fans heard. Either she wants this affect and is so upset she doesn't care what happens when TPTB are leveled with letters etc. OR again, she wasn't thinking when she told the Gambiters. Poz
                      I was thinking about this to and it occured to me that she did possibly it for several reasons - she is fed up with them, she wanted her fans to know the situation as soon as possible so they would not be more upset later down the road, she is upset with the situation and wanted to share it, she wanted to o guage the reaction of her fans to see if she did decide to leave and take the other opportunities offered to her how the fans would react to that, or even all of the above.

It seems to me from what she says in interviews and at Cons and from what we hear from people who do meet her, that AT has always had the best in mind for the character and she has always wanted the best for the character because she knew she had a large fanbase of people that followed Carter for upwards of 8 years, people who looked up to Carter, people who, in fact, saw Carter as a role model, so I think she may have wanted to let them know as well as see if it would be okay if she did take another role and moved away from Stargate. It is more than okay - I say onward and upward - Stargate is a dying show - no reason to stick around and watch it rot from the top down when you have other opportunities (it's always best to go out when you have another job and it sounds like AT has several things in the works plus an opportunity to be a lead on a new show so it's time to go, especially with the show going downhill faster than it ever has before).

I say to her - do what you want - be happy in whatever you do and if this new opportunity is something you want to try go do it (personally I would tell the boys at bridge - the boys you helped to carry for 9 years, and the dolts at sony, skiffy and mgm to bugger off - YOU DO NOT NEED THEM). It sounds like AT has plenty of other opportunities for partime roles as well as what could be a wonderful opportunity to be a lead in another show, which we all know she can carry, and we all also know, after this disrespectful debacle she will not get the lead on SG1 which she, above anyone else, deserves, because they have their heads too far up their a$$es and cannot even see the light of day never mind something as brilliant and talented and lead quality that is right in front of them because of thier ridiculous notion that there has to be a male lead.

I say go for it and get out now - the people involved in Stargate do not deserve you anyway, not anymore.

Comment

Thank you...perhaps I should forward my resume for consideration...

But then considering the fact that SG-1 is about to implode from its own stupidity, I'm not sure I'd want to be associated with it after all.
                        That's my point....if you had one of these positions, AT wouldn't have had to call and this whole mess would never have happened....where's the puddle jumper with the time machine when you need one.

Cheers,

Jan
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm afraid I'm not any calmer than I was last night. And while I am still thoroughly disgusted by the fact that they didn't bother with the courtesy of a phone call (and apparently neither did her longtime friends and co-workers according to CG...so much for the illusion of the wonderful Stargate family of cast and crew)...what's really irking me today is the insipid notion that "they don't know what to do with the character."

So whereas my irritation was focused last night on behalf of Amanda (and still is, mind you) this post has to do with Samantha Carter.

"They don't know what to do with the character." What an incredibly insipid, arrogant and insulting thing for him to say. He is the executive producer. He can write whatever he wants to write. What, is he fresh out of ideas here? Are we really supposed to swallow that now?

We're talking about Carter folks, not some parttime character with little background, development or contributions. Samantha Carter...who defied orders to be with Cassie, who figured out the dialing system, who personally took out several Goa'uld, who wouldn't rest when her friends/loved ones were in danger, who saved earth from being sucked into a black hole, who almost singlehandedly prevented earth from being taken over by the Foothold aliens, who blew up a sun, who swallowed her hatred and worked with Ba'al to get rid of the replicators...and the list goes on and on.

She is one of the strongest...if not THE STRONGEST and best written women characters ever in SciFi. She's not just "the girl"...she's a major and integral reason SG-1 had been so successful as a team in doing what they've done throughout the years to rid the galaxy of threats against peace loving people. She is an inspiration for me as a woman to watch because she personifies many of the traits I wish I had and continue to strive for.

She is why I continue to watch Stargate SG-1.

So now they have Mitchell and they have Vala...and apparently the ideas run fast and furious for the new people...but not for Carter who's been their since Day 1. Nope. That idea well has run bone dry.

Is there any particular reason why they can't all be on there at the same time...each contributing their strengths and meshing together as a new entity? Why is it that when it comes to Sam and Vala, it's an either/or proposition? Can they not stand the notion of two strong female leads in the same show??? And why is it that between Carter and Vala, that CARTER be reduced in status to recurring? How on earth does this make any sense whatsoever??? I think the idea of them becoming good friends would have done a lot to end the animosity in fandom regarding these two...but it seems that TPTB are intent on building on that anger, rather than dissepate it.

So here we are in an alternate reality where the possibility of a Carterless SG-1 and Vala "taking her place" is actually on the table...and I am dumbfounded by this insanity; and I am wondering if I click my heels together three times whether or not I can return to the warmth of my Kansas farmhouse bed with Auntie Em leaning over to kiss me on the forehead, assuring me that it was all just a silly dream.

If only there hadn't been a fish in Jack's lake after all.
                          If this group of writers can't write for the Sam Carter character, they need new writers. I mean, she's been a part of this show for 9 years and now they can't write for her. I wonder how much influence Sony has over all this? RDA did decide to leave the show after Sony bought MGM. And if TPTB had already decided this would be Carter's last year on the show, why didn't they end the ship with both characters riding into the sunset (Jack/Sam)? Something is very wrong here. I wonder if we'll ever find out just how all this went down. I really, really dislike TPTB now. I don't know if I'll even be able to watch the last 10 episodes of season 9. I personally feel like I've been socked in the gut! How must Amanda feel with this playing out all over the world for everyone to see her being sacked!!

Comment

Originally posted by sky_blue_waters
                            Look at this from Amanda Tapping's point of view. RCC didn't even have the guts to call her and explain what was going on. Lose the cell number? Bottom line: they want to replace AT with CB. You can't look at this any other way. I can't believe that they could be so SLIMEY and unprofessional. If I was Amanda I would be ferious. Who else has been more loyal and who else has worked as hard and put in the long hours. And to think that she put off her personal life for these guys, only to get a hatchet in the back. This is a total slap in the face. It is another demotion. I have nothing against 'Atlantis', but this is a demotion; a cheap trick to save a show and get more money. Amanda should not take this insult. If she has another offer she should take it. SAD, very SAD. All the time, work, effort, loyality,-- trashed and tarnished. What about all the Amanda Tapping fans out there who gave their loyality to Stargate SG-1. What a low blow to us. We were the one's who defended you against the 'dark places people'. Now; you've left us for them. The move is a bad as your recent scripts.
                            You know for a fact that RCC didn't have the guts to call AT? Maybe RCC was trying to figure out the best way possible to approach Amanda, since contrary to some here, I do believe TPTB actually do respect and appriecate all Amanda has given the show. Maybe RCC has been busy dealing with getting other folks signed on for the rest of the year and he was saving the best for last? There are probably reason we will NEVER be privy to as to why Amanda called RCC herself and found out about the new deal. No point jumping to conclusions or saying that TPTB want to replace Amanda with Claudia. Trust me, if they had wanted to do that, they would have well before now.

Sorry, I don't buy that TPTB don't appreciate or respect Amanda. Until I hear otherwise, from TPTB, I refuse to think they are deliberately out to kick Amanda off the show.
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Why I loved Sam in season 3 (part II) :

She went to Netu and back for her father.

She saved the world and told Maybourne he was an idiot every day of the week.

She didn't give up when Jack was missing and worked hard to get him back.

She discovered a matter that could slow down Nintendos (oops, sorry, neutrinos )

And of course, soldier Sam fighting against a new enemy, the Replicators.
                              pics courtesy of Stargatecaps.com
                              Last edited by Lys; 31 October 2005, 03:00 AM.
                              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I will follow Amanda wherever she goes but I don't want it to be with the Deluise family anymore

Caty

Comment

Working...
                                X