No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, like I said I am still working on it. And I am pretty sure Neutron particles can be ionized, (charged) but they would no longer be neutral, they would be positive or negative like what Stargatewhatcher said. I decided to call it the neutron cannon because I had it that they drew excess neutrons and neutron radiation from their advanced fast neutron reactors and ionized them to make them more useful in combat.

I could easily switch it to protons, or we could make up a new particle that can be used in weaponry. But I can rewrite it if you like, Make a different weapon. That is why I posted samples, to get feedback before I added anything to the site.

What about the fusion laser and tachyon cannon?

More tech samples-They use Deuterium fusion reactors and now heavy liquid naquadah fusion reactors, and they are working on developing more cost effective, safer anti-matter matter reactors. I have removed the advanced fast neutron reactor because apparently they no longer have neutron beams.

The hardest thing is hyper drive speed. I am never sure how fast to make hyper drives.

As for the purpose of my race, the Houjin can be ally's of the Tau'ri, and the Kaizoku Karuteru could possibly be ally's of the Lucian alliance. But they are still under construction.
    Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 05:03 AM.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
      Well, like I said I am still working on it. And I am pretty sure Neutron particles can be ionized, (charged) but they would no longer be neutral. I decided to call it the neutron cannon because I had it that they drew excess neutrons and neutron radiation from their power cores and ionized them to make them more useful in combat. But like I said, I am still working on it. I could easily switch it to protons, or we could make up a new particle that can be used in weaponry. But I can rewrite it if you like, Make a different weapon. That is why I posted samples, to get feedback before I added anything to the site.

More tech samples-They use Deuterium fusion reactors and heavy liquid naquadah fusion reactors, and they are working on developing more cost effective, safer anti-matter matter reactors.

The hardest thing is hyper drive speed. I am never sure how fast to make hyper drives.

As for the purpose of my race, the Houjin can be ally's of the Tau'ri, and the Kaizoku Karuteru could possibly be ally's of the Lucian alliance. But they are still under construction.
      My first thought is that neither would work. The fusion laser would have to have a power rating so high that the fusion aspect would be relegated to a secondary side effect. Generating a laser that powerful would be no mean feat, likely requiring technology up to an including space time metric manipulations that would give the Ancients a run for their money.

The tachyon beam is not even worth considering in my opinion. First off is the fact that it sounds like something out of a cheesy anime. second, tachyons become more energetic the slower they go, so any beam energetic enough to actually harm matter would only be marginally faster than a laser. Thirdly and most importantly, manipulating tachyons is the iffiest prospect, not the least because of all the ways relativity tends to not work around them (FTL = time travel, and without any mention of tachyons on the show, I say drop it).

Comment

Mhm. I was trying to come up with unique weaponry. Ill remember to be more careful with the science in the future. Back to the drawing board...

I was iffy about the tachyon cannon anyway, and I knew the fusion laser would take serious power. I never really liked tachyon's that much. And they never were mentioned in the show were they?

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

How bout proton cannons and a high power laser beam weapon? I do not want the generic "plasma cannon" or "energy turret".

Comment

How bout proton cannons and a high power laser beam weapon? I do not want the generic "plasma cannon" or "energy turret".
            I got no problems with either. Here's some files on particle beams and lasers.

Comment

Thanks for the links, cool info.

I think I will go with the Proton cannon. I know they have already positive charge, so "ionized proton beam" would not make much sense would it. To bad because it sounds cooler.

For the laser weaponry, I would use both the blaster style lasers and the X-ray lasers.

(Side note, Narn G'quan class battle cruisers are supposed to have two heavy X-ray laser cannons.)
              But perhaps I will have them develop plasma beams. I was trying to give then unique technologies. I guess I will rewrite them.

Should not energy weapon measurements be in terajoules, petajoules and exajoules, and bombs and missiles be in kilotons, megatons, gigatons and teratons? I think that about 4100 something terajoules equals one megaton.
              Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                oh god.
                But you can call me Gormagon.

Comment

Hey, I was looking at the 4.0 site, and I was going to fill in some blank sections with Asgard and Jotnar ships, but then I realized that I did not know what kind of weaponry you wanted them to have. I was thinking advanced ion cannons for the Asgard based on charged Kirons, and for the Jotnar, plasma based weaponry. ?

Comment

And the cannons of the O'Neill and Jackson, I read somewhere that they "could refract to bypass some shield systems" what exactly does that mean?

Until specific tech info is put on the site I am going to have a harder time with my races technology.

For their drive systems I was going to give them matter/anti matter drive systems.
                    Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 05:55 AM.

Comment

funny.

tom a fusion laser already exists. the one thing i question is the use of it.

I do not want the generic "plasma cannon" or "energy turret".
                      you still have ion and particle weapons. but my own theory suggests plasma has little to do with the actual working of the weapon.

gormagon for the love of all i hold dear, there's an Edit button

And the cannons of the O'Neill and Jackson, I read somewhere that they "could refract to bypass some shield systems" what exactly does that mean?
                      no clue, but i theorize their energy weapons match phase and frequency of the goauld shields to make them non-existent to these weapons.

For their drive systems I was going to give them matter/anti matter drive systems.
                      for what? i don't understand. inertialess drives work fine

Comment

Well, like I said I am still working on it. And I am pretty sure Neutron particles can be ionized, (charged) but they would no longer be neutral, they would be positive or negative like what Stargatewhatcher said. I decided to call it the neutron cannon because I had it that they drew excess neutrons and neutron radiation from their advanced fast neutron reactors and ionized them to make them more useful in combat.

I could easily switch it to protons, or we could make up a new particle that can be used in weaponry. But I can rewrite it if you like, Make a different weapon. That is why I posted samples, to get feedback before I added anything to the site.

More tech samples-They use Deuterium fusion reactors and now heavy liquid naquadah fusion reactors, and they are working on developing more cost effective, safer anti-matter matter reactors. I have removed the advanced fast neutron reactor because apparently they no longer have neutron beams.

Current science says Neutrons can't be. Ionization happens when electrons are discarded from an atom leaving a charge (since protons are bound to the nuclei via the strong force). You also assume you can fuse Naquadah. The limit for fusion in stars is Iron 56, supernovae provide the other heavier elements. So you are either saying that Naquadah has a proton number less than 56 or that this race is able to produce energy upto supernovae energies, which not even the ancients have been able to do.
                        Last edited by Davidtourniquet; 23 August 2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                          Current science says Neutrons can't be. Ionization happens when electrons are discarded from an atom leaving a charge (since protons are bound to the nuclei via the strong force).
                          Key words, current science.
                          But the Houjin are around 800-900 years ahead of us.

By ionization though, I mean that the neutrons would just be charged, like a proton or electron. I used neutrons because I thought they would make good weapon "fuel" because of the the Huojin reactors. But I wanted them charged so that they would be more effective. But I am not going to use neutron beams anymore, so its mute.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
                            You also assume you can fuse Naquadah. The limit for fusion in stars is Iron 56, supernovae provide the other heavier elements. So you are either saying that Naquadah has a proton number less than 56 or that this race is able to produce energy upto supernovae energies, which not even the ancients have been able to do.
                            Well, even if you could not fuse Naquadah, you could still split it correct? How else would it produce energy? So I could just switch it HLN fission reactor. Besides that fact that these alien sciences would be so far beyond us...like explaining the workings of a cell phone to Attila the Hun.

And the Ancients made Z-pm's, so they have mastered super nova level energies. The Arcturas explosion was under powered BTW. Or that solar system was huge.

And as for my races anti matter drive, like I said I did not want to give them generic often used tech. But, If you insist I will give them the inertialess drive.

I know about the edit button, but this way I get more posts!!
                            Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

ZPMs aren't supernova energies (best estimate is around 10^32 joules) and arcturus wasn't a stable energy source. For supernovae you are looking at 10^40 joules of energy at least. There's lots of ways of producing energy without splitting or fusing atoms. The main one is a temperature increase.

Neutrons aren't charged at all, otherwise you would need double the number of electrons to neutralise the charge in the nucleus.

Comment

Well, even if you could not fuse Naquadah, you could still split it correct? How else would it produce energy? So I could just switch it HLN fission reactor. Besides that fact that these alien sciences would be so far beyond us...like explaining the workings of a cell phone to Attila the Hun.

rule of thumb:

any new science has to explain old science too.

you CAN ionize a neutron. but then it's called "beta decay" and it transforms into a proton, an electron and a neutrino.

(best estimate is around 10^32 joules)
                                i'd say more like 10^35. it can destroy a planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X