Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Vala thread - For complaints about the character ONLY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she is funny they but they should tone her down just a litttle bit it was littlle annoying sometimes especially "lets make babies" it got old because she talked about her and daniel to much for one episode

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
      I think you mean "quite offensive". If you can demonstrate the to be substantially fallacious, I will consider your take on my comments seriously.
      I think YOU mean "kudos to her for being able to communicate exactly what she means in a language that is not her first, even if it might occasionally involve a teeny slip, and even though I quite patently make grammatical slips myself."

Right? Right. Good.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
        It's ok, embrace your strangeness.

Vala rules! (had to keep this post on topic. )
        Actually I dont think the topic is Vala rules. Although that would be a counter arguement to the actual topic which is end Vala or the less polite topic from the original poster who appears to have a great desire for the Vala character to go away permanently. There are several other threads where the topic actually is Vala rules. This appears to be sort of the anti-vala thread, although most posters arent so much anti-vala as "anti-vala all the time".

Vala is a fine character but she has been pushed front and center along with Daniel to the detrement of the development of the other characters. But I do agree with marimba26 that right now the show is basically just treading water until Sam gets back and that they probably did this so it would be easier for Sam to jump into the flow of the show. They have introduced some of the plot points for this year but havent delved into any of them very deeply. I expect that to start to change this week in order to setup the Beachhead ep the next week and the return of SG-1 as a team. I think Valas fate at the end of Beachhead will be unclear and that we will see her return either later this season or some next season. This should make all the Pro, Anti and Neuteral Vala'ers happy..
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I've read somewhere else earlier today a short report from the latest Creation Con in New Jersey and I must say that I love Michael Shanks more and more every single day

From what he was saying there it seems that he likes working with Claudia very much. "He also pointed out the Vala-naysayers were also (largely) the Sam-lovers. But there are always exceptions.
          Somebody asked Michael and Chris Judge which guest stars they'd most enjoyed working with. Chris said whoever he got to kiss, basically, while Michael said, flat-out, Claudia Black. He was asked, twice, "but what about-" Nope. He wouldn't change his answer."

Comment

I actually believe that what Vala confided to Daniel to be the truth, but in true Vala form she showed a weak moment and covered it by pretending to be joking.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              "anti-vala all the time". <some snippety doo dah>

Vala is a fine character but she has been pushed front and center along with Daniel to the detrement of the development of the other characters. But I do agree with marimba26 that right now the show is basically just treading water until Sam gets back and that they probably did this so it would be easier for Sam to jump into the flow of the show.
              Yeah, they seem to be treading water until the race starts....Frankly, though, I would have liked to see more of how Mitchell relates to the other characters. He seemed to get short shrift considering he's the new SG-1 leader.

The thing with the Vala character for me is the complete suspension if disbelief the writers are asking me for. I mean, I have a hard time buying that the US military would team up with an intergalactic thief who stole our ship, and that they would have her in the meeting with the Senate appropriations guy. This seemed gratuitous and forced to me, but it did lend to the comedy of the ep. Not only is her character too much in every ep and for 6 in a row but they seem to be warping the show around her in ways that I find very un-SGC like. For me, the show has lost that "hey, this could be happening now" feeling because the verisimilitude factor has seriously dipped (not that it was always 'on' but at least they made an effort to represent the military appropriately). This is not a bad thing per se, its just different from what my experience with SG up to this point. Other people enjoy it, though, so its really just my personal feelings.

I'm anxious for Sam to come back and see what it will be at that time.
              If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
              proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
              Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
                I've read somewhere else earlier today a short report from the latest Creation Con in New Jersey and I must say that I love Michael Shanks more and more every single day

From what he was saying there it seems that he likes working with Claudia very much. "He also pointed out the Vala-naysayers were also (largely) the Sam-lovers. But there are always exceptions.
                Somebody asked Michael and Chris Judge which guest stars they'd most enjoyed working with. Chris said whoever he got to kiss, basically, while Michael said, flat-out, Claudia Black. He was asked, twice, "but what about-" Nope. He wouldn't change his answer."
                The fact that an actor enjoys working with another actor doesn't necessarily make the characters they play very good. I'm still holding out hope that TPTB allow Vala to develop some more rather than playing her simply for laughs. Pure comedy for the sake of comedy just gets old and boring really, really quickly.
                Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Yeah, hopefully we will get to see more than comedy out of her this next episode. Afterall, it does deal with her past.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The Ties That Bind wasn't comedy only. If Vala wasn't with them in Kaius' ship they'd probably be killed, she was the only one who knew what to do. Plus the scene in Daniel's room was rather sad for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                      I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw Wayne Brady as a Jaffa. Sorry if I misinterpreted the intent of your post, but it brings up something that's bothered me. I've seen a lot of complaints that the new villains aren't scary enough, which makes me wonder, did anyone really find the Goa'uld or Jaffa very scary?
                      Loved Wayne Brady as first prime!! I almost wished he would break into song! And to answer your question about finding the Gou'ald or Jaffa scary--no, not really. I just thought they were evil, egotistical *******s with ZERO personality!!
                      Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

can you image if they'd had taken vala seriously? or more aptly put, had vala serious? i'm a HUGE fan of Xena, but if the writers hadn't taken that character seriously, or they'd hired someone other than the *wonderful* lucy lawless, that character might have come off as a cartoon. Xena had their funny eps, but they also showed unbelievable character growth that was only possible with those writers and actors on that show. Rob Tapert created Xena, and if he'd created vala... can you imagine? Xena fans will know just what i'm talking about.
                        LOL! I just pictured Vala as the character played by Bruce Campbell (can't for the life of me remember his name).
                        Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          I think YOU mean "kudos to her for being able to communicate exactly what she means in a language that is not her first, even if it might occasionally involve a teeny slip, and even though I quite patently make grammatical slips myself."
                          Is ValaMalduran from a non-English speaking country, or did you mistakenly believe that I was responding to one of Kalliope's posts? Ms. Malduran's location is not filled in, so how was I to know, assuming you are correct?

EDITED TO ADD: After searching posts I DID come across mention of seeing "War of the Worlds" where Ms. Malduran mentioned it was English. I'd assume that anyone making that distinction didn't consider English their first language. So thank you, Madeleine, for clueing me in there.

Originally posted by Kalliope
                          From what he was saying there it seems that he likes working with Claudia very much. "He also pointed out the Vala-naysayers were also (largely) the Sam-lovers. But there are always exceptions."
                          Well, I guess I would probably qualify as a nay-sayer by your standards, Kalliope, though I just think Vala is a cardboard character, despite Ms. Black's talents. So I'd be one of those exceptions.

If I could start a poll on the subject, I'd be willing to bet we could put the lie to that statement in short order.

What would be the answer that would suit his own self interests? Yep, you got it.

Give it a rest, Kalliope, all you are doing is inflaming the anti-Vala fandom with your over the top pro-Vala fandom.

I wonder when the "dedicated thread rule" will apply here?
                          Last edited by Darth Buddha; 10 August 2005, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                            Well, I guess I would probably qualify as a nay-sayer by your standards, Kalliope, though I just think Vala is a cardboard character, despite Ms. Black's talents. So I'd be one of those exceptions.

If I could start a poll on the subject, I'd be willing to bet we could put the lie to that statement in short order.

What would be the answer that would suit his own self interests? Yep, you got it.
                            I cannot green rep you right now, DB, but your posts rock and they are right on. I agree 100% with your comments above. The comment by Mr. Shanks sounds a little like sour grapes to me - has he spoken with everyone who has expressed a dislike of the vala character? Somehow I think not, therefore I wold love to know where he gets his info (I also take it as somewhat of an insult from Mr. Shanks in that he assumes that "largely" anyone who likes Carter is shallow and cannot see beyod that to also like another female character (he is probably confusing Carter fans with Daniel fans . . .).

Mr. Shanks, while I never had a problem with him, has left me cold with several of his insulting remarks made during the PR wagon train. I have seen quite a number of "Sam-Lovers" who think vala is okay but in small doses - seems the biggest problem with her is that she is too much, too often and way to over the top to be so prevelant - her cartoonish antics wear thin.

It is unfortunate that many of those involved in Stargate are unable to accept criticism of anything remotely related to their character or their show, at least that is how most of them seem to me, that they have to either ignore the fans or make insulting remarks about them, and I am not just referring to Mr. Shanks' comment.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              The comment by Mr. Shanks sounds a little like sour grapes to me - has he spoken with everyone who has expressed a dislike of the vala character? Somehow I think not, therefore I wold love to know where he gets his info.
                              I have to qualify my take on Mr. Shanks' statements just a bit to differentiate them from your take just a tad.

Mr. Shanks is doing exactly what he should be doing from his employer's point of view. He's pushing the season and he's pushing the guest co-star.

There's probably a clause in his contract requiring him to do just that.

(I also take it as somewhat of an insult from Mr. Shanks in that he assumes that "largely" anyone who likes Carter is shallow and cannot see beyod that to also like another female character (he is probably confusing Carter fans with Daniel fans . . .).

Mr. Shanks, while I never had a problem with him, has left me cold with several of his insulting remarks made during the PR wagon train.
                              The "Vala naysayers" is just a bit of a foot in the mouth (maybe a big toe), and not the first. Remember the "intelligent enough" comment? I can't say I expect more than that; he's an actor, not a press secretary.

Besides, he's probably as cranky from dealing with Vala-naysayers as perhaps some here are with certain Claudia-Black-fangurls. The same unserving opinions over and over would certainly make ME cranky enough to misspeak. If he is facing what I suspect he is, he has my sympathies.
                              Last edited by Darth Buddha; 10 August 2005, 09:33 AM.

Comment

*hands on hips*

Darth Buddha, are you causing trouble again?

Comment

Working...
                                X