No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The superficial similarities are strong.
    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
      If anyone wants to post their own little review for Cold lazarus, or any related discussion or artwork then feel free as it is time in the schedule for this episode and SueKay must be busy etc.

Synopsis:

During a search through a yellow desert planet filled with blue crystals, Colonel Jack O’Neill inadvertently touches one and is knocked unconscious. A double of himself is created to examine the Tauri and returns to Earth, where he is set loose to explore Jack’s past and soon becomes an unwitting threat to society. (Synopsis by Stargate Wiki).

Favorite Lines:

TEAL'C: You received permission for me to fire my staff weapon in the Gate Room?
      [Daniel and Carter look shifty.]
      CARTER: Oh yeah.
      DANIEL: Absolutely.

O'NEILL: Tell you what, let me put it nicely…Get me the hell out of here!

HAMMOND: Teal'c, you'll have to leave that (staff weapon) here.
      TEAL'C: I have seen your world. I will need it.

ALIEN CHARLIE: You cannot change what happened that day, just as I cannot change the day that the Goa'uld destroyed my world. I am showing you what of Charlie is still there…inside you.

Favorite Scene:

For me, it is probably the scene that the first quote under ‘Favorite Lines’ is taken from. It certainly is not a shippy scene: Daniel and Sam, swept up in the puzzle of the blue crystals, coerce Teal’c to prove their hypothesis by shooting the broken crystals with his staff weapon to see if the damage was inflicted by Jaffa weapons. A humorous moment ensues when the technician asks what they are doing in the ‘gate room. Sure you asked permission…yeah…uh-huh… *exit stage right*.

General Review/Analysis:

This episode is primarily notable for its introduction of a non-human (and non-bipedal) sentient being, and for the struggle with Jack’s devastating personal history. I admitted to my spouse that this was a hard ep for me to rewatch –the theme of loss disturbs me deeply, but I also know that the strong emotional themes were the point.

We find that Teal’c still has not seen the outside world by this point in the series (and based on dialog between Sam and Daniel, the team has been together for months); that in itself seems sad (though I understand their security concerns).

We hear that Sam has a brother with kids, that they live in California, and that she doesn’t get to see them much –a fact she admits with regret. These are the first steps to giving her character more dimension. We also get to see Sam and Daniel working together with excited, upbeat attitudes –a brief glimpse of the friendship that in later episodes becomes a cornerstone of the group.

While it was crystal!Jack that grappled with the grief and reconciliation, the real Jack did speak with crystal!Charlie and Sarah, and seemed to progressively heal moving forward from this episode in the story arc.

Sam and Jack

After so much to say in Broca Divide, and First Commandment, this ep seems a positively dry shippy desert. There is some nice interaction in the locker room when crystal!Jack is looking at Jack’s box of broken memories.

This ep is more of a teambuilding exercise: Jack’s history is revealed to Sam and Teal’c (Daniel was already aware); Sam reveals a little of her own history, about her brother and his family; we get to see Sam and Daniel do their sciencey thing.

Personal note:
      I like Sarah in general. I can see the series of things that brought down their relationship. I can only believe that facing these moments helped Jack to begin healing and stood as a warning to him in the future when he and Sam finally got together –so that he could avoid the same pitfalls in their relationship. The advantage that Sam has is that she serves the same military that Jack does –she is in a unique position to understand him.

**I hope this was coherent -I wrote it late at night.

EDIT NOTE: The banner doesn't look right...it looks fine in Photobucket. ???
      http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...arusBanner.jpg
      Last edited by SaraBahama; 01 October 2012, 09:43 PM.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thank you. I really want to watch that episode now.
        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Thanks so much Sara for doing that, the banner looks great x
          sigpic
          Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Awesome review I love your banner
            sigpic

Comment

Seeing as I got a bit behind with my rewatch posts on LJ, here are my review posts for:

Emancipation

The Broca Divide (complete with yummy visual aids! )

Going to get the next two eps watched and reviewed in the next couple of days then I'll be up-to-date with the rest of you again Loving reading everyone's views on here so far!
              sigpic
              Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Years ago, I posted that I thought it was a little bit shippy (just a wee bit) that Sam tries to satisfy her curiosity about Jack when she asks Daniel for more information about him. Her query of "I didn't know the Colonel was married?" is natural curiosity of the hunky guy you work with. Most people here did not agree with me back then. I may be stretching it, but what else can you do with the ship-dry eps?
                sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                  Years ago, I posted that I thought it was a little bit shippy (just a wee bit) that Sam tries to satisfy her curiosity about Jack when she asks Daniel for more information about him. Her query of "I didn't know the Colonel was married?" is natural curiosity of the hunky guy you work with. Most people here did not agree with me back then. I may be stretching it, but what else can you do with the ship-dry eps?
                  SGSuzi and I just watched the episode and I did like that bit... definitely the shippiest or the only shippy bit of the entire episode. We noticed that Sam was acting a little more relaxed when she was trying to hold a conversation with Jack about his family. It's amazing to see how much she's changed even in this first season. I wonder if she's a little more open because she's trusted them with her past and they were there for her when she dealt with her ex.

I also love the friendship between Sam and Daniel. Even from the beginning they had a bond over their never ending search for knowledge. I also noticed that he is still calling her Captain Doctor which is so funny
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                    I think that Sam wants to know more about him and tries to get him (or alien him, but she doesn't know that at the time) to open up and share something of his personal life with her is an important first step in laying the foundation for the ship. At this point we see that Sam and Daniel are tight and even Teal'c is part of the gang - S&D run into his room like children asking if big brother will play with them - but Jack is still very much a man apart. Sam only knows him as the Colonel and suggests that she thought that was all there was to him. So I'm with you on this one. It's not that Sam is interested in him as a possible romantic partner right now, but she is interested in him as a person. And where Sara was never able to fully get past Jack's armor, Sam is in a position one day (far in the future at this point) to push it aside completely. This is the beginning of that transformation.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I think that Sam wants to know more about him and tries to get him (or alien him, but she doesn't know that at the time) to open up and share something of his personal life with her is an important first step in laying the foundation for the ship. At this point we see that Sam and Daniel are tight and even Teal'c is part of the gang - S&D run into his room like children asking if big brother will play with them - but Jack is still very much a man apart. Sam only knows him as the Colonel and suggests that she thought that was all there was to him. So I'm with you on this one. It's not that Sam is interested in him as a possible romantic partner right now, but she is interested in him as a person. And where Sara was never able to fully get past Jack's armor, Sam is in a position one day (far in the future at this point) to push it aside completely. This is the beginning of that transformation.
                      I agree with you. Wholeheartedly.

Comment

Ok I've got a few banners to go with this episode made by a few of our Shippers

made by JasminaGo

made by Ikorni

made by Jumble
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Very well said, especially the bolded part, which I agree with completely
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think it's very normal to ask about a colleague's family? I would be surprised too if I'd been working side by side with someone for a few months and then suddenly I find out s/he's married and has a kid that they never talk about (while everyone else - except Teal'c at that time - talks about their family/loved ones). Plus Sam never saw him wearing a ring (or taking it off prior to going on a mission) and he easily could have said something about his wife or just relationships in general when she talked about her crazy ex-fiance or when Daniel mentioned Sha're. Not to announce he had a family but more like being able to relate to their problems, since he was married too.

EDIT:
                            Then again, maybe I'm just too curious. Plus, I usually don't know what to talk about with people I've just met (I suck at small talk) so I tend to ask them all kinds of questions, including if they're with someone and/or have a family to avoid those awkward silences.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think it's very normal to ask about a colleague's family? I would be surprised too if I'd been working side by side with someone for a few months and then suddenly I find out s/he's married and has a kid that they never talk about (while everyone else - except Teal'c at that time - talks about their family/loved ones). Plus Sam never saw him wearing a ring (or taking it off prior to going on a mission) and he easily could have said something about his wife or just relationships in general when she talked about her crazy ex-fiance or when Daniel mentioned Sha're. Not to announce he had a family but more like being able to relate to their problems, since he was married too.

EDIT:
                              Then again, maybe I'm just too curious. Plus, I usually don't know what to talk about with people I've just met (I suck at small talk) so I tend to ask them all kinds of questions, including if they're with someone and/or have a family to avoid those awkward silences.
                              Well, at this point in the series, Jack's family consists of a deceased son and an estranged (divorce-pending, I assume, if not already formalized) wife. Both points, I assume, Jack would count as personal failings and therefore would not be keen to talk about it. Especially about Charlie. That's not exactly small talk.

In my time in the military, I've only learned as much about my colleagues as they wanted to share, even when asked-- and that's not something I ever did until they volunteered information first. When family life is good, and they can brag about their kids, they do so. When they've got peeves to complain about regarding their wives and husbands, they do. At great length. But there is a line, and once its hit, good luck trying to get information out of them. That's a good way to get shut out.

So it makes sense to me that Sam doesn't know. She wouldn't have pried, and so if Jack didn't volunteer the information (and I don't believe he would, not without someone like Daniel asking all those pointed questions) she wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                                Well, at this point in the series, Jack's family consists of a deceased son and an estranged (divorce-pending, I assume, if not already formalized) wife. Both points, I assume, Jack would count as personal failings and therefore would not be keen to talk about it. Especially about Charlie. That's not exactly small talk.

In my time in the military, I've only learned as much about my colleagues as they wanted to share, even when asked-- and that's not something I ever did until they volunteered information first. When family life is good, and they can brag about their kids, they do so. When they've got peeves to complain about regarding their wives and husbands, they do. At great length. But there is a line, and once its hit, good luck trying to get information out of them. That's a good way to get shut out.

So it makes sense to me that Sam doesn't know. She wouldn't have pried, and so if Jack didn't volunteer the information (and I don't believe he would, not without someone like Daniel asking all those pointed questions) she wouldn't know.
                                I agree Jack is a very closed off person and wouldn't volunteer information about himself.. I know its a different actor, but even in the movie Daniel didn't find out about Charlie from Jack (unless I'm wrong :X) the other officers told him about Jack's family life. And at this point in the series Sam is still very much the fresh young officer and doesn't want to insult her superior officer by prying, she's still just getting her feet wet. But it's nice to see that she's starting to settle in a little more with her team. They've earned her trust.. and I don't think Jack is at the point yet especially with all the demons he has hiding in his closet.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X