Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    Which brings me to this. We know that Sam inherited some character traits from Jacob. *cough* stubborness *cough*. What do you think she inherited from her mother ? And how much influence did her mother have on her ? Sam was very young when her mother died, but not too young to forget things she learned with her. And if her mother had lived how would you see Sam and her parents relationship ? Especially, how would Jacob as a Tok'ra storyline have been able in an alternate universe where his wife was still alive ?
    Wow Lys great question I think that Sam's mom influenced perhaps Sam's feelings of responsibiltiy and fair play; for example in Red Sky when Jack was telling everyone they should leave, Sam said she couldn't live with herself if they just left and she did nothing to correct the situation. Also probably influenced her reaction in The Other Side, at the end when Alar followed them and Jack ordered the iris closed. You could see the anguish in her expression, eventhough she knew she couldn't speak out against it, it didn't stop her from feeling shock and probably anger towards Jack.

I honestly don't know how it would influence the Tok'ra aspects of Sam and Jacob, since they wouldn't be able to tell her anything about it. Jacob would probably have to pretend to be dead 'on earth', because he had to go and live with the Tok'ra, therefore he would have to give up seeing the rest of his family only having contact with Sam.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Which brings me to this. We know that Sam inherited some character traits from Jacob. *cough* stubborness *cough*. What do you think she inherited from her mother ? And how much influence did her mother have on her ? Sam was very young when her mother died, but not too young to forget things she learned with her. And if her mother had lived how would you see Sam and her parents relationship ? Especially, how would Jacob as a Tok'ra storyline have been able in an alternate universe where his wife was still alive ?
      Sam is very emotional...I think she got that from her mother...but she locks it down under a veil of professionalism...I think she got that from her father.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
        That's an excellent question. I couldn't tell how old Sam was supposed to be when her mother died, but my guess would be early teens. Did she decide to join the Air Force was because she wanted to be closer to Jacob after losing her mother, for example?

According to Jacob, he was away a lot when Sam was a child and I imagine that he would have worked long hours even when he was at home, so I see Sam (and Mark, obviously) having a different bond with their mother, who would have been there all the time, and Jacob who they may not have known very well as young children. Sam's mom would have been a kind of bridge between Jacob and their children. When she died, both Sam and Mark had already spent a lot of their formative years spending more time with their mother and Jacob, who may have been a bit of an unknown quantity to them was left with of raising two kids, one of whom seems to have carried resentment over their mother's death through to adulthood.

Had Sam's mother survived, I don't see Mark becoming estranged from Jacob, but I wonder would Sam still have followed in her father's footsteps and joined the Air Force, or would she have chosen a different route to NASA.

As far as what Sam inherited from her mother goes, I think that a lot of her compassionate nature probably came from there.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          Sam is very emotional...I think she got that from her mother...but she locks it down under a veil of professionalism...I think she got that from her father.
          Actually, I was wondering if Sam's mother wasn't the 'adrenaline junkie' and unconventional mom who got her to love 'motorcycle riding and lock picking' ? Jacob is very cautious, always reminding Jack that they shouldn't travel using flight technology they don't master. And don't tell me it's Selmak speaking, we all know that Jacob is the one in charge in the odd couple. . I don't see him being very pleased with Sam's passion for bikes. Now, being the one who influenced her military career, yes, but why the NASA ? Where does this side of Sam who wants to go beyond the known limits come from ?
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
            Actually, I was wondering if Sam's mother wasn't the 'adrenaline junkie' and unconventional mom who got her to love 'motorcycle riding and lock picking' ? Jacob is very cautious, always reminding Jack that they shouldn't travel using flight technology they don't master. And don't tell me it's Selmak speaking, we all know that Jacob is the one in charge in the odd couple. . I don't see him being very pleased with Sam's passion for bikes. Now, being the one who influenced her military career, yes, but why the NASA ? Where does this side of Sam who wants to go beyond the known limits come from ?
            There's our flashback - Mommy Carter taking six year old Sam on a motorbike ride and teaching her about how they work.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              LOL Kat - your homage to Bob The Builder sig is TOO FUNNY!

Thanks

and a big thanks to everyone who have given me green lately.

I apologize for not thanking everyone individually or responding to comments people have made, but I don't normally have a lot of free time to respond.

Hope everyone had a great mother's day if you celebrate and just a wonderful day if you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                I dunno, character traits can be hard to define as coming from any single parent.

Although I imagine Sam's mum would have had to be a tough lady to be married to Jacob for however many years. Given that Sam's no doormat, however, I'd say that Sam's mum was more than capable of managing her family - including her son, who resented his mother's death to the point of minimising relations with his father and sister for what must have been a good fifteen years before the events of Seth.

Stubbornness seems to run in the family!

'Jacob as a Tok'ra' with his wife still alive... That's a tricky one. Because the rift between Mark and his father probably contributed to Sam's going into the Air Force (not necessarily a deciding factor, but contributed), as it did Jacob pinning his hopes on his daughter's dreams when he had cancer since father and son were too proud to be on speaking terms.

As a result, Jacob was intent on seeing his 'little girl' achieve her dreams before the cancer got him, which led to him being in the Springs around the time SG1 went to the Tok'ra, which led to him being available when the TOk'ra required proof that the Tauri were serious in their desire for an alliance.

If Jacob's wife had been alive, if Sam's mother had kept the peace between husband and son (as many a woman has before her) and so Jacob's focus wasn't so totally on Sam as it was, if Jacob hadn't been as 'available' to the Stargate project as he was when the offer of blending came around...would they have even considered offering it to him?

It was a combination of situation, need, and proximity that had Jacob in the Springs when the offer of the Tok'ra blending came. Those factors are a result of Sam being the only family member Jacob keeps contact with at that point in the story. With his wife back in the mix (even if he's still estranged from his son) would Jacob have been in the same proximity or even the same need when the Tok'ra situation came along?

Sel.

Comment

see, instead of donna mills, i'd think hailey mills...the woman who - as a child - did the first parent trap, i could see her as sam' mom
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                    mandy, it means the command is "Tench-HUT!" and what's that supposed to mean!?!
                    It means the Yanks can't pronounce 'attention'

Comment

Candice Bergen would be another interesting person to play Sam's mom.

Comment

Originally posted by alderleaf
                        Candice Bergen would be another interesting person to play Sam's mom.
                        i adore candice bergen, but i'm not sure she'd be right for the role. although it would be interesting considering that she generally is type cast in a more mean/harsh/sarcastic/bad @$$ kind of role. interesting to see her play what i assume would be a placid, gentle and kind hearted maternal type.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                          i adore candice bergen, but i'm not sure she'd be right for the role. although it would be interesting considering that she generally is type cast in a more mean/harsh/sarcastic/bad @$$ kind of role. interesting to see her play what i assume would be a placid, gentle and kind hearted maternal type.
                          i know she's not that much older than AT (maybe about 15 years), and she doesn't look it either, but how about christine lahti?

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                            i know she's not that much older than AT (maybe about 15 years), and she doesn't look it either, but how about christine lahti?
                            What about Nicolette Sheridan for flashbacks, she could keep Jacob in his place
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i see candace as too abrasive.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i see candace as too abrasive.
                                I always thought geeky Sam was channeling Murphy Brown when she made the face after the reproductive organs comment.

Suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X