Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
    yeah. that and some other reasons have me reading more fanfic then watching the show on friday night. tonight is the first time I watched the rerun.
    I haven't watched a rerun all season. And I was not about to watch that scene again.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
      I haven't watched a rerun all season. And I was not about to watch that scene again.
      Yes I went to get a snack from the kitchen during that scene. so okay you got me there I didn't watch the entire rerun.

Comment

Yes I went to get a snack from the kitchen during that scene. so okay you got me there I didn't watch the entire rerun.
        I knew it! I just changed the channel to "What Not to Wear" for a bit and then turned the tv off entirely.

Speaking of which, I need to try and sleep. Dreaming of of course!

Take that Joe!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          I teach debating on tuesday nights. At first I was gutted and tried my damndest to get it rescheduled. Over time, it's just like "so what? I'll see it in a few months." A few months? But that's what it's come to. I don't care anymore. I rescheduled for Ripple Effect, but I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it.
          I think it's worth seeing. I have not liked the majority of the stuff that has aired on Friday night SciFi and I really enjoyed this episode with a few hang ups. It's not the original SG-1 that had me glued in front of the TV for 8 seasons, but it is MHO the best episode of s9. Science Sam is back in this episode!! Some touching scenes
          Spoiler:
          janet, teal'c and daniel
          and some not so touching scenes.

Comment

So I was thinking during tonight's ep.- what happened to Sam and Daniel's relationship? Since she came back from Area 51, their brother/sister thing has totally flown out the window. No more talking, no more brainstorming- nothing. Is it just me??
            Oh, also- I posted in the section about the ep., but did anyone else realize the Jack-look that Sam had towards the end? She was explaining how all the AU teams were going to get back, and Landry cut her off, and she totally just zipped her lip and scrunched her eyebrows, and it was SO cute and Jack-like, it made up for the almost Sam/Martouf kiss. (Well, 1/2 way made up...)
            And didn't Joe Mallozzi say that Sam fans were gonna love S9??? So far, this was my first Sam ep.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
              Yes, hence the Samandan outing, to go and break PDL's knees.
              Doh! I said kick em in the shins. I didn't say anything about breaking anyone's knees. Dang, here I was just hoping for a few bruises and you are talking about broken bones. *shiver* Down girl.

Comment

Geez, so much intolerance! TPTB deliver their best episode since Zero Hour and what do I find, upon returning after a long absence? People talking about kneecapping Peter DeLuise? For shame. It's a fracking TV show, fer cryin' out loud. Besides, with 14 AU Carters, if one of them wants to shack up with Mitchell, what's the harm? (Not to mention that Browder & Tapping play wonderfully well together, on a completely different wavelength than the RDA/AT polarity.) At least two of the others are either getting married to or knocked up by Jack O'Neill. As for the other 11 ... who knows?
                This Jack/Sam ship obsession gets way, way out of hand sometimes. If people see SG-1 as The Jack/Sam Shippy Show, culminating in wedding bells & babies, w/ maybe a little science fiction around the edges, I'd rather just avoid discussing it.

I thought it was awfully nice to see Martouf again, especially since he got bumped off in S4 as a means of clearing the way for TPTB to push Jack/Sam. JR Bourne & Amanda Tapping are electric together and seeing them in Ripple Effect made me all the more regretful that the Sam/Martouf storyline wasn't allowed to play out but was, in effect, aborted in mid-course.

Not enough Janet, I agree, although I've never experienced such a thing as too much Janet. But we definitely got shortchanged on the famous TR/AT chemistry by keeping the characters apart until the end. The characters might have been kept apart for fear of giving any hope to the Sam/Janet slashers. Since both characters have become significant gay icons, I wouldn't put that thinking past Robert C. Cooper, especially since he gets all squicky about men expressing affection to one another (which had deleterious effects on the development of the Jack/Daniel friendship).
                The Daniel/Janet moments were quite affecting—in no small part b/c that relationship was always kept rather understated, characterized by an unremarked tenderness that got the message across. But I thought Teal'c's homage to Janet as she departed, when they honored each other as fellow warriors (her battle, of course, being against the plague) was the emotional socko moment of the hour. The Martouf storyline was more decisively tied off, but if JR Bourne finds his way back to the SGC in the future, you won't hear me complaining.
                More than a mention or two of Jacob would have been nice, but Carmen Argenziano may have been unavailable for all we know. The IMDb mooted a Hammond appearance in this episode, but that appears to have been a false alarm.
                But, hey ... finally a Sam-centric episode (and, no, looking fretful for long stretches of FH 1& 2 doesn't count, not in my book), long on both charm & technobabble from our heroine. And 15 Carters? As Jack would say, "If only!"

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                  Geez, so much intolerance! TPTB deliver their best episode since Zero Hour and what do I find, upon returning after a long absence? People talking about kneecapping Peter DeLuise? For shame. It's a fracking TV show, fer cryin' out loud. Besides, with 14 AU Carters, if one of them wants to shack up with Mitchell, what's the harm? (Not to mention that Browder & Tapping play wonderfully well together, on a completely different wavelength than the RDA/AT polarity.) At least two of the others are either getting married to or knocked up by Jack O'Neill. As for the other 11 ... who knows?
                  This Jack/Sam ship obsession gets way, way out of hand sometimes. If people see SG-1 as The Jack/Sam Shippy Show, culminating in wedding bells & babies, w/ maybe a little science fiction around the edges, I'd rather just avoid discussing it.

Spoiler:
                  I thought it was awfully nice to see Martouf again, especially since he got bumped off in S4 as a means of clearing the way for TPTB to push Jack/Sam. JR Bourne & Amanda Tapping are electric together and seeing them in Ripple Effect made me all the more regretful that the Sam/Martouf storyline wasn't allowed to play out but was, in effect, aborted in mid-course.

Not enough Janet, I agree, although I've never experienced such a thing as too much Janet. But we definitely got shortchanged on the famous TR/AT chemistry by keeping the characters apart until the end. The characters might have been kept apart for fear of giving any hope to the Sam/Janet slashers. Since both characters have become significant gay icons, I wouldn't put that thinking past Robert C. Cooper, especially since he gets all squicky about men expressing affection to one another (which had deleterious effects on the development of the Jack/Daniel friendship).
                  The Daniel/Janet moments were quite affecting—in no small part b/c that relationship was always kept rather understated, characterized by an unremarked tenderness that got the message across. But I thought Teal'c's homage to Janet as she departed, when they honored each other as fellow warriors (her battle, of course, being against the plague) was the emotional socko moment of the hour. The Martouf storyline was more decisively tied off, but if JR Bourne finds his way back to the SGC in the future, you won't hear me complaining.
                  More than a mention or two of Jacob would have been nice, but Carmen Argenziano may have been unavailable for all we know. The IMDb mooted a Hammond appearance in this episode, but that appears to have been a false alarm.
                  But, hey ... finally a Sam-centric episode (and, no, looking fretful for long stretches of FH 1& 2 doesn't count, not in my book), long on both charm & technobabble from our heroine. And 15 Carters? As Jack would say, "If only!"

I agree with you, Carterslave. This episode is easily the best episode of the season, IMO, and it is the first Sam-centric episode of the season. There are so many good Sam moments.

I'm a little surprised at where the discussion went on this thread. I do understand that some Sam/Jack shippers are upset--I'm not negating your reaction--but there is so much more than the one scene everyone is talking about. I guess I didn't expect this direction on the SaCG thread, given there are shippers and non-shippers alike. Don't get me wrong--I want people to express their thoughts. I'm just surprised that this is such a focus.

Spoiler:
                  There are so many great Sam scenes with, for example, Dr. Lee, the Asgard, and herself! The scene with 15 Sams was amazing. Each Sam was nuanced a little differently. AT was great in this episode, I thought. And I really did like the interaction between all the team members this time. And I agree with Carterslave--Browder and Tapping are fun to watch (no not the shippy way--I just like their interactions). And I found myself laughing quite a bit because the humor is more classic SG-1 rather than some of the humor of say the fourth episode (The Ties that Bind). I found myself really caring what was going to happen. I have to admit--hearing Sam technobabble was just a delight. This just felt like a classic SG-1 episode to me--(not like with Jack there, but still the closest we have had do far

I know some have said how much they liked it. Do others like other aspects of this episode? It seems well received thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                    Geez, so much intolerance! TPTB deliver their best episode since Zero Hour and what do I find, upon returning after a long absence? People talking about kneecapping Peter DeLuise? For shame. It's a fracking TV show, fer cryin' out loud.
                    Spoiler:
                    Besides, with 14 AU Carters, if one of them wants to shack up with Mitchell, what's the harm? (Not to mention that Browder & Tapping play wonderfully well together, on a completely different wavelength than the RDA/AT polarity.) At least two of the others are either getting married to or knocked up by Jack O'Neill. As for the other 11 ... who knows?
                    I don't think anyone is arguing about it not being the best episode of the season, just go back and look at what everyone wrote in this thread and in the episode thread.
                    Spoiler:
                    Yes we can get upset over one scene, but it didn't ruin the episode for me. And the fact that we were talking about J/S ship here in this thread just goes to show who was actually on the thread at the time (shippers who also love the Sam character). Hey if the mitchell lovers were here they would share your opinion. Or the Martouf fans. Or the nonshippers. Each have been discussed in this thread at length among the janet /sam shippers, martouf/sam shippers. I'm sure a whole other discussion will take place now. It's all in good fun. I'm sure the person that said anything negative toward PDL was in good fun. It was a great episode. I don't want to fight I have been doing that all season with tptb. I just want to enjoy this episode, like everyone mentioned last night.

Comment

I don't think anyone is arguing about it not being the best episode of the season, just go back and look at what everyone wrote in this thread and in the episode thread.
                      Spoiler:
                      Yes we can get upset over one scene, but it didn't ruin the episode for me. And the fact that we were talking about J/S ship here in this thread just goes to show who was actually on the thread at the time (shippers who also love the Sam character). Hey if the mitchell lovers were here they would share your opinion. Or the Martouf fans. Or the nonshippers. Each have been discussed in this thread at length among the janet /sam shippers, martouf/sam shippers. I'm sure a whole other discussion will take place now. It's all in good fun. I'm sure the person that said anything negative toward PDL was in good fun. It was a great episode. I don't want to fight I have been doing that all season with tptb. I just want to enjoy this episode, like everyone mentioned last night.

Good points, ann_sgcfan! This is one of the things I love about this thread--we can express our different perspectives with each other. I'm glad Carterslave did experience his/her opinion too, because it is clear that members of this thread have differing perspectives. That is what makes it interesting to me!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

Spoiler:
                        There are so many great Sam scenes with, for example, Dr. Lee, the Asgard, and herself! The scene with 15 Sams was amazing. Each Sam was nuanced a little differently. AT was great in this episode, I thought. And I really did like the interaction between all the team members this time. And I agree with Carterslave--Browder and Tapping are fun to watch (no not the shippy way--I just like their interactions). And I found myself laughing quite a bit because the humor is more classic SG-1 rather than some of the humor of say the fourth episode (The Ties that Bind). I found myself really caring what was going to happen. I have to admit--hearing Sam technobabble was just a delight. This just felt like a classic SG-1 episode to me--(not like with Jack there, but still the closest we have had do far

I know some have said how much they liked it. Do others like other aspects of this episode? It seems well received thus far.
                        I loved the fact that
                        Spoiler:
                        there were 15 different Carters at the same time in the same room. AT did a wonderful job talking to herself and making that many changes and making it feel like there were really 15 Sam's from AU!! I can't imagine how time consuming that scene must have been. I like Mitchell's comment about "finally someone that can keep up with you" or something to tht effect talking to Sam and she said "Yup!" with a smile. I loved the technobabble. I loved the fact that Sam saved the day and was very much in the middle of this episode. I reminds me of epiosdes from the past something that has been missing all season.

Comment

I loved the fact that
                          Spoiler:
                          there were 15 different Carters at the same time in the same room. AT did a wonderful job talking to herself and making that many changes and making it feel like there were really 15 Sam's from AU!! I can't imagine how time consuming that scene must have been. I like Mitchell's comment about "finally someone that can keep up with you" or something to tht effect talking to Sam and she said "Yup!" with a smile. I loved the technobabble. I loved the fact that Sam saved the day and was very much in the middle of this episode. I reminds me of epiosdes from the past something that has been missing all season.

Exactly for me too.
                          Spoiler:
                          I couldn't get over the little nuances for each Carter! I can't imagine all the work that went into this! I have really been starving for an SG-1 episode like this. It is more like it used to be (as much as it can be without Jack). I thought all the actors were spot on. It is an episode I can easily watch over because I think I missed alot. And they used the kind of humor that I really like on this show---what I think has made it successful for so long. I haven't seen this type of humor all season long until now. I loved Mitchell's comment too. And I just really liked Mitchell in this one, in general. I do think that Daniel was a bit out of character -- after looking at the deleted scenes--I wished they would have had the one where he questions his team (the Black BDU's team) about what they are doing.

It is really the first episode where Sam has alot to do, and that just felt good to see. I'm hoping for more team episodes coming up, and some serious soldierSam too!

Comment

Firstly, we're getting a little lax on our SPOILER TAGS again. Just a friendly nudge.

Secondly, I woke up this morning feeling decidedly optimistic. This episode doesn't show Sam in a bad light at all.
                            Spoiler:
                            The Sam/Martouf almost kiss was a result of Jolinar
                            and we got what we wanted.... scientist Sam. Last week / two weeks ago, we were complaining about our lack of Scientist Sam, now we're complaining too much.

The only thing that vaguely worries me is that she didn't seem to care when
                            Spoiler:
                            the AU team came through and said Selmac's alive and well.
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              Exactly for me too.
                              Spoiler:
                              I couldn't get over the little nuances for each Carter! I can't imagine all the work that went into this! I have really been starving for an SG-1 episode like this. It is more like it used to be (as much as it can be without Jack). I thought all the actors were spot on. It is an episode I can easily watch over because I think I missed alot. And they used the kind of humor that I really like on this show---what I think has made it successful for so long. I haven't seen this type of humor all season long until now. I loved Mitchell's comment too. And I just really liked Mitchell in this one, in general. I do think that Daniel was a bit out of character -- after looking at the deleted scenes--I wished they would have had the one where he questions his team (the Black BDU's team) about what they are doing.

It is really the first episode where Sam has alot to do, and that just felt good to see. I'm hoping for more team episodes coming up, and some serious soldierSam too!
                              Yeah and I think next week
                              Spoiler:
                              solider sam return!! she orders a team through the gate while mitchell is off with other matters. I'm hoping they concentrate on Teal'c and Sg-1 rescuing him and not mitchell and his buddy. next week has potential for a great team episod, but if tptb blow it then at least I have this weeks episode to remind me of SG-1 of yesteryear.

Comment

As someone who's still basically a "newbie" I have a really dumb question. Is it normal for Joe to be in the episode thread while we're posting our opinions
                                on the episode. Or was last night different, as in judging our reactions?
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X