Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    speaking of the teamyness, i had an issue with mitch in the beginning, strolling along, snapping his gum.

seemed rather unprofessional and i have to wonder if mitch isn't still suffering from a bit of marty sue syndrome.

remember 'the other guys' and felger? how it played into felger's fantasy and was so over the top that many thought that the whole episode was a dream?

elements of this still carry over onto cam. his actions in the very beginning are very 'gee, look mom, i getta play with the cool kids'

I liked him in the rest of it, but that very beginning was just a bit too flip
    LOL - Okay the gum thing reminded me more of a Chuck Yeager, pilot, arrogance kind of thing. He does seem to have more the pilot attitude than any other SG-1 character we have had to date. There are still plenty of rough edges to smooth out with Mitchell but I'm willing to give them some more time to see where he goes. I do look forward to seeing how Mitchell and Carter interact in
    Spoiler:
    Stronghold - early spoiler information could make for some good stuff between them in this episode

As for AT - I don't remember if I read it or if it was said at Comic Con but I believe when she first returned to work she was only on set part time the first couple of weeks and then by her third week back she was back on full-time. I would also guess that part of the time she was missing in Babylon she was off filming her single scenes from ExDM.
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
      I completely agree. It seems as if he being aloof at the entire situation, like a child wanting to know "are we there yet?" Jack would've been annoyed a bit, but he would of at least been aware of his surroundings. And he wouldn't have continued talking when Teal'c heard something.

Sam, on the other hand, knew exactly how to handle this situation. I wonder if the higher ups would have pressured Hammond or even Jack to declare someone MIA. Seems awful quick for them to do that to Mitchell.
      Yeah...how many times did Hammond disregard orders to save his people? I've lost count...but the most obvious was the whole threading the needle ep "Into the Fire."

Landry might be too much of a stickler...but Hammond was too at first.

I'm still not getting a solid vibe as to how he and Sam will relate. She must know that Jack put him into that position...and he must know how Jack feels about Sam and the others...and I don't mean in a shippy light, but in a respect and admiration light. We do know that Landry knows that she's the go-to girl...he said as much in Beachhead...

Landry: Jack…Jack…Jack! She practically invented the Mark 9 and you’re the one who thinks we should use the damn thing! Why are you wasting valuable time saying no? <pauses to listen to Jack> I’ve read enough of your SG-1 mission reports to know that there were times when no one else but Samantha carter could have pulled your ass out of the fire. Well this is one of those times....

So Landry knows who he has there...and now that Sam's back permanently, I gotta tell you for the life of me I don't get why this scene hasn't happened yet:

Landry: You know, Mitchell, I kind of liked the idea of you leading SG-1 when it was just you building a team from scratch...but now with Colonel Carter back...

Mitchell (interrupts): ...now with Colonel Carter back, you're passing the reigns back to her.

Landry: That's not a red mark against you, Colonel. In no way is this meant to disrespect you or your leadership style...it's just that...

Mitchell: No disrespect taken, sir. I understand entirely. I requested this post to serve on SG-1 under her. The command's rightfully hers.

I guess my point is I'm not sensing the team vibe quite yet...I know it's early and as many have told me "Patience is a...uh...something-or-other." I'm not sure exactly what it is, because I was bored with the conversation by that point and my mind wandered off a bit...but patience is SOMETHING...that much I know for sure...

Last edited by Uber; 10 September 2005, 12:59 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        I'm going to go way OT and ask you all if you know anything about the Season 8 DVDs...most specifically when it comes to the Region 1 DVDs and if they will have the audio commentaries.

I ordered the Australian ones because all I ever got from Agent Dark was how great the R4 SG-1 DVDs are...but there are only FIVE commentaries for the entire season. FIVE.

Now Region 2 DVDs seem to fair better...and yet as I understand it they don't even include the commentaries from Citizen Joe or Threads. THREADS??!??? No audio commentary for arguably one of the most important episodes of the series???? THE episode that tied up several long standing MAJOR story arcs???? That's just wrong on so many levels.

So what I need to know is...A. Will Region 1 DVDs have audio commentaries and B. If yes, will these audio commentaries include Citizen Joe and Threads????

There's a third question here too...C...If there are audio commentaries coming for Citizen Joe and Threads, is Amanda doing either or did she just do Covenant's? I was stunned to find out she didn't do the one for Gemini(!!!) but I might be able to get over it if she does the one for Threads.

I have seen adds for the R1 DVD's and they say they will have audio commentaries for all 20 episodes. As for who does the commentaries - the actors are not paid to do audio commentaries and they are usually done on days off - keeping in mind that AT was pregnant when the last round was done it is not a surprise that she is only on one that we know of so far. No word yet on who does Citizen Joe and Threads. I know that PD likes having either AT or Gary Jones do them with him. He does not like doing them with writters or some of the other technical staff because he feels like he is taken to the "How Come" room when does them with them. When he does then he likes to have fun and not get questioned to much about directing decisions.
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
          Sky, you beat me to it, but here is the post I just put together before you posted.

I know I’m asking for a beating, but….

This is a totally superficial comment about CM, but something about him really bothered me in Babylon. It seemed unprofessional that he was a swaggering, gum chewing wise guy who apparently insists on wearing his cap backwards (this all from the opening scenes). I know that’s silly, but given the ultra-professional quality of those he “commands” it only made him appear child-like and amateurish.
          I saw BB briefly in Farscape and his acting seemed self-assured and mature. I'm reading all of today's posts and agreeing with all of you ... what happened? Something is definitely missing along the line of just who the writers want this Cam Mitchell to be ... an actor needs his own backstory of his character and often embellishes and projects to motivate him/herself. But I've seen no growth for Cam ... and yes, the swaggering gum-chewing and cap-wearing routine certainly doesn't raise Cam up to the level I'd expect for a team leader. Now it's almost as if he's borrowing from the John Sheppard school of leadership ... but a Sheppard or an O'Neill can get away with all the braggadacio. For some reason, it's not working for Cam.

It's sad because, by now, the team should make us want to care about them ... and, aside from brief moments of Sam, I am not bonding!

There is no cohesion ... too many tangents ... maybe too many cooks in the Sony/MGM kitchen.

Comment

Captions?

Yeah, Mitchel, great flyby and drop off - but you were supposed to take out the tower to the south!!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
              As for AT - I don't remember if I read it or if it was said at Comic Con but I believe when she first returned to work she was only on set part time the first couple of weeks and then by her third week back she was back on full-time. I would also guess that part of the time she was missing in Babylon she was off filming her single scenes from ExDM.
              That sounds like a reasonable reason and I think we are perhaps being too harsh - we should be happy that she is there if I had a daughter I probably wouldnt still be around if I was an actor
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                Yeah, Mitchel, great flyby and drop off - but you were supposed to take out the tower to the south!!
                LOL Good one!

Comment

On another note ... can our Royal Census Taker please reveal the final tally for the two front-running candidates for Flag for Samanda?!

Fellow Samandans, do you want to have one final survey up with these two designs or just go with the Flag that got the most votes initially?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...dII0904134.jpg

Picture the new Samandan Flag flying here!

Jester
                  Last edited by Skydiver; 10 September 2005, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                    LOL - Okay the gum thing reminded me more of a Chuck Yeager, pilot, arrogance kind of thing. He does seem to have more the pilot attitude than any other SG-1 character we have had to date. There are still plenty of rough edges to smooth out with Mitchell but I'm willing to give them some more time to see where he goes. I do look forward to seeing how Mitchell and Carter interact in
                    Spoiler:
                    Stronghold - early spoiler information could make for some good stuff between them in this episode

And I loved her in EDM. BUT, even so, there should have been a scene at the end where they all bonded..."good to see you back"..."good to see you alive and well"...SOMETHING to emphasize them bonding as a team.

ANYTHING.

I mean they didn't have to do it in Paradise Lost because that unity, that BOND was in place. That sense of TEAM.

So they wanted an ep to go more into Cam's character. GREAT. But, it is a team based show and it REALLY needed something to show that they are starting to create that SG-1 family.

Something I hope will develop soon.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Captions?

You're telling me Über is opening her own site? In November? Roger that...
                      Now...I don't know...maybe it's just me...but is this or is this not THE BEST DANG CAPTION EVER TO GRACE THE COURTS OF SAMANDA???????

Comment

Captions?

"Romeozulu...this is Julietbravo...Wherefore art thou? Over..."

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                          That sounds like a reasonable reason and I think we are perhaps being too harsh - we should be happy that she is there if I had a daughter I probably wouldnt still be around if I was an actor
                          I don't know that anyone is *blaming AT* for the lack of Sam in these episodes. If she truly wasn't back full time ok. But I still think they could have made *more effective use* of her time.

Re: the Season 8 DVD commentaries. The more AT the better, but I understand why she wouldn't have been available to do many. So she's not doing the commentary on the Replicator Carter episode(s)? I just hope they don't have just *tech guys* on those like they did for Grace. What a disappointment. Here was an AT tour de force and we barely heard about what a great job she did--they were too busy talking about lighting the Prometheus. I like to hear more about the acting. It must be kind of weird to comment on your own acting though--that could be partly why AT didn't do the Grace commentary.

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by SamFan31
                            Captions?

Romeozulu...this is Julietbravo...wherefore art thou? Over..."
                            Julietbravo...this is Romeozulu...I'm climbing to the balcony. The rope is in fire. You don't need those lights to shine on screen ! Repeat, you don't need those lights to....Aaaaaaaaahhhh !!!! *static*
                            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                              Personally, I actually considered the promotion to head of R&D to be a wonderful career move for Sam and I honestly can't image why should would take a step backwards in her career to be 2IC on SG-1 again. It really doesn't make any sense to me. But you see, I think all the vagueness is just the writers way of not really wanting to put anything in stone so that at any given moment they can just change the storyline to fit their needs. We can't hold them to their word for anything this season, because really they haven't told us anything.
                              Putting aside the fact that as an audience member I want to see Sam in the field, you're right that they really haven't given us an explanation of why this wouldn't be a backward career step.
                              I'd like to believe that the reason we didn't see Sam much in tonight's episode is because Sam never stepped down from her position in R&D. She is still very much a part of R&D and that she's just doing it from the SGC now. It's also one of the only reasons I will believe that she wasn't worried about taking a step backwards in her career to be a part of SG-1; because in my mind she didn't. She's just adding her skill and experience to help out with SG-1 when it's necessary. Therefore there will be episodes throughout the season that are Sam-light, like Babylon, and I will just assume she is busy dealing with all of her other duties at the SGC.
                              I love this reasoning. I will try to remember that when I miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                On another note ... can our Royal Census Taker please reveal the final tally for the two front-running candidates for Flag for Samanda?!

Fellow Samandans, do you want to have one final survey up with these two designs or just go with the Flag that got the most votes initially?

Picture the new Samandan Flag flying here!

Jester
                                Well, I'd like us to have another squiz at voting for the flag. Maybe we could just do it internally though? Within the thread, just count votes manually? I think in the end a lot of people outside the thread ended up voting last time, and if we're choosing between the final two I'd like it to be something that the Samandan citizens want. Then some photoshop genius can do it up properly with a few windblown folds, and hoist it upon the wonderful castle .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X