Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
    Death to thinly veiled plot devices that force main characters to be out of character.....
    i.e. kill off pete!!!
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I blame poor writing (and a cheesy plot device) for Pete's stalkerish behavior, and I always thought of him as a pretty nice guy. I think he was intended to be a nice guy, and DDL played him as such. Pete as a big puppy dog is probably a pretty good analogy. He was just kind of goofy and good natured and occasionally let his enthusiasm carry him away.

I don't really understand why some people make him out to be abusive and manipulative in a malicious way because I didn't really see that at all. And what does it say about Sam if he was really that bad? But, that's just me.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
        I will always have the urge to shout out "Death to Pete" everytime he is mentioned
        LOL, I wonder if AD feels the same....
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          I blame poor writing (and a cheesy plot device) for Pete's stalkerish behavior, and I always thought of him as a pretty nice guy. I think he was intended to be a nice guy, and DDL played him as such. Pete as a big puppy dog is probably a pretty good analogy. He was just kind of goofy and good natured and occasionally let his enthusiasm carry him away.

I don't really understand why some people make him out to be abusive and manipulative in a malicious way because I didn't really see that at all. And what does it say about Sam if he was really that bad? But, that's just me.
          I agree with you. Personally I liked Pete, yes he was a bit goofy but that's okay.

Well looks like we have had a lot of folks viewing the thread today so maybe it's time for a little

Caption This:
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Re: AT in other movies. I caught a movie on Lifetime from before Stargate I think, called "Remembrance" (I might have that wrong). Her character was in for only 3 scenes I think, but hers was the most interesting one. I kept wanting the story to go back to her. And I don't think that's just because I'm predisposed to like AT. I think she just brought that special quality to the role.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
              I agree with you. Personally I liked Pete, yes he was a bit goofy but that's okay.

Well looks like we have had a lot of folks viewing the thread today so maybe it's time for a little

Caption This:
              "Sam, doesn't the + mean you're pregnant?"
              "Um, Daniel, don't you want to know way Colonel O'Neill has a pregnancy test in his house????"

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

LOL, I wonder if AD feels the same....
                Agent Dark, I read earlier that you are 17. Is that true? You seem older.

Comment

Lol! I was about to make a similar caption.... although it was going to be:

Daniel: Errr, Sam. Doesn't the + mean you're pregnant?
                  Sam: (looking at Jack) Daniel, you *do* realise I had to pee on that stick, don't you?
                  Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                    i.e. kill off pete!!!
                    I assumed they had this afternoon when I saw Fourth Horseman pt 1

Spoiler:
                    you know when they said someone had gone down with the plague and had taken a flight to Denver.... I was chanting Spud, Spud, Spud, Spud at my screen. My mum doubled over laughing. Then I realised how unlikely it was. Then again, why mention Denver otherwise? Why not, say.... Orlando?

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

Well, that's what always bothered me about my staunch hatred of Pete, is what it said about Sam, or rather what I thought the writers were saying about Sam. I agree - the writers prolly meant for him to be the quintessential 'nice safe guy'. I do now tend to see the stalkerish thing as Pete just reacting like a cop - out of puppy dog enthusiasm doing as much as he could about a situation he didn't like. I think he just reacted and didn't stop to think, "hey, this woman might have a darn good reason for clamming up. I should respect that". I think I'm just cutting him a bit more slack than I have in the past.

Comment

Pete was a good guy, and he was really well-played by DDL (though I have serious issues with nepotism, I was able to seriously overlook it this time). While I did get a major immature vibe from the guy, I never bought that he was a stalker, Jonas Hanson-esque character. I just got that he was a younger, persistent, if not slightly oblivious guy. But he loved Sam a lot, so that was nice.

Still, in Threads, based on what he said and how he said it, it would seem he wasn't as oblivious as we were led to believe (interesting), and wasn't as inwardly dense as the outwardly dense - though comedic - behavior we saw earlier in the episode.

IIRC, AT said something about not liking how Sam treated Pete in the end. Perhaps it was too abrupt? I'm sure someone has the exact quote, if I'm thinking of the right interview. But I'm interested in her take on the treatment of Pete (especially considering it came after some HARSH fan backlash) because I, too, thought that it was further proof of Pete's plot device qualities. Too bad. I'm glad he was a plot device for the shippy aspects, but Sam really did kinda slowly rip his heart out.

Add that to the fact that the Real Sam (i.e. AT's interpretation) wouldn't have accepted his proposal so soon, and I can't help but think that it was unnecessary heartache for all four of the characters involved (Sam, Pete, Jack and Kerry) for the sole purpose of creating drama and angst. I know that Sam's not a callous person, but she DID kinda come off that way in that final scene - for whatever reasons.

I dunno if anyone has already posted this portion of the NY Times article that featured AT, but here's what it said:

Originally posted by NY Times
                        Dave Howe, executive vice president of SciFi, said the three series on Friday night have drawn a surprisingly broad-based audience. "It's not the sort of very male geeky kinds of guys that you'd expect," he said. "It's actually people who love soap operas, people who enjoy watching character dramas."
                        That's an interesting statement, considering how many female online fans have felt a tad neglected by the network for the past couple of years - myself included. Howe, to his credit, pretty much said that more women are watching without REALLY saying it. However, I think lumping all of those viewers into the category of "Loves Soap Operas" is dangerously generic. It's definitely something to think about, though, in terms of the creative choices they may make in the future that could be seen as nods towards the "geeky guys" at one point and the "people who love soap operas" at another...
                        Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 02 January 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                          Lol! I was about to make a similar caption.... although it was going to be:

Daniel: Errr, Sam. Doesn't the + mean you're pregnant?
                          Sam: (looking at Jack) Daniel, you *do* realise I had to pee on that stick, don't you?
                          LOL!!!!!! That's a good one!

Comment

LOL!!!!!! That's a good one!
                            Thank you. Alternatively, looking at poor Sam's expression.

Daniel: Sam, doesn't the + mean that you're -
                            Sam: - So, Jack, Colonel, Sir......Simpsons?

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                              Caption This:
                              Dan: Your turn, Sam.
                              Sam: Uh, I know we're close but I am NOT sharing a chopstick.

Just playin', just sayin'.
                              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                              sigpic
                              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                                I assumed they had this afternoon when I saw Fourth Horseman pt 1

Spoiler:
                                you know when they said someone had gone down with the plague and had taken a flight to Denver.... I was chanting Spud, Spud, Spud, Spud at my screen. My mum doubled over laughing. Then I realised how unlikely it was. Then again, why mention Denver otherwise? Why not, say.... Orlando?
                                grrrl, you are BAAAD

Comment

Working...
                                X