Stargate SG-1 Rewatch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradjohnson View Post
    All in all a great episode to start a wonderful series!
    Agreed!

One of the things that always strikes me when I watch Children of the Gods (original version; I haven't seen the revised version yet) is that despite the technical and continuity "oopsies," the chemistry is there immediately. I care about the characters, and they seem to care about each other. I also love how they lay the foundation for everybody's character. We see Daniel's wonder and curiosity and rushing in where angels fear to tread. We get Sam being brilliant and proactive, and see her wonder & curiosity as well, and see the beginnings of her intellectual connection with Daniel. I love Teal'c's stoicness as he chooses a course of action and sticks to it without any hint of what it means to him personally. And, of course, seeing Jack's military mind and gut instinct (eg bringing Teal'c back despite who/what he is), as well as his devotion to his team.

Comment

The two-way gate: I'm guessing that at some point they realized a one-way trip would make for better stories. Ditto the 38 minute window. If the gate is just standing there open all day they're in a lot less danger, except maybe from other worlds' people or cows and chickens wandering through the gate into SG headquarters.
      sigpic

Comment

It's just fun watching all the things in the pilot that were discarded pretty quickly. The team flying out of the Stargate and landing heavily as well as covered in a layer of ice. The creaky over the top use of the music going continuously it seems. The helmets and huge back packs. The cringe worthy dialogue when Jack first meets "Captain, Doctor" Carter!!

I do like the way the continuity with the movie was kept and in the original version (which is the one I watched on this occasion) the discussion between Kawalsky and Jack about his son was good, I liked that they picked up on that and let Jack talk about it.

I still think the scene in the hall on Abydos with the Stargate maps is a great one, it's here where the team learn the awesome truth about the gates, they go to other places! The set was awe inspiring and really worked to give that sense of the team being so small in the scheme of things. I've always enjoyed watching the way locations and sets were used in Stargate and how effectively they added to the story, or not in some cases. Chulak looked vast and mysterious with the mists weaving around the mountains, it did look like another world to me when I first saw it, living in the UK at the time.

Totally agree Magickmoons, the chemistry between the characters was there straight away, the other two series' never captured that as quickly as SG-1 did for me. Coupled with the endless possibilities for adventure, how we see them learn and change as they experience new things, Stargate SG-1 was a hit for me from the first moment I discovered it by chance when channel surfing way back in 1998!

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
          The two-way gate: I'm guessing that at some point they realized a one-way trip would make for better stories. Ditto the 38 minute window. If the gate is just standing there open all day they're in a lot less danger, except maybe from other worlds' people or cows and chickens wandering through the gate into SG headquarters.
          -- can you imagine the look on the guards' faces when those chickens and cows come wandering into the gateroom.

: "General, sir, we have a situation in the gateroom."
          : "What kind of situation, Sergeant?"
          : "Cows, Sir."
          : "Cows?!"
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'd kind of like to see that episode now that you describe it. It sounds fun.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
              I'd kind of like to see that episode now that you describe it. It sounds fun.
              I'm tempted to write the fic.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I could give you some technical reason but the simple reason TPTB messed up. The first few seasons of SG1 have continuity errors that are just ignored as the Stargate world is fleshed out. The Jaffa undergo many story changes as the series develops
                I believe it. You can tell that after the third season too that they had ideas that were developing that they didn't think about before the series began. This could be half of why some of the episodes have errors like that. It's funny to watch back and see stuff like that!

Comment

Originally posted by magickmoons View Post
                  Agreed!

One of the things that always strikes me when I watch Children of the Gods (original version; I haven't seen the revised version yet) is that despite the technical and continuity "oopsies," the chemistry is there immediately. I care about the characters, and they seem to care about each other. I also love how they lay the foundation for everybody's character. We see Daniel's wonder and curiosity and rushing in where angels fear to tread. We get Sam being brilliant and proactive, and see her wonder & curiosity as well, and see the beginnings of her intellectual connection with Daniel. I love Teal'c's stoicness as he chooses a course of action and sticks to it without any hint of what it means to him personally. And, of course, seeing Jack's military mind and gut instinct (eg bringing Teal'c back despite who/what he is), as well as his devotion to his team.
                  It is definitely the reason I watched the series to begin with. You can tell the actors cared about their roles and not only that but their roles cared about each other! Watching their relationships develop in this series is great!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    I still think the scene in the hall on Abydos with the Stargate maps is a great one, it's here where the team learn the awesome truth about the gates, they go to other places!
                    Agreed! This scene is my favorite scene of Children of the Gods. Not only is it overwhelming for the characters that there is more out there, but as a watcher it makes you get sucked in to the possibilities!

Comment

The Enemy Within

Those were the days when there was still talk about the embarcation room, the self-destruct activated every time an incoming wormhole was established, guards rushing forward in case the titanium shield wouldn't hold... Kennedy talking about how America is the only important part of the world when he discusses the thread-level with Hammond (...our country has ever seen -- no mention of the world whatsoever).

Comment

Emancipation

Emancipation -- SG1 meddling in other people's affairs, and Carter kicking butt. Pretty much how I see this episode. The old laws, always there when you need them, just in time to safe the day.

Carter's dress - please don't do that again or she really will have to eat that headdress. Whoever came up with that idea should be shot. So not flattering... ...and as Carter mentioned, not comfortable either.

And I fully believe her when she says she can't cook. Did see that poor attempt at chopping -- her fingers wouldn't survive even one meal. Besides she has far better usage for the knife anyway.

Comment

The Broca Divide

I love this episode cause it's the first time we see Janet and I totally love her.

But beyond that this one's definitely one of my favorites. I mean, they go out there and something's bound to bite them in the butt, and this episode shows for the second time in just three episode (counting COTG as one) that stuff can go wrong real fast.

The whole base under lockdown, and characters reverting back to a primal stage. We're doomed!

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't bring more ancient civilizations into the stories, but the Minoan touch was nice nonetheless. I really liked the set.

Comment

The Enemy Within

The Enemy Within is a good episode because it familiarizes you with the teams home base. The Stargate Command. It also fills you in on some info on the Goau'ld. You learn how some part of the host must survive. This brings hope for Daniel Jackson's wife, etc. Also, Teal'c displays courage and honor by showing his loyalty in helping them.

One thing that I wasn't happy with this episode is how fast Kawalsky died. I felt like I was just getting to know him.

Comment

Emancipation

This episode is really important because it's the team's first mission together with their final member, Teal'c. I loved how much humor was in this episode. =) I loved how Sam is a central part of the story. This episode also shows what their intentions are, by making allies for the first time and bringing a medicinal plant back to Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Emancipation
                                Carter's dress - please don't do that again or she really will have to eat that headdress. Whoever came up with that idea should be shot. So not flattering... ...and as Carter mentioned, not comfortable either.
                                Apparently it was working for Jack =P lol

Comment

Working...
                                X