Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sclairef99
    I have been reading....and I read the blog...but after whatever was said was edited off the blog....so, could someone tell me, beside that CB is pregnant...and that it's written in....what the rant was about and what RCC said about the network!
    Oh, by all means. I saved it. Of course, this link might also work (one must love google, one really must):

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...argate/+&hl=en

Originally posted by Alex Levine at 12:27 AM
    September 14, 2005
    Those misogynistic PTB

Here I am channeling the words of Robert Cooper again… Strangely, not as much of a medium/psychic thing this time. This time I used what criminal defendants refer to as entrapment.

I was walking down the hall, and I said, innocuously… “So Rob, serious feedback on the Crusade spoilers, huh?” And, completely lured in, he went on to share some interesting info about Vala and Crusade, mostly in response to the gateworld fans who believe the writer’s (er…. Robert C. Cooper’s) choice to make Vala pregnant was misogynistic and cliché.

So…

For your information, Claudia Black is pregnant. Now if that’s not behind the scenes info I don’t know what is. She’s “with child.’ She’s “in a family way.” Now, there’s a bunch of other ways for me to say it, but they would be… inappropriate, perhaps even misogynistic. But you get the picture, right?

Now, here’s how it went down. Claudia did such a great job in the first six episodes, and was so adored by the producers, the studio, the network and the fans, that it was a foregone conclusion that she would be asked back. The producers wanted to have her back next year. The network was so enamored they wanted her back this year. But…. OOOPS… she got pregnant, because she thought she wouldn’t be back until next year… So Rob wrote the Crusade story in part to accommodate her personal choice to have a baby. What a misogynist!

And fan-boy says, once again the writers have done an ingenious job of working practical issues into compelling stories… For example, did you guys notice that Sam Carter was sparsely seen in the first six episodes of this season? Yup, Amanda Tapping had a baby too. And how about the whole “getting the team back together” angle from Avalon Pt. 1, Pt. 2 and Origin. That was done for two reasons. One, it seamlessly brought in our new hero, one Cam Mitchell. And two, many thought (as did the writers) that season 8 would be the end of the series, and Moebius really tied up a lot of loose ends. So there had to be a realistic way of pushing forward…

And it happens in Stargate: Atlantis too. For Coup D’État, they wanted Kolya back, but Robert Davi wasn’t available, so they had to roll with it and figure out another way to make the story work.

So the next time you guys go head-hunting, consider there might be more to the story than prejudice!

And by the way, Rob just told me that the true nature of the Vala pregnancy arc will not be revealed until season 10… if there is season 10, that is.

Posted by Alex Levine at 12:27 AM

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
      Oh, by all means. I saved it. You know, just because it was so articulate and compelling.

Of course, this link might also work (one must love google, one really must):

Thank you minigeek! The link did work! Wow....that's all I have to say about it right now....

*Hit's head -feels like an idiot - rolls eye*

I finally got it...Samanda....Sam/Amanda.....what a dumb a$$ I can be sometimes...

OK....what exactly does Hic Commitas Regit mean....I'm speculating...that it means something to the effect of we all have our opinnon and can express it?

Thanks for filling the Samanda newbie in....

S

Comment

Oh, by all means. I saved it. Of course, this link might also work (one must love google, one really must):

Thanks minigeek. All I can say is: Oh Puleez!

Comment

Ok, here's a specific episode issue I'd like to throw out there: How many of you wished it was Sam bonding with "charlie" in "Show and Tell?" Do you think they didn't do it b/c they didn't want Sam to be stereotyped in the "mother" role after Cassie?

Comment

Originally posted by crazedturkey
            OOooo yay!! serious discussion about feminism and internet culture! *hugs minigeek*
            Hugs back at ya, hun. But - virtual hugs - I'm all sneezy and gross right now, wouldn't want to get you sickly too!

Originally posted by crazedturkey
            So yes, in a sense,they aren't giving us as an audience credit thatmaybe we would keep watching the show for great plotlines, science and fun, with or without the "star power" of a male lead.
            There are days I simply don't understand the stodginess of the Network mentality. Just when you think they're "getting it", some new and ridiculous decision comes through someplace and you're left wondering what planet you're on again. I suppose all corporate culture is like that. You mentioned that you're a scientist, crazedturkey - that is so cool - what's your field? Unless of course it's theoretical astrophysics! I taught my nine year old nephew the name of that vocation when he told me he wanted to grow up and be a "math person". I said "What the heck is a math person? You know what's really cool that you could do with math?!" - and his eyes grew big as saucers - he says "What?" - I said, "C'mere, let me learn you somethin' kiddo..." Ha. Now you all should have seen his poor dad's face when he marches right up to him, bold as brass, and says: "Hey Dad! I wanna be a THEO-RETICAL ASTRO-PHYSI-CIST when I grow up okay?" - 'Dad' looks at me and says, "Guess I better double up on those college contributions. THANKS A LOT (minigeek)." LOL I am so not sorry. If the kid graduates college with a couple of PhDs (which I'm sure he will no matter what he does, he's a little genuis that kid), I'll be there waving a flag!

Cheers!
            M.G.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              Ok, here's a specific episode issue I'd like to throw out there: How many of you wished it was Sam bonding with "charlie" in "Show and Tell?" Do you think they didn't do it b/c they didn't want Sam to be stereotyped in the "mother" role after Cassie?
              I didn't sense any nefarious reasons for Sam not connecting with Charlie...

I think the point was that Charlie was told by "mother" that Jack was the one to trust exclusively...so naturally, he glommed onto him.

I loved the look Hammond gave Jack after Charlie corrected him as to how he should be addressed...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

"edit Sam out of all the pictures" website...?!? WTF! whats next? a slaughtering puppies website? why would anyone want to do that!?!

Comment

Hugs back at ya, hun. But - virtual hugs - I'm all sneezy and gross right now, wouldn't want to get you sickly too!

There are days I simply don't understand the stodginess of the Network mentality. Just when you think they're "getting it", some new and ridiculous decision comes through someplace and you're left wondering what planet you're on again. I suppose all corporate culture is like that. You mentioned that you're a scientist, crazedturkey - that is so cool - what's your field? Unless of course it's theoretical astrophysics! I taught my nine year old nephew the name of that vocation when he told me he wanted to grow up and be a "math person". I said "What the heck is a math person? You know what's really cool that you could do with math?!" - and his eyes grew big as saucers - he says "What?" - I said, "C'mere, let me learn you somethin' kiddo..." Ha. Now you all should have seen his poor dad's face when he marches right up to him, bold as brass, and says: "Hey Dad! I wanna be a THEO-RETICAL ASTRO-PHYSI-CIST when I grow up okay?" - 'Dad' looks at me and says, "Guess I better double up on those college contributions. THANKS A LOT (minigeek)." LOL I am so not sorry. If the kid graduates college with a couple of PhDs (which I'm sure he will no matter what he does, he's a little genuis that kid), I'll be there waving a flag!

Cheers!
                  M.G.
                  Trust me you don't want to hug me either. Unless ahead cold is your style.

I'm currently studying to be a medical doctor, but in a previous life I graduated with a degree in genetics and molecular genetics .

I like that idea of corporate culture. I think that's what it really comes down to in the end. They had a hit with RDA as the lead, so they just don't want to change the formula. It works out as a slight to AT, but I don't think it's personal. (Well it better bloody not be, or this little girl's going on the warpath ). Same thing with the whole Atlantis dealy. They had to get JF on board, because SG-1 had always had a military lead. Even though Weir is the head of the expedition .

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                    I just happen to be on vacation this week (going to Vancouver on Friday....can't wait....is it Friday???) and so I had some time.

Cheers,

Jan
                    Uh, if you see anyone we know (or would like to know), tell them hello for us, please?

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      I didn't sense any nefarious reasons for Sam not connecting with Charlie...

I think the point was that Charlie was told by "mother" that Jack was the one to trust exclusively...so naturally, he glommed onto him.

I loved the look Hammond gave Jack after Charlie corrected him as to how he should be addressed...

I loved that Hammond moment too. No, I didn't see it as nefarious or a slight to Sam, I guess I was just thinking what if they chose to tell the story a bit differently and Sam was the one he trusted etc.? It could have been cool, IMO. But don't get me wrong, I really liked Jack's interactions with the kid. (I am jckfan, after all. )

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                        Thanks minigeek. All I can say is: Oh Puleez!
                        <---running for the barf bucket

Wow, this is, this is....so defensive and childish. Churlish. Small.

Hurt me hurt me. I'm happy for CB, but it doesn't really change my thoughts on the ep spoilers.

But, Samandans, they have proven one thing: GW is on their radar and they feel the NEED to respond....and in THIS manner. That CAN'T be a bad thing. We still can't be ignored, and now we know it beyond a doubt. Still, the attitude is somewhat disturbing, condescending, did I mention churlish?

I'm not making sense, its late here and its been a long day....
                        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          why do i get the idea that somebody got in trouble??????

ok, as much as i enjoy grousing, we've probably had enough. Hows about we save those comments for the anti-s9 thread or some such place??

let's see...ok, let's play a game.
                          it's ascension. sam has just dealt with orlin. she's dealing with her friends thinking she's nuts, jack blowing her off with a 'knit something' (although he did redeem himself by sticking up for her in the end), she's had the nid crawling all over her house. she disobeyed regs by going through the gate with orlin...how would she react post Ascension?

forgive and forget right away? be a little ticked for a while? feel betrayed? angry? annoyed? would she consider quitting? transferring?

would hammond have reprimanded her? if so, by what?

how do you see the fallout of Ascension happening?
                          Ooo, I've read a couple of good Ascension tags - One where Daniel comes around to see how shes doing, but he feels abit hurt and betrayed that Sam didn't tell him about Orlin. Especially since he was an ancient and we know that Daniel's keen to learn all he can about them after Oma Desala. So Sam and Daniel have a little chat with much angst (like all good fanfics ) and it had some nice Sam/Daniel friendship

Then there was another where Hammond gave her a kinda stern, but fatherly dressing down. That had some good Sam/Hammond stuff in it

I think she would have felt angry, definately. Pentagon secretly investigating her. Poking around her house without her knowing, seeing all her personal effects and stuff. Then she'd probably be abit angry and Jack and the rest for kinda blowing her off. But then I think she'd feel a bit ashamed by how it turned out, the fact that she didn't confide in Daniel or Teal'c at the least.
                          Ah, such a great episode

Comment

General principles bump. No one has posted in almost a half-hour!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              Deepspace I'm appalled that you have been getting some unwelcome pm's. We all think the world of you here. The thread is never the same without your eloquence. Please keep posting and ignore the unwelcome pm's.

Is this something for the mods Sky or not?
                              if anyone receives threatening or off-color pm's, they need to forward them to the mods. if we determine that they are breaking the rules, we can do something. however, without the evidence of the pm, it's he said/she said and we really can't do anything
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

here's another trick to clean out your pm box without deleting them. go into your pm's and look at the bottom of the page. theres a 'download private messges as text/xml/something else'

do the download as text (which is the only one i've done) and all your pm's will be downloaded and saved to your harddrive.

and gateworld rules apply to anything through gateworld, rep comments and private messges as well as posts. people send you a pm with nasty names or threats in it, report it to darren, report it to me, snag any other mod that you see online at the time.

let us deal with them.

you also have the ignore feature, put a poster on ignore and they can't pm you

just, in all of this, we need proof. we can see the rep comments, but not the pm's. you will need to forward that along to one of us
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X