Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by startrekempress
    But I suppose I can suffer as long as they don't get to the point of having her fix her makeup during briefings (which some shows have deigned to do).

~Sarah
    I am sure Jack would get a laugh out of that
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
      As I am not from the states I dont get all this southern stuff - could someone explain please?
      Southern means being from the Southern portion of the United States (Virginia - Florida and then the "Deep South" of Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisana). Many southern women do not leave their houses without the "proper attire" - meaning wearing makeup, making certain that their hair is properly done (or wearing a wig if you don't have time). Basically, they must always look presentable.

Being a southern girl myself, I only make certain that my hair looks decent and that I don't look slovenly in my clothing. I could care less about makeup.

Hope that helps!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
        Many southern women do not leave their houses without the "proper attire" - meaning wearing makeup, making certain that their hair is properly done (or wearing a wig if you don't have time). Basically, they must always look presentable.
        and how does that differ from northern women - surely they try to look presentable or are you trying to say that southern women 'dress up' even if they are going to pick up the newspaper
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Are you sure that cake is safe - it looks radioactive to me
          Sure it is ! It's a naquadah/blue jello cake.
          Wanna try it ? It's a piece of cake !
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

and how does that differ from northern women - surely they try to look presentable or are you trying to say that southern women 'dress up' even if they are going to pick up the newspaper
            Some southern women do that, some do not. It really depends. I would say the older southern women perform this "ritual." I know a few northern women who throw on a baseball cap and sweats to go to the grocery store. I've seen southern women go to the grocery store in hair curlers and slippers (the kind you wear around the house in your pajamas). I've walked to get the newspaper in my pajamas. I wouldn't set foot in a store like that, though. It really comes down to the age factor, I think.
            sigpic

Comment

Some southern women do that, some do not. It really depends. I would say the older southern women perform this "ritual." I know a few northern women who throw on a baseball cap and sweats to go to the grocery store. I've seen southern women go to the grocery store in hair curlers and slippers (the kind you wear around the house in your pajamas). I've walked to get the newspaper in my pajamas. I wouldn't set foot in a store like that, though. It really comes down to the age factor, I think.
              In other words some of the older ones perform this ritual and it has been exaggerated a bit too form 'southern' jokes
              love Torri

Comment

In other words some of the older ones perform this ritual and it has been exaggerated a bit too form 'southern' jokes
                Basically, yes. It's not limited to just the older generation. But, IMO, the older ladies perfrom this more often than the younger ones.
                sigpic

Comment

Southern means being from the Southern portion of the United States (Virginia - Florida and then the "Deep South" of Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisana). Many southern women do not leave their houses without the "proper attire" - meaning wearing makeup, making certain that their hair is properly done (or wearing a wig if you don't have time). Basically, they must always look presentable.

Being a southern girl myself, I only make certain that my hair looks decent and that I don't look slovenly in my clothing. I could care less about makeup.

Hope that helps!
                  I think in the past, there were very real US regional differences, in how women appeared in public, but over the past 10-20 years, these differences have slowly been eroded by re-location of many "Yankees" down south and just by time. Some women will always try and look their best when going out and others just either don't care or can't be bothered with the time it takes.

Just my opinion.....I'm old school, I guess. I try to look at least like I tried a little before venturing out into public. Now, how I look at home, we won't talk about it.

Of course, if I looked like AT, it wouldn't matter, would it? She probably looked radiant while giving birth........
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I don't think it's "exaggerated," per se. A lot of my family is from the South (North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc.), and they kinda follow that rule as well. It's more of a stereotype (that's somewhat true) than an exaggeration. It's really a cultural thing that extends back to the mid-1800's I think, give or take a decade. Does that sound about right, Chevron?

I guess you could say it's like the "Valley Girls" of California. You know, "the blonde, fashion-obsessed, young women." That kinda thing. It's based somewhat in reality, but it can be a lame generalization.

Comment

Wow, Y'all:

This discussion on the dressing of Southern women has shed some light on why I don't fit in very well down here...wigs???? Holy moses hannah and then some!

Besides, it COULDN'T be my sparkling potatohead personality or my radioactive Jaffa cake diet....

<---lives in south, moved here from Chicago, from DC from San Francisco
                      If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                      proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                      Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        I don't think it's "exaggerated," per se. A lot of my family is from the South (North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc.), and they kinda follow that rule as well. It's more of a stereotype (that's somewhat true) than an exaggeration. It's really a cultural thing that extends back to the mid-1800's I think, give or take a decade. Does that sound about right, Chevron?
                        Yep. That's about right.

I've tried to get my hair to look marginally like Amanda's but fail miserably. I just don't want to have to maintain it by putting products in it - the humidity alone would flatten it like a Jaffa hitting the Iris.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                          This discussion on the dressing of Southern women has shed some light on why I don't fit in very well down here...
                          Tomorrow when you get up put your best makeup and clothes on for when you serve breakfast
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Lida

Just my opinion.....I'm old school, I guess. I try to look at least like I tried a little before venturing out into public. Now, how I look at home, we won't talk about it.
                            That about describes me...at LEAST a baseball hat if necessary, clothes that fit, and lip gloss. Oh, and actual shoes - flip flops at least - no slippers. But that's just me as well. Sorry, TMI!!!!

Originally posted by Lida
                            Of course, if I looked like AT, it wouldn't matter, would it? She probably looked radiant while giving birth........
                            I triple dog dare the Master of all Things Tapping (Qasim) to document that photographically.....

p.s. i'm still waiting for post natal radiance.....it would prolly help if I would get off this dang computer and go join the living...... Sorry TMI again.
                            If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                            proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                            Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

sam and teal'c have had a few moments in the past few years

matter of time - him offering to help her
                              foothold - when he stays behind so that she can escape
                              space race - the whole 'indeed' bit, and more
                              paradise lost - her crying on his shoulder
                              revelations - the 'way of the warrior' chat
                              beast of burden - him and her still loose while jack and daniel were captured

sam and daniel....have they really had any scenes together since space race? at least not ones where they chat
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                sam and teal'c have had a few moments in the past few years

matter of time - him offering to help her
                                foothold - when he stays behind so that she can escape
                                space race - the whole 'indeed' bit, and more
                                paradise lost - her crying on his shoulder
                                revelations - the 'way of the warrior' chat
                                beast of burden - him and her still loose while jack and daniel were captured

sam and daniel....have they really had any scenes together since space race? at least not ones where they chat
                                Thanks for the recap Sky, it's bringing back great memories. And Sam and Daniel have always shared a close bond.....wish I had Sky's memory, unfortunately, I don't.
                                On fighting:
                                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                                X