Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-S9 thread. For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you've already said you're not watching Season 9, ShadowMaat, but why can't you "not watch it" quietly? Why do you have to lead a charge against it? If you don't watch it, what does it matter that other people do?

I'm not so selfish and arrogant to assume that if I don't like something, it must be garbage and thrown out.
    I think that "not watching" Stargate and still voicing her opinions here regarding how bad it is is ShadowMaat's hobby. If she stopped doing that, she'd have to find something else to do with her time.

I agree with you, but that's just me expressing my opinion based on my understanding of commonsense.

Comment

It seems ShadowMaat put me on ignore. Figures...confront her with a little logic and she runs and hides.

Comment

Look people... I think we've gone off-topic now... as Shadow has said this is the Anti-Season 9 thread... if you want to venture in here, you should expect negative comments... Many members have legitimate concerns about Season 9 based on Seasons 7 & 8, I don't necessarily agree with all of them myself but I can see where they're coming from. The show has given them a lot of pleasure in the past and now they're disappointed with the changes that have taken place. If they want to find solace in having a place to let off steam... let them... This thread is created for them... you can likewise "switch off" if you don't like what's being said... don't spoil it for them...

Let's agree to disagree... but don't get personal.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Guys could we just calm it here please and get back on topic as Easter Lily has said. This forum is free for all to air the opinions on stargate so if one member has problem with it lets not bash them and start personal attacks please. I’m looking forward to season 9 but I still respect those who have worries about season 9.
          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
            Look people... I think we've gone off-topic now... as Shadow has said this is the Anti-Season 9 thread... if you want to venture in here, you should expect negative comments... Many members have legitimate concerns about Season 9 based on Seasons 7 & 8, I don't necessarily agree with all of them myself but I can see where they're coming from. The show has given them a lot of pleasure in the past and now they're disappointed with the changes that have taken place. If they want to find solace in having a place to let off steam... let them... This thread is created for them... you can likewise "switch off" if you don't like what's being said... don't spoil it for them...

Let's agree to disagree... but don't get personal.
            Trying not to make it personal, I have no problem with people who watch the show voicing their opinions; they can give as many negative opinions as they want. It's the people who don't actually watch an episode, but still critique it all to heck based on other's reviews or based on reading a transcript that I find rather odd. If one is going to give an opinion about a show, then watch the damned show, fcol. And if you don't watch the episode, then I don't see how you CAN criticise it OR praise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
              I’m looking forward to season 9 but I still respect those who have worries about season 9.
              I also respect people who have worries about season 9 (largely because I'm one of them ), but having worries about the show and wanting it cancelled are two very different things. People who want to see SG-1 over because they don't like it, at the expense of those who do, I see as selfish.

Comment

As has been pointed out this thread is an ANTI-Season 9 thread meaning that, for one reason or another, the people posting here don't want to see a ninth season. That doesn't mean to come in here and tell people how they should go about not wanting ninth season. Everyone is going to express their discontent differently. If there are people who are perfectly content to stew in silence and let the people looking forward to it have their fun then that's fine. If there are people who want to be vocal about why they don't want a season 9 that's fine too. The people who want a season 9 don't have to view this thread.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by norriski
                  OK, now here's a place for all of those that think Season 9 is a horrible idea, to express why they feel there is no hope for the show to go on.

(Thanks to Mod. Madeleine for giving the OK to start this thread)
                  I still think it's a horrible idea, I do think the future of the series is doomed and it does sadden me to see a show that I once thought was the best thing on television become something that I can no longer watch.

If people are genuinely interested in hearing why anyone could NOT be looking forward to S9, but are incapable of skimming over all of the MANY replies here to find the MANY reasons why MANY people are not looking forward to the coming season, I would be more than happy to once again express my opinions about it, but if people just want to tell us to stop watching the show and would prefer to belittle us rather than listen to what we have to say, then frankly I have better things to do with my time.

This thread is, quite plainly, for people who have a problem with season 9 and for people who want to know WHY people have a problem with season 9. It is NOT a thread for people who have a problem with people who have a problem with season 9 and it is NOT a place to say why YOU think the show is going to be great. That's what the PRO thread is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas Quinn
                    If you had actually read what I had posted you would find that I never "rhapsodized" about how great the show is gonna be...in fact, you'd have no way of knowing how I felt about season 9 from what I said. I simply asked why you all can't leave Stargate be for those who like it.
                    You actually said 'those of us still enjoying the show', which gives a pretty clear indicator of how you feel about Season 9. It's not cut and dry, but it's good enough to make an informed hypothesis.

I know you've already said you're not watching Season 9, ShadowMaat, but why can't you "not watch it" quietly? Why do you have to lead a charge against it? If you don't watch it, what does it matter that other people do?
                    It doesn't, and no-one is saying that anyone should stop watching. What is being said is that the posters here on the anti-Season 9 thread - who are, surprisingly enough, predominantly against the idea of a Season 9 - don't much want to watch and think it will be bad. This is part of the wonderful exchange of ideas that is part and parcel of free expression. The thread is clearly labelled and, furthermore, constitutes no kind of petition to cancel the show, although it may be read in parts as a plea for the PTB to let the poor thing die with a little dignity.

And really, do you honestly think that Shadow has the power to make the PTB cancel Stargate? She can be pretty persuasive on her good days, but SG-1 will sink or swim on its ratings and this is not a thread that will shift ratings.

I'm not so selfish and arrogant to assume that if I don't like something, it must be garbage and thrown out.
                    Actually, you have done. You've told Shadow to swallow her opinions and shut up, despite her being on-topic and within her rights, because you don't like what she is saying. You'll note that she hasn't gone to the pro thread and told everyone there to stop talking about how there should be another series because that could encourage a Season 9 and so ruin it for those of us who hate to see the mess that has become of Stargate.

Now, if this was the 'Is Season 9 a good idea or what?' thread, you would be quite entitled to argue in favour of S9, question - with supporting argument - Shadow's conclusions and respectfully disagree with her position. You would still not, however, be free to insult her, whether you think she is ignoring your posts - as is her right - or not. As it is, this thread has an express purpose and that is the discussion of why people who think that Season 9 is a bad move feel as they do. That is the topic and no-one should be attacked in any way, simply for expressing an opinion on that topic.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

People who want to see SG-1 over because they don't like it, at the expense of those who do, I see as selfish.
                      No, it's called expressing an opinion and it isn't selfish. They want the show to stop while it's hasn't totally gone down the drain.

I also respect people who have worries about season 9 (largely because I'm one of them ), but having worries about the show and wanting it cancelled are two very different things.
                      The same thing, yet different grades of severity. Those who want it cancelled, want it cancelled because they're worried that the show will be so worse that it'll destroy it's legacy.

Imo the show should've stopped at season 6, but since it's still running I'm worried that season 9 will be even worse than season 7. And even if season 9 gets better I'm worried about which recurring will be killed of in season 9.

All I can say is that I'll be watching season 9, but I rather don't have it.
                      Signed,

Gregorius
                      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        If people are genuinely interested in hearing why anyone could NOT be looking forward to S9, but are incapable of skimming over all of the MANY replies here to find the MANY reasons why MANY people are not looking forward to the coming season, I would be more than happy to once again express my opinions about it, but if people just want to tell us to stop watching the show and would prefer to belittle us rather than listen to what we have to say, then frankly I have better things to do with my time.

This thread is, quite plainly, for people who have a problem with season 9 and for people who want to know WHY people have a problem with season 9. It is NOT a thread for people who have a problem with people who have a problem with season 9 and it is NOT a place to say why YOU think the show is going to be great. That's what the PRO thread is for.
                        Again, I did not ask why people don't want a season 9, and, again, I don't have a problem with people who have a problem with season 9. I simply asked why those who have a problem with season 9 want to see the show cancelled at the expense of those who like it.

The only answer I can come up with is selfishness and/or arrogance, and since no one seems to have a different answer for me, I must conclude that I am correct.

Rest assured, unless I'm specifically addressed, this is my last post on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          And really, do you honestly think that Shadow has the power to make the PTB cancel Stargate? She can be pretty persuasive on her good days, but SG-1 will sink or swim on its ratings and this is not a thread that will shift ratings.
                          Oh man, if I had power over TPTB? Things would be SO different. Much skimpier outfits on the guys, for example. But the plotlines would, of course, all be very serious and hard-hitting and would naturally justify any skimpiness of clothing.

I actually did a summary or two for how I'd have developed S8. I could probably do the same for S9 if I were so inclined, but I'm not. And yeah, if I had any "power" at all, the show would have ended after S6.

Comment

Again, I did not ask why people don't want a season 9, and, again, I don't have a problem with people who have a problem with season 9. I simply asked why those who have a problem with season 9 want to see the show cancelled at the expense of those who like it.
                            Because a good portion of those people remember X-Files. The last seasons of that show destroyed the shows reputation and what probably would have been a lasting legacy.

In fact, this is a prime example of what happened to X-Files. Instead of being held up to what SG-1 should attempt to achieve, it is being held up to what SG-1 shouldn't do. Dwindle and then finally fade away because people stopped watching.

The people who want it to stop, want it to stop becuase they would rather have the show end than end up where they believe it is heading. Fate worse than death, or in this sense, fate worse than cancellation.
                            *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

The only answer I can come up with is selfishness and/or arrogance, and since no one seems to have a different answer for me, I must conclude that I am correct.
                              Seems to be something that you're good at.

Why might we want to see SG-1 cancelled at the expense of those who still enjoy it? Why do they want it continued at the expense of those who feel intense stabbing pains at the sight of what their beloved franchise has become?

We can't just choose to ignore the continuation, not if we want to remain part of a fandom where we have friends and an active presence. You can stop watching, but if you wanted to avoid all whisper of what's going on you would also have to drop Gateworld, forums and all. Besides, you would know that it was there and it would niggle at you like a hangnail. You'd read RT summaries, wince and hope it was just them getting it wrong but knowing that really it wasn't. You'd catch articles, trailers, snippets of it when you were channel-surfing.

Besides, if you love something, you don't want it dragged through the mud. You don't even want to think about where your poor show has got to. It's not as simple as just saying: I will no longer watch this. I stopped watching the X-Files, but I still knew that they were plodding on with Duchovny out of the picture and Scully becoming a blubbering girly-girl, desperate for a child. Even without details I hated the thought of what it had become and the memory of the last season I had seen tainted my enjoyment of episodes past that I had once enjoyed.

And then what happens if you don't watch? You start to be accused of not being a real fan. People say that your opinion on anything to do with the show - even the early seasons - doesn't matter because you only watched up to Season X. You become an alien in your own fandom.

That is why people want it to end. Because they want to be able to look at their complete collection of the DVDs and say: That was something good. They want to be able to line up for the movies - if movies there be - and think 'this is going to be awesome', instead of thinking 'will I get it, or will it all be following some Season 9 crap?' And if that is selfish, it's no more selfish than saying 'throw those anti-S9ers out into the cold', simply because they love their show too much to watch it rot or turn their backs.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                                Why might we want to see SG-1 cancelled at the expense of those who still enjoy it? Why do they want it continued at the expense of those who feel intense stabbing pains at the sight of what their beloved franchise has become?

We can't just choose to ignore the continuation, not if we want to remain part of a fandom where we have friends and an active presence. You can stop watching, but if you wanted to avoid all whisper of what's going on you would also have to drop Gateworld, forums and all. Besides, you would know that it was there and it would niggle at you like a hangnail. You'd read RT summaries, wince and hope it was just them getting it wrong but knowing that really it wasn't. You'd catch articles, trailers, snippets of it when you were channel-surfing.

Besides, if you love something, you don't want it dragged through the mud. You don't even want to think about where your poor show has got to. It's not as simple as just saying: I will no longer watch this. I stopped watching the X-Files, but I still knew that they were plodding on with Duchovny out of the picture and Scully becoming a blubbering girly-girl, desperate for a child. Even without details I hated the thought of what it had become and the memory of the last season I had seen tainted my enjoyment of episodes past that I had once enjoyed.

And then what happens if you don't watch? You start to be accused of not being a real fan. People say that your opinion on anything to do with the show - even the early seasons - doesn't matter because you only watched up to Season X. You become an alien in your own fandom.

That is why people want it to end. Because they want to be able to look at their complete collection of the DVDs and say: That was something good. They want to be able to line up for the movies - if movies there be - and think 'this is going to be awesome', instead of thinking 'will I get it, or will it all be following some Season 9 crap?' And if that is selfish, it's no more selfish than saying 'throw those anti-S9ers out into the cold', simply because they love their show too much to watch it rot or turn their backs.
                                So I was right after all. That's like saying you want to demolish an apartment building because you don't like the color, and you could care less about the people that live there.

Thanks for actually answering my question and not pretending I'd said something else...I respect that.
                                I don't agree with your reasoning, but I do appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

Comment

Working...
                                X