No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, sorta half anarchy and a divided Earth, also the federation like way earth and her colonies should be organised should be highly diverse and divided, like how the Dutch Republic was, extremely selfcentric (thus meaning, my colony/nation first)

www.darkarmada.nl
    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
      well I now wrote something so 'dutch centric' but if I had written it Indonesia centric, I do not think that would have been said at all. If I come up with an idea that is about such problems for other nations I would not be smited, and besides, it was an idea and eventhough some ideas are frowned up on they can be useful to think of things that WILL MAKE IT
      No we would of said it was Indonesian centric. We are talking about the whole planet not just one country.

Comment

tell that to most writers... most things I've participated in is US or UK centric and everything else, especially if it is European and not one of the aforementioned nations it is frowned upon and smited. Not meant to be offencive, just IF this is fully based around of the entire planet and colonies, then do not make it US/UK centric ether.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          not entirely but i see it more as a "i'm gonna live on another continent " story: you'll phone, you'll send cards, and once a year or so you visit. but you won't go back and forth daily.

so yea i think there would be relations and there would be free interplanetary travel between the colonies and earth. well not exactly free, there's most likely an SGC-type building, people get a check for illegal stuff and such. but you catch my drift.
          Oh there definately won't be a daily commute to Earth, but Earth is where they come from. So yeah I agree with all that.

yes indeed. but right now i say "elaborate".
          I haven't given it all that much thought, perhaps an agreement to trade and a mutal defence type of thing?

what they did was the equivalent of tossing nukes through every gate. except that they were weapons which kill certain DNA. also if they're too powerful it makes bad writing, cause then its a case of " and the aschen moved in"
          We don't know that that's all it involved. I doubt you could take care of the fleets with just gate nukes.

They were weakened by the blackhole address etc...we can do tons to make them a credible adversay for the FJN without making them invincible.

how about: Earth dictates the general lines and the colonies have to follow that. as in, Earth says: make your industry greener, and how they do it is up to the colonies?
          I like that. How would this level of independence work with a fleet though? The Tau'ri space fleet should be based out of Earth and it should be responsible for the defence of it's colonies. That means patrols etc...being automous would be difficult if a Tau'ri cruiser comes by every week or few days.

naquahdah is worth a lot. well ok not completely independent but well, it allows them to enter the galactic market, so to speak. also, i'd see colonies as a supplyline to earth. that's probably why they exist in the first place.
          Yeah so they'd be incharge of the infastructure on their own colony and making it run smoothly. And yes there should be a 'tax' towards Earth.

i'm more thinking along the lines of :
          -they built mining vessels, programmed them and sent them out to collect resources.
          -something, like war, or perhaps their own vessels, destroyed them and their planet and now they're dead and the ships are on the loose.

it's possible though that other members of the species are still alive and use this as an opportunity.
          What's wrong with having two enemies? Maybe yours can be the first arc of the fleet then after these mining ships are gone the galaxy finds itself with a lot of shattered borders and less resources. Tension rises and my guys try and stir everyone to war. I think my arc would be a chance for something a little more SG like, its more of a mission to find those responsible instead of out and out battles.

destroying the legacy in 3 easy steps:

-the tech is only fitted on the Odyssey (i can't understand how our crappy ships could even POWER the damn thing without dropping our shields)
          -the Odyssey is sent to investigate a planet in Ida
          -and never heard from again, although the last message recieved spoke of "asgard". when a second ship investigated the location at which it was lost, only wreckage similar to the Odyssey was found.
          We would have coppied the Asgard database I expect.

SGA is way too good an idea to waste. it's a perfect future plan for a 2.0 fleet.
          My idea is that SGA for the most part happened but we were forced to leave Pegaus, we can go back there in 2.0.

Originally posted by locutes View Post
          tell that to most writers... most things I've participated in is US or UK centric and everything else, especially if it is European and not one of the aforementioned nations it is frowned upon and smited. Not meant to be offencive, just IF this is fully based around of the entire planet and colonies, then do not make it US/UK centric ether.
          I want to get a more mixed feeling to the colonies, people of multiple ethnicities working together. I mean there would be outposts/colonies set up by certain countries but I think there should a level of mixture to it as well.

So maybe there is a colony set up predominantly by say Chinese people but I don't want to have a situation were the nationalities move off Earth and just keep to themselves. I think a lot of European countries would work together. Maybe what we have is coalitions of countries working together to set up new colonies to give it that mixed feeling, I doubt individually many would have the resources to do it alone.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

They were weakened by the blackhole address etc...we can do tons to make them a credible adversay for the FJN without making them invincible.
            good.

I like that. How would this level of independence work with a fleet though? The Tau'ri space fleet should be based out of Earth and it should be responsible for the defence of it's colonies. That means patrols etc...being automous would be difficult if a Tau'ri cruiser comes by every week or few days.
            how advanced will the colonies be? would they have ship building capability or would they just order their ships from the docks at earth?

i think the military interaction is like that of modern day: they cooperate and can be on the bridges and all, but i doubt they would get to see the newest, most advanced toys so to speak.

What's wrong with having two enemies? Maybe yours can be the first arc of the fleet then after these mining ships are gone the galaxy finds itself with a lot of shattered borders and less resources. Tension rises and my guys try and stir everyone to war. I think my arc would be a chance for something a little more SG like, its more of a mission to find those responsible instead of out and out battles.
            well i don;t really see them as an enemy, rather as a threat. and i'm interested in your idea.

thats nigh-impossible i believe. it would be beyond human storage capability. and even if we did, it's gonna take a hellovalotoftime to actually start digging through. if we're unlucky, the asgard included the ancient repository aswell increasing the amount of data even further.

My idea is that SGA for the most part happened but we were forced to leave Pegaus, we can go back there in 2.0
            sank atlantis again or permanently cloaked it?

I want to get a more mixed feeling to the colonies, people of multiple ethnicities working together. I mean there would be outposts/colonies set up by certain countries but I think there should a level of mixture to it as well.

So maybe there is a colony set up predominantly by say Chinese people but I don't want to have a situation were the nationalities move off Earth and just keep to themselves. I think a lot of European countries would work together. Maybe what we have is coalitions of countries working together to set up new colonies to give it that mixed feeling, I doubt individually many would have the resources to do it alone.

it's a habit of people to stick together. however i think that say, belgians would stay close to the dutch because of the languages, just as the germans would. there are simply combinations which work. in fact, it's possible there are 2 european colonies: an east-european one and a west-european one.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
              We don't know that that's all it involved. I doubt you could take care of the fleets with just gate nukes.
              well we can speculate and since what we've seen I think it is a reasonable assumption.

this they were indeed, but we do not know how much and how fast they could rebuild, it is obviously quite some time afterwards.

I can see it being like that, a joined defence force, but I can also see each colony having its own defence force or atleast a militia. But I am more of an independence way, I think each nation should be and stay independent, max something like the Dutch Republic. Thus colonies being colonies of individual states, like Indonesia, or China, or the UK etc.

Yeah so they'd be incharge of the infastructure on their own colony and making it run smoothly. And yes there should be a 'tax' towards Earth.
              over taxing colonies and not giving them the right to govern is what has created allot of problems before, so good idea (possibly sarcastic)

something different from out right war would be refreshing, possible proxy wars and such could be interesting too

it would be a plot devise to get rid of those uber techs

can be possible, but I see colonies more like nations establishing their own colonies or started by groups of humans not wanting to live on earth anymore, but allot of colonies equals allot of different ways those colonies could work

working together can and will be done, but there are also allot of factions, in politics and all that want to cut down on the working together, but as I said, there are so much colonies, there can and will be allot of ways tose work together.

I can even seeing a colony still being connected to its mother nation but not being part of the Earth confederacy, like Greenland is in the EU while still being a part of Denmark, by choice that is

www.darkarmada.nl
              www.runescape.com

Comment

how advanced will the colonies be? would they have ship building capability or would they just order their ships from the docks at earth?
                well colonies will be of different advanced lvls, for I could see the older colonies being capable of building ships, but others not, or those that have got the needed materials would logically start shipbuilding, but alteast spaceyards

i think the military interaction is like that of modern day: they cooperate and can be on the bridges and all, but i doubt they would get to see the newest, most advanced toys so to speak.
                seems logical but there are probably more systems working at the same time

thats nigh-impossible i believe. it would be beyond human storage capability. and even if we did, it's gonna take a hellovalotoftime to actually start digging through. if we're unlucky, the asgard included the ancient repository aswell increasing the amount of data even further.
                plus it is a plot device which is simply needed

I think that Atlantis should atleast survive, but there must be a way to not have it there or us there.

it's a habit of people to stick together. however i think that say, belgians would stay close to the dutch because of the languages, just as the germans would. there are simply combinations which work. in fact, it's possible there are 2 european colonies: an east-european one and a west-european one.
                This is logical and will happen to some extent, nations with cultures/languages that are allike will probably work together more but there will be differences and colonies that frown upon such things.

www.darkarmada.nl
                www.runescape.com

Comment

Well this 15 years into the future, so maybe by that time a few offworld outposts have shipyards. With the exodus perhaps these outposts turn into colonies therefore some would have shipyards. Most wouldn't though.

So most of the fleet would be Earth based?

well i don;t really see them as an enemy, rather as a threat. and i'm interested in your idea.
                  I like stories which link together, we can see the effects of your arc in mine. The guys I'm thinking of are just a concept but I think they'd be good for the fleet.

Well according to Siege with Mkay's compression methods we could have saved 8% of the Ancient database on Atlantis with just the harddrives they bought with them. I'd assume the Asgard database is smaller. We could just pretend that scene in Siege never happened and say either database is too large to be copied.

I thought about maybe even destroying it?

How many colonies do you think there should be? I was thinking a 10 or so with populations in the low thousands each, maybe some smaller ones + planets which have their own civilisations but have large numbers of Tau'ri. I think the smaller colonies are more likely to be strongly linked to Earth due to their size.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

i doubt that every nation has it's own colony, or for that matter that a single colony belongs to 1 nation. i think it would be far more blurred and it's more of a relation to earth than to a single nation.

i mean, quite some nations kept the existence of aliens and advanced technology from the public. the public's not gonna like that.

Comment

Yes but some of the richer nations could have multiple colonies.

Comment

Well this 15 years into the future, so maybe by that time a few offworld outposts have shipyards. With the exodus perhaps these outposts turn into colonies therefore some would have shipyards. Most wouldn't though.

So most of the fleet would be Earth based?
                        i was more thinking along the lines of earth selling ships to colonies. or more like, Colonies which can't build ships, order them at earth or at another colony.

Well according to Siege with Mkay's compression methods we could have saved 8% of the Ancient database on Atlantis with just the harddrives they bought with them. I'd assume the Asgard database is smaller. We could just pretend that scene in Siege never happened and say either database is too large to be copied.
                        considering that the only entry on destiny was an adress, i doubt it contained all info. it was a public libary. our libraries don't contain lost info or state secrets

I thought about maybe even destroying it?
                        how about keeping the status unknown. we abandoned it, left it cloaked.

How many colonies do you think there should be? I was thinking a 10 or so with populations in the low thousands each, maybe some smaller ones + planets which have their own civilisations but have large numbers of Tau'ri. I think the smaller colonies are more likely to be strongly linked to Earth due to their size.
                        3 or 4 prime colonies. and 8 or so small ones. the bigger colonies have immigrants from other planets and count into a million or so. the biggest should have a population of some 2-3 million and be multi-national. 2 of ca. 1 million, 1 of several hundred thousand. the other colonies are in the thousands, tens of thousands tops.

Comment

i

considering that the only entry on destiny was an adress, i doubt it contained all info. it was a public libary. our libraries don't contain lost info or state secrets
                          Good point. Still I reckon its bigger than the Asgard database though, the Ancients are a lot older.

how about keeping the status unknown. we abandoned it, left it cloaked.
                          Leaving it cloaked on the surface would be stupid, submerged would be better.

3 or 4 prime colonies. and 8 or so small ones. the bigger colonies have immigrants from other planets and count into a million or so. the biggest should have a population of some 2-3 million and be multi-national. 2 of ca. 1 million, 1 of several hundred thousand. the other colonies are in the thousands, tens of thousands tops.
                          [/QUOTE]

Ok sounds good. I'd expect there to be multiple bases and outposts scattered around, private firms and military ones.

Comment

what I meant, that there are colonies spontaneous created but I think most colonies would created by an active colonisation process by the aforementioned nation, not Earth.

as to the not liking of the public, I agree, but not all nations are part of such a thing. I can see China, US, UK, Russia and such having allot of problems because of it, nation sthat have not been informed would not that much, perhaps sudden demonstrations against the IOA (nations). If those nations not informed of it or some of them start an active colonisation programme to be independent and to make sure those can defend their populations that way, I can see the pubic supporting that.

www.darkarmada.nl
                            www.runescape.com

Comment

I was thinking more of literally LOADS of colonies of various sizes and connections to Earth.

www.darkarmada.nl
                              www.runescape.com

Comment

then you'd end up with lots of largely powerless colonies

Comment

Working...
                                X