Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
    Thank you! There is this show on TV where 5 people take turns in cooking dinner for everyone.
    Every other week they have a "vegetarian" on the show who does not seem to mind eating fish.
    Seriously, I don't get it!
    The dinner host makes lamb or ostrich or whatever and then turns to the camera and goes "in case there are vegetarians among the guests I bought some fish".
    5 times out of 5 the vegetarian will be more than happy to eat fish.
    Somebody explain this to me.

There are vegetarians that eat dairy products and eggs, there are those that don't and then there are vegans. I was a vegetarian twenty years ago and fish got nowhere near my dinner plate.
    Am I missing something? Are fish not animals? Are they some strange sort of vegetable and I missed that part in my biology class... although I distinctly remember having to speak for 5 minutes on the blood circulatory system in fish when I was in 6th grade?!? *is seriously confused by fish-eating vegetarians*

BTT: AT rocks! *

It says so on my iPod!
    i seriously dont get it either! maybe fish became vegies when we werent looking

AT sure does rock! and it must be true if its on your ipod

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    I posted this on the Sam/Jack thread but realized that it would be a good thing to post on AT's thread. We were discussing Continuum and that great moment when the remainder of SG1 come through the gate onto the Achilles.

<snip>

I'm tellin' you, this was Brad's homage to Sam/Jack. Samantha (Captain-Major-Lt.Col-Col-Doctor) Carter never answers I don't know.

One of the first things you learn in service is that "I don't know" is an unacceptable answer. You never "don't know," you offer options, theories, or say that you'll find out. But you never say, "I don't know."

And Sam Carter never doesn't know.

Until now.

This was a brilliant, brilliant piece of Amanda Tapping acting. Just brilliant. One last note on AT acting. When the gate closes off leaving them in darkness, she actually gasps out loud. That was surprising, but really great. You can hear it's her.

Wow.
    wow, awesome analysis of the scene! and talk about ship obsessed... when i typed <snip> it started out as <ship> and i had to correct it

mind you i have the same problem with sam & same as well as amanda & amazon... go figure

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    Quick catch up:

Lesbian stereotypes? Never listen to them. You'd never know my gf or I were lesbians by just looking at us as we don't fit the 'image' of what they perceived we should look like or act like. I could care less. I'm not here to please anyone or their way of thinking and funnily enough, I get a kick out of seeing people's reactions when I correct them. *g*

Vegan vs. Vegetarian: Totally applaud those who strive to live this way and their many varied reasoning why. It's a life choice and one that I can definitely respect.
    thats an awesome attitude to have cel! better off being happy then trying to fit someones expectations of what you should be...

and definately a life choice... im the only vegetarian in my family and my bro is always giving me flack *in the way brothers do*

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
    I live in Connecticut where same sex marriage has been legal for over a year now. In fact I celebrated my first year anniversary on February 14 of this year. You would be surprised at some of the reactions I get when Charmaine introduces me as her wife. It's funny because people still expect us to introduce ourselves as "partners".
    thats awesome wine_buyer! belated happy first anniversary

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    Wife/partner

We get that a lot too. We've been together 11 years this year, got "legally" married in 08 during that brief window in California.

potayto, potahto...the world hasn't ended since we said I do. :::shrug::: My partner can pass, but me? Not as easily.
    thats neat that you were able to get married in california!

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    There are only five states at the moment where gay marriage is legal (VT, NH, MA, CT and IA) but I still have hope that will change in the future with the state ban on same sex marriage being challenged by activists who say that it violates equal protection guarantees in state constitutions. Voters have stepped up and approved constitutional amendments banning gay marriage, but again activists just shifted their thinking and gone through state legislatures hoping to gain recognition. It's definitely a hard fought battle here in the States and personally, a sad one. Love should not be based on gender.

I have friends who say they are 'married' even though gay marriage is not legal in Indiana. In their eyes, they might as well be though. One friend of mine and her 'wife' even went through IVF and now are the proud parents of a healthy little boy. I know one day they're hoping state bans will be lifted as well.

Sorry for the soap box. I get a bit carried away sometimes on this subject.

Congrats on your one year anniversary too.
    it baffles me to no end that gay marriages are not legal... for starters love is love and you dont choose who you love whether you are gay or straight... secondly its nobody's business but the two people who wish to declare their love in a ceremony in front of family and friends... nobody is asking those against it to attend the ceremony, they dont even know the people... i dont understand why they think it is any of their business... how would they like it if someone told them they couldnt marry the person they loved... how would they like it if someone told them they couldnt raise a family with the person they loved... marriage should be about the union of two people who love each other... and as long as a child has a loving family who cares if their parents are gay or straight...

two of my friends a gay and one is bi... as long as they are happy that is the only thing that is important, who it is that makes them happy is up to them and them alone...

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
    I liked how those scenes with the other team members showed just as much about their characters as how Sam saw them. I especially liked Daniel snapping his fingers. I wonder if MS got the good snaps on the first takes or if it took a few tries/sound effects

Edit -- P.S. I just recently changed my background to be the infamous "Grace Kiss" with Sam and Jack. I hadn't seen it in a while and went "Whew! That was hot!", so it is back on the screen again
    i love all sams relationships with the hallucinations in grace... and that kiss definately is hot!

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    Having a bit of an identity crisis catching up on this thread. Lo these many years I thought I was straight but I love veggies (gay), also eat some meat though (straight), wear low shoes (gay), don't drink beer (straight), AT fan (gay), don't smoke (straight), tree hugger (gay), no tatoos (straight). Apparently it all comes down to the fact that I do shave my legs and am therefore straight!
    hehe, identity crisis indeed...

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
    I've been looking forward to reading this, it was great. Why do I have the feeling that Amanda's con report is going to be very detailed?
    thanks rocky, glad you liked it lol, yeah i dont want to forget one moment, look, smile or comment from amanda!

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    I've noticed that too, one of the first things I'm asked is if I eat fish. Rather odd indeed.
    yep

Nice report! Given AT's history with getting injured in stunts, I thought it was quite funny (in hindsight ) that the worst stunt Dan Shea had was where she was nearly set on fire. No wonder they always had to check on her afterwards!
    and this one wasnt even her fault
    "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

One of my favourite comediennes reckons she will be happy when it's not even called gay marriage- just marriage. "I support gay marriage. Or as I like to call it: marriage. I had lunch today, I didn't have gay lunch."

But she does wear gay shoes
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
        One of my favourite comediennes reckons she will be happy when it's not even called gay marriage- just marriage. "I support gay marriage. Or as I like to call it: marriage. I had lunch today, I didn't have gay lunch."

i think that is an awesome goal... for it to be just called marriage for all...
        "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          Having a bit of an identity crisis catching up on this thread. Lo these many years I thought I was straight but I love veggies (gay), also eat some meat though (straight), wear low shoes (gay), don't drink beer (straight), AT fan (gay), don't smoke (straight), tree hugger (gay), no tatoos (straight). Apparently it all comes down to the fact that I do shave my legs and am therefore straight!
          Urgh, now you've given me an identity crisis.
          Love veggies (gay), eat meat (straight), wear low shoes only (gay), don't drink alcohol (straight), AT fan (gay), don't smoke (straight), tattoos (gay), love hockey (which makes me gay in my country and straight in Canada), shave legs (straight), love miyed martial arts (which makes me gay in my country and a hick in North America).
          Guess it's a toss up then.

Originally posted by donamac View Post
          I don't eat red meat--there, now you've heard. My only reason is that I can't seem to digest it anymore. And I really did like it very much. My mouth waters when I smell a barbeque outdoors in summer. I have no problem with chicken or turkey or seafood (love salmon). I make sure I get plenty of protein with that or legumes. Lentil soup is high on my list. I also love cheese, especially a nice sharp cheddar. When I am asked which I prefer at a luncheon or on airlines, I usually pick vegetarian just in case the "regular" meal is red meat.
          lol, could you say that again because I don't think I heard it. ;-)
          Actually, I meant on the show that I sometimes watch. I have never heard anyone *in my country* say that they don't eat red meat. It seems to be a lot more common in the US.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
          Halal (I cannae type) is a kinda list of permissible foods under dietary restrictions that some Muslim people follow. There's no pork or alcohol and meat has to have been slaughtered in a certain way. Since there was no way she could get Halal meat she was effectively vegetarian There are other restrictions, but I don't know all the details, only generalities.
          We have certified Halal products in the supermarket (prepacked). If I was going for fresh Halal meat I would just visit one of our local Turkish butchers.

I thought AT played the injured very well too, nothing too OTT, but the subtle wincing, the slight unsteadiness in her gait, etc really sold it, IMO.

And I loved all the hallucinations as well, it helped make the episode feel a bit more teamy even though she was really on her own. Talking about security with Teal'c, trading scientific theories with Daniel, and Jack telling her not to give up and give saving herself one more try. Though my favorite ones are probably Sam hearing Jacob talk about her mother, and Sam blowing bubbles with Grace and saying that her mom used to sing 'Twinkle, twinkle' to her. I like that in such a situation and so close to death, Sam would be thinking so much about her mom.
          Who is this Sam you write about? She sounds interesting!

I am with you on the great performance by AT. Very subtle but totally realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
            i think that is an awesome goal... for it to be just called marriage for all...
            sigpic

Comment

the bad thing about e.coli in veggies, sometimes it's the groundwater that's contaminated, which the plants absorb, so all the washing in the world won't take it out. it's IN the plant.

as to vegans, it's my understanding that a 'pure' vegan - so to speak - eats NOTHING animal derived. no gelatin, no eggs, no cheese, nothing that doesn't come from a plant. the downside is, it's almost impossible to eat out anywhere as a vegan and get no animal products. the only way to keep a food totally animal free is to cook it yourself

I don't think we've ever seen sam have any food quirks. course, we rarely saw her eat. what's so funny, sam's love for blue jello, it simply stemmed from having a scene where they were eating and AT picking something she could eat and eat and eat and not get full/eat too much. Jello, especially if it's sugar free, is practically calorie free. And i know that was a concern for her for most of SG-1. she had to keep herself trim. I remember any time she so much as gained a couple of pounds, all of a sudden the 'is she preggers?' rumors started.

she, and other actors, often have to work very hard to keep themselves almost underweight so they look 'good' on camera. This is something that's changing a bit because I've noticed more and more actors on shows that aren't whip thin. I think that's one reason I like Brit shows, they don't seem quite as obsessed with hiring only the 'pretty people' and just hire good actors
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've noticed that too, one of the first things I'm asked is if I eat fish. Rather odd indeed.

Nice report! Given AT's history with getting injured in stunts, I thought it was quite funny (in hindsight ) that the worst stunt Dan Shea had was where she was nearly set on fire. No wonder they always had to check on her afterwards!

Heh, I used to be able to joke with my carnivorous friends that I didn't have to worry about stuff like E. coli or salmonella in my food, and then that whole E.coli in spinach thing a while back put an end to that.

I thought AT played the injured very well too, nothing too OTT, but the subtle wincing, the slight unsteadiness in her gait, etc really sold it, IMO.

And I loved all the hallucinations as well, it helped make the episode feel a bit more teamy even though she was really on her own. Talking about security with Teal'c, trading scientific theories with Daniel, and Jack telling her not to give up and give saving herself one more try. Though my favorite ones are probably Sam hearing Jacob talk about her mother, and Sam blowing bubbles with Grace and saying that her mom used to sing 'Twinkle, twinkle' to her. I like that in such a situation and so close to death, Sam would be thinking so much about her mom.
                One of the things I love most about AT's acting style is her subtlety, as Helen and as Sam. AT can convey more emotion and/or meaning with a simple raised eyebrow than most TV actresses with all of their "look at me I'm ACTING" emoting. I actually find that type of acting distracting and don't watch a lot of what is on TV as a result. Sad thing is these are the ones who get the awards.

Thanks all for the Anniversary wishes.

One side note to the gay thing is that I will be glad when gay/lesbian is dropped from sentences where it's completely unnessary. Example: "Lesbian, "Wanda Sykes will be getting her own talk show".
                What does being a lesbian have to do with being a talk show host? We have not been seeing headlines that say "Heterosexual, Jay Leno will be returning to the Tonight Show".
                It's just stupid and silly.
                Last edited by wine_buyer; 11 March 2010, 04:05 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

I always like to keep my 'Gay Agenda' up to date...at the moment 'Eat Gay Lunch' is the top of the list, Second is 'Buy last flight for summer' and third is 'wrap birthday presents for M and S'.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  she, and other actors, often have to work very hard to keep themselves almost underweight so they look 'good' on camera. This is something that's changing a bit because I've noticed more and more actors on shows that aren't whip thin. I think that's one reason I like Brit shows, they don't seem quite as obsessed with hiring only the 'pretty people' and just hire good actors
                  I remember watching a kids TV show many years ago (when I was much younger than I am now, but probably older than the target audience. I think I was avoiding revising.) It had a bunch of youngsters who were in stage school in the UK and some doing the equivalent in the US and they swopped for a few weeks.

The young people from the US did loads of workshops on techniques while they were in the UK and the young people from the UK learnt how to market themselves. While I have no doubt that the editing of the show did deliberately highlight the differences to make the show interesting it was a very striking contrast.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                  My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

One side note to the gay thing is that I will be glad when gay/lesbian is dropped from sentences where it's completely unnessary. Example: "Lesbian, "Wanda Sykes will be getting her own talk show".
                    What does being a lesbian have to do with being a talk show host? We have not been seeing headlines that say "Heterosexual, Jay Leno will be returning to the Tonight Show".
                    I'm gonna get blasted for this... What drives me up a wall is any minority pride day/month/march etc. These huge celebrations of I am what I am and I want what I want, yet if someone of a majority ( St. Paddy's Day aside - though I suppose Irish ancestry could be minority) has anything remotely similar they get labeled as haters.

Anywho, off to read the Aussie con report.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

That really gets my goat. The other thing that really drives me up the wall is 'woman speaker' 'woman soldier' 'woman Doctor' in the media in headlines. It's the overwhelming compulsion to highlight things that don't need highlighting in articles. Someone might be a woman, or they might be gay, or whatever, but why is it highlighted in the headline? It is the other bit that is actually relevant. It is an extension of your thing across the board.
                      sigpic
                      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Like if there is to be a 'miss black america' that's all right. but 'miss white america' is prejudice?

sometimes everyone works so hard to accommodate every single minority and person of color, that if you're Caucasian you feel kinda left out.

the attitude may have to change soon because, numerically, in America, Caucasians are quickly becoming a minority.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          I'm gonna get blasted for this... What drives me up a wall is any minority pride day/month/march etc. These huge celebrations of I am what I am and I want what I want, yet if someone of a majority ( St. Paddy's Day aside - though I suppose Irish ancestry could be minority) has anything remotely similar they get labeled as haters.

Anywho, off to read the Aussie con report.
                          You are entitled to your opinion there, but, have you considered that most days and events could be regarded as majority day/events? Every day could be looked at as straight pride day. Straight people don't have to tell others that they're straight. They don't have to worry about whether revealing that they like the opposite sex is going to provoke a negative reaction in those around them or whether people will treat them differently because of it.

Mainstream events are for the mainstream. They can be accessed by minority groups, but they're not aimed at them Equally most minority parades/events that I have been to have welcomed anyone too them...they've just been targeted in what they provide.
                          sigpic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
                            it baffles me to no end that gay marriages are not legal... for starters love is love and you dont choose who you love whether you are gay or straight... secondly its nobody's business but the two people who wish to declare their love in a ceremony in front of family and friends... nobody is asking those against it to attend the ceremony, they dont even know the people... i dont understand why they think it is any of their business... how would they like it if someone told them they couldnt marry the person they loved... how would they like it if someone told them they couldnt raise a family with the person they loved... marriage should be about the union of two people who love each other... and as long as a child has a loving family who cares if their parents are gay or straight...
                            one of the 'dirty little secrets' of gay marriage, isnt' just the religious objections (not from me by the way, i'm all for it) but it does have economic issues as well. Insurance companies, for example, would have to give the 'cheaper' family rate to married couples - regardless of gender. Work places would have to give FMLA etc to more people if marriages apply regardless of the genders involved.

and while they are letting the conservative religious groups shoulder the fight right now, they are keeping an eye on things, because letting the term 'marriage' apply regardless of gender opens them up to financial loses.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Like if there is to be a 'miss black america' that's all right. but 'miss white america' is prejudice?

sometimes everyone works so hard to accommodate every single minority and person of color, that if you're Caucasian you feel kinda left out.

the attitude may have to change soon because, numerically, in America, Caucasians are quickly becoming a minority.
                              According to Wikipedia it isn't projected to actually happen until 2042. As of 2008 75% of the population of the US was White.

Plenty of time to plan that White History Month.
                              sigpic
                              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

So, Sam

She doesn't strike me as someone to have an issue with 'don't ask/don't tell'. And we saw in the earlier seasons that she did have a definite chip on her shoulder over being a woman, so likely had experienced some gender bias and flak for being a woman in a man's world.

how do you think she's changed over the years?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X