Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Vala thread - For complaints about the character ONLY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad MS likes her. I'm sure CB's great but some people don't like her character. I'm sure the minority won't change a damn thing so the minority will have to decide if the show's worth watching with her on it.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      I guess what I am saying is that high Nielsen ratings do not necessarily indicate a "quality" show!
      Exactly.

Comment

Ratings are out on the front page now. SG-1 held steady, SGA and BSG both droped on tenth.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
          For Vala haters...Any hope that the Nielsen ratings will support your POV is dashed.

(You'll see what I mean when they are posted)

Okay, now we know what the ratings are for The Ties that Bind---2.0 again. that's good. It is below the season 8 average of 2.1 for the second week in a row, but at least it is steady.

From what you wrote, I was expecting a significant increase from last week, but steady is good.

To stay on topic, I'm figuring TPTB, even before seeing the decent ratings, were planning to have Vala back every so often---that makes sense because she, like other good recurring characters, are important to the show.

Comment

That's nice. As we are talking about a "post Vala" situation here, do this week's ratings really apply?

The fans who aren't "Fargaters" have to hang in and watch if they want to know what is going on when Amanda Tapping's "Col. Carter" returns. The fans who are "Fargaters" might not stick around... but neither of those issues has played out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              Yeah... We all know how much MS and the crew are enjoying CB and this season. They've made that abundantly clear.

But, again, that doesn't have much to do with the Nielsen masses or the fans who go online.

Well, I think the ratings were announced today. 2.0 for SG1 and 1.9 for SGA and BSG, with this being BSG's lowest in the show's history. Good thing "someone" finally woke up.

Anyway, as for Vala and Farscape, Darth Buddha, I find her more of a combination of Rygel and Chiana. Sexy, thieving, greedy, in it for herself and possibly (possibly) having a heart somewhere under all that greed.

Needless to say, the sexy part belongs to Chiana ...puppet fetishes aside.

ETA: oops, never mind the ratings thing. Someone beat me to it.

And I guess only time will tell re: post Vala stuff. I think that the ratings will likely pop along about the same. Anyone who was only watching for Claudia will stop, everyone waiting for Sam to return will start.

An even swap.

DB, the "Fargaters" will stick around for Ben, who hasn't had a lot to do these past episodes. It's the smaller portion of the "FG" contingent, those watching soley for Claudia Black, who may stop watching but, really, I don't think that's going to make a whole lot of difference.

As a fan of Black's, I'd like to see it make a difference, but I doubt it will.

As for ratings and quality shows...I think we already had that debate back when Farscape was canceled.
              Last edited by esoap524; 08 August 2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackDaniel41
                And your point is... People who still like this show are MS fans only *and* now Vala fans. I like MS too but I don't like what Vala's doing to his character OR should I say TPTB.
                MS fans only?! That's a pretty big assumption!! I personally love all the characters, and couldn't even give you a favorite if you asked! I am enjoying Vala's run as a good source of entertainment while waiting for Carter's return. I appreciate the humor she brings to the show. I will enjoy the episodes with the *new* team once they begin as much as I have enjoyed the first four. Sometimes, change is good.

MS fans only ... sheesh! Whatever.
                Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

People who still like this show are MS fans only *and* now Vala fans. I like MS too but I don't like what Vala's doing to his character OR should I say TPTB.
                  Yow, from Media Savant making drawing global conclusions from limited data to your making global conclusions with no data in evidence, this thread is going downhill fast!

Originally posted by esoap524
                  And I guess only time will tell re: post Vala stuff. I think that the ratings will likely pop along about the same. Anyone who was only watching for Claudia will stop, everyone waiting for Sam to return will start.

An even swap.
                  So you are assuming "Claudia only fans' = "Amanda Tapping only fans"?

DB, the "Fargaters" will stick around for Ben, who hasn't had a lot to do these past episodes. It's the smaller portion of the "FG" contingent, those watching soley for Claudia Black, who may stop watching but, really, I don't think that's going to make a whole lot of difference.
                  Maybe. I'm wondering what will happen next. I know that the fanboy/fangurl element that dominates here probably isn't representative of the actual viewing audience.

As for ratings and quality shows...I think we already had that debate back when Farscape was canceled.
                  Again, depends on which side of that debate you are on. I was ticked that Farscape was cancelled, but the show had disappointed me pretty consistently in Season 4.

It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Comment

Yep. It's PRETTY dangerous to generalize.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                      And shouldn't we be talking about Vala, not the fans who like or dislike her?
                      I thought Daniel pretty much nailed her character. What else needs to be said? I can't fault CB's performance either. What else does one do with such a shallow character, but play it "over-the-top?" The fact that she and Daniel are carrying the show, justifies my earlier comment. The writers have to center the shows around someone else with RDA gone, except for the occasional cameo, and AT out for a few weeks. What were they gonna do: center the shows around the Jaffa political struggles....BORING!!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I don't think I jumped to any big conclusions. Daniel Jackson's a very popular character. Remember when MS wanted out in season five. Remember the major marketing campaign to bring him back. Remember season six. I'll go as far as saying he's the most popular character on the show.
                        Last edited by JackDaniel41; 08 August 2005, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crichton
                          It's surprising to me that someone who liked Claudia Black in Farscape would not see the golden opportunity that she has with Vala. She finally gets to act like Rygel but with sex appeal!!
                          LOL Good description! Although..Vala's not quite as bad as Rygel...I certainly hope we won't EVER see her urinate fire.

Also, the last episode completly shows that Vala is going to be perfect for her intended purpose...to be a recurring character that opens up new storylines...not a main character, but instead she'll be like Carter's Dad, or Braytak, or the Tokkra, or any other character that makes appearances every once in awhile but is also occupied with more than Earth's priority list.
                          Exactly! I'm with ya! As much as I'm loving Vala...to have her as a constant member would get a bit tiring for me. Recurring character is the perfect spot for her.

Also, goddamm!!!! she was hot in the red lingerie!!!
                          * hands Crichton a towel and a drool bucket

Down Crichton, down!
                          sigpic
                          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by valaCB
                            What do you mean??? Most of the people like her and they are not strange at all!
                            Riiiight...whatever.

*starts humming...People are strange...
                            Last edited by SunKrux; 08 August 2005, 06:37 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think I jumped to any big conclusions. Daniel Jackson's a very popular character. Remember when MS wanted out in season five. Remember the major marketing campaign to bring him back. Remember season six. I'll go as far as saying he's the most popular character on the show.
                              That might be an interesting point to discuss, but it is a far cry from what you said initially.

People who still like this show are MS fans only *and* now Vala fans. I like MS too but I don't like what Vala's doing to his character OR should I say TPTB.
                              So I'd say you leapt to some mighty big conclusions. One I can disprove right off. I still watch the show, and I never much cared for Daniel, and I don't much care for Vala either (a waste of Ms. Black's talents as far as I am concerned).

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                                I'm also one of those that hope that CB's character of Vala becomes a recurring guest, like Jacob/Selmak, used to be. One of the things that has kept SG-1 "fresh" all these years, is it's ability to laugh at itself, in addition to being serious and taking the moral high ground in many episodes. Vala has been a breath of fresh air and a much needed diversion, with the exit of our beloved RDA and the abscence of the wonderful AT.

CB is a fantastic actress and it is obvious, she has been enjoying the role of Vala, one so unlike Aeryn Sun, and I've been enjoying watching her. Has a little of the dialogue been over the top....yes, but over-all, I like the character and I'd like to continue to see her in the future. As for "ships", only the kind that fly, please.
                                Thank you! Vala, imho, isn't even "Aeryn-lite" as one fans has labeled her. They are so completely different! Aeryn, grew up a solider, with no emotions and no kind of affection given to her. I have a feeling Vala faired better in that department than Aeryn did.

Vala is a woman who knows what part of her to use to get what she wants. Aeryn didn't have a clue in that regards. LOL

CB has to be having a BLAST with this role!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X