Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
    Yeah, I feel the same, its Amanda as person I "fangurl" to me it wouldn't matter what she looked like.

Julia(samcarterrules)

i fangirl amanda because she's soooooooooooooooo nice!! but... i have to admit, looks play a small part in it. it starts when i first start getting to know a character. i like to put myself into the character, and when the female is gorgeous, it's kind of like *i'm* that gorgeous too, you know? i'm not ugly, but i'm also not a tall, blond bombshell either (or dark haired now).

it's that living through a character, and in some parts, the entertainer too, that i'm afraid *does* make looks play a part. i'm not proud of it, but i can't help it to some sorts.

if amanda wasn't so gorgeous, i'd still fangirl her. but, her being the bombshell that she is works into the total fantasy of pretendhood. (i just reread what i said and at myself)

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      that's one reason i like dr who...the brits don't have that 'the only worthy people are size 0's with 38 inch boobs' thing going on
      Amen! And to add to that, I love that they don't all have perfect teeth too. Apart from Sam, Donna Noble is the only woman in television that I adore for being strong and confident without being "perfect" in looks. I love other strong women, but they all fit the US tv standards.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
      ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Haha without knowing how this conversation started I shall give my two cents on the benefits of having small boobs.....being the owner of them...

- you don't need to wear a sports bra when exercising
        - it's comfy to lie on your stomache
        - you can go to the shops in winter without wearing a bra
        - as you age they really don't have anywhere to go (gravitational force wise)

there that's about it from me....
        sigpic

Comment

A friend an I have had a conversation about the acceptable level of 'hotness' in SciFi (specifically Star Trek). It is our belief that a girl has to be 'approachable' pretty, otherwise you start alienating the intelligent fans of sci fi because the belief goes towards "TPTB are just trying to boost their ratings with T&A"

Following me here?

Good.

We concluded that the girls on Star Trek: The Next Generation were within the acceptable range - very pretty, but not to the point of becoming unapproachable (i.e. 'girl next door pretty'). On DS9, Jadzia Dax (Terri Farrel) was about at the limit of 'acceptable hotness', but she was still safe. Seven on Voyager and T'Pol on Enterprise most certainly crossed the line. *sigh*

I swear this is on topic, I am getting to that bit

So one day I asked him why he never watched Stargate. His answer was basically that he believed the leggy blonde was too hot for sci-fi and so he never watched the show.

This really surprised me. I mean, I know that AT is gorgeous, but I always saw her as an unconventional, approachable beauty and certainly more than just a pair of legs and a rack for the teenage boy's oogling enjoyment. She's not that 'too perfect' beauty that makes you roll your eyes at the obvious agenda of TPTB.

She's just too much of a goof-ball to be anything but approachable. I guess I am just fascinated by how a non-fan viewed her.

Am I making any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            Well said. While I would still aesthetically appreciate her looks and recognize her talent even if she were full of herself, I doubt I'd call myself a fan. It was learning about what a kind, generous and *real* person she is on top of her talent & looks, that turned me into an Amanda Tapping "fangurl."
            Now, I'm sure she's no saint. She probably yells at her husband for leaving his dirty socks on the floor and has p**** moments like the rest of us, but she really seems fundamentally to be a decent person.
            /gush
            Very nicely put! And I agree!

* Smilie by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Mary-Jane View Post
              - as you age they really don't have anywhere to go (gravitational force wise)
              I don't even want to discuss gravity. What used to point out now points down hehehehe.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                A friend an I have had a conversation about the acceptable level of 'hotness' in SciFi (specifically Star Trek). It is our belief that a girl has to be 'approachable' pretty, otherwise you start alienating the intelligent fans of sci fi because the belief goes towards "TPTB are just trying to boost their ratings with T&A"

Following me here?

Good.

We concluded that the girls on Star Trek: The Next Generation were within the acceptable range - very pretty, but not to the point of becoming unapproachable (i.e. 'girl next door pretty'). On DS9, Jadzia Dax (Terri Farrel) was about at the limit of 'acceptable hotness', but she was still safe. Seven on Voyager and T'Pol on Enterprise most certainly crossed the line. *sigh*

So one day I asked him why he never watched Stargate. His answer was basically that he believed the leggy blonde was too hot for sci-fi and so he never watched the show.

This really surprised me. I mean, I know that AT is gorgeous, but I always saw her as an unconventional, approachable beauty and certainly more than just a pair of legs and a rack for the teenage boy's oogling enjoyment. She's not that 'too perfect' beauty that makes you roll your eyes at the obvious agenda of TPTB.

She's just too much of a goof-ball to be anything but approachable. I guess I am just fascinated by how a non-fan viewed her.

Am I making any sense?
                You are definitely making sense, but that surprises me too. I think AT is "real life" gorgeous...like the girl next door. And TPTB didn't flaunt her body the way ST flaunted Jeri Ryan's.

I never really thought Jolene Blalock (T'pol) crossed the line. Yes, she wore a figure-fitting suit, but she had those pointed ears! Now that you've mentioned it, I guess I can see it. It just never occurred to me before.

Interesting topic.

Comment

Am I making any sense?
                  Yes you are! Wow am surprised too in a way. Hahah "too hot for sci-fi"? No way.

To ask a dumb question, what does TPTB mean? is it the producers?
                  sigpic

Comment

the
                    powers
                    that
                    be

IE: general folks that make the show
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      the
                      powers
                      that
                      be

IE: general folks that make the show
                      Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh right.

Thanks!
                      sigpic

Comment

A friend an I have had a conversation about the acceptable level of 'hotness' in SciFi (specifically Star Trek). It is our belief that a girl has to be 'approachable' pretty, otherwise you start alienating the intelligent fans of sci fi because the belief goes towards "TPTB are just trying to boost their ratings with T&A"....
                        Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                        You are definitely making sense, but that surprises me too. I think AT is "real life" gorgeous...like the girl next door. And TPTB didn't flaunt her body the way ST flaunted Jeri Ryan's.
                        "Too hot" even in BDUs? Makes me think of AT's comment on one of those pre-season specials--reading online comments "Sam is hot!" She sounded so surprised and pleased.

Don't get me started on 7 of 9. A catsuit & high heels are so practical in a battle situation.

Comment

Following me here?

Good.

Am I making any sense?
                          Very good theory, and it makes sense now that I think about it, and I agree on AT. When I first started watching Stargate, I didn't even think of her as the "pretty" one or whatever. She was just the character, and it wasn't until Point of View with the long hair that I suddenly realized "God, this woman is gorgeous!" And then I realized that she had always been very pretty, just not in the way that calls your attention to it by screaming "HOLLYWOOD MODEL!!!"

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                          ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            "Too hot" even in BDUs? Makes me think of AT's comment on one of those pre-season specials--reading online comments "Sam is hot!" She sounded so surprised and pleased.

Don't get me started on 7 of 9. A catsuit & high heels are so practical in a battle situation.
                            Oh, yes! I always wear my form-fitting body suit and my highest stillettos when I'm planning to go into battle. * snorts --like I own either one *

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                              We all have our moments.

There are definitely those in entertainment whom I respect as performers, but have no real respect for them as a person due to what is said of their "real" personalities. Of course, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt to an extent, as I've never personally met them.

I must say that everyone I've met from SG has been wonderful.
                              I agree. I probably haven't met many compared to some fans. But I first went to Shore Leave in 2006 specifically to meet Amanda...and she was wonderful! Corin and Carmen were both there, and got rave reviews from everyone too.

Last year, I got to meet Colin Cunningham, and he was simply a hoot! He insisted on having his picture made with me--and with several others too! And Gary Jones was also very nice, and I had been told he was aloof.

So when I get to Gatecon this summer and get to meet RDA...well, I'm just hoping for an antoa experience. I just hope I don't do this:

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                                Oh, yes! I always wear my form-fitting body suit and my highest stillettos when I'm planning to go into battle. * snorts --like I own either one *
                                i dunno....me in spandex could very well be the battle clencher.....one look and the enemy runs
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X