This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marimba26
    It seems the writers have totally lost site of real women! Instead, they are writing Sam like some wishy-washy doormat who thinks it's okay to be followed because she's DESPERATE!!! And she seems to be so desperate to be married that she'll do anything to get there! Even accept a loser like Pete! I'm sorry but this whole biological clock thing TICKS me off ROYALLY!!! Like you said Michelle, many women are happy without children. But TPTB seem to think women just can't go through life without a mate and offspring--POPPYCOCK!
    The biological clock thing doesn't work for all characters, but by the same token, I think there is some merit to it in this case. (Not enough to merit Pete, but hear me out.) Remember the end of "Singularity", when Daniel suggested that Sam's unwillingness to leave Cassandra was due to a mother's instincts? She denied it, certainly, but she loved that little girl enough after knowing her for only a few days to stay with her to the end. I don't think that Sam needs a husband and kids to be happy, but she's a very loving person. Loving others gives her happiness, so having a family of her own is a natural extension of that.

*shrugs* My two cents. And Swimmy's.

Mel
    Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
    Last update: 14 April 2006
    Melyanna's Multimedia
    Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Hey caty

Im trying to watch one of your vids and i am actually looking forward to it cus i love the song "Thriller." I have been waiting for 10 minutes, so far, for it to load. I want to watch another but i dont know how well my computer will handel it. Which one would you reccomend? The best S/J vid ya got. I need to see some shippyness right now cus my day has ended up being pretty sucky!
      Random Thought of the day:

-If you had a friend who was a tight rope walker and yall were walking down the side walk and he fell....that would be completly unacceptable!
      -I realize that alot of people don't like Jesus, or just ignore Him or have no use for Him, but i think the best thing a person can do is to read the gospels in the Bible and really look at Jesus, because if a person does this, they will realize that the Jesus they learned about in Sunday school or the Jesus they hear jokes about or the skinny, Gandhi Jesus that exists in their imaginations isn't anything like the real Jesus at all.

heh heh heh...^compliments of suekay(((suekay))).....disregard the question mark on the end!!

Comment

I think Sam loved Cassandra very much, but I'm not really that sure that equates to mothering instincts. After all, her own childhood wasn't particularly happy, and has has been said, not all women want children.

I don't, but I also have an autistic sibling and despite the fact that my MD sister says that my likely hood of having a child as profoundly disabled as she is, is very low, I still saw a lot of pain there. I have no desire to have children, and no sense of a biological clock ticking down.

Unless Grace did something more than just make her delusional, I'm just not sure that Sam would either.

Comment

Well, I guess it's my turn on the soapbox now . I agree, the pressure on women from society to get married and have babies is TREMENDOUS, even from a very young age. As someone who was married and had children rather young, I can say that it's not for everyone. I don't regret my choice to do so but there is NOTHING wrong with a woman waiting to marry until she's ready--or even never marrying at all! What's wrong with Sam having a good relationship with her one true love (Jack) and still getting to go out and kick butt every day? Nothing. Does she have to get married right now? NO! Does she have to get married ever? NO!

It seems the writers have totally lost site of real women! Instead, they are writing Sam like some wishy-washy doormat who thinks it's okay to be followed because she's DESPERATE!!! And she seems to be so desperate to be married that she'll do anything to get there! Even accept a loser like Pete! I'm sorry but this whole biological clock thing TICKS me off ROYALLY!!! Like you said Michelle, many women are happy without children. But TPTB seem to think women just can't go through life without a mate and offspring--POPPYCOCK!

K I think I'm done with that soapbox now...next

I'll take it.you've made some very good points ladies.And as a young woman whose open minded either way i'm a little tired of the marrige/grandchildren insinuations.I don't even have a boyfriend.I don't even WANT a boyfriend.I'm still getting over a very wrong guy and I'm happy with my rick crush and my shippy dreams and my possibilities for a career.I don't want to settle for less than perfect.But to defend TPTB (I can't belive i just said that) There IS a biological clock thing.A lot of women DO really want kids.I think Sam is very believable as one of them.and if she's given up on ever having Jack she might sette for less.Once you've met and lost the person you think is better for you than anyone else.....your a lot more likely to take what you can get than if you never met them.There's this voice saying You'll never meet anyone as good for you as Jack.so if the guys nice.what the hell?

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
            It's disturbing how aggressive some women get when they're confronted with women who don't want to get married, have kids and live happily ever after.

Which reminds me - go here for a good laugh: www.ladiesagainstfeminism.org

And no, it's not a fake.
            Well I count myself as a Christian woman but that site is disturbing. I wouldn't call myself feminist really but I am NOT for putting women back into the stone ages FCOL! I think that we as a gender have been subjugated for centuries and are finally coming into our own--sites like that set us back a LONG way. I've been on both sides of the coin and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a woman working outside the home--or in it for that matter. As long as she chose it. I think if that if someone is married, they should respect their spouse but that works both ways! Even the Bible says it works both ways!

This is the big problem I have with Sam right now. I don't feel like she has chosen this path with Pete at all. Yes, on the surface, it seems that way
            but I think she is doing it out of some misguided notion she picked up from imaginary Jacob when she got conked on the head. Not exactly the best place to get life advice IMHO. I don't know what the writers are on about, pushing all this marriage and family stuff with her and saying that it helps us know what makes her tick. They have NEVER given us any indication before that she felt this way. And it feels VERY out of character for her.

For the first 6 and a half seasons we had a woman who was independent. A woman who loved a man she couldn't have but wasn't going to settle for second best, even if that meant settling for no one. Then we have Grace and Chernobyl and now all of a sudden we have a woman who ignores all of the principles that she's lived her life by in the past and subjugates herself to a man who doesn't trust or respect her. Personally, I'm insulted by it and I lay blame for this gross injustice to women everywhere squarely in the laps of all the PTB who went along with it!

Okay, I promise I am relinquishing that soapbox now!
            Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
            Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
            Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

This is the big problem I have with Sam right now. I don't feel like she has chosen this path with Pete at all.
              I don't feel like she's chosen it, I don't even feel like she's settled for it. Affinity gave me the sense that she felt like she was being shoved into it, and that she had to make the decision... which makes me wonder what else is coming ...

Wont let you, ha!

Comment

Just to say - I LOVE the penguin cookie idea.

Just read Melyanna's fic - I recommend it!!

Anywho

Thanks to everyone here for the positive feedback about The General's Hell. A sequel is in the works, and it's gonna be shippy!!!

SAM AND JACK FOREVER!!

Penguins rule and Spuds drool.
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
                  Sorry for the OT bizarreness, sally ((((((sally))))). But did you see Major Fischer's amazing polemic on why a non-shipper dislikes Pete? See, we are right, we're not just obsessed wierdos with issues.
                  That's because we were never obsessed weirdos with issues...methinks that honor belongs squarely in the lap of the people who created Pete!

Sorry, that snark just insists on coming out to play today!
                  Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                  Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                  Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by yoojoo
                    Hey caty

Im trying to watch one of your vids and i am actually looking forward to it cus i love the song "Thriller." I have been waiting for 10 minutes, so far, for it to load. I want to watch another but i dont know how well my computer will handel it. Which one would you reccomend? The best S/J vid ya got. I need to see some shippyness right now cus my day has ended up being pretty sucky!

yoojoo You gonna love Thriller ..Once you downloaded it ..perhaps copy it on to a CD ...then you can delete the one in you PC ...to give space to download another one !!!

Well they are all shippy my Sam and Jack videos ...which singers or groups do you like best ..then I'll tell you which one I recommend ..Do you want a getting on well video with Kisses or a bit of banter or perhaps an action shippy video ??!!!!

Do you like sad shippy videos or happy shippy videos?

Give me a clue on your favorite group or singer in my video page.

Caty

Comment

Well I count myself as a Christian woman but that site is disturbing. I wouldn't call myself feminist really but I am NOT for putting women back into the stone ages FCOL! I think that we as a gender have been subjugated for centuries and are finally coming into our own--sites like that set us back a LONG way. I've been on both sides of the coin and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a woman working outside the home--or in it for that matter. As long as she chose it. I think if that if someone is married, they should respect their spouse but that works both ways! Even the Bible says it works both ways!
                      Got to agree with you there. As a Christian woman myself, I find that site disturbing. Well, actually, I find extremists of all varieties disturbing, liberal or conservative. Some comment was made on that site about women marrying at a later time — I've got to disagree with that being a bad thing. Getting married just to be married is not a good plan! *coughcoughSAMcoughcough*

This is the big problem I have with Sam right now. I don't feel like she has chosen this path with Pete at all. Yes, on the surface, it seems that way but I think she is doing it out of some misguided notion she picked up from imaginary Jacob when she got conked on the head. Not exactly the best place to get life advice IMHO. I don't know what the writers are on about, pushing all this marriage and family stuff with her and saying that it helps us know what makes her tick. They have NEVER given us any indication before that she felt this way. And it feels VERY out of character for her.
                      Amen! I think that, if it had really been Jacob talking, he would have told her that he thinks she could be very happy in a long-term relationship, not that she needs one to be happy. Same thing with the kids thing. I think she could be very happy as a mom — but she doesn't need kids to be a happy, fulfilled woman.

For the first 6 and a half seasons we had a woman who was independent. A woman who loved a man she couldn't have but wasn't going to settle for second best, even if that meant settling for no one. Then we have Grace and Chernobyl and now all of a sudden we have a woman who ignores all of the principles that she's lived her life by in the past and subjugates herself to a man who doesn't trust or respect her. Personally, I'm insulted by it and I lay blame for this gross injustice to women everywhere squarely in the laps of all the PTB who went along with it!
                      No kidding. I'd always gotten the impression that Sam really didn't have much time for watching television, so where's she getting this pressure? Jennifer Hailey? Ooh, look, a plot hole! Never thought I'd see one of those here.

Aww, come on, you know you love the soapbox.
                      Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

No you most certainly will not!! Get back on that box and rant away!! Its refreshing to hear!! If i had a way with words i'd get up there with you and let it fly too!!

BTW, Howdy from a fellow Texan! he he he, I love this place!

-If you had a friend who was a tight rope walker and yall were walking down the side walk and he fell....that would be completly unacceptable!
                        -I realize that alot of people don't like Jesus, or just ignore Him or have no use for Him, but i think the best thing a person can do is to read the gospels in the Bible and really look at Jesus, because if a person does this, they will realize that the Jesus they learned about in Sunday school or the Jesus they hear jokes about or the skinny, Gandhi Jesus that exists in their imaginations isn't anything like the real Jesus at all.

heh heh heh...^compliments of suekay(((suekay))).....disregard the question mark on the end!!

Comment

Hey!

Wow I've not been on the forum for months, I miss my fellow shippers

I don't know if you already know this, but if not i bring a glimmer of hope...

Threads spoilers:
                          I was browsing the our stargate forum and i found this spoiler

Daniel is in some nether-place with Oma, at a diner actually, and must decide whether or not to ascend again or die. If he ascends, the "SGC crew" may not survive, if he stays human, he might not. Oma speaks of her error in ascending Anubis and how complicated the situation is.

Meanwhile, Jack is dating a member of the SGC Professional Oversight Committee, Kerry, and Sam drops by his house. Seems Pete has put a down payment on a house in preparation for their impending marriage, but Sam has doubts. Kerry interrupts Sam as she tries to share her feelings. She tries to bow out but is interrupted again by a call from SGC, something's happened to Jacob.

At SGC, Kerry comes to Jack to discuss their relationship. She asks why he doesn't retire to be with Carter. He says he's considered it. Kerry bows out of their relationship, she can't invest in something when he's obviously not. She mentions that, while Jack is considered invaluable to the program before, the SGC has been under civilian control before, 'just a suggestion' she says.
                          xXBekXx
                          Beware of the evil bunnie wabbits!
                          I'm not weird, I'm obscure!
                          Hello Kitty wocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                            No kidding. I'd always gotten the impression that Sam really didn't have much time for watching television, so where's she getting this pressure? Jennifer Hailey? Ooh, look, a plot hole! Never thought I'd see one of those here.
                            Oh, I don't know, Jenny dear sounded like someone so concerned with conforming to what others thought of her

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                              Oh, I don't know, Jenny dear sounded like someone so concerned with conforming to what others thought of her
                              As did the Jenny from "1969" — Gasp! What if they're related! Or the same person!

Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                                yoojoo You gonna love Thriller ..Once you downloaded it ..perhaps copy it on to a CD ...then you can delete the one in you PC ...to give space to download another one !!!

Well they are all shippy my Sam and Jack videos ...which singers or groups do you like best ..then I'll tell you which one I recommend ..Do you want a getting on well video with Kisses or a bit of banter or perhaps an action shippy video ??!!!!

Do you like sad shippy videos or happy shippy videos?

Give me a clue on your favorite group or singer in my video page.

Caty
                                ya know the vid still hasn't downloaded completly yet. It still had another 50% to download! It driving me up the wall!!!
                                Anyways, the music doesn't really matter to me. I love all kinds of music, from classical to rap. So thats no big deal to me. Whats your favorite vid? I will watch that one.
                                The queston is do you have a Favorite ONE!! I bet their all to good to pick!

Comment

Working...
                                X