This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
    Stargate is a formula show where each character has their “save the day” turf. When the solution to the problem is scientific or technical Sam steps up to save the day. When the solution to the problem is negotiation, interpretation or is to be found in mythology then Daniel steps up to save the day. When the solution to the problem is action or force it’s going to be Mitchell’s turn to save the day. That’s Mitchell’s turf, just like it was Jack’s. That’s the division of labor, nothing new in that. Why anybody who is familiar with this show would be shocked, dismayed or otherwise surprised to see Mitchell step up here just amazes me. Stargate is a formula show and that’s the formula...
    I agree. Furthermore, I think they are writing Mitchell's heroic actions as they would have for Jack so it kills me when they ridicule Mitchell and then follow it with, "I wish Jack was here!" Don't they realize that the writers would have had Jack do the exact same thing!!! Aaaarrrrgghhhh!

[and I like the take-charge action in Mitchell and I liked it in Jack, too.]

Comment

Originally posted by Kas

Oh... and did Reed Diamond really have to die? Hot damn, I'm wishing he'd made the SGC as well.... Loved, loved, loved the play of these two actors together.
      I agree with this statement wholeheartedly--why did Reed have to die?

As I said before in a different thread, my head was about ready to explode just from seeing two of my favorite actors in the same scene together. I have been a Reed Diamond fan since Homicide, and we just don't get to see enough of him these days. Both Browder and Diamond have such fine training, and to see them apply their craft is such a treat. It's almost like SciFi Friday has become old home week for Homicide actors; what with Michelle Forbes on BSG and now Reed. Perhaps TPTB could bring Yaphett Kotto (Gee, from Homicide) or Andre Braugher (Pembleton, from Homicide) onto SG-1 as associates of Landry.

Comment

Terrafirmascapers.com has an interesting point about Mitchell. It is by cosmic theorist. It has made me look at all of season 9 differently. IT is in the What is with Mitchell? thread . Well worth reading. In Avalon when Mitchell was in the hospital they told him that they found the guy that was in the plane with him. Which means Mitchell had gotten out of the plane and whatever he did saved SG1 and that is how he got the medal. Also, why he went ahead of Sam and Daniel in Stronghold. He had the guy behind him back him up so he could take out the gunman then ran up the hill to go get Teal'c He is there to protect the most important people which are Daniel, Sam and Teal'c and that is what he did. They are more important than he is (in his book) and he is there to protect him. Of course Cosmic Theorist said it so much better and had a much better explanation. Worth going over there to read.
        Sybil

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
          I'm certainly not giving their opinions value over mine. I'm merely gathering my rebuttals for what I think are going to be Mitchell-bashings. When someone has something that they like, whether it be an actor, a movie, a food, a car, whatever, they want others to like it. That's why we recommend movies and offer food that we like for others to taste. We want them to enjoy what we enjoy. In that same vein, we can get upset when others don't like some things that we feel strongly about and we tend to wince or defend those things. It could hurt your feelings when someone attacks that which you like. If I bought a car and showed it to a friend that said, "What an ugly car and what color is that? Puke?" Well, that hurts your feelings almost like they are attacking you.

Likewise, when people attack Mitchell, it hurts my feelings, because I like him and I want everyone else to like him, too. I know it's not possible, though, so I try to gird myself for the inevitable onslaught. I'm certainly not saying, "Others are going to hate this, so I do, too." I think, "Someone is going to hate this, so I better grow that thick skin about it," and then I go on enjoying it myself and get ready to defend that enjoyment.
          Point taken. I guess I am just too focused on whether or not I'm getting what I want out of something to expend a whole lot of energy on whether or not anybody else is. Arrogance has it's advantages!

Comment

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
            Point taken. I guess I am just too focused on whether or not I'm getting what I want out of something to expend a whole lot of energy on whether or not anybody else is. Arrogance has it's advantages!
            Actually, it does sound like a good attitude...

shester: sounds interesting. I'll check it out when I get a chance! But from your explanation: The theory sounds interesting that Mitchell got out of the plane and then did whatever he did to win the medal, but you'd think they would have shown that if that is what happened. Maybe they were saving it for later, but whenever it's shown now, it will look like backpedaling and will piss off some fans even more - the ones that complain that Mitchell's heroism and general "goodness" is being shoved down our throats.

Comment

I know I'm not a regular poster here, however, I adore Ben Browder and feel tptb are not using him to his full potential this season. Anyone else agree?
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by deSaintphalle
                I agree with this statement wholeheartedly--why did Reed have to die?
                I have to agree. Why they asked the Tok'ra to help? I think Reed's character would have accepted that. Him and Mitchell could see each other every so often.

I like seeing Mitchell's background with every episode. What I want to know is how he and Sam know each other?

Comment

Somebody answered the Tokra helping question on another forum and their response sounded plausible to me. I'll try to remember what they said. The Tokra don't want us!

Okay, it was a little more involved than that. The Tokra considered the symbiote that Jacob got to be corrupted by the willfullness of Jacob's brain. Jacob had too much influence on the symbiote. The Tokra started distrusting Jacob and didn't invite him to all the meetings and whatnot. The symbiote that was put temporarily in Jack also was influenced greatly by Jack. Humans were deemed not pliable enough to the Tokra and they found a more pliable society to give their symbiotes to. I don't remember all the episodes this stuff occured in, but I do remember all this stuff. It's probable that there are no symbiotes to share with Fergy.

My thought: Can a symbiote dislodge shrapnel? I know it can help the body heal, but can it do something like that? And I don't know much about medicine, but wasn't the shrapnel embedded in an artery or something? Wouldn't taking it out kill Fergy? Much too fast for a symbiote to heal? It'd be nice if a doctor would weigh in on this topic.

Lida: I definitely don't think Ben has been used to his full potential. He is such a great actor. I'm not sure Stargate can do that though, because Stargate isn't really that kind of show. I like it for what it is, but it isn't really an angst-ridden show, and Ben excels in that!

Actually, Farscape was probably the only angst-ridden show that I stuck with for so long. I'm usually more of the Stargate type of television-watcher -- which is what Farscape was more like in the beginning when it totally sucked me in.

Greytop: I would definitely like to know Sam and Mitchell's back story!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                    I know I'm not a regular poster here, however, I adore Ben Browder and feel tptb are not using him to his full potential this season. Anyone else agree?
                    Honestly, I'm not sure these writers really use any actor to their full potential. They do seem to be expending more effort on Mitchell than they did in the first half. And I have really liked a number of things that they have done. I'm genuinely curious to see where they go with the idea of "hot head" that they put out on the table. There’s an element of uncertainty that wasn’t there before. I'm curious to see if this is a shift in character for Cam or not. If it is a shift in character, I'm curious to see if they can make it flow naturally or if it seems out of place or too at odds with what came before.

In the end, I really just hope that they find ways to make Mitchell fun for Ben to play. I have no objections to them playing with the status quo if the end result plays as something positive for him. I just want to feel that Stargate offers Ben more than the chance to play stunt guy. I know he’s an athletic guy and enjoys that, but I'd also like to feel that he thinks the character is intriguing or fun. He’s too much of a thinking actor to not have that part of him challenged as well. I'd like to think this job offers more than a great work out or a paycheck. Hey, I know a paycheck is always great, but that's an awful lot of time to spend away from his family for just that.

Comment

It's Friday and I just want to go home to watch Stargate -- and I should actually be home tonight instead of recording it and watching it later! In honor of that [or actually, for no reason at all], I thought I'd give everyone a little Friday gift. I know we don't generally put pictures in this thread, but it's small [click to enlarge] and, well, whatever... It's Friday!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just checking something...

Comment

It's Friday and I just want to go home to watch Stargate -- and I should actually be home tonight instead of recording it and watching it later! In honor of that [or actually, for no reason at all], I thought I'd give everyone a little Friday gift. I know we don't generally put pictures in this thread, but it's small [click to enlarge] and, well, whatever... It's Friday!
                          That picture definitely merits an exception! Thanks for the pretty! RE is my favorite episode of season 9. Multiple versions of Cam ... where can I find a Xerox machine like that!

Counting down to Ethon, where we get:

Spoiler:
                          An opportunity to see Mitchell showing off his piloting skills.

Comment

Ripple Effect is my favorite episode so far, too. Before that it was the somewhat unpopular, The Ties That Bind.

I think I like the lighthearted non-arc adventures best.

Not that I don't love all the episodes with Mitchell in them! Can't wait for tonight's newest installment!

Comment

I do both when I'm home, ChillinTheMost. That way I can watch it later. Most people miss the little things when they watch it the first time, I know I do.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                                I do both when I'm home, ChillinTheMost. That way I can watch it later. Most people miss the little things when they watch it the first time, I know I do.
                                Count me in too as part of the tape and watch at the same time part of the audience. Little things are always the best part of Ben's performances. I don't usually miss them the first go round, but I definitely like to have the opportunity to experience them more than once.

Also people on some of the other threads sometimes infer that certain things happened a certain way when I don't really recall them happening that way. It's good to have the evidence on tape that they are wrong. Now if I could just find a way to play those things back to them in those threads!

Comment

Working...
                                X