Stargate SG-1 Rewatch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Well, I won't be here tomorrow so I'm hoping that I won't have to talk to myself again when I get back later in the evening. It's kinda lonely here, on my lonesome.

Fire & Water

Psychological whump, physical whump... as a whumper this one caters all. This episode is sooooo one of my favorites. I totally love it!

Fraiser pretty much ordering General Hammond how to proceed next with SG1.

And I must say that I really miss the diversity in historical references -- so far we've had Egyptian gods, Norse mythology, Greek mythology, ... now Babylon and akkadian cuneiform. They'll loose that over time, so I'm going to cherish the moment.

Also, Daniel's apartment is a museum -- no need to build a new one for his collection. Reminds me a little of the Petrie Museum in London before they moved that stuff to the newly build museum. It had the same kind of atmosphere as that apartment.
    Speaking of Daniel's "Museum" ... makes me wonder where all that stuff came from. He supposedly lost his apartment before he was recruited in the Stargate movie. So did he put all his stuff in storage before going to Abydos, and he then got it out when he returned to earth? And who paid the storage bill while he was gone if he didn't have much money? His apartment was rather crowded with all his stuff and books and everything else he seemed to own.

Comment

I really am going too fast here, aren't I? -- I'm starting to have abandonment issues here...
      I'm not blaming you, because I watch shows the same way - I binge them, and then go back later and rewatch - but yeah, you're going too fast.

Brief Candle

The first time I saw this one I loved the way they showed the rapid aging - first it's a baby then it's a small child. This is my favorite kind of sci-fi, the mystery kind, as opposed to the kill-the-big-bad kind.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      In spite of how forgiving Sam is, I think there would be a few trust issues between her and the guys after this mission, since they pretty much abandoned her
      That's a good point. I get that they wanted to show that she's self-sufficient but, would they have abandoned her if she was a male member of the team and there was no (kind of pandering) reason to have to show that yes, she can take care of herself (of course she can)? If you see what I mean?

Fire & Water

I loved the what-the-hell of this one too.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
        I got the idea in this thread, where someone posted it, and I did say "early days."
        The self destruct was rarely used after "The Enemy Within". It was set off in "Prisoners" and "Message in a Bottle", but not by people of the SGC. It was halted with seconds to spare in those episodes.

In fact, I think it was the only time in Season 1 when the self-destruct was set off.

Comment

Ah ok. I didn't notice it at all in the earlier episodes, or at least I didn't remember noticing it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bradjohnson View Post
            The Enemy Within

One thing that I wasn't happy with this episode is how fast Kawalsky died. I felt like I was just getting to know him.
            I felt like it was a solid follow-up episode to the pilot: continues building the characters and gives us some more info on the effects of goa'uld possession, as you said.

It was a shame that Kawalsky was killed so early in the series, but I have found that is a typical plot device in a lot of sci-fi. The death of a friend / likable character gives the rest of them a personal stake in the war / battle / whatever. I also found that in this particular instance, it gave us an opportunity to see the 'hardness' of Jack - the special ops past that they refer to, that he can and does make the really hard decisions (protecting the base & honoring his promise to his friend) regardless of personal cost.

mm

Comment

Magrathea?
              Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy --> Magrathea

Speaking of Daniel's "Museum" ... makes me wonder where all that stuff came from. He supposedly lost his apartment before he was recruited in the Stargate movie. So did he put all his stuff in storage before going to Abydos, and he then got it out when he returned to earth? And who paid the storage bill while he was gone if he didn't have much money? His apartment was rather crowded with all his stuff and books and everything else he seemed to own.
              Maybe Jack kept it in storage for him. Maybe...

I'm not blaming you, because I watch shows the same way - I binge them, and then go back later and rewatch - but yeah, you're going too fast.
              I'll take it easier...
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hathor

It's the aliens-made-them-do-it episode... Yay!

Yeah, not really...

I just like this episode cause it has the women kick butt, and Fraiser just looks adorkably cute running around with that big weapon.

Daniel got raped by a Goa'uld... date-raped no less. Poor man!

Not much else to add really.

Okay, one more thing actually... the birds & the bees of the Goa'uld, very informative but let's not go back there. Kay!

Comment

Originally posted by bradjohnson View Post
                  The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within is a good episode because it familiarizes you with the teams home base. The Stargate Command. It also fills you in on some info on the Goau'ld. You learn how some part of the host must survive. This brings hope for Daniel Jackson's wife, etc. Also, Teal'c displays courage and honor by showing his loyalty in helping them.

One thing that I wasn't happy with this episode is how fast Kawalsky died. I felt like I was just getting to know him.
                  I was surprised when Kawalsky was lost so early on, I guess it made for more drama losing a character that already made an impression as a likeable character with a great future. It was sad watching him saying he was looking forward to his first command with such a tone of regret, he knew he possibly wouldn't survive.

I liked this episode for the great revelation that the "world that was thought lost, the world of the Tau'ri" turned out to be the one Teal'c ended up on, it was Earth and Earth could be the salvation of the enslaved galaxy. This time round I did wonder about the bit where Teal'c looked surprised on learning of this, but he seemed to know the Earth 'Tau'ri' symbol when Daniel drew it in the sand when Teal'c asked where they came from in Children of the Gods and quickly scrubbed it out so it wasn't seen by his fellow Jaffa.

Emancipation - Mainly a showcase to show that soldier Sam is all woman under that uniform!!! Not one of my favourites of season 1.

The Broca Divide
                  I love this episode cause it's the first time we see Janet and I totally love her.
                  But beyond that this one's definitely one of my favorites. I mean, they go out there and something's bound to bite them in the butt, and this episode shows for the second time in just three episode (counting COTG as one) that stuff can go wrong real fast.
                  The whole base under lockdown, and characters reverting back to a primal stage. We're doomed!
                  I'm kind of disappointed they didn't bring more ancient civilizations into the stories, but the Minoan touch was nice nonetheless. I really liked the set.
                  The Broca Divide - Already has SG-1 humour at its best….and the great interactions between Daniel and Jack.

DANIEL: What, she start a fight with you like Johnson did with Teal'c?
                  O'NEILL: No, she uh, she tried to seduce me.
                  DANIEL: Oh. You poor man.

I too liked how things went wrong in SG-1's early days, it was really a case of blundering through the galaxy and learning from mistakes. It was this that was missing from the later SG-1 and SGA for me, things got too easy and they could deal with all alien technology and enemies 'just like that!' Perhaps one of the reasons why I liked SGU, that sense of not having a clue what was out there, and things going wrong was brought back.

I too liked the set in this, it really did give a great feel of an ancient civilisation that existed on Earth at some point, but now only known by its ruins. It was great to share Daniel's awe with seeing a living breathing ancient Earth culture and the set really helped create that idea.

The 'Broca Divide' was the episode that first introduced me to Stargate all those years ago!

The First Commandment - One of the episodes that reminds me of how much darker the early SG-1 was, and this episode being more like an SGU one, where members of the SGC do less than noble things to their fellow team members out of fear or misguided beliefs. I guess this is why this one is so out there with Jonas’ cruelty and despicable acts to keep control over a life he decided he liked, being worshipped as a God.

Comment

Singularity

The episode in which O'Neill shows he's smarter than he makes himself look. Loved Daniel's surprised What did you just say?... ...and initially he didn't spy on the neighbors. I have to say having a telescope myself, it's very tempting not to.

Nirrti's really bad-ass, and yet she'll make it into my favorite Goa'uld-list nonetheless.

Random note to the pyrotechnics crew: you should hide where you buried your explosions better cause the crater was there before the deathglider had even hit the ground. But I noticed only once.

Carter's pretty good with kids (must be cause she's an auntie). I like how Daniel was right there, offering his help and telling her she isn't alone (kinda a mirror scene to the one in season 5's Rite of Passage where he pretty much says the same to Fraiser).

Of course Janet's gonna keep Cassandra -- there's no one more qualified (no outsider anyway). However, I sincerely hope she doesn't have to count allergic to dogs to her already extensive allergy-collection. The every-kid-has-to-have-a-dog-rule might not go over well.

Btw, that dog looked really fluffy, though he was shedding hair by the gazillion if Jack's shirt was any indication.

Comment

I had only watched Singularity once, so I forgot about that dog at the end. I wonder how many hapless adults had to explain this was fiction to the kids watching the show with them. "But Dad it's a RUUUULLLLE!"

The first time I watched it, I thought Sam was going to stay there even though she thought they'd blow up. This time, I realized that maybe that wasn't the case.
                      sigpic

Comment

Singularity
                        Btw, that dog looked really fluffy, though he was shedding hair by the gazillion if Jack's shirt was any indication.

The dog used looked like a Shiba Inu to me and they go through a phase where they shed their coats in HUGE great lumps...I think it's called "blowing coat" and I've seen pics of lumps of fur the size of Tumbleweed ....perhaps Cassie's dog was about to "blow"

Adorable dogs though...I fell in love with them when featured on the world famous "puppy cam" ...hard to train, but that one looked really well behaved in Rick's arms...

Deeds xx
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                        MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

The First Commandment

This episode is not a favorite of mine but I appreciate it's concept. I love the idea of someone losing their mind and believing that they are God. It was bound to happen with all these people bowing to them.

My favorite part of this episode though is the part that Sam goes down to stop the villager from being beaten. Daniel says, "We should've stopped her," and Teal'c responds, "We would've failed." That part always cracks me up!

Comment

The First Commandment
                            And a new piece of Goa'uld technology, which will be re-used in Stargate Atlantis in season 1 as ... you never guess... a shield generator to protect a bunch of kids from being culled by the Wraith.
                            I never noticed that before! Wow, that's awesome! =D

Comment

The Broca Divide

Better late than never lol

This episode is actually one of my favorites of season one. The team goes to a new planet and brings back what could be a new plague. When in reality the fix for this wound up being fairly simple and it was just something in the people of the light's diet.

Teal'c shows a huge part in this episode because it was up to him to help everyone at the end. He definitely showed his true colors in this episode helping Stargate Command and the people of the light.

Comment

The first time I watched it, I thought Sam was going to stay there even though she thought they'd blow up. This time, I realized that maybe that wasn't the case.
                                I originally thought the same the first time I watched Singularity. I thought that Sam was going to stay there. I'm glad that Same stayed and figured out what was wrong! Go Sam!

Comment

Working...
                                X