No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first thoughts that spring to mind are Jaffa and Lucian Alliance.

Comment

This could be Xenar's experimental Ha'tak, if I recall the details correctly. Otherwise, it looks like an RFJ or Holy Empire development project.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

no the Ko'tak looks more like the Ha;tak from AIR.

Comment

RFJ would have tau'ri influence correct? While Holy Empire is traditional?

Functionally this ship is stripped of a lot of the cannons, opting for accuracy and firepower in a single platform rather than lots of cannons. The idea is to tend to more efficient use of energy. I'm thinking of a modified plasma cannon. Perhaps something that fires a round which has a weak containment field and limited maneuvering. I'm thinking this could give more accurate fire at longer range.

For the missiles, I figure something that perhaps uses a small thruster similar to the tel'tak would suitable. Low yield conventional warheads would make it effective against fighters or other missiles. (the large arrays and dedicated sensor towers are actually placed for the benefit of the missile system which made me wonder if a system employing anti-ship missiles wouldn't be too ambitious.

What I'd like to propose is that the ship is designed for an era where naquadah has become increasingly expensive due to over-use and strained supply lines, so power saving is a premium. Also, much of the ship that would have been built with naquadah-based alloys are substituted with much cheaper materials particularly for the internal areas.

Comment

the RJF is basically like the FJN, though smaller than the FJN it's more powerful.

Comment

The RFJ is the most direct descendant of the FJN. The Holy Empire is Ori worshipers (Illac Renin).

The traditionalists would be more like the Systems Alliance.
              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                i'm not sure how much time the Furlings would've had, but i think they would prefer some more living space rather than less.

so i doubt they would build on a gas giant since it's impractical. considering for a moment that our star system alone has 9 planets, i surely see possibility for a star system with at least 5 habitable planets. various technologies and dirt cheap energy would make the distance to the sun moot. after all, you could just create the perfect atmosphere and add sufficient greenhouse gasses to contain enough heat. there are more powerful gasses than CO2. take SF6 for example, 300 000 times stronger than CO2.

also considering multiple smaller words have a better surface to volume ratio than one big planet, it would simply be better to create many smaller worlds.

if you are really desperate for living space, create a few Gas Giants in the system at the right places, so you can put habitable planets in their Lagrangean points to maximize the amount of planets in the habitable zone. i got the idea from the BSG colonial map, where a gas giant's Lagrangean points allow 2 habitable planets to share it's orbit.

lastly any moon would probably be terraformed immediately considering the Furlings would really, really need the space if they reproduce that fast
                Well say you have six different couples of Furlings, being feline creatures, they breed, a lot, in my personal intrepertation of them of how I as the write sees them, I based them mostly off my own cats. Able to have around three litters of kittens in a year. Only I did a few tweaks, so given a four hundred day year, each couple has between two and five kittens per litter, at three litters, assumung all six couples have five kittens in each litter, that's 15 kittens per family, so six families, one year, lots of cats, need lots of space, etc.

So yes an actual gas giant not exactly possible, but something as big as a gas giant, indeedly so.

Besides, its a story, anything is possible

BTW: all this knowledge you guys are giving me for atmosphres and other things related to planet creation is just wonderful! please keep it coming!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                  Well say you have six different couples of Furlings, being feline creatures, they breed, a lot, in my personal intrepertation of them of how I as the write sees them, I based them mostly off my own cats. Able to have around three litters of kittens in a year. Only I did a few tweaks, so given a four hundred day year, each couple has between two and five kittens per litter, at three litters, assumung all six couples have five kittens in each litter, that's 15 kittens per family, so six families, one year, lots of cats, need lots of space, etc.

So yes an actual gas giant not exactly possible, but something as big as a gas giant, indeedly so.

Besides, its a story, anything is possible

BTW: all this knowledge you guys are giving me for atmosphres and other things related to planet creation is just wonderful! please keep it coming!
                  At an average litter size of 3.5 six couples at three litters a year will have sixty three kittens.

Assuming you have a gas giant the size of Jupiter in the habitable zone of a star. An object on a sphere 1,136,310,000km in radius that encompassed the gas giant would experience 1 Earth Gravity. The sphere would have a surface area of 16,225,700,000,000,000,000 km^2. Or, 31,810,600,000 times the surface area of Earth. Think that would suffice?

And for the love of the Ancestors, why do they keep breeding? They are an advanced society, aren't there magic contraceptives?
                  My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                    At an average litter size of 3.5 six couples at three litters a year will have sixty three kittens.

Assuming you have a gas giant the size of Jupiter in the habitable zone of a star. An object on a sphere 1,136,310,000km in radius that encompassed the gas giant would experience 1 Earth Gravity. The sphere would have a surface area of 16,225,700,000,000,000,000 km^2. Or, 31,810,600,000 times the surface area of Earth. Think that would suffice?

And for the love of the Ancestors, why do they keep breeding? They are an advanced society, aren't there magic contraceptives?
                    Aren't condoms and birth control only an earth tech?
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

humans can breed like crazy. but we don't since we got more to do than raise 12 kids.

point is, society will ensure the Furlings don't generate humongous amounts of offspring.

and otherwise technology will.

a single big planet isn't economic or useful.

Pros of a big planet:
                      -it's big
                      -lots of space
                      -you only have 1 planetary adress.

Cons
                      -traffic, air traffic, space traffic
                      -Supply train needs to be massive since mining your own planet is... far from feasible
                      -weather's a ***** on gas giants.

Pros of multiple earths:
                      -less crowding
                      -greater survival chances against pesky things like humongous meteors, alien invasions, doomsday weapons, or simple malfunction of your powersources that causes an earth-shattering kaboom.
                      -less of a supply problem since you can comfortably mine your own planet. although i think a race like the Furlings can just eternally recycle.
                      -also things like weather aren't as much of a *****.

not to mention:

-you can actually build on the surface of a small rocky planet
                      -if we're on the topic of building planets, they're quite easy to build.

i'm not an astrophysicist or astronomer or so, so i'm not sure how many planets you can squeeze into the habitable zone of a planet.

which actually makes me think. what type of star has the biggest habitable zone? i'd say a really big star, but it can't be too big or it's unstable or a ticking supernuke.

so i'd say:

-either take an existing system, take the planets apart and rebuild them into a series of Earths and add mass to the star via star(lol)gates or using the aforementioned hyperspacing techniques.

-or you take empty space. somewhere nice and quiet like the fringes of a galaxy, far away from the more habitated zones (assuming we're in the MW). either use a supergate or use small ships to capture gas in a massive shield, then shrink the shield to liquefy the gas and jump to your location. use a shield to contain your liquid pre-protostar. make it grow. liquid means you require a smaller shield to contain the star. make it grow and grow and grow until it's gravity is enough to contain itself. the constant beam of gas coming through the Supergate will heat the gas, untill your star is big and hot enough for ignition. oh and ignition most likely isn't fun to hang around, so i'd keep the shield during ignition.

after Ignition, you keep feeding the star to make sure it grows.

in interstellar space, not too far from your system though, you create Protoplanets by smashing and beaming rock into the right place. smashing especially iron and nickel together to make a liquid, magnetic core. once you have a fireball that holds together, hyperspace it to it's correct orbit. make sure you have precisely the right speed. the planet is now in correct orbit. keep feeding it rock, making sure it's hot but not too hot. you might want some sort of natural nuclear reactor in the planet's core to keep it hot, like Earth is kept hot by remnant radioactive isotopes. (and the fact that it cools slowly).

keep feeding your star. keep adjusting the orbits of your planets. the star will be colder initially, so you have to make sure you remember that. in case of lazyness, create a few planets with the resources you need and put them outside the habitable zone. preferably closer to the star. if needed add some gas giants in this region too so you can make fusion-powered forges for mineral processing. although you could just make a few asteroid belts at convenient locations to mine stuff more easily. your pick.

considering we're creating the ideal solar system, you could just add a few vacation worlds, giving them the correct atmosphere to compensate for not being in the habitable zone (maybe a thicker atmosphere/different composition).

keep feeding your star. yes again. no actually STILL. anyway, to get a pretty big star you'll be feeding it for a while. since planet and star building will be mostly mind-numbing repetitive jobs, it's most likely done by automatons. you don't need a crew on a flying hyperdrive/shield combo.

continuing happily. i'm not sure how big the habitable zone of a really big star is. however a star is spherical. you could have your supercomputers configure an orbit system that has intersecting orbits but then shifted 90 degrees from eachother.
                      be creative.

not sure about how efficient the gas giant with 2 habitable planets in the L points is compared to habitable only (gas giant has a greater influence on orbits)

Comment

I'm sorry guys, I might be a little lost but how are the furlings playing into this fleet?

Also what other races, outside the canon ones are in this fleet?
                        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                        A Face you Can Trust
                        sigpic
                        So whats the worst that could happen?
                        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

no clue but it's interesting mind food.

Races are Human, Jaffa, Hebridan mainly. the Aschen still exist but are a shadow force, the Tka exist but they're a shadow force too.

the Humans are divided in many, many camps, including but not limited:
                          -Earth and colonies under UNEC
                          -human planets in SG1
                          -Alien Earths
                          -the Lucian Alliance

Jaffa are divided:

-RFJ: republic of Free Jaffa/ Free Jaffa Republic. the closest to the original FJN, this is the FJN minus the other factions, basically
                          -Planets Alliance. highly innovating and advancing Jaffa, leaning more to earth-like technologies
                          -Systems Alliance. more like the old Jaffa, who renounce the Goauld as false gods and in stead worship those gods like we do: as immaterial supernatural beings of unknown nature rather than flesh and blood stuff.
                          -Sanctum Imperium Illac. Holy empire of the Way, these are the jaffa that believe in Origin in a post-Ori setting.

while not technically Evil or malevolent even, the Systems Alliance and Holy Empire are kinda considered different and well, clinging to old beliefs etc

there are also jaffa in the Lucian Alliance. and unaligned planets (kinda like those dozens of farmer planets with small populations)

Hebridans are not really divided although various Hebridans have been spotted in the LA

Comment

I'm sorry guys, I might be a little lost but how are the furlings playing into this fleet?
                            they're not actually included are they? I thought they were just part of a side project that Awinita is working on.

Comment

a single big planet isn't economic or useful.

Pros of a big planet:
                              -it's big
                              -lots of space
                              -you only have 1 planetary adress.

Cons
                              -traffic, air traffic, space traffic
                              -Supply train needs to be massive since mining your own planet is... far from feasible
                              -weather's a ***** on gas giants.
                              *If your building a shell as big as I suggested around something the size of Jupiter and you don’t incorporate a massive transit network into the shell itself you need to fire your megaengineers.
                              *Asteroids have far more and far more easily accessed minerals then a planet. Simply put, mining your own planet is difficult and wasteful. Unless you are looking for really rare stuff like neutronium or naquada.
                              *If you’re on a shell around a gas giant there is no weather. You are putting a custom made atmosphere on top of the shell.

Pros of multiple earths:
                              -less crowding
                              -greater survival chances against pesky things like humongous meteors, alien invasions, doomsday weapons, or simple malfunction of your powersources that causes an earth-shattering kaboom.
                              -less of a supply problem since you can comfortably mine your own planet. although i think a race like the Furlings can just eternally recycle.
                              -also things like weather aren't as much of a *****.
                              Cons of multiple earths:
                              *You did see the almost 40 billion times more surface area thing right?
                              *Any race that could build such a shell and still had problems with a giant asteroid needs to fire a lot of people. When have any of the advanced races ever had a problem with their reactors exploding?
                              *You shouldn’t be mining your own planet. Asteroids have more resources and are easier to get at.
                              *Weather still wouldn’t be a problem, since most advanced races can just control it.

not to mention:

-you can actually build on the surface of a small rocky planet
                              -if we're on the topic of building planets, they're quite easy to build.

i'm not an astrophysicist or astronomer or so, so i'm not sure how many planets you can squeeze into the habitable zone of a planet.
                              You can build on the surface of a sphere around a Jupiter as well. You could put nearly any amount of planets into the habitable zone on the condition there was an even number and there were two sizes which are not the same. The system you would create is called a rosette.
                              My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

good.

i think i left a note somewhere saying "you could also create an asteroid belt to mine since that's easier".

*You did see the almost 40 billion times more surface area thing right?
                                yes

but multiple earths doesn't require any complex shells and such.

in fact, why even bother building a megashell around a planet? you'd be easier off by just creating the shell only.

Comment

Working...
                                X