No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep your wiki then. It WILL come around and bite you in the ass.

Comment

to be honest, i considered creating a transition wiki, in essence setting up one elsewhere and figuring out how that worked, but your attitude and my stubbornness now prevent that.

Comment

About the Furlings, I think that the general consensus is that we don't touch them -- in fact, I believe this was voted on in both the 1-3.0 fleets and in the current one.

The basic idea is, the Furlings are like Tom Bombadil. They're better as a mystery. As soon as you reveal them, people will be disappointed; you won't be able to match everyone's view, simply because they're so varied.

Case in point; some of y'all think of the Furlings as having fur (or being related to furry creatures), whereas I am more in the group that thinks that the Furlings have nothing to do with fur at all, and it's just a funny coincidence. If I were to write about the Furlings as I see them, you'd probably be disappointed or incredulous.

So, in the interest of preserving peace, I stand by our hands-off policy.

My own thoughts:
        Spoiler:
        If you want my personal opinion, I think the name can be interpreted as a corruption of "Ferlingas", being the Asgard name for them, and possibly meaning "traveling folk" or "nomads", related to Proto-Germanic *far- "to fare, travel" -- thus indicating their propensity to travel from one area to another, which may be why they are gone; they moved on. I doubt they were from the Milky Way, either.
        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

i see them more as the Koala folk.

some work on Machayo. i can say this: materials for ships are damn easy compared to character ones.
          the current is a uniform material, i took one from a database and modified to be red. well i can tell you that's not easy. oh and it's a modified version of the human (*cough*) i made following the Character Modelling tutorial.

Machayo type 1 (2).jpg
          Machayo type 1.jpg
          Last edited by thekillman; 13 August 2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            About the Furlings, I think that the general consensus is that we don't touch them -- in fact, I believe this was voted on in both the 1-3.0 fleets and in the current one.
            Well, perhaps we should take a re-vote. The writers are never gonna do anything with them. They are one of Stargates biggest mysteries...and one that I think should be solved.

The basic idea is, the Furlings are like Tom Bombadil. They're better as a mystery. As soon as you reveal them, people will be disappointed; you won't be able to match everyone's view, simply because they're so varied.

My own thoughts:
            Spoiler:
            If you want my personal opinion, I think the name can be interpreted as a corruption of "Ferlingas", being the Asgard name for them, and possibly meaning "traveling folk" or "nomads", related to Proto-Germanic *far- "to fare, travel" -- thus indicating their propensity to travel from one area to another, which may be why they are gone; they moved on. I doubt they were from the Milky Way, either.
            I understand exactly what you mean, i did always want to know more about Tom though. When i found out about the origins of Sauron, I felt like a big mystery was solved, and i was a little disappointed, for a time. But now I like knowing about his past. Also, the Ancients and even the Asgard were mysteries for a while, but now we know all about them. Imagen what Stargate would be like if the writers had kept the Ancients a mystery! Which is why it is my opinion that the Furlings should be known, at least a GWVF version of them anyway.

I like that, its interesting. Easily incorperated into my idea as well. That they are Hunters,(Explorers now) and travel alot. They could be mostly nomadic travelers.

Who are you, Daniel Jackson? L.O.L.
            Last edited by Gormagon; 20 August 2011, 01:53 PM.
            sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Case in point; some of y'all think of the Furlings as having fur (or being related to furry creatures), whereas I am more in the group that thinks that the Furlings have nothing to do with fur at all, and it's just a funny coincidence. If I were to write about the Furlings as I see them, you'd probably be disappointed or incredulous.

So, in the interest of preserving peace, I stand by our hands-off policy.

My own thoughts:
              Spoiler:
              If we take a revote, I do not mind being the only one writer to write about this group, I cal lthem Felinus though personally, even got them featured in some of my fanfics on ff.net. It is true yes that some people have differnet ideas of what the Furlings look like, like killman says, he likes to think of them like the Koala people, which is cool, I know two people that love Koala's (one of them is a zookeeper at his local zoo and works with the other Koala keeper there) So seeing the Furlings as bipedal Koala's is a pretty cool way to look at a race we have never seen before.

Another good way to see them is as travelers, if that's the case, we've already seen them in Pegasus as humans. After all, they were called Travelers, where they not ? Not that it matters. I do recall mentioning them here afew times and offering to write up stories on them. I also recall them being in t he 3.0 fleet as well, but only debated, never actually written on.

My personal view of the Furlings are tall felinelike people, only they don't travel, they instead inhabit a world at the edge of the Pegasus galaxy, not even the Wraith go there according to my fanfiction stories Ascension War III (in progress at this time) due to the sheer numbers alone of how many Furlings there are. roughly 3-5 kits born to a pair of parents per litter, roughly two litters a year. each generation though is about 20 years apart. so every twenty years or so there are thousands of newborn litters of kittens born.

Think the feline people in Dr Who with Tenth Doctor for an idea of what they'd look like, only in this case, taller, thinner and a whole lot more... furred

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                I like that, its interesting. Easily incorperated into my idea as well. That they are Hunters,(Explorers now) and travel alot. They could be mostly nomadic travelers.

Who are you, Daniel Jackson? L.O.L.
                Wo9uld not be surprised, Mcoy does a lot of good writings, I like them, so yes, he could be... O.o

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I think i fixed my messed up post.
                  Last edited by Gormagon; 20 August 2011, 01:54 PM.
                  sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Keep your wiki then. It WILL come around and bite you in the ass.
                    How and Why? The activity of the fleets is GW based and always will be. If you think the wikis have any relevence to the fleets on a day to day basis whatsoever, or indeed any impact on anything that has ever happened in the fleets then you are completely wrong. We set up the wikis as an extension of the websites which couldnt be editted anymore as Zake was no longer around to give us access. I cant imagine a way in which the wiki will have any impact on the fleets or be any reflection on it besides to people who do not even know why those pages exist. If they cant find our threads and discover the fleets in the first place then its very unlikely they will find the wikia pages. If you want to reject the wiki fine, but do it by coming to the place where the fleets actually exist and are run on and stop *****ing about a nonofficial platform none of us have really been devoted too. If we had all been behind the wikis then trust me the quality and quantity of the information available would have been much more substantial, because the fleets do have the material and if you want to find it then there are 50,000 post for you to look at and judge for yourself before you insult us based on wikia.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

about the Furlings:

if i could, i'd Veto showing them. i have seen this once before, and it was just about a name, not even about showing a race. after a while, a mysterious something, be it a name, an item, or a race, or whatever, becomes such a powerful mental icon that it can never live up to it's expectations. any reveal will just be a HUMONGOUS let-down. it would be more anticlimactic and un-satisfying than every bad movie, book, comic, and show combined.

my personal take on the Furlings is that they were the last to join the Alliance (the order being Ancients-> Nox (likely the original inhabitants of the Milky Way but were satisfied so there was no humongous empire) -> Asgard (different galaxy as their home) and finally the furlings (even further away than the asgard, or since i saw Mckoy's take on them, just passing along))

now i WOULD like to see what has happened since. i would love to see what the Furlings have done. in fact, i wouldn't mind seeing a "navo Alliance". the Furlings, being originally nomads (or always were, which is why we barely found anything of them), took samples of the Galaxy with them when they left during the plague, and have now continued the Ancient legacy: they seeded Asgard, Ancient, Nox and Furling life in a galaxy, and after the Furlings were sure they could develop, they left the second incarnations of the Alliance behind.

now i think the Furlings would've adapted the second evolutions. That is, the Asgard are slender and have big heads, but are much bigger than their counterparts (1.60 should be doable). Ancients have spawned humans of various kinds, being more diverse. the Nox, no clue yet. and the Furlings *maybe indeed through virtue of fast reproducing* have become insanely diverse, ranging across several types and sizes, each adapted to their own new world.

they're second evolutions, but definitely sped up so i'd say they're all space faring and modified to their new home worlds.

i would be very interested in that

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                        How and Why? The activity of the fleets is GW based and always will be. If you think the wikis have any relevence to the fleets on a day to day basis whatsoever, or indeed any impact on anything that has ever happened in the fleets then you are completely wrong. We set up the wikis as an extension of the websites which couldnt be editted anymore as Zake was no longer around to give us access. I cant imagine a way in which the wiki will have any impact on the fleets or be any reflection on it besides to people who do not even know why those pages exist. If they cant find our threads and discover the fleets in the first place then its very unlikely they will find the wikia pages. If you want to reject the wiki fine, but do it by coming to the place where the fleets actually exist and are run on and stop *****ing about a nonofficial platform none of us have really been devoted too. If we had all been behind the wikis then trust me the quality and quantity of the information available would have been much more substantial, because the fleets do have the material and if you want to find it then there are 50,000 post for you to look at and judge for yourself before you insult us based on wikia.
                        Pretty much by writing anything about Stargate on Wikia is an insult to the franchise, simple as that. Rationalise it however you want but if you read up on Wikia you will see how bad they are and not want to be a part of them. Would you post your stuff on the American Nazi Party website?

Thats about it in a nutshell.

Comment

Our damage is nothing compared to this

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            Pretty much by writing anything about Stargate on Wikia is an insult to the franchise, simple as that. Rationalise it however you want but if you read up on Wikia you will see how bad they are and not want to be a part of them. Would you post your stuff on the American Nazi Party website?

Thats about it in a nutshell.
                            Eskyos, while we appreciate your concern, if you have nothing else to say except rants on how wiki is bad, then I'm going to have to report you.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              about the Furlings:

if i could, i'd Veto showing them. i have seen this once before, and it was just about a name, not even about showing a race. after a while, a mysterious something, be it a name, an item, or a race, or whatever, becomes such a powerful mental icon that it can never live up to it's expectations. any reveal will just be a HUMONGOUS let-down. it would be more anticlimactic and un-satisfying than every bad movie, book, comic, and show combined.

my personal take on the Furlings is that they were the last to join the Alliance (the order being Ancients-> Nox (likely the original inhabitants of the Milky Way but were satisfied so there was no humongous empire) -> Asgard (different galaxy as their home) and finally the furlings (even further away than the asgard, or since i saw Mckoy's take on them, just passing along))

now i WOULD like to see what has happened since. i would love to see what the Furlings have done. in fact, i wouldn't mind seeing a "navo Alliance". the Furlings, being originally nomads (or always were, which is why we barely found anything of them), took samples of the Galaxy with them when they left during the plague, and have now continued the Ancient legacy: they seeded Asgard, Ancient, Nox and Furling life in a galaxy, and after the Furlings were sure they could develop, they left the second incarnations of the Alliance behind.

now i think the Furlings would've adapted the second evolutions. That is, the Asgard are slender and have big heads, but are much bigger than their counterparts (1.60 should be doable). Ancients have spawned humans of various kinds, being more diverse. the Nox, no clue yet. and the Furlings *maybe indeed through virtue of fast reproducing* have become insanely diverse, ranging across several types and sizes, each adapted to their own new world.

they're second evolutions, but definitely sped up so i'd say they're all space faring and modified to their new home worlds.

i would be very interested in that
                              This is a pretty interesting thought, since we all see the Furlings differently I can easliy see them as the f elines from Red Dwarf for example, as a second evolution I'd see them human with feline features or the like pretty easliy. Like Gormagon said, wolf like is also good too as a second evolution. though in terms of hight I've always seen there more around somewhere between 2 and 3 meters in hight on average

Comment

This is a pretty interesting thought, since we all see the Furlings differently I can easliy see them as the f elines from Red Dwarf for example, as a second evolution I'd see them human with feline features or the like pretty easliy. Like Gormagon said, wolf like is also good too as a second evolution. though in terms of hight I've always seen there more around somewhere between 2 and 3 meters in hight on average
                                while i understand the desire to express them in animal-types(convenient and speaks the mind), i simply refuse to make them walking wolves or cats.

the Koala is a bit different since i've never seen a show where they used Koala's (aside from the spoof, obviously-an-actor-in-a-suit Furling. but the Wolf-type is overdone.

well i still am unsure about certain aspects of fast reproduction. humans can reproduce relatively fast but our society prevents that. the Furlings won't breed like rabbits for the sake of it.

i do see the advantages, as physically, they would adapt much faster than the other races. much greater diversity, which in a traveller nature is ideal.

the Furlings would be perhaps like the LA of that galaxy, in the sense that they're diverse, and have many forms and aspects. larger, more muscled and aggressive Furlings surviving by power, smaller, more intelligent and developed Furlings surviving by advancing.

it would be interesting to see a war between them, us showing up, saying it's madness since they're supposed to be an alliance, everyone blankly looking, someone screaming we're crazy and they just continue.

we try to prevent a battle, but by doing so unwittingly ally the Nasgard and the Nancients by doing so. well, they consider us allies and the Nnox and Nfurlings consider it an act of war.

so we're drawn into this war, and basically obligued by being the Fifth Race, we kind of try to stop it.

not sure how dedicated UNEC would be since it's fighting another man's war.

Comment

Working...
                                X