Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Reet, well I'm fair tuckered so I'll be off, the pooch needs a Jimmy - Its a bit parky now outside though so I'll have to wrap up! Ta Ta For Now!!
    Ok. Go and give your dog some bladder relief then! And make sure you DO wrap up warm. We don't want you catching a chill.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      Reet, well I'm fair tuckered so I'll be off, the pooch needs a Jimmy - Its a bit parky now outside though so I'll have to wrap up! Ta Ta For Now!!
      Just in case it rains, take your Auntie Ella!!

And, YES, I'd be up to the challenge of three Lancastrians in one room! After all, I'd have my Oklahoma and Texan friends along (Strix and Forever Sg1) to balance out the war of the dialects!!

Comment

Coley: Well anyone who says anything bad about the actors because of the character they play is just mean and they must have lost their way somewhere along the line!!
        I have just skimmed the last page of said thread. Some things have made my heart sink a little, some things I agree with and a couple of posts - as a feminist made me spit a little. However it is an anti thread only so I refrained from posting.
        I am glad that if nothing else they seem to be avoiding mention of Amanda herself in their discussions.
        I didn't realise that it was an old thread that had been resurrected, and had wondered how three pages had appeared overnight.
        One of the things I really didn't like though was on the last page, where they were complaining about the way she cries too much. If the writers wrote seasons where she didn't cry at all, they would probably be complaining that she's a hard *****.

I get the feeling some posters have a problem with intelligent females who can excell in a number of fields. I feel quite sorry for them. Amanda is one such female she can act, she can direct and is incredibly quick witted - and she got a science award at school!
        I have never understood why people feel that either a)females aren't capable of intelligence or b)if they are, they're not normal. And I agree, Amanda herself is very intelligent, and she brings a lot of that to Sam.

However the theme that Carter is too perfect and knows way too much about too many professions I agree with. I think Sky explained a way back that it is a plot device to move the story forward, so they don't have to introduce lots of different technical experts into each episode. I can understand this. However by the end of season 6 I was getting to think Carter seemed to be expert in too many fields to be credible.

It is an inspiration in some ways I guess. It is possible to have wide ranging and varied interests and be good at all of them. BUT it is probably not realistic to expect to be expert in all of them.
        I think Sam being skilled in many fields is a plot device. In the same way that Daniel being able to speak so many languages and read so many ancient dialects is a plot device. But seriously, would we rather they confused us all by bringing in many different characters to an episode to explain everything, or would we prefer to see the main foursome solve it for themselves. That's what tv's about, it's about following a set of characters throughout a story.

The writing has let Carter down big style in season 7 and 8. I would have liked the science to have taken a back seat and to see her lead the team and become more of a soldier.

The dalliance with romance wasn't well written and in my opinion not really appropriate on a sci fi programme. I want action and adventures and great threats. Little bits of personal life would have been great. I would have rather seen SG1 interacting off base though to see the characters off duty side.

I'm not really a sam and jack shipper and thought the writers overplayed this a little - in the main winding the fans up rather than moving that arc forward. It should be resolved one way or another and let carter move on from that.
        The romance in my opinion was a bad move. Yes, it was nice to see a bit of Sam's personal life, and for her to have a little involvement with a guy, but it should have finished there. First and foremost Stargate is a scifi show, and in my opinion scifi doesn’t always go well with romance. At least, not without a good plot and some action and adventure as well.

edited: yikesy, gateworld censored my post with asterisks. Never had that happen before.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

y'all want dialects, just get me going on my southern twang

no, i'm not from the south, but i've been told that i can drawl rather impressively...and i tend to pick up teh speech patterns of places where i'm at. after gatecon a couple of years ago i could do a mean canadian thing and i still pronounce vancouver more like vancoooover
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
            I'm not a Lancastrian though, really! I'm a Midlander, I come from Nottingham. My Dad comes from Lancashire, so I grew up with a hint of his accent, but I mainly have a Nottinghamshire accent. My dialect is a mix of Nottinghamshire and Lancastrian though.

I now live in the south and have adopted a proper southern accent, much to the disgust of my family and friends.
            It's quite all right ... environment (Coley and 1speed) and heredity (Lancashire dad) will kick in and you'll rise to the occasion, I'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace

I think Sam being skilled in many fields is a plot device. In the same way that Daniel being able to speak so many languages and read so many ancient dialects is a plot device. But seriously, would we rather they confused us all by bringing in many different characters to an episode to explain everything, or would we prefer to see the main foursome solve it for themselves. That's what tv's about, it's about following a set of characters throughout a story.

exactly. it's the same as teal'c always knowing an old jaffa legend or jack being the king of tactics. they only have 4 people so they have to have those same 4 people wear different hats to move the plot along.

and also, sam's detractors also expect her to know nothing but astrophysics. well i'm no astrophysist but i've picked up a smattering of knowledge about biology, anatomy, meterology and various other topics simply by watching tv and reading. just because i'm a pro in one area doesn't mean all my knowledge is confined to that one area, it jsut means that i have a broad base to build on...the same as wtih all of them
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I admit I wandered over to the anti-Carter thread too, and was amused by the nature of some of the complaints, as usual. She’s too perfect, etc. I wonder, does anyone make those same kind of complaints about Daniel? Or Jack? Maybe it’s the feminist in me too, Coley, but I tend to be hypersensitive when the barbs are only directed at the female members of a team. I did a quick search, trying to find out if GateWorld has a history of anti-Daniel or anti-Jack or anti-Cam threads, and I didn’t find any. I know there have been anti-Vala threads and anti-Chaya threads; I think I’ve seen anti-Teyla threads, but found no threads set up to complain about the male characters. There have been a lot of complaints about Cam, but I haven’t seen an anti-Mitchell thread, or if there was one, it was a while ago. Sky, you’d know better than I would, does this seem accurate? We seem to be hardest on the women. Are they really written that poorly, or are we just willing to put up with more inconsistencies and flaws in male characters than in females?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  y'all want dialects, just get me going on my southern twang

no, i'm not from the south, but i've been told that i can drawl rather impressively...and i tend to pick up teh speech patterns of places where i'm at. after gatecon a couple of years ago i could do a mean canadian thing and i still pronounce vancouver more like vancoooover
                  Sky ... squee!!! ... forgot all about YOU!! Well, if I come, there's a piano in the lounge and I'll accompany you if you'd like to sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow in honor of your native state!

Comment

as for the anti-sam thread, i choose to believe it doesn't exist. as far as i can recall the only anti thread i've ever participated in was the anti-pete thread, and only because i was seriously PO'd that people seemed to think his behaviour in chimera was just fine and dandy. i was irked.

as for sam being perfect? so? daniel has been used to explain astrophisics theories and other theories from sams field of experties when sam was absent, and hardly anyone so much as questioned it. why can't sam know more than just where stars come from and such. she's at least as smart as the average smarty mcsmartsmart, and i happen to know for a fact that smarty knows about more than one subject. so does daniel, teal'c, jack, janet, and any other character on the show.

its established that both sam and daniel have experience in more than just one area. sam: theoretical astrophysics, quantum mechanics and so on. daniel: archaeology (probably spelt wrong), anthropology, linguistics.
                    and they have learned much more in the last 9 years through their work at the SGC.

my only problem is that as she has the memories of jolinar, how come sam can't speak goa'uld? and how come jack and teal'c seem to have forgotten how to speak latin?

anywho. i can't remember what my original point was....

Comment

When I read about all the negativity about Sam, I think back to when I started watching SG. I started with the very first episode and at first I didn't like one character over the others. I watched for the action/adventure of the show and how the team interacted with each other. Dare I say it, I liked all the characters But gradually I found myself likeing Sam's character more. She was showing growth, but without all the characters none of characters would be able to show growth. Yes her character did shine, but wouldn't be able to shine with out Jack, Daniel or Teal'c. Or visa versa.

I think the best shows showed the team interacting with each other. Even in Emancipation (which Amanda did a wonderful job on), the teams interaction was just as important as Sam fighting the tribe leader. These early shows showed how the team depended on each other, even when saving the world (I've kinda lost count now) it always took more than one character to pull it off.

So I can't see one character becoming so important without taking into account the interactions of the rest of the team.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sam is a wonderful character, but she didn't get there by herself. Nor did Jack, Daniel or Teal'c.

It's too early to include Cam and Vala in this rant
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

and on the subject of dialects, i'm from north dublin myself, but i tend to pick up accents really really really easily, so most people can't tell. i've been asked what part of the country i was from, what part of america i'm from, and am i from canada! among other places. i really hate that i pick up accents so easily too, because apparently its a sign of a weak mind or something. it depends what accent i've been listening to for the last 10 minutes to an hour, as to the strenght of my "north dublin" accent, which is rarely a strong one.

its funny too, because my grandfather lived abroad for a very large part of his life, and spoke with a strong dublin accent until the day he died. he even spoke flemish in a dublin accent.

Comment

Did anyone get any screen captures of Amanda Tapping on the Urban Rush Special? Because i've seen alot of Michael Shanks and someone told me that Amanda was on there too but i havent seen any of her as of yet???

SuSiE_SG1
                          Major Sam/Jack Shipper!

Comment

urban rush special? go on...?

Comment

Hmm? I'm from Canada and I don't think we have an accent. (Except for Quebec and certain easter provinces) And we don't say oot and aboot. The only time we say aboot is when we are looking for our other boot
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Yes, there was an Urban Rush special with the Stargate Gang, i didnt see it as i dont live anywhere near Canada. But i have got pictures of Michael and his daughter and Chris and his daughter on it and someone told me Amanda was also on it, im not sure if she was with Olivia but i would still like to see pictures if anyone has them???

SuSiE_SG1
                                Major Sam/Jack Shipper!

Comment

Working...
                                X