Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fundraising

Pengyn is doing the "Race For Life" this year. I was thinking about doing one next month and I probably will. It's a 5k course that women can jog, walk or run in order to raise money for cancer research uk. It's a great way for uk based Samandans to raise money.

I don't know if there's a US equivalent?
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

Pengyn is doing the "Race For Life" this year. I was thinking about doing one next month and I probably will. It's a 5k course that women can jog, walk or run in order to raise money for cancer research uk. It's a great way for uk based Samandans to raise money.

In the US there is the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
        There's also the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.

I remember participating in it like 10 years ago when I lived in the DC area. The event was held at a high school track and, if I recall correctly, you raised money either based on how long you were out there or how many laps you did.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          I read her post on LJ last night and she basically told everyone goodbye and..i still tear up thinking about it.
          When I first read her post I was teary. Then I had to read it again this morning when she replied to my comment, and I started again. I think it's something special to have been on this thread these past few weeks. I don't know if it makes sense, but I feel closer to everyone as a group now, even more so than before. Deejay has done something very special here and I'm glad we've had this time to celebrate her, and swop stories, and send our support. My hugs and prayers go out to her and her family in this time.

(((Deejay)))
          (((Samanda)))
          sigpic

Comment

(((((DEEJAY)))))
            Thanks for the cross post Sky

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
            Thank you for posting as it would have been a while before I saw it otherwise.

Isn't it incredible how much you can care about people you've never actually met?
            Isnt it Just, Some people dont understand how much you can come to love someone youve never met, but its true, I Love all you Guys Like family <3

Me too. I'm touched that she took the time and effort, and I know it was a true effort, to answer those of us she could.

deejay435.livejournal.com
            Thanks for the link

Happy Birthday Über
            sigpic

Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Comment

There is an event called Relay for Life. I don't know if it is an event held throughout the US or not. I do know that it is held in towns across Wisconsin and just starting out in Illinois. I've participated in it as cancer has touched my family as well. You merely pledge to walk a certain length of time, usually on teams. The money raised goes toward cancer research. In our town it is a big event with teams from the schools, businesses, the local hospitals, orgainizations, neighborhoods, etc. all walking around a path to raise money for cancer research. People buy luminaries (paper bags with votive candles inside) for cancer survivors and those who did not survivor. The luminaries are lit and placed all along the walking path. At dusk the luminaries are lit and the names of all the people are read. In addition to the reading of the names the luminaries have the names of the people written on them. It is quite a moving experience. The beginning of the event starts with all the survivors and their caregivers walking first around the path to the thunderous applause of all the participates. Since this is a small town a lot of people know each other. The Relay for Life begins around 6 at night and continues throughout the night until around noon, the next day. It is quite profound to walk at 3 in the morning following the light of the luminaries. I believe our town raised nearly $200,000 for cancer research.

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                When I first read her post I was teary. Then I had to read it again this morning when she replied to my comment, and I started again. I think it's something special to have been on this thread these past few weeks. I don't know if it makes sense, but I feel closer to everyone as a group now, even more so than before. Deejay has done something very special here and I'm glad we've had this time to celebrate her, and swop stories, and send our support. My hugs and prayers go out to her and her family in this time.

(((Deejay)))
                (((Samanda)))
                I think that's beautifully put. Just wanted to share this poem with everybody, it was written by British comedian Joyce Grenfell, who was also a very spiritual woman.

"If I should go before the rest of you,
                Break not a flower, nor inscribe a stone,
                Nor, when I am gone, speak in a 'Sunday' voice,
                But be the usual selves that I have known.

Weep if you must, parting is hell,
                But life goes on -- so sing as well."

It seemed so appropriate for the mood of the thread today. I'm sure Deejay would want us to be the "usual selves" that she has known.

((((DEEJAY))))
                "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage," William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Comment

Thats beautiful Wibbling......right what shall we sing......Sing Along?????
                  sigpic

Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Comment

There's a tag on some folks' sigs (Mandy, Suse and Oober come to mind) that reads "Deejay's Angels." There should be some news soon about how we can help.
                    That's right...scifithinker...in the upcoming days and weeks, more information on how people can help will be forthcoming so stay tuned!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Isn't it incredible how much you can care about people you've never actually met?
                      Indeed it is Scifithinker. I still pray for DJ, not that I pray a lot for other peeps, OK for Amanda and her family and me (and in the past for good grades ). But We're Samandans, we're one big family.

Is it true? Did DJ had a phone call from AMANDA? (I am catching up pages so I'll have to go a few pages earlier ) That shows how Amanda really is: caring for people she maybe never met at all. OK I admit it, that what makes her HER, or Angel wise and me, just human.

Will post again when I'm done with skipping pages. So see ya in a few posts

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

I ALMOST forgot (luckily I'm reading through the pages)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ÜBER

Comment

Originally posted by Edb View Post
                          There is an event called Relay for Life. I don't know if it is an event held throughout the US or not. I do know that it is held in towns across Wisconsin and just starting out in Illinois. I've participated in it as cancer has touched my family as well. You merely pledge to walk a certain length of time, usually on teams. The money raised goes toward cancer research. In our town it is a big event with teams from the schools, businesses, the local hospitals, orgainizations, neighborhoods, etc. all walking around a path to raise money for cancer research. People buy luminaries (paper bags with votive candles inside) for cancer survivors and those who did not survivor. The luminaries are lit and placed all along the walking path. At dusk the luminaries are lit and the names of all the people are read. In addition to the reading of the names the luminaries have the names of the people written on them. It is quite a moving experience. The beginning of the event starts with all the survivors and their caregivers walking first around the path to the thunderous applause of all the participates. Since this is a small town a lot of people know each other. The Relay for Life begins around 6 at night and continues throughout the night until around noon, the next day. It is quite profound to walk at 3 in the morning following the light of the luminaries. I believe our town raised nearly $200,000 for cancer research.
                          We have it here too. Here is Deejay's one from the event I ran in earlier in the year:

When I sent the photo, Deej said it gave her happy tears at a time when most of them were unhappy ones.

(((((Deej)))))
                          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Maybe RC'tje can help

In Belgium - I heard from 15 June - somewhere in September there is an action : shave against cancer. Apperently the branches of the "bush" taxus gives off elements, ingredients,...? (baccatine) people use in medecines against cancer.

The waste of yours shaven taxus plants you have to donate in your "container park" (park where you seperate your waste, bottles, baking oil, carboard, batteries, plastics?) those branches will be used for those medecines and I think the money the waste is worth will go to anti cancer organisations. I got this info from Radio and a city info paper (Eeklo) so I don't know how your comunity center will do it or if they participate. But I *think * It's a global Flemish iniative.

I can't help cause I don't have taxus bushes, but my uncle donates to an anti cancer fund, maybe I can ask him to contribute a bit of my money into it. (I'll find a way how he can do it). If I see him again I'll ask him OK.

Spoiler:
                            I could be wrong (forgive me if that is the case) but DJ was suffering from cancer I heard.
                            I hope I can do something with this ''strange" news bulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                              We have it here too. Here is Deejay's one from the event I ran in earlier in the year:

When I sent the photo, Deej said it gave her happy tears at a time when most of them were unhappy ones.

(((((Deej)))))
                              Thanks for showing the luminary. Yours was perfect for her. Way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by atfan View Post
                                Maybe the Samamanda's could do something that would benefit not only Deejay but the countless others with cancer a fundraiser possibly even get Amanda involved, a tribute to Deejay? Donate the money to Cancer research?
                                Several fundraising events have been listed in the last couple of pages. But, if there isn't an event in your area, be a leader and start one.

Starting an event isn't like learning astrophysics nor does it require any money. It just takes a desire to help people like Deejay, some of your time, and a whole lot of enthusiasm.

Thanks for all you've done, Deejay.

Comment

Working...
                                X