Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

But we DO need to see if there's anything we can do within the confines of GW that can show a widespread/general respectful appreciation for an actor and a character who has been on the series since day one. This may need to be taken out of the confines of Samanda as well.
    whatever is going to be done, i have no doubts that amanda/sam has enough fans to make a punch. especially in the way this has been done to her.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      What further set that scene was the fact that Sam was both nodding and grinning wickedly as she said that.
      Ooh, 2 strong females in an action series...Naah. Loved that interplay, btw, from Torri and Amanda it was done well.

Just sayin'.
      MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
      sigpic
      Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        Hi guys,

I just wanted to say hi and join in the fray a bit before I headed off to bed.

I'm not going to say anything, because I'm just so flabbergasted and disturbed by the situation, and we apparently need to remain positive or something...

Where you guys stand on the situation, I stand, too.

The thing is.. We need more information, and we need it to be as verbatim and timely as possible. Please don't take that as an unruly or inconsiderate demand. I understand the time zone issues and schedules, etc. It's just that a repeat of the 8-10 pages of "What exactly happened?"-"I can't tell you, sorry," cannot and should not be repeated ever again.

I guess we need to start brainstorming about what to do, should TPTB at Sony/SciFi/Bridge be testing the waters here to see how the fandom reacts. I'm glad no one wants to go psycho on anyone. That's awesome. But I don't think we can just sit back and take it IF this isn't really what AT wants and IF that will somehow confirm TPTB's bizarre beliefs that AT/Sam really isn't wanted anymore. We may never know, because I doubt she'd do anything to turn us into a seething mob. I respect that immensely.

But we DO need to see if there's anything we can do within the confines of GW that can show a widespread/general respectful appreciation for an actor and a character who has been on the series since day one. This may need to be taken out of the confines of Samanda as well.

Beyond that, I'm totally at a loss here.

I completely agree with everything you said. Maybe it has to be a response not only to TPTB, but as importantly, to Sony and Scifi---perhaps those who hold the most power in this case?

I found this thread maybe a few weeks after it started (thanks to Majorsal for starting it and those fans who began posting right away such as AstroG and ChopinGal, and many more) and I have to say it has been such a pleasure to be able to participate in the SaGC thread. This is so because AT is so wonderful, Sam is THE REASON I am still watching SG-1, and the Sam fans here are fabulous and kind.

It's bizarre, but I actually did not like the Stargate Movie (particularly the second half), so I was reluctant to watch the show, but I love scifi, so my family and I decided to give it a try. I loved the character of Sam from the first moment I saw her in the show. Some of the early season one episodes were actually not very good! But we kept watching because of Sam Carter---a woman who is a brilliant scientist, a good soldier, and a kind individual. I liked how smart she was and I thought---this is great--a really good role model, particularly for young girls. Sam just got better and better for me over the years. And AT is fantastic as Sam---she puts her heart and soul into this character.

So, I have to admit, that hearing this news about not quite knowing what to do with the character made me extremely sad---for so many reasons---because I love this character, but most importantly, I truly admire Amanda, and the thought of her feeling bad about this makes me dumbfounded, angry, and sad all in one.

Yes, it could work out -- maybe it will -- hopefully it will, but I can't help but feel much sadness for how poorly this is being handled.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 61
          The comments on Joe's Blog are just building up to what may be one huge blast. This is a quote from there. "Joe, if you want to have a look at what fans think of this BRILLIANT idea, just take a peak in the characters folder at GateWorld. Or over at Our Stargate. Or at the Sony Forums. Or any other place where all things Stargate are discussed. This is one of those universally reviled ideas. Do the franchise a favor, and drop it."
          I think that this says it all.
          Joanne
          Way to go, Amanda Tapping/Sam Carter fans! Showing the love!

Just sayin', thanks for that update, Ancient 61, and thanks for posting during our 1000th page celebration! Do post here again.
          sigpic

Comment

i stumbled on to this thread and was shocked ......speechless.......

How rude!!!!!

but i am behind Amanda and whatever that she decides to do....

i'll admit i was glad to hear that there was a season ten, but i keep watching for Amanda/Sam, she has been an inspiration to me........i didn't like season nine that much until Sam came back...........probably not going to watch season ten now if there is no Amanda/Sam

Instantly an Amanda fan from watching Stargate, i with follow where ever the wind takes her.............support her...........hope that she makes the right decision for her

XOXOXOXOX

Godforbid she should have a life, and a family
            *****SHE SHOULD, BY THE WAY*****

be positive....be positive.....

Amanda be strong.............love ya.............keep being an inspiration to all women, of all ages

((((((((HUGS AMANDA)))))))))

((((((((KISSES TOO)))))))))
            Stargate Pants Girl
            (a.k.a. Teryl's Pants Girl)
            Mak tal shree! Lo tak meta satak Oz!

Comment

Okay I have been trying to stay positive all night because I wanted to wait for more news! When I first heard the news I was furious. My laptop crashed before I could post. When I finally calmed down and got the dinosaur to work I decided I would stay positive and wait for more news.

However, just so no one misunderstands, I feel I must now explain my true reaction, just so no one thinks I’m a poor shmoe (sp?) that doesn’t get what’s really going on, because trust me I do get it! I’m just a furious as the rest of you!!! There really isn’t anything that I could say that hasn’t already been said. I wanted to shed some positive light on AT and try to be positive for this thread. So now taking off my rose colored glasses…. MY WORD Amanda Tapping has given so much of her time, skills, heart and soul to a show that now doesn’t seem to know where the character is heading (do TPTB need directions???? ) Have the past 8 YEARS meant anything???!!! Does the phrase if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, mean anything??!! I have had more then my share of complaints and misgivings this season! Maybe this is the straw that finally breaks the camels back for me. This great show that was about 4 main character with great chemistry, going on adventures among the stars, making new discoveries, getting into and out of trouble, being hero’s, actually having the guts to have a strong female character in Samantha Carter among the leads and literally giving me hours upon hours of entertainment has been lost this year. Am I surprised that TPTB have so little regard toward a great person and character …No not really after what I have seen this year. Their treatment toward AT is horrible!!! The same is true for their treatment toward RDA!! I am furious for AT’s sake!!! She deserves better than this!!! She is a great person and a great actress! I trust AT and the character she has developed in Sam Carter, despite my lack of trust in TPTB, and if she remains on SG-1 then I will watch to support her. If she leaves then I will follow.
              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 30 October 2005, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boobala

How rude!!!!!

i'll admit i was glad to hear that there was a season ten, but i keep watching for Amanda/Sam, she has been an inspiration to me........i didn't like season nine that much until Sam came back...........probably not going to watch season ten now if there is no Amanda/Sam

Instantly an Amanda fan from watching Stargate, i with follow where ever the wind takes her.............support her...........hope that she makes the right decision for her

XOXOXOXOX

Amanda be strong.............love ya.............keep being an inspiration to all women, of all ages

Great post Boobala!! Thanks for coming here and supporting AT!!

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                  Great post Boobala!! Thanks for coming here and supporting AT!!
                  Thank you.......

I was reading some of the things and i started crying

But hey anything for AT

xoxoxoxoxoxox

*******HUGS AND KISSES FOR AMANDA*******
                  Stargate Pants Girl
                  (a.k.a. Teryl's Pants Girl)
                  Mak tal shree! Lo tak meta satak Oz!

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                    Just my humble opinion...

Perhaps TPTB see Sam's character as a dead end because she is in an implied relationship with Jack and he is not physically present for the UST/RST dynamic. And, Carter can't have a romantic interest with another character because Sam and Jack are loyal and true to one another. Which is as it should be. So, they are stymied and stuck because the formula for a successful series is to include UST at least. Now Vala can deliver that for them.**cough** I.Won't.Go.There.

Foolish.Silly.TPTB. We have lots of ideas to keep Jack active in the series and Sam's and Jack's relationship going and he doesn't even have to be present. Well, I want him to be but RDA can't or won't right now. Ya know, one-sided phone calls and conversations about what Sam and Jack did on their vacation to the cabin. Ahem, fishing....

So, what's my point? What is my point? Oh, yeah. This is what I wrote on Joe's blog because I think that they don't know what to do with a single, professional woman over 35 who's in a healthy, loving relationship AND is bright, brave, competent and can have it all!!! Heck, RDA was 45 when he started as Jack O'Neill. What is it with this sexist stuff in these times?

Hope I'm not off topic too much. I think my Shipper and AT sides are showing!! Proud of it!!
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by nell
                    Originally Posted by nell
                    SAM CARTER ROCKS!!! The Stargate franchise can take credit for creating a brilliant, competent, confident,interesting, assertive, brave, loyal, loving and kicka$$ female character!!! We've seen the scientist/soldier/woman develop over the past 9 seasons through the talented interpretation of Amanda Tapping. Go all the way and continue to expand Carter's role. Single, professional women can be attractive and powerful lead characters when the scripts maintain their roles through intelligent storylines. Be Bold, Amanda's talent and Sam's character can break the mold in stereotypes for women actors/characters. 'Nuff said!!
                    <<THUNDEROUS, SPIRITED APPLAUSE!>>

Zinged it, nell, as elegantly as a true Samandan! Be proud, be very proud of 'ships showing!

Just sayin, bravo!
                    sigpic

Comment

Please excuse me for piping in here... I've been reading several pages of this discussion...
                      But could someone direct me to the original source of this information? I hope you don't mind if I have some question marks about the veracity of this information. I'm just not sure that AT would be discussing contractual issues so publicly at this point in time. It just seems rather out of character...

Edit: I've been given extra info on another thread. Thanks to tsaxlady.
                      Last edited by Easter Lily; 30 October 2005, 12:01 AM.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Boobala

How rude!!!!!

XOXOXOXOX

To see her is to love her, on screen or off, Boobala. Appreciate your posting in our 1000th page celebration.

Just sayin', your sentiments fit right in!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                          Thanks for the news to all who are providing it. Personally I think that's a pretty unfair way to treat someone who has been 120% girl for the show... but then I'll be glad if I'm proven wrong and hope for that.

The fact they don't know what to do with Carter is probably because she's too damn smart for the new SG1.. but it is disappointing. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

For me personally I'd watch Amanda read the phone book (as someone once said) and pay money for the privilege. Can't wait to hear/see more stuff from GABIT [iz verry verry jealous]

This better not be a case of TPTB saying "hmmm. RDA is gone... what are we going to do with Amanda?". How rude! She's a team player. She should be treated as a team player. She's a big part of why SG1 is what it is now.
                          I guess the ability to move between earth and Atlantis is an opportunity to do this. It's interesting. I'm pretty sure Torri said the other day that she didn't know of any plans to bring SG1 people onto Atlantis. (though she did say she'd welcome MS and RDA!! Since DH gets to play with Amanda!)

Comment

How intriguing it is to go to other forums and read posts by people who don't like or even hate Carter say what a raw deal Amanda's being given. I ignore the few that dance with glee (very small group that they are) and am gratified to see that this idea is pretty much panned universally.

So, amazingly, the SG fanbase is pretty much united on two major issues...one, the stupidity of having a newbie greenhorn with no real purpose lead SG-1 over Sam and two, that having Sam's role diminish/disrespecting Amanda is a bad idea.

And I thought the fanbase was much more fractured than that.

Hey...at least we can all agree on something.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                              This better not be a case of TPTB saying "hmmm. RDA is gone... what are we going to do with Amanda?". How rude! She's a team player. She should be treated as a team player. She's a big part of why SG1 is what it is now.
                              I guess the ability to move between earth and Atlantis is an opportunity to do this. It's interesting. I'm pretty sure Torri said the other day that she didn't know of any plans to bring SG1 people onto Atlantis. (though she did say she'd welcome MS and RDA!! Since DH gets to play with Amanda!)
                              It's interesting, but this is definitely something I'm playing around with in my mind...that because they spent so much time dealing with the ship issue last year, they've forgotten who Sam is and what she does.

Perhaps we should send them a Carter Primer to remind them of the hundreds of things Sam's done that had nothing to do with Jack or ship.

Another possibility is the fact that Sam clearly is the leader of the team, regardless of what Mitchell says or does. She just exudes leadership and authority and he exudes immaturity and awkwardness. We can't have our bright and shiny new toy look bad next to HER, now can we?

Of course, the way they could have solved both those issues was to make her the team leader for real. She'd have TONS of non-ship related storylines and Mitchell would fit right because he'd be the new guy learning from Sam.

And then there's the Vala factor. Apparently there can't be a BOTH...it has to be an EITHER/OR after all. How sad that is and what a pathetic footnote to what once was a really well written show with deep, abiding friendships among their characters. I'll have to imagine a Sam/Vala friendship and file it under "what might have been"...which is starting to be my catchphrase for Season 9 and the Stargate franchise as a whole.

Are they trying to make me resent Mitchell and Vala? Because they're doing a fantastic job right now in accomplishing this very thing.

I really smell some behind the scenes studio stuff here...people who neither know about nor care about the real history of the show and want things this way or that way to appease a certain demographic, whatever that demographic may be (apparently the demographic they're aiming to please is not that of longtime SG-1 fans).

These are all just mindless speculations on my part though and I probably shouldn't post any of it because it's just that...SPECULATION. We'll know more soon enough.
                              Last edited by Uber; 30 October 2005, 12:37 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                How intriguing it is to go to other forums and read posts by people who don't like or even hate Carter say what a raw deal Amanda's being given. I ignore the few that dance with glee (very small group that they are) and am gratified to see that this idea is pretty much panned universally.

So, amazingly, the SG fanbase is pretty much united on two major issues...one, the stupidity of having a newbie greenhorn with no real purpose lead SG-1 over Sam and two, that having Sam's role diminish/disrespecting Amanda is a bad idea.

And I thought the fanbase was much more fractured than that.

Hey...at least we can all agree on something.
                                Guess fans are quivering in fear that one of the few quality shows around is being prematurely and raggedly tweaked into oblivion. Better the whole show than a sinking half!

Just sayin', thanks for reporting around the net, &#220;ber; good to know there's a consensus for common sense out there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X