• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I had an apothecary. " Smee.
    "I think you mean an epiphany" Hook.
    "lightnin, just struck ma brain." Smee
    "That must hurt...."Hook.

My field is.....jack of all trades, I know a little bit about every field of science but am not even close to expert level in any. Probably the most I know about is metallurgy and detailed atomic/subatomic theory.

I have a crap load of miscellaneous information tucked away in that thing in my head, and all kinds of useless things about tons of different scifi shows/books/games.

I am mostly self educated l.o.l. Internet ftw.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      i had an epiphany:

i talk too much
      Only took you four years to figure it out

But I usually enjoy the over talking, I always feel like I learned something or I skip it
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
        "I had an apothecary. " Smee.
        "I think you mean an epiphany" Hook.
        "lightnin, just struck ma brain." Smee
        "That must hurt...."Hook.

My field is.....jack of all trades, I know a little bit about every field of science but am not even close to expert level in any. Probably the most I know about is metallurgy and detailed atomic/subatomic theory.

I have a crap load of miscellaneous information tucked away in that thing in my head, and all kinds of useless things about tons of different scifi shows/books/games.

I am mostly self educated l.o.l. Internet ftw.
        Ah yes, Duston Hoffman and Robin Wiliams and Bob Hoskins, good movie Hook was

Now then, back onto the topic at hand, The idea of a ZPM being rechargible makes me nervous....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post

But I usually enjoy the over talking, I always feel like I learned something or I skip it
          Unless you're Hymie, then you really skip it

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
            Sorry to digress for a moment, but it was something I lamented about in one of Tom's threads where the issues of sensors in scifi are so poorly handled.
            Which thread was that? It makes me nervous when I can't remember technical details.

i had an epiphany:

i talk too much
            1270693145305.jpg

Comment

That picture just made my day. Thanks, Tom.
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                That picture just made my day. Thanks, Tom.
                *bows*

Comment

yep. it's why i have a bigger post count than Tep.

Tom: i wanted to green you but i already greened you too much so

The idea of a ZPM being rechargible makes me nervous....
                  i can understand some of your reservations. one of the reasons i think there's a threshold is because Earth never even remotely attempted the recharge. it's possible that the system, to put it bluntly, has to be thrown in "reverse". it's also possible there are failsafes which prevent current from flowing back.

or, a ZPM can not accept energy as electricity. it's likely that the internal wormhole is too small for mass to go through, otherwise you'd have the perfect powersource. i personally think that ZPM's emit energy not as electrons but as Kiron energy, as someone pointed out on other threads that such energy could simply not be transmitted by electrons for such a small object.

i am trying to figure out why a ZPM has a self-contained region of subspace and not one of normal space.

Comment

Originally posted by killman
                    i can learn you a good sense of science, and after i read Blackluster's post i believe we just gained an expert/well informed person (never knew you knew that much about sensors) in a new field. i personally know little of that field.

my field is Mechanic Engineering and i'm learning the fine art of design. which is currently why i approach ship design and tech design the way i do. weak points are inevitable. the only failure you can make is designing something that doesn't do what it's supposed to do.
                    I'm not sure what your personal interests are or where you intend to specialize, but even a mech eng student will eventually run into aspects of what I was talking about, particularly when you come to studying measurement and instrumentation. For instance, a mech eng student can eventually specialize in robotics, in which sensors and the ability to detect and measure metrics in the physical world becomes very important.

As a mech student you'd also be able to appreciate the extreme engineering requirements simply for sensor components, never mind the sensor suite as a whole. Optical sensors for instance can have a physical requirement for a mirror component that has a surface area of 3 m^2 but cannot have any deviation of more than 4 microns across the entire surface. When you consider those extremes required to manufacture a mere component of a sensor, it really puts into perspective how the science fiction genre over simplifies that engineering discipline.

but these principles apply to everything. for our project we designed a beer-bottle mover and the initial design was purely based upon gut feeling. it turned out to be quite right.

i myself use "digital data" because it combines the usefulness of knowing something with the benefits of not knowing it. you kind of know what you want and you can play with that. i know where i want my characters to come from and go to, and that's useful when writing it as you can stay true to the characters without needing endless lists of facts.
                    Yes, that is the core idea of Systems based Design. Starting at the outside and working your way in, defining the problem before leaping ahead to the solution. That skill of deconstructing a problem is why some joke that you actually want engineers running the world rather than politicians. Or make a stipulation that any politician who wants to govern has to have a degree in engineering before he/she can be accepted into leadership.

@Tom: I can't recall what the thread was, I just remember us talking briefly about sensor tech in scifi and how the genre has generally cocked it up.

EDIT: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...ate-Technology

there it is, page 3 or 4 of this section.
                    Last edited by blackluster; 30 September 2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

As a mech student you'd also be able to appreciate the extreme engineering requirements simply for sensor components, never mind the sensor suite as a whole.
                      my control system teacher gives me a headache on a regular basis.

Comment

Oh I thought of something last night before unconsciousness, elements are made in stars through fusion, hydrogen into helium e.c.t, would a really big blue giant, like, i.d.k, 30 solar masses be able to fuse iron into naquadah when it went nova or something? Something along those lines. Or if not a blue giant, perhaps a "type Ex" star, a massive star that contains exotic particles/kirons.

Those stars would die in a few million years correct? So naquadah would replenish itself in a relatively short period of time.

Just a hypothesis.

Oh, someone asked how afraid the Houjin are of the Goa'uld.
                        I am not sure if afraid is the right word. Cautious would be better. They know that in a class for class 1 on 1 fight, their vessels are far superior to any standard Goa'uld ship, as are their warriors.(Houjin melee weapons can go through Kull armor.)

But their fleet is rather outnumbered. So they have been building up forces comparatively slowly for somewhere around 400 years, catching up to the Goa'uld. They have a rather sizable fleet at their disposal now. They wanted to make sure they would WIN when they struck.

Since the Replicator attack they have fixed all the damage, and built more ships.<How long has it been since season 8?

Another thing, are there any advantages to helium fusion over tritium or deuterium? There are isotopes of helium right? Just like deuterium and tritium are isotopes of hydrogen. If there are advantages, what are the disadvantages? I would imagine that helium, being heavier then hydrogen, would take more energy to fuse? But would the energy profit be worth it?

Stealth probe.

The stealth probe is widly equipped on Houjin vessels and have been used for as long as the Houjin have known of the Goa'uld. They were a must for the Houjin to stay hidden.

They are among the most advanced technological creations of the Houjin people. They resemble long tubes with rounded ends, and 4 half oval pod like devices on each end. The oval half pods on the side are for F.T.L , both entering hyperspace and stabilizing the field. The probes F.T.L capabilites are comparatively limeted. The half ovals on the top are the inertialess drives. In the core of the device is the fusion power unit. Beside the fusion unit there are six capacitors for emergency power. Almost the whole skin of the probe is covered with sensory mesh, capable of very detailed passive scans, but also powerful active scans. The probes are also equipped with 60 sophisticated optical sensors.

In the middle of the probe are high intensity magnetic shield emitters.

The stealth technology and protocols of the probe are a vital part of its major function, the stealth field hides it from many scans as long as it limits its energy emissions. Protocols include shuting down and altering its magnetic shield to appear as a nickle/iron asteroid.

The protocols are backed up by a A.I system.

Hey did anyone notice we have rounded off to 400 pages?

Better respond soon otherwise there is gonna be quite a buildup lol.
                        Last edited by Gormagon; 30 September 2011, 03:40 PM.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

They wanted to make sure they would WIN when they struck.
                          i hate to say this, but this is the very basis of attacking. you only attack if you're sure you can win, even by loosing a battle.

Another thing, are there any advantages to helium fusion over tritium or deuterium? There are isotopes of helium right? Just like deuterium and tritium are isotopes of hydrogen. If there are advantages, what are the disadvantages? I would imagine that helium, being heavier then hydrogen, would take more energy to fuse? But would the energy profit be worth it?
                          D-H3 fusion is the most energetic kind.

Almost the whole skin of the probe is covered with sensory mesh, capable of very detailed passive scans, but also powerful active scans. The probes are also equipped with 60 sophisticated optical sensors.

In the middle of the probe are high intensity magnetic shield emitters.
                          i am not sure, but would a magnetic shield be absolute killer for proper sensors?

not sure what you mean by "60 optical sensors". cameras?

i would just go with a single main "super sensor". using refraction, the incoming light is split and seperately analyzed for IR, visible light, UV, Gamma, and Radio.

furthermore, about, what, 4 active scanners would be sufficient. these are sensor suites with pretty much every sensor indication something useful. these "hunt" the environment for useful data, and when the computer recognizes something of interest, it aims the main scanner for ultra high resolution.

i am not sure about covering the hull with sensors, as the solar wind alone won't be very nice. i'd rather go with dense osmium plating. at the core of the probe is a Subspace Sensor of limited range (about a Light Year), keeping track of subspace activity.

the rest of the Probe is filled with memory banks, including ones for redundancy.

i think fusion power is simply not useful. a small Lnaq reactor would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                            (Houjin melee weapons can go through Kull armor.)
                            We're talking about the Kull armour that can shrug off a circle of C4 going off all around it and who knows what else?? You mean that Kull armour?
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Yeah, that Kull armor that was pierced by a little trinium dart.

Houjin weapons can pierce Kull armor.

The Ninja class were very good at sneaking up and killing them from behind, stabbing the neck and severing the spinal cord and symbiote.
                              Last edited by Gormagon; 01 October 2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

i am not sure, but would a magnetic shield be absolute killer for proper sensors?
                                Its an advanced magnetic shield, its modulated to not interfere with its own sensors. If you like I can switch to conventional force shielding.

not sure what you mean by "60 optical sensors". cameras?
                                Really really advanced cameras, super sophisticated technological eyes.

i would just go with a single main "super sensor". using refraction, the incoming light is split and seperately analyzed for IR, visible light, UV, Gamma, and Radio.
                                How big is it? I have a drawn schematic of the probe, there is not alot of room left. The optical sensors are comparatively small, about 2 x the size of a human eye, and far more useful.
                                furthermore, about, what, 4 active scanners would be sufficient. these are sensor suites with pretty much every sensor indication something useful. these "hunt" the environment for useful data, and when the computer recognizes something of interest, it aims the main scanner for ultra high resolution.
                                Sufficient sure. But what about backups?

i am not sure about covering the hull with sensors, as the solar wind alone won't be very nice. i'd rather go with dense osmium plating. at the core of the probe is a Subspace Sensor of limited range (about a Light Year), keeping track of subspace activity
                                Solar wind, meet advanced magnetic shield. There is plating, underneath the sensory mesh. The sensory mesh is built with nanites, and the probe can repair its own sensor mesh over time.

the rest of the Probe is filled with memory banks, including ones for redundancy.
                                It does.

i think fusion power is simply not useful. a small Lnaq reactor would be better.
                                Errr..I did not want to use naquadah because what if the Goa'uld picked it up on their sensors? They love their naquadah. But as long as the Goa'uld could not detect it its fine. That is why I built the probe using no naquadah, it would be of no interest to them when powered down.

Comment

Working...
                                X