This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

I liked Doig because she was very different from Fraiser, much more assertive and even condescending at times.
    aka Nur-ab-sal

"It's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of survival." -- William Adama

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
      Really? You don't think a female doc or scientist can be hot? Try again. You need glasses or are you just still stuck in the 60's?

As for Lexa Doig, sorry, but I didn't see any shades of Fraiser, I thought her acting was stilted, and tptb need a new technical advisor, because that "code" she ran was a joke! Vala wasn't even tubed. Give me a break.....
      I knew someone would inevitably take that the wrong way. I meant that the general perception of hot actresses is that they can't pull off "smart" roles. I don't know, maybe I'm just cynical from having recently watched the Fantastic Four movie, where they failed miserably to sell Jessica Alba as a genius geneticist. Stargate's always been great at portraying intelligent characters on both sides of the gender line, though, and Doig's Dr. Lam was no exception.

I thought Doig's inflections were similar to how Teryl Rothery portrayed Fraiser. The characters are definitely different, but they had the same kind of air to them, in my opinion. I can't say anything about how accurate her medical procedures were since I know even less about medicine than I do about the military, so I didn't notice that.
      Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
      Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
      Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
      Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

I knew Lexa was coming to be the new doc, but I hadn't heard she was (Beau Bridges) Landry's daughter. From the dialogue and reactions in Avalon 2 I thought she was an ex-wife or ex-girlfriend--though admittedly rather young for old Beau who is in his 50s I believe. He is the older of the Bridges *boys*, Jeff being younger.

I agree the code was badly done.You do need to oxygenate the person ,though not necessarily intubate them,while you are trying to jumpstart the heart . They did show someone *bagging* her but having done that myself, you need to get a good seal against the face and you really have to squeeze the bag hard to overcome the stiffness of the lungs.Also it looked as if she was trying to use the paddles thru Vala's robe,and way too high on the chest. The idea is to get the electrical current across the heart to jolt the sinus node into working--and you won't do that up around the neck. Maybe they need a medical advisor on set so she doesn't look foolish

As for women scientists and doctors not being attractive-- for shame! Of course there are some very lovely ladies, and some regular ones--just as there are with men.Why are all the StarGate males handsome,witty, brave, loyal etc etc. --'cause that's what viewers want to see.Which brings me to a pet peeve-- but a different thread I'm sure. Why does Major Shepherd(now Lt Col) NEVER comb his hair? It' very unmilitary of him. He was the ranking military man but now Caldwell outranks him. Will he comb or cut it now?????

I realize that's shorthand for being a maverick, don't obey the rules guy, but in the REAL Air Force--that hair would go fast!!

Which brings up another question probably already discussed. Why the heck is the AirForce(Planes etc) running the SG land exploring program? I know they get to fly cool jets and hyperspace etc etc now, but originally(say in the movie) were they Air Force or Marines?????????
        Last edited by TINemo; 24 July 2005, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
          Outside of her talk with Landry, I definitely saw some shades of Fraiser in Doig's performance. She runs into the same problem that any young, undeniably hot actress runs into in the role of a doctor or scientist--namely, that there's no way in hell she'd BE a doctor or scientist and she was likely just cast for her looks--but she definitely did a convincing job.

Well, she's in her 30s so she's old enough to be a doctor. And I think that doctors are allowed to be attractive. If you think she was convincing as the doctor, then I guess the pretty is an added bonus.

ETA: saw your "mea culpa" post. NEVER confuse Jessica Alba with an actress. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Redwall
            Yes.

I liked Doig because she was very different from Fraiser, much more assertive and even condescending at times.

[mod snip]

before that she was a b movie queen
            Last edited by Feli; 24 July 2005, 05:09 AM.

Comment

why do you people comment whether she can portray as a doc or whatever... who cares.. she's hot. period.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                how can she be there without triggering nepotism regulations, etc.
                Spoiler:
                She didn't look military in Avalon pt. 2
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I didn't like
                  Spoiler:
                  how she handled Vala being "dead". I mean, she was like "Ok, she's dead, next please!" A little too brash if you ask me. I miss Doc Frais's never leave a man behind on the operating table demeanor. Caroline's so far everything that creeps me out about doctors. *shudder*
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Personally, I'm going to give this new doc a chance. Let her develop a little before I judge her too harshly. So far, so good.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

So far we don't have much to go on, but I'd say one step above Dr. Dimbulb (Brightman?) from last season so far. Maybe Teryl Rotherty has more film presence-- I liked her right away.

Comment

all in all, i think she'll work out ok. yes, the medical code was poorly done. course, most tv shows so totally mess up medical procedures that i'm used to it

And to put on the mod hat for a moment. Nothing here has crossed the line yet, however there are a couple of rules that can apply to this thread

respect the actor/actress
                        keep the topic off thier personal lives
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think it's too early to tell about Lexa Doig's character Carolyn Lam. I agree that without reading the news brief, basing just on Avalon 2, I wouldn't know that Lam is Landry's daughter but would have guessed ex-lover.

There are definitely some hot scientists and doctors in real life (although I think there are definitely more in the biological sciences than the physical sciences but that's just b/c there are more females in the bio. sciences) but I think the point of that first post is that hot actress generally don't give a good portrayal of scientists and doctors but I think this is more due to the fact that many hot actresses simply can't act at all and only got the job due to their appearance.
                          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Against the regs - She looked like a civilian to me.

Air Force running the SGC - The Air Force has jurisdiction over anything to do with space. However, the Marine Corps play a big role in the actual field operations.

Comment

Well I liked her for her first appearance. But we really haven't gotten to see much of her so far. I'm sure she will work out fine as the new doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                                I didn't like
                                Spoiler:
                                how she handled Vala being "dead". I mean, she was like "Ok, she's dead, next please!" A little too brash if you ask me. I miss Doc Frais's never leave a man behind on the operating table demeanor. Caroline's so far everything that creeps me out about doctors. *shudder*
                                :lol.....If you ever watch ER, or actually work in trauma...it is a defense
                                mechanism of all medical staff. I found Lexa's portrayal as a doctor who
                                has experience seeing trauma and death many times very accurate and
                                far from the hollywood mold. Yes she is totally gorgeous and looks
                                like a kid....but yeah, she got all the technobable on the money and
                                the humanity and compassion when she isn't in the middle of a case.
                                I think the reason she did not show any feelings is that she had imediate concern with Jackson......she didn't have the time nor the luxury to grieve.....

Seeing Lexa on the set is a dream come true.
                                Last edited by dec55; 25 July 2005, 10:10 PM.
                                Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X