No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys do realize that if you properly spaced 500 megatons of nuclear explosions around an earth like world you could wipe out all life on the surface and create a nuclear winter lasting at least 20 years. In Stargate you could use say 50 dinky 100 megaton nukes and create a nuclear winter lasting hundreds of years.

You don't need dozens of gatebusters.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
      You guys do realize that if you properly spaced 500 megatons of nuclear explosions around an earth like world you could wipe out all life on the surface and create a nuclear winter lasting at least 20 years. In Stargate you could use say 50 dinky 100 megaton nukes and create a nuclear winter lasting hundreds of years.

You don't need dozens of gatebusters.
      We do realize that but vessels and structures in stargate are made of very dense materials so we wanted to go for a total annihilation effect plus It's easier to deploy 12 nukes than it is to deploy say 50
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
        Spoiler:
        If you want to you can use this Hyperspace shot

Spoiler:
        sigpic
        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I'd rather use mine. It has a more signature look to it which I'm going for.

But thanks anyway
          Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
            Sorry I haven't been on, had to study a lot of dutch, fun. Anyway, regarding the weapons list: Zake the list is fine, maybe some other weapons could be added but under a different name (keeping the description and specs the same but changing the name to fit the list). For example, putting the new version of the fusion missile in there using the new isotopes and naming it mark 60 missile instead of fusion2. My only concern is the development of the fleet. For example, after 40/50 years, we are still using railguns. I would of thought in the sg world, we would of found a better way of deploying projectile weapons.
            Would that list be used in 3.0?
            The list is of weapons equipped to ships. I didn't include missiles because you don't equip ships with missiles, just what is used to fire them. As for rail guns, if no one has a problem with it I can just change all rail guns to coil guns. They are a lot more effective anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              Concerns noted, essentialy theres going to significant potential to develop the fleet in 3.0 and when i say significant i do mean significant. I dont mean uber weapons but the Tauri are going to be growing in to the threat they really are to other races but not in an argressive way i just mean in thier ability to enforce power and protect people from the threats which will come about.
              Rail guns are a part of the fleet history, they were a vital weapon in the wraith wars, they are one of the most advanced kinetic weapons that can be devised, they were upgraded to coil guns and gauss guns. Personally i am happy with thier role, they are defensive in nature now, not offensive because we have Ion cannons and other energy weapons which are more destructive or effective agaisnt shields. Rail guns can still rip apart any unshielded target better than any other weapon, they are vital in defence, they are easy to produce and maintain, they dont cost as much as missiles and are not as power intensive as defensive ion cannons. in terms of logistics they are still the supreme defensive weapon. And they are great for the deensce of smaller vessels, cargo ships, and can be used on fighters so they can still fight even when missiles are expended. That is a vital asset. Plus as the Heleena halo opperation showed, then it comes to defending a fleet agaisnt say drones or unmanned mass ranks of fighters like darks or the Bio drones Talos devised or indeed just any kind of fighter, they are fantastic for deploying massive amounts of supression firepower back at an enemy. No other weapon can put as much destructive power and put it on so many targets as a rail gun. A large fleet with a good rail gun defense system is virtually imperverous to fighters, even ancient drones can be stopped by well aimed RG shells. They have a place. If i wanted to develop them i would make rail gun shells that are like missiles, the calibres are large enough to launch rockets which could then act independantly. That would be mynext rain gun evolution, like with guns today they have reached the point where they cant get better, bigger, or more powerful so its the ammunition which has to be upgraded, a form of rail gun missile or perhaps a nuclear rail gun shell (although K-naq round are very destructive). Thats what i would like to develop, better ways of using the technology we already have without turning it in to superweapons. The Dawn missile, seen in OHH is the truest superweapon the fleet has had, which was the missile which could wipe out all life on the surface of a planet. Planet busters wil lbe the last great superweapon of 2.0 and i hope we wont use them too much more, i do plan to use it one more time but thats the last time ill be using it.

Bo, you continue to amaze me
              Uh..dude, rail guns aren't that great. Coil guns are much better. And firing missiles from coil guns has existed in this fleet for more than 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                We do realize that but vessels and structures in stargate are made of very dense materials so we wanted to go for a total annihilation effect plus It's easier to deploy 12 nukes than it is to deploy say 50
                What he's saying is that what you guys are doing is overkill.

Comment

I think that was the point?

But that does bring up a question. Why would the tauri develop a nuke(s) that would totally decimate a planet? Doesn't that make us a little bit evil?
                  Visit my Website

Comment

Zake dont change all the rail guns to coil guns. Rail guns and Coil guns are both part of the fleet and i want them both in. We can look at the fully upgrade to coil guns for 3.0 but for the moment rail guns stay in because theyve been used so much changing them all to coil guns would make alot of battles confusing. Plus there is a nostalgia with Rail guns that make me want them to stay. Even if the military fully upgrade to coil guns or even gauss guns, others will still use rail guns because they are a good solid standby defence against alot of different targets. especially on the ground, they can defend a base much better than missiles, not against motherships but fighters and bombers are still at threat from rail guns.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Zake dont change all the rail guns to coil guns. Rail guns and Coil guns are both part of the fleet and i want them both in. We can look at the fully upgrade to coil guns for 3.0 but for the moment rail guns stay in because theyve been used so much changing them all to coil guns would make alot of battles confusing. Plus there is a nostalgia with Rail guns that make me want them to stay. Even if the military fully upgrade to coil guns or even gauss guns, others will still use rail guns because they are a good solid standby defence against alot of different targets. especially on the ground, they can defend a base much better than missiles, not against motherships but fighters and bombers are still at threat from rail guns.
                      Your decision makes no sense to me, and I kinda already started changing some of the ships. How would changing them to coil guns be confusing? Rail guns waste power. They are only like a third as effective at converting energy into ke as coil guns.

Comment

Look you can change the ships to the other weapon specs which caused such a kuffufle but dont take off the rails guns.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        11000! green me

Comment

Look you can change the ships to the other weapon specs which caused such a kuffufle but dont take off the rails guns.
                          Well, if you want to waste 70% of the power used to fire your guns, then I guess we'll continue using rail guns. But anyway, I made a render of my new Hurricane. I actually spent time on this one, so I hope y'all like it.

Comment

Ooh that is nice! and yes i do want to waste 70% of the energy
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

I would have thought that once a superior weapon was developed e.g. coil guns rail guns would have been fazed out and upgraded.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Look i dont care, were keeping the rail guns until 3.0 and we can rediscuss the fleet armaments them. This is gang up on tep day, all over this section im on the defensive
                                sigpic
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X