This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
    Not quite, and Jack and Daniel were also under the influence of Seth's drug but they didn't cave. Guess they are just made of sterner stuff.
    Or they've got a slight resistance given their exposure to Hathor - it took Hathor a matter of seconds to get control of Daniel and not much longer with Jack. It was considerably longer with Seth and Sam.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
      Or they've got a slight resistance given their exposure to Hathor - it took Hathor a matter of seconds to get control of Daniel and not much longer with Jack. It was considerably longer with Seth and Sam.
      Jacob insisted that the stuff Seth was using wasn't the same as the stuff Hathor used. It was just one example of why Sam is unfit to outrank Mitchell. Time after time she has shown she is too weak to lead. She makes an okay follower but will never be a good leader.
      sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightspore View Post
        Mitchell *has* a presence? Sheesh. Invisible Jack had much more of a presence than Mitchell has ever had, IMO.
        I quite agree. I think they did better with Mitchell in the second half of Season 10 but by that time it was way too late.

And while I don't dislike the character as much as I used to, my opinion that it was a ridiculous idea to place him in command of that team still stands. He didn't have the training nor experience.

My gut feeling was and is that TPTB wanted to keep Carter in a "all geek all the time/2IC" box and revert the show back to where they had a dashing leading man/action hero team leader. The problem for me was the show seemed to have evolved away from that mold...or at least it had as of Season 8. Carter as a character had evolved to be more than just a scientist/2IC and so it never made sense to me for them to try to fit her back into something she had been two seasons and two commands ago.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

From Seth:

O'NEILL: Jacob, can we assume some kind of brainwashing is going on in there?

JACOB: It's probably Nish'ta. It's a biological compound that inhaled infects all tissue in you body, including your brain. It tends to make your mind extremely pliable.

DANIEL: That's like what Hathor used.

JACOB: It's stronger. It's more encompassing.

TEAL'C: I believe that is the substance used on Rya'c.

Um... that's the episode I watched
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Jacob insisted that the stuff Seth was using wasn't the same as the stuff Hathor used. It was just one example of why Sam is unfit to outrank Mitchell. Time after time she has shown she is too weak to lead. She makes an okay follower but will never be a good leader.
            Taken from the "Seth" transcript

JACOB: It's probably Nish'ta. It's a biological compound that inhaled infects all tissue in you body, including your brain. It tends to make your mind extremely pliable.

Even if it wasn't the same, Hathor's was probably a derivative of Nish'ta.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              From Seth:

Um... that's the episode I watched
              Originally posted by PengYn View Post
              Taken from the "Seth" transcript

Even if it wasn't the same, Hathor's was probably a derivative of Nish'ta.

Ooooops flynn got it wrong again.

No fair!!
              Using canon isn't fair I tells ya!!
              -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                Ooooops flynn got it wrong again.

No fair!!
                Using canon isn't fair I tells ya!!
                Sorry Rox, but cannon is all I have, unless you want me to make things up
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                  I quite agree. I think they did better with Mitchell in the second half of Season 10 but by that time it was way too late.

And while I don't dislike the character as much as I used to, my opinion that it was a ridiculous idea to place him in command of that team still stands. He didn't have the training nor experience.

My gut feeling was and is that TPTB wanted to keep Carter in a "all geek all the time/2IC" box and revert the show back to where they had a dashing leading man/action hero team leader. The problem for me was the show seemed to have evolved away from that mold...or at least it had as of Season 8. Carter as a character had evolved to be more than just a scientist/2IC and so it never made sense to me for them to try to fit her back into something she had been two seasons and two commands ago.
                  That chimes with the idea they had of taking the show back to feel like earlier seasons (silly me, when I read them say that I thought of team, and exploration ).
                  Unfortunately, not only had Carter moved and grown, they couldn't decide who was their leading man/action hero. Most of them seemed to think it was Jackson. Leaving Mitchell looking lost, and fairly useless.

Comment

Sigh. It's not the same if it's stronger, more encompasing now is it? You have just proved me right ...again. Sam caved, Jack and Daniel didn't, even though it was stronger, more encompasing then the other different stuff Hathor had used. Get it now kids??
                    sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Sorry Rox, but cannon is all I have, unless you want me to make things up
                      Well in case you do want to make stuff up I can recommend a forum where it is actually encouraged

I really don't care about who ranks who, all I ever wanted was decent characters and stories. Unfortunately Coop managed to ruin that for quite a few people.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                        That chimes with the idea they had of taking the show back to feel like earlier seasons (silly me, when I read them say that I thought of team, and exploration ).
                        Unfortunately, not only had Carter moved and grown, they couldn't decide who was their leading man/action hero. Most of them seemed to think it was Jackson. Leaving Mitchell looking lost, and fairly useless.
                        Yea, Mitchell did come off that way, and Jackson was just too OOC to be cosidered Daniel anymore.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Yea, Mitchell did come off that way, and Jackson was just too OOC to be cosidered Daniel anymore.
                          It's funny. I actually typed Daniel, then went back and changed it.

Originally posted by RealmOfX
                          I really don't care about who ranks who, all I ever wanted was decent characters and stories. Unfortunately Coop managed to ruin that for quite a few people.
                          Me either. I just wanted a bit of logic.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            Yes, shame on her for being influenced by an alien brainwashing drug... hang on a second - wasn't Seth's nishta the same type of drug Hathor used on the men of the SGC in Season One?

I guess that means that Jack, Daniel, Hammond and every male on the base (with the exception of Teal'c, of course) are all fully responsible for their actions while under Hathor's influence.
                            Sigh. It's not the same if it's stronger, more encompasing now is it? You have just proved me right ...again. Sam caved, Jack and Daniel didn't, even though it was stronger, more encompasing then the other different stuff Hathor had used. Get it now kids??
                            Perhaps you lost plot? ReganX didn't say it was the same.

Nah, you're just having a little trouble with comprehension I see, no biggie.
                            -

Comment

Well see that's kind of my point.

Jackson grated on my nerves when that incarnation first reared its ugly head in Season 9 and continued to annoy every time he showed up. It made me really miss Daniel and highlighted the show's desperate attempt to return to a format that (I had thought) it had grown out of. I don't know who made what decision when, but it was like someone figured out that Mitchell as crafted didn't make much sense and so they tried to make Daniel into something he wasn't for the sake of fitting that original formula. So not only was Mitchell acting a bit schizophrenic as he bounced back and forth between serious Air Force fighter pilot hero and buffoon, Daniel too suffered the same fate by shifting from Daniel Jackson: scientist/scholar/hero to ActionJackson. Meanwhile Carter is shoved to the back with Teal'c. It just didn't work for me.

I had assumed we'd see a continuing evolution of what we saw in Season 8...with Carter in command but now with a new team mate...an upstart major who didn't care for her leadership or had different ideas and made his displeasure known. I would have enjoyed seeing her struggle with an officer she was maybe stuck with for political reasons and then watching this team deal with these internal conflicts while still having to go out and save the galaxy. I think that kind of evolution would have been great for the team and the characters and would have flowed a lot more naturally.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Me either. I just wanted a bit of logic.
                                but logic would entail following your own show's cannon and making sure the new characters fit into the show, not changing the show to fit the new underdeveloped characters.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X