No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eve and JanSam, I just wanted to congratulate you on your collaboration vid. I enjoyed it tremendously I know I'm late, but you know me and my need for... sleep
    sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by the dancer of spaz
      But I'm not familiar with the Buffy and Xena fandom... Were the producers and writers mainly male?

I only one that I have any knowledge about is Buffy. There were a mixture of women and male writers who where also Excutive producers as well.
      There was Jane Espenson (both), Marti Noxon (both).

But the rest of the women who were writers Rebecca Kirshner and Tracey Forbes wrote 8 or less scripts for the show. Here's a link from imdb regarding the full cast and crew.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118276/fullcredits

There is also one show that comes to mind that really isn't noted, except by fans, is Charmed. This show as of January 2006, this became the longest running TV-series with female leads on television.
      Last edited by LaCroix; 05 February 2007, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
        That's very true. Which is why organizations such as Women in Film and Television, etc., are so important to help women find the breaks they need, network with the "right" people and get a foot in. The EI, like so many other industries, is still struggling out of a boys club mentality. The problem we face now is largely a sense of complacency from a lot of women, in fact, because things are getting better, it's easy to assume that the hard work is done and someone else will be there to keep the inroads open. What happens then is that those inroads begin to close up again. There's a fine line between militant left-wing(ism) and a continual movement towards equality in all walks of feminism. But at the end of the day, I think what's important for most of us to remember was that the movement itself (in any industry or in any subtext you might choose) did not begin as an anti-male platform as it so often is decried now-a-days, rather as a means towards balance and equity for women - most notably within professional capacities. For most of us who have to lobby and/or struggle past the indomitable status quo for every job we secure on a continual basis, there is no hidden agenda beyond that simple truth.
        I'm in the not-so pleasant position of not only being a young writer with sci-fi ideas, but trying to convince people that I'm a serious writer for this genre in TV and film whilst still being ridiculously girly in appearance (I love my skirts and heels ). The reaction I get every time I talk about the subject is that of absolute disbelief. Younger male writers treat me with respect and love to get my opinion on science fiction because I'm able to bridge the gap between the male and the female viewpoints and try very hard to appeal to a young, liberal and smart. Unfortunately, I know even before I dare try to get work that men (and also women) who are not part of the 'Joss generation' simply won't give me the time of day because they can't define me. I can't be the only one, and it's very depressing.
        (Feel like posting more cute Sam+team interaction moments but have nothing save season 6 bits-looks around thread hopefully...)
        sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

i think csi is a bit of an exception to the rule in way of writers and producers, infact the females there have a major sing in the way things are done there.

Being in acting, the problem with films tv and plays is that the roles are pre written for males generally. Look at our own stargate....1 main cast female (ok now there is 2 but for the first 9 years....) I often think i would have better chance making it as an actor if i was a male. However this just strengthens my resolve to make it and prove them wrong

Live for today, for one day there will not be a tomorrow

Help me get to film school

One Year, £8000 to raise. Just what will i do to raise it?

Comment

Bringing it back to AT a little bit, I do wonder if she's the only female producer on the series.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
              I only one that I have any knowledge about is Buffy. There were a mixture of women and male writers who where also Excutive producers as well. There was Jane Espenson (both), Marti Noxon (both).

But the rest of the women who were writers Rebecca Kirshner and Tracey Forbes wrote 8 or less scripts for the show.
              I believe Ahsley Gable is also a woman.

I'm uncertain, but it seems to me you're discounting the relevance of Kirshner and Forbes. That writer-producer list is exceptional. (And, yes, Marti Noxious did, in fact, suck as a showrunner, but that's a whole other story.)

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              Bringing it back to AT a little bit, I do wonder if she's the only female producer on the series.
              Perhaps, but again, the effect of just one female executive is large.

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                (Feel like posting more cute Sam+team interaction moments but have nothing save season 6 bits-looks around thread hopefully...)
                Season 6 works for me...

Comment

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Woops, I almost forgot

So, before I leave for uni : HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY !!
                    sigpic

Comment

OK, I capitulate. Season 6 it is then...

Another favourite moment:

I loved the relationship between the two of them. Sam finally had someone on the team that she could not only relate to professionally, but also have a great friendship with. It was so important for her, and something that was sorely missing afterwards.

Wonder 'triplets' :

And the ep that sold her as leader, Teal'c and Jonas as real characters and had such fun with all three:

Caped crusaders (OK, trenchcoats...)
                      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Originally Posted by DEM
                        I believe Ahsley Gable is also a woman.

I'm uncertain, but it seems to me you're discounting the relevance of Kirshner and Forbes. That writer-producer list is exceptional. (And, yes, Marti Noxious did, in fact, suck as a showrunner, but that's a whole other story.)

Sorry, forgot about AG.

As to RRK, I did enjoy the episodes that she wrote and the ones she was either a Story Editor/Executive Story Editor. As well as TF. And yes the W/P is/was exceptional. I was trying to answer dancers question with the knowledge that I or another site had.

And yes Toxy Noxy is completely another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM View Post
                          Perhaps, but again, the effect of just one female executive is large.
                          Absolutley. Or... at least it has the potential to be.

Comment

I still believe that just one woman (assuming she'd been competant) in the SG inner circle would have prevented a good bit of the "who should lead" debacle and countered some of the "we don't know what to do with Sam" dilemma.

And it totally sticks in my craw that advertisers focus on the almighty "young men" demographic when research has shown that women control more spending, even if they aren't earning it themselves. (Don't get me started on that one.)

If nothing else, I think more women in power in the industry would lead to more character development. Which, despite popular (male) belief, is actually a good thing in episodic television.
                            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                            May we all be so well loved.

Comment

And yet, scifithinker, it's a woman in charge of scifi, despite many of the character to action driven plot changes instigated by the network.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                                And yet, scifithinker, it's a woman in charge of scifi, despite many of the character to action driven plot changes instigated by the network.
                                Unfortunately, being female doesn't automatically mean that a person is smart or far-seeing, traits that I would not necessarily associate with anybody at Sci-Fi at the moment.

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X