Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deejay435
    I never saw that, does anyone know if it is downloadable anywhere?
    A certain Dark Agent we all know and (sometimes) love would be the best person to ask about such matters.

Comment

I just have to put in my two cents about S/J ship. I love the independent, intelligent, strong and savvy Sam Carter. But does having the love of another person (Jack, of course) have to diminish her? I would guess only if you were to think that your own significant other diminishes who you are. And I don't think anyone believes that!
      In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
      so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
      Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
      Hic Comitas Regit
      Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
      Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

I don't think so... it's humanizing and a touch of realism for me in a lot of ways. Although in hindisight I agree with AT's comments and I'm glad it wasn't done while they were in the same command. That would have diminished their integrity as officers I think.

AT seems to be at peace with the concept now which is nice... I can't wait to see what we're gonna get... and the behind the scenes stuff

Originally posted by LadyJeep
        I just have to put in my two cents about S/J ship. I love the independent, intelligent, strong and savvy Sam Carter. But does having the love of another person (Jack, of course) have to diminish her? I would guess only if you were to think that your own significant other diminishes who you are. And I don't think anyone believes that!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
          I don't think so... it's humanizing and a touch of realism for me in a lot of ways. Although in hindisight I agree with AT's comments and I'm glad it wasn't done while they were in the same command. That would have diminished their integrity as officers I think.

AT seems to be at peace with the concept now which is nice... I can't wait to see what we're gonna get... and the behind the scenes stuff
          I agree with you about waiting until they weren't in the same command.
          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
          Hic Comitas Regit
          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            This shipper won't be throwing anything at ya! Like other shippers here I think, I'm opposed to absolutely any mention of S/J ship, if it means that that's all we're going to see of Sam in any given ep. I'd take some expert P-90 wielding or sun exploding over a cheesy, OTT smooch or proposal any day. [snip]

You bring up a great point about ratings, Coley. With the way they've acted as if (a) there isn't a significant amount of viewers who are shippers (as there're a significant amount of viewers who aren't, or who don't give a fig either way, of course ) and (b) Jack fell into a deep, dark hole, it's rather ironic to see them push it so hard all of a sudden.

While I'd think the line-up for Stargate Mondays is settled upon months in advance, there's probably always going to be room for last minute changes. And it would appear as if the interviews were done less than a month or so ago. If it really is their intention to suggest to the shippers/RDA fans out there that there's still something worth watching, it may do the trick in keeping them on board. Will it counteract the lower-than-expected ratings? I don't think so.

For me, a shipper, an RDA fan, a fan of Soldier!Scientist!Sam, and a fan of the T.E.A.M., however, they've gotta do better than that. Rather than not-so-subtlely hinting at what's possible with a suggested "five-letter answer" to our questions, they really need to show that they can handle the ship they created, without deconstructing a character with whom "they don't know what to do,"
            Wow! Such great and wonderful posts! I haven't had a chance to read but a sprinkling of them, but - thanks for some great reading Dancer, and Coley, and ShimmeringStar, and Skydiver, and everyone else who has posted.

It's so wonderful to see the continued support for the hope that Carter will be written as the capable, competent, wonderful heroic character that we all want to see for leading women on TV.

Note: I also apologize if any of my fonts above appear to be screaming -- I'm using a new laptop (replacing the one that recently died a slow death), and I haven't gotten used to the new screen size settings (letterbox and all that).

Comment

I agree with you about waiting until they weren't in the same command.
              And... I think I missed something... Can anyone explain when/where Carter and O'Neill end up outside of the same chain of command? Has it been said in an episode or a spoiler yet? Does Jack retire and become an Ambassador? Or does Sam retire from the Air Force and just focus on being a scientist? Is this how they ultimately deal with not having to worry about having Sam in command of SG-1, thereby making it easy to just have Mitchell in command without the two Lt. Colonels on the same team? Hmmm... I've definitely been away too long....

Comment

Coz Amanda said and I figure she knows what she's sayin

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                And... I think I missed something... Can anyone explain when/where Carter and O'Neill end up outside of the same chain of command? Has it been said in an episode or a spoiler yet? Does Jack retire and become an Ambassador? Or does Sam retire from the Air Force and just focus on being a scientist? Is this how they ultimately deal with not having to worry about having Sam in command of SG-1, thereby making it easy to just have Mitchell in command without the two Lt. Colonels on the same team? Hmmm... I've definitely been away too long....
                sigpic

Comment

Please do not get me wrong when I say I'm afraid the ship will diminish the strong character we have been seeing thus far this season. This is not to say that I believe that being in a loving relationship diminishes one's character. Personally, I think I'm a much better person thanks to my husband. I think what most of us are saying is we do not believe that the writers of Stargate are capable of writing Sam in a relationship without making her appear as insecure and angst ridden, and many of us are really tired of seeing this aspect of Sam. Granted there are some who do not wish to see Sam with Jack at all, but for me if I thought the writers could write S&J together without writing her completely out of character like they did in certain scenes of season 7 & 8, then I would probably be more gung-ho about the whole S&J push which seems to be approaching.

Unfortunately, my fear is that the writers have more up their sleeve than they are willing to share and while they may say that we will see some sort of resolution between Sam & Jack in season 10, I have a really bad feeling that it's not going to be the end that many people, especially shippers, want. My reason being, for ten years the writers have said that they won't put Sam and Jack together until the end of the series. Even when RDA left, they choose not to make it official. So one has to ask oneself why after an entire year of no mention of Jack, especially by Sam, why would they suddenly decide to push them together unless it's going to end in a shocking way. My biggest fear is that in bringing Jack back and by allowing Sam & Jack to finally get together they are setting us all up for a huge fall that will include saying goodbye to Jack and/or Sam in a big way.

Granted these are only speculations and I have nothing in which to prove these theories, but I have never known the writers to really give the fans exactly what they have wanted. They may give us a nibble, or a tease, but there is always a twist that comes with it. I just hope that Sam doesn't end up being a part of that twist.
                  Last edited by ForeverSg1; 04 April 2006, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                    Not to take this down the sugary, slopelike path of 24/7 ship talk, but...

If RDA/Jack were still on the show on a regular basis, I'd totally agree with ya, Mandy. The whole point of UST with two characters is to have that angst - which AT and RDA played so well when they were given carte blanche of a scene - and you can't have angst, if Jack's calling Sam's lab asking her what's for dinner, or... whatever. That's for fic anyway.

But, because RDA/Jack are not going to be on the show on a regular basis, and because the current team dynamic won't be affected by how Jack and Sam interact or supposedly interact in S10, I don't see a reason for them NOT to resolve it - or at least to say that it's been resolved in some way.

As Sky said, this is probably going to be the last season that it'll be an issue. And if they're reinforcing Sam's "lover" side with her soldier/scientist/take-charge side next season, then I don't think I'll see it as an issue.

But if they're going to devolve into Utter Crapdom, then I could really leave the ship for the people who know how to handle it. The fans.

That's right, AD and Lys: The FIC-WRITING SHIPPERS.
                    Ahem. Non shipper speaking here.
                    I don't mind a little ship thrown at me in episodes as long as it's not at the detriment of Sam's character. In my opinion, ship is at his best when TPTB give us small glimpses of it and not when they devote a whole episode to the ship. Full ship destroys Scientist!Sam and Soldier!Sam. But it's not true the otbher way. Scientist or soldier Sam can be a little flirty or angsty. I'm thrilled RDA comes back next year, but let's remember it's not full time screen, only a few episodes and I don't want to see both characters wasted on the altar of ship because it's not what Stargate is about. Whatever they choose to do, UST or RST, I'd rather see it mentionned in a single scene or even in few lines in an episode and have the remaining time devoted to the team. I'd especially love to see Jack interact with the new characters. It would be a nice way to integrate them fully into the group.

And spaz, my dear spaz, some fic-writers shippers are as bad as TPTB when they lure us into a good team adventure and suddenly forget half of said team to write Jack giving serenade to Sam in a Goa'uld holding cell or in the middle of a battle.
                    Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      well, i just deleted the posts, since yes, personal issues have no place here.

take it up with the folks that you have an issue with in private message or put that person on ignore
                      okay, now i'm getting it.

sorry.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        It was one of the first episodes where I really started to see what a great actress Amanda is. When Sam gets so frustrated at her inability to fix the DHD... I could just feel it. She reacted in a very believable -and feminine- way. You know, men get frustrated and angry, and they curse, swear, and hit things. Women get angry and frustrated, and they may do all of that, but they also fight tears. Amanda played it perfectly.
                        i soooo agree with all of this!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Forgive me if I'm saying someting stupid, but I've been thinking of "ship" theme of the last Monday marathon. It seems that most of you think it's a hint at what to expect in season 10 with the whole Jack coming back thing. But, what if next week or later they serve you Need, The Other Side, Scortched Earth and Abyss with the up and downs of Jack and Daniel's friendship ? The slashers will be happy ? Will you change your mind about Jack's interest next season ?
                          What I'm trying to figure out is how do we know for sure that this is what TPTB want to tell us.
                          And what about Thor's Hammer, Holiday, Tangent and Exodus ? It gives a lot more meaning to CJ's assumption about Jack and Teal'c.
                          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

i actually have to run off to bed; i have a test in the morning, but I'm just wondering if other people are having problems with amandatapping.com

good night all!

Thank you for 10 years of Sam Carter, Amanda Tapping!
                            My LJ "I Live in a Sci-Fi World"
                            My Stargate (Mostly Sam Carter) Icons
                            My Stargate Videos
                            It's meant to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              Forgive me if I'm saying someting stupid, but I've been thinking of "ship" theme of the last Monday marathon. It seems that most of you think it's a hint at what to expect in season 10 with the whole Jack coming back thing. But, what if next week or later they serve you Need, The Other Side, Scortched Earth and Abyss with the up and downs of Jack and Daniel's friendship ? The slashers will be happy ? Will you change your mind about Jack's interest next season ?
                              What I'm trying to figure out is how do we know for sure that this is what TPTB want to tell us.
                              And what about Thor's Hammer, Holiday, Tangent and Exodus ? It gives a lot more meaning to CJ's assumption about Jack and Teal'c.
                              I think it has something to do with the fact that they started off every interview discussing the S/J romantic ship angle. They didn't say Sam/Jack friendship, and the Jack/Teal'c friendship, while an awesome theme, has not been even an eighth as controversial as the S/J ship. I dunno if that makes any sense. They've never, ever addressed the Jack/Daniel slash - or any kind, for that matter - on the network (like in their behind-the-scenes deals), for one thing, probably because it seems to make the actors uncomfortable. The friendship has been addressed, of course, but that's as far as the network will ever take it. And they'll clearly address it as such, I'd bet.

Considering they deliberately talked about Sam/Jack ship, and have been pimping up how often Richard Dean Anderson will be coming back, AND had various actors comment on it in some capacity... The timing is too perfect, I guess.

Comment

Maybe they are going to have Sam kill Jack...

Okay maybe not. But I fear when UST becomes RST... IT rarely ever works.
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X