No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, I've never posted here or anywhere before so bear with me. I've read the recent news and the posts made about it and even some of JM's blog. I am the last person to give TPTB credit for anything, but maybe we are overreacting. RCC said they didn't know what they were going to do with the character of Sam Carter yet, but that could simply mean that they are tossing around a lot of ideas and it's just that nothing is set in stone yet. It could also be that they are saying that to keep from revealing storylines they may already have settled on. I agree that not telling Amanda is ridiculous, but this could be a good thing. This whole mess tells me that TPTB know that the status quo will not work. Someone at a high level of power, we don't know who, wants a male lead. It's wrong, sexist, and idiotic, but there it is. My theory, until JM announced in his blog that Carter and Mitchell were to be coleaders, was that they would come up with some new position or command for Carter. I think co-leadership could work in the sense that if Carter were in command she would still need Mitchell to step up and lead when she has to be working on whatever alien device they've found etc because no one else on her team has those skills. My only problem with this is if I were in the position I just outlined for Sam I don't know that I would trust Mitchell with my team. I've been confused about how they've handled this from the beginning. Although they seem to be determined to have a male lead, they're not stepping up to the plate and making him into that. This could be because they're afraid Mitchell would threaten the character of Sam Carter, which he already does. This leaves them in a bind with the character of Sam Carter because they aren't going to let her lead SG-1 but they seem to realize that it would be unacceptable for her to simply be relegated back to the position of 2IC. Therefore they have to give her something else to do, and maybe they are working on that. Right now, I don't think we know enough to make any kind of judgment yet. I do wish we knew who is really making these decisions so we could lay the blame in its proper place. I apologize for the length; I have been lurking here for a couple of years now and I guess I had a lot to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelSamOneill
      Hi everyone, I've never posted here or anywhere before so bear with me. I've read the recent news and the posts made about it and even some of JM's blog. I am the last person to give TPTB credit for anything, but maybe we are overreacting. RCC said they didn't know what they were going to do with the character of Sam Carter yet, but that could simply mean that they are tossing around a lot of ideas and it's just that nothing is set in stone yet. It could also be that they are saying that to keep from revealing storylines they may already have settled on. I agree that not telling Amanda is ridiculous, but this could be a good thing. This whole mess tells me that TPTB know that the status quo will not work. Someone at a high level of power, we don't know who, wants a male lead. It's wrong, sexist, and idiotic, but there it is. My theory, until JM announced in his blog that Carter and Mitchell were to be coleaders, was that they would come up with some new position or command for Carter. I think co-leadership could work in the sense that if Carter were in command she would still need Mitchell to step up and lead when she has to be working on whatever alien device they've found etc because no one else on her team has those skills. My only problem with this is if I were in the position I just outlined for Sam I don't know that I would trust Mitchell with my team. I've been confused about how they've handled this from the beginning. Although they seem to be determined to have a male lead, they're not stepping up to the plate and making him into that. This could be because they're afraid Mitchell would threaten the character of Sam Carter, which he already does. This leaves them in a bind with the character of Sam Carter because they aren't going to let her lead SG-1 but they seem to realize that it would be unacceptable for her to simply be relegated back to the position of 2IC. Therefore they have to give her something else to do, and maybe they are working on that. Right now, I don't think we know enough to make any kind of judgment yet. I do wish we knew who is really making these decisions so we could lay the blame in its proper place. I apologize for the length; I have been lurking here for a couple of years now and I guess I had a lot to get out.
      I believe all the negotiations are finished by now since apparently everone else already knew that they were coming back, so it appears that AT doesn't have a contract for s10 while everyone else does and won't be coming back as a regular. She's essentially being thrown out for CB.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelSamOneill

Welcome, ColonelSAmOneill!

Thanks for posting your thoughts. They are appreciated.

It may be that this can work out-- and yes we don't have alot of info yet, but for me, I find it deplorable how TPTB have gone about this, as many have already said. And also it seems like a slap in the face to AT if she becomes a recurring cast member for both shows. She in essence would no longer be a regular cast member of SG-1, and that has got to hurt after nine years of giving her all to this show. That is what bothers me. And I guess also the writers seem unsure of what they are going to do with Sam. That seems ludicrous to me, given that Sam is the science angle of this science fiction show.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1
          I believe all the negotiations are finished by now since apparently everone else already knew that they were coming back, so it appears that AT doesn't have a contract for s10 while everyone else does and won't be coming back as a regular. She's essentially being thrown out for CB.
          I don't know if all the negotiations are finished yet. AT said that they all have been contacted about season 10, but nothing about negotiations being finalized.

Comment

Why I loved Sam in season 1 :

Her fascination with the wormhole the first time she went through the gate. She had this huge "I can't believe it's real" face. It was like all her dreams came true suddenly.

Of all people, she's the one Teal'c chose to give her his staff weapon. For me, it's the first hint on their wonderful respect/friendship. And it also shows that Teal'c immediatly acknowledged her as a valuable warrior .

Kickbutt Sam ! Sam showing to the boys that she can stand for herself and is not the woman on the team but one of the team.

More fighting Sam !

To be continued

pics courtesy of Stargatecaps.com
            Last edited by Lys; 31 October 2005, 02:56 AM.
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

My effort at staying positive and to give support for a wonderful actor and character!

sigpic

Comment

Why I loved Sam in season 1 (part II) :

Sam and Cassie. I love the maternal side of Sam. The elevator scene was one of the best scenes ever in SG1.

Sam fighting for both her life and Jack's life. It says a lot about her strength.

First alternate reality Sam. A civilian Sam, scientist, brilliant, smart and again a kicking butt Sam.

And last, Sam meeting her true love : C4 ! I absolutely love it when she blows stuff.
                pics courtesy of Stargatecaps.com
                Last edited by Lys; 31 October 2005, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by florence
                  I've almost never posted in this thread before but I really wanted to say something about the news from GABIT...
                  I didn't have the time (and courage !) to read all the posts since last night so I don't know how you all Samandans are feeling about it. I've just seen that you were trying to stay positive which is good. So I'll try to stay moderate in what I have to say.

First, I'd like you to know that I love Sam. She and Jack are my favourite characters in SG1.
                  But as much as I like her... I don't want to see her in Atlantis. At all. Let me explain...

SGA is now my favourite show and I want it to have a life by itself. I don't want SGA to only be the 'kid sister' of the big big show that is SG1.
                  Sam is a character of SG1. One of the most important characters (and she should have been the biggest one in S9 but that's another topic...). SG1 has its own stories, its own 'mythology', its bad guys and good guys.
                  Ditto for SGA.
                  So let them be 2 different and separate shows please. SG1 had 9 seasons (and is now going to have a 10th), so let SGA have its chance to become a show as big as SG1.

I don't think it would help SGA to have Sam... and I don't think it would be nice for Sam to be in SGA and SG1 at the same time. We'd have to wonder each week : "So where's Sam now ? On Earth ? In Atlantis ? Who's leading the SG1 team ?" (well, we know the answer to that question... )
                  And what would be Sam's place in Atlantis ? IMO each character has its own place and role in Atlantis. We have the 2 leaders (one civil and one military), the scientist, the warriors, the doctor... What would Sam do ? Leading another team ? We don't need that, we already have one team that works well together.
                  Leading the science department ? But why couldn't she do that in the SGC ?

No, really I can't understand the reason why they're doing that...
                  Welcome, florence! Glad to have your views, esp when they are so AT friendly.

Much to agree with in your post. Most of us at Samanda are also SGA fans and when you get a moment to scroll about, many voiced questions on what AT's role could possibly be in the SGA universe. Obviously, again, we don't have full knowledge of what's doing at the studios so things could possibly work out differently. Indeed, it would be a sad waste of the talents of the actors on both shows, the writers who established the characters and stories, and last but far from least, the goodwill of Stargate fans to pursue this course as it currently seems.

SGA deserves to have it's autonomy and build on its already formidable fan base. In reality, though, crossovers usually portend, IMO, the end of one of the shows; sort of testing the waters for transposing some actors to the other show. Guess which show would be ending!! Atlantis is, I think, on better footing because its new and developing. We'll see.

Just sayin', your comments are very welcome here, florence, as are you! Thanks for stopping in; hope you come back to discuss this when things cool down, a bit.
                  MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                  sigpic
                  Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                    I don't know if all the negotiations are finished yet. AT said that they all have been contacted about season 10, but nothing about negotiations being finalized.
                    Hello Samandans from your Samandans in London, now huddled around Kat's computer in hotel! We have just returned from a Guinness World Record in stretching curly wurlies - we'll explain later - just to know a few records were broken and Kat is now washing off the extra toffy from her fingers! Amanda was in fine comic form and participated in both demonstration and actual contest! More later ...

Sorry we haven't been able to get on line sooner - it's been a rich and fun weekend and we have heard things that both made us smile and applaud AT and things that have us worried.

Coley, s1peed, Kat and Chopin Gal - what we believe we heard directly from Amanda's lips:

She does not know what 's happening with the character

She was not informed about signing on for new season

She had to go and ask RC himself what was up after someone informed her that MS, CJ, Beau, BB, and CB had already been asked to return. Rob was busy directing when she approached him. Amanda asked Rob "is there a problem?" and Rob replied "No problem; we just don't know what to do with Sam next season." That, Amanda said to us at GABIT, seemed to indicate "there was a problem." It was suggested that, for the coming S10, she will be asked to appear in both Stargate and SA for the total of 20 episodes. Again, nothing more known by AT nor all of us listening to her. She, as gracious as ever, hinted that she should have taken up golf and spent more time on the executive golf circuit! She's just received the contract last week but has not yet signed and, again, does not know how many episodes in which manner she will be playing Sam in either show.

She announced that she will be filming a short part in an upcoming movie with Christian Slater and also possibly considering shooting a Canadian series named Whistler in which she will play a lead role and also a part in a TV movie of the week as a bumblingdetective who keeps botching cases and has a chip on shoulder because of her mishaps.

Have to run - more autographs to be had!

This morning's autograph session: I asked Amanda about receiving the flowers and chocolates first week on set - just to know she paused writing and looked at me and told me "thank you all" and told me that this was such a boost and really made her feel so good as she was feeling a bit low that week and our gift made a difference! I will tell you all much more later - she got up and hugged me as I told her that "there are a lot of professional women at SaGC who will support you no matter what your career decisions are". I actually kissed her on the cheek! I think she got my underlying message from the look and heartfelt thanks she gave me for all of you! It was a terrific moment ... I spent Friday night talking to her at cocktail party about "the red book" and got to ask a public question this morning where I first announced "hello from SaGC thread" and AT then told the entire audience all about "our red book" and I announced, at her prompting after she started to say this and looked at me, that we are at 1000 pages and 20000 posts! She told me that someone had phoned her about our thread a while back! Hurray Samanda!

Hic comitas regit! Jester/CG
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 31 October 2005, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mahinasmama
                      I don't know if it is the late hour, hormonal surges, or simply the appalling mistreatment of a fine person and actress, but I am forced out of my vicarious lurking (I get most of my information from another frequent poster) and sit here with tears streaming down my face.

I have loved the Sam character from the beginning, despite some of the rather dumb early stories. I have flinched when they did things with her character that seemed incredibly out of character, and rejoiced when they wrote for the true depth of Sam. TPTB have done some really weird and outrageous things in the past with the character Sam, but to do this now to the strong and lovely human being Amanda is just beyond belief. If they truely can't see Sam fitting into the Stargate SG-1 universe, then that universe is imploding and being sucked into a black hole (Sam could explain how so that even I could understand it).

I haven't read all the posts yet on this or other forums, but I was glad to read here that even most of those who dislike Sam seem to think this is wrong. Those few who are probably happily dancing on her presumptive grave, well...they probably eat their young so can be dismissed from any reasonable discussion.

I am hoping and praying that TPTB will come to their senses and give Amanda not only darn good reasons for why they have treated her so abominably, but also restore her dignity by creating an even more powerful position for her than I can think of right now in my despair.
                      Welcome to Samanda, mahinasmama, and thanks for honoring us with your first GW post!

Your hopes certainly match ours, that this impression of Sam's diminished status is not what it seems. Samandans will keep an eye on the development of this course, and we hope others will let the studio and blog guys know we want more AT/SC, not less! Still, it pays to keep an open mind at this stage. There may yet be squirming room for TPTB to "retreat with dignity" if we let them know how this effects their loyal fan base.

Just sayin' it's great to have you, please do land here more often!
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh ... this is important: Amanda sought out anyone who had to do with "the red book" at the cocktail party ... one of the GABIT directors approached me and knelt by my table and whispered: "are you involved with this?" and, then when Amanda came to our table, the first thing she wanted to talk about was "this amazing book" that was just recently delivered to her trailer and she "sobbed" when she started to read it and look at the scope of what was there ... and I told her it was to share with Olivia when she's older and she smiled and said "yeah, then Olivia will know that her mom wasn't all bad" - something to that effect. She told the general audience again today at the Q&A panel that this is a gift she will share with Olivia as she grows up. Lovely and so rewarding to know she finally received it. For some reason, not until the last few weeks!

Uber, Samfnintn, and Major Sal ... not to worry, I have managed to complete my mission regarding your PMs and requests ... and will contact you shortly :>) It's been an amazing trip and still not over!

And spending time with Coley, 1speed and Kat (dipsofjazz too) has been priceless!

What we've known all along: Amanda is Canada's hidden treasure and a class act all the way! Let's hope nothing but the best for her in months to come! She could not have had a personal convention at a better time - a roomful of people showing their support and love!

Will try to tighten this all up when I get home - flying in on Monday night - look for me on Tuesday!

Thanks, Kat, for use of your laptop! Everyone sends great big Samandan hugs! Photos will be coming I'm sure as we all managed to get some pics!

Peace, CG

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                          Hi Everyone, long time no see....

This news is a real shocker for me, as much as i would like to see sam on atlantis (by that i mean a one time thing, possibly now and then at most) i want her to be on SG1 as a main character. She is a Main Character, having her be on 10 eps of each show would mean as a recurring character, which is degrading for both actress and character and it's not what they deserve.

After being on cloud nine hearing Stargate is coming back for more seasons this has sent me to netu. I hate to be negative but... How in the Blue Hell can they not know what to do with her character! That's just a joke.

Atlantis is doing fine without Sam, SG1 was doing okay, but not nearly as good as it is with her, why can they (whoever "They" are) not see that.

IT DEFIES ALL LOGIC

After not posting in ages this is the end to what is perhaps my most negative post ever (which im sorry for, but can't help it).
                          A big welcome back to your re-emergence here, THE BIG UNIT! So true what you said, and I share a bit of your fall from the heights of "YEAH, S10!" to the netu of "Whaaat??" at AT's possible position there. Logic obviously has different rules when tv series networks are involved. Your post is so in keeping with Samanda's code of friendly discourse even though I don't think many of us feel very friendly about this! What's really going on? We can't say yet but we will know when more reports from Gabit come back.

Just sayin', your support of AT/SC is appreciated here. Thanks, and pop back again with good memories of AT/SC, the standard bearer of SG1!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            Coley, s1peed, Kat and Chopin Gal: what we believe we heard directly from Amanda's lips:

She had to go and ask RC himself what was up after someone informed her that that MS, CJ, Beau, BB, and CB had already been asked to return. Rob was busy directing when she approached him. Amanda asked Rob "is there a problem?" and Rob replied "No problem; we just don't know what to do with Sam next season." That, Amanda said to us at GABIT, seemed to indicate "there was a problem." It was hinted/suggested that, for the coming S10, she will be asked to appear in both Stargate and SA for the total of 20 episodes. Again, nothing more known by AT nor all of us listening to her. She, as gracious as ever, hinted that she should have taken up golf and spent more time on the executive golf circuit! She's just received the contract last week but has not yet signed and, again, does not know how many episodes in which manner she will be playing Sam in either show.
                            OMG! That's disgusting that it happened like that!
                            You know what? If they stuff her around, it's only going to get a bad response from fans, not only because of Sam, but because everyone who's ever met Amanda thinks she's just sensational! She's just a wonderful person and a brilliant actress (I still laugh when I think of her as dorky Sam!)
                            I think this is bad for all the girls on the Stargate shows. If they can do this to Amanda, who's been such a huge part of the show for 9 years, they can do it to anyone! They have some of the best actresses around, and they should be treating them with respect! (don't even get me started on Janet being killed off!!)

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Hello Samandans from your Samandans in London,now huddled around Kat's computer in hotel! We have just returned from a Guinness World Record in stretching curly wurlies - we'll explain later - just to know a few records were broken and Kat is now washing off the extra toffy from her fingers! Amanda was in fine comic form and participated in both demonstration and actual contest! More later ...

Sorry we haven't been able to get on line sooner - it's been a rich and fun weekend and we have heard things that both made us smile and applaud AT and things that have us worried.

Coley, s1peed, Kat and Chopin Gal: what we believe we heard directly from Amanda's lips:

She had to go and ask RC himself what was up after someone informed her that that MS, CJ, Beau, BB, and CB had already been asked to return. Rob was busy directing when she approached him. Amanda asked Rob "is there a problem?" and Rob replied "No problem; we just don't know what to do with Sam next season." That, Amanda said to us at GABIT, seemed to indicate "there was a problem." It was hinted/suggested that, for the coming S10, she will be asked to appear in both Stargate and SA for the total of 20 episodes. Again, nothing more known by AT nor all of us listening to her. She, as gracious as ever, hinted that she should have taken up golf and spent more time on the executive golf circuit! She's just received the contract last week but has not yet signed and, again, does not know how many episodes in which manner she will be playing Sam in either show.

She announced that she will be filming a short part in an upcoming movie with Christian Slater and also possibly considering shooting a Canadian series named Whistler in which she will play a lead role and also a part TV movie of the week as bumbling detective who keeps botching cases and has a chip on shoulder because of her mishaps.

Have to run - more autographs to be had!

This morning's autograph session: I asked Amanda about receiving the flowers and chocolates first week on set - just to know she paused writing and looked at me and told me "thank you all" and told me that this was such a boost and really made her feel so good as she was feeling a bit low that week and our gift made a difference! I will tell you all much more later - she got up and kissed and hugged me as I told her that "there are a lot of professional women at SaGC" who will support you (wink wink) not matter what your career decisions are. I think we got the message and I got one back from the look and heartfelt thanks she gave me for all of you! It was a terrific moment ... I spent Friday night talking to her at cocktail party about "the red book" AND got to ask a public question this morning where I first announced "hello from SaGC thread" and AT then told the entire audience all about "our red book" and I announced at her prompting after she started to say this and looked at me that we are at 1000 pages and 20000 posts! She told everyone all about us and then someone had phoned her about our thread a while back! Hurray Samanda!

Hic comitas regit! Jester/CG
                              Thanks ChopinGal for the report. It's always a pleasure to hear how gracious and kind Amanda is. And I'm glad that you could tell her that she has all our support no matter what decision she takes.
                              I really don't know what to think about season 10. I was so happy when we heard about the renewal of the show, but now. The worse is how she's been treated. I really wouldn't blame her if her final decision was to leave the show and sign on another serie. Amanda is a very talented actress, she doesn't need SG1 as much as SG1 needs her.
                              Hugs to you Samandans in GABIT. Enjoy your remaining time together. We're waiting for more news from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                                I've never posted here before either, though I have visited.
                                Firstly I want to say I've watched SG1 since the beginning, and though SGA is my favourite of the two Stargate shows, I've always loved Sam, and she's my favourite female character from the Stargate universe, and always has been.
                                I read the comments from GABIT with horror for two reasons. Firstly and rather selfishly, I love SGA the way it is, and feel with such a big cast already there, it is difficult to service all the characters already, without the addition of yet another character, (as lovely as AT/SC are!). Secondly as an AT fan, I feel so disappointed for the actress herself. To find out the way she did is unforgiveable, and heartless.
                                I would hate for such a wonderful character to be spread between 2 shows, it won't work and is a great dis-service to the character, in my opinion.
                                Lastly, I'm so upset for AT/SC fans, I know how I would feel if this happened to my favourite SGA character. I hope TPTB see sense, and have Carter where she truly belongs, SG1.
                                Congratulations on being so calm and rational about such a potentially upsetting topic. It's nice to see fans being so mature.
                                Extending a welcome to you as well, Linzi- Samanda loves anyone who loves AT/SC! And yes, the possible plan to cross AT/SC between the two shows is in its basic elements, problematic for all. Samanda is known for rational discourse in the face of absurdity but also we're proactive in AT's honor and defense. This may not all be settled yet, so Samandans have been posting on Joe's blog to tell him how much AT/SC means to them. Feel free to add your calm, rational support there.

Just sayin', pleasure to welcome newcomers to Samanda. Please visit and post again!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X