Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Next you'll be telling us you have a perpetual motion machine in your garage.
    Is it sad that I have one that I also travel in ? I hope not, as it is also the basis for one of my characters too

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Weeeelllll......
      One could argue that as many characters are drawn from our own experiences, our childhood does shape them as well
      If this is the case, then there is reason why Lake is an only child {but according to pentagon documents, she's got 8 siblings all younger then her, Sabre, Fynn, Nolan, Alki'r, Sete, Nine, Exumas and Proto}

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        I do not mean funeral plot there Gatefan
        Nor was I, it just happened to tie in well
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
          If this is the case, then there is reason why Lake is an only child {but according to pentagon documents, she's got 8 siblings all younger then her, Sabre, Fynn, Nolan, Alki'r, Sete, Nine, Exumas and Proto}
          I smell....... Dark Angel with a hint of Voyager..........
          sigpic

Comment

I smell....... Dark Angel with a hint of Voyager..........
            Nope, and nope; you are smelling though, in fact someone open a window please!

Comment

I prefer Clerks.
              "My love, is like a truck BESERKER!!"
              You know what's sad? I've only ever seen Clerks 2. *shakes head at self*

But the thing about literature, it's rather fickle, at least for me. There are some books I absolutely love, and are well deserving of the title literature. But then others are supposed to be these amazing classics, and it takes me forever to get through them because they're boring as hell.

For example. My freshman lit class in high school, we read such treats as Ishmael, and Sophie's World (the first about a gorilla that teaches a human about philosophy and the second about a girl who becomes self aware in the sense that she realizes she is the philosophical consideration of her real life counterpart). Sophie's World was actually somewhat decent, because it was kinda trippy. But Ishmael? Holy shoot-me-in-the-head-so-I-can-stop-reading, Batman! Only the fact that it was for a grade kept me reading.

On counterpoint, I devoured Greek mythology like nothing else. Edith Hamilton has a great anthology that I've read a gajillion times. Shakespeare too. I have a Complete Works lying around here somewhere. My current fave is Much Ado About Nothing, though Hamlet is a close runner up. Twelfth Night is also up there.

So... yeah. Literature is often a toss up as to whether or not I actually like literature.

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                I'm not a Dickens fan either, but he did have a way of turning a phrase. Personally, I'm more apt to quote Vonnegut.

I'm more of a Poe girl than Dickens and preferred Asimov to Vonnegut. I couldn't quote a one of 'em if my life depended on it, though (except a line from either The Raven or The Telltale Heart & some of the laws of robotics ).

A tiny bit of Shakespeare will make its way to the forefront of my brain once in awhile, mostly Mercutio's dying scene--I love how, even in death, his wit is as sharp as his sword. Even before I knew Shakespeare wrote a bunch of plays that could be read (), I had seen Romeo & Juliet about a dozen or more times. That and The Sound of Music and any Elvis movie would be on in our house if they were on the TV at the time. Most girls had a crush on Romeo; I adored Mercutio.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Akk!!

I..
                  Quoth.
                  no.
                  more..........

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                    I'm more of a Poe girl than Dickens and preferred Asimov to Vonnegut. I couldn't quote a one of 'em if my life depended on it, though (except a line from either The Raven or The Telltale Heart & some of the laws of robotics ).

A tiny bit of Shakespeare will make its way to the forefront of my brain once in awhile, mostly Mercutio's dying scene--I love how, even in death, his wit is as sharp as his sword. Even before I knew Shakespeare wrote a bunch of plays that could be read (), I had seen Romeo & Juliet about a dozen or more times. That and The Sound of Music and any Elvis movie would be on in our house if they were on the TV at the time. Most girls had a crush on Romeo; I adored Mercutio.

I fell in love with Vonnegut when I was about 12. We were reading Welcome to the Monkey House short stories in my FLAME class. When I was about 23 I happened across a copy and picked it up. Since then I've voraciously read everything I could get my hands on from him. One of my dreams is to adapt All the King's Horses into a short film.
                    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                      Dogma is probably Kevin Smiths *best* movie.

But the thing about literature, it's rather fickle, at least for me. There are some books I absolutely love, and are well deserving of the title literature. But then others are supposed to be these amazing classics, and it takes me forever to get through them because they're boring as hell.
                      Lord of the rings is an amazing classic, I too find it boring as bat poo, yet if I have to critique it, I have to remove myself from the equation.
                      For example. My freshman lit class in high school, we read such treats as Ishmael, and Sophie's World (the first about a gorilla that teaches a human about philosophy and the second about a girl who becomes self aware in the sense that she realizes she is the philosophical consideration of her real life counterpart). Sophie's World was actually somewhat decent, because it was kinda trippy. But Ishmael? Holy shoot-me-in-the-head-so-I-can-stop-reading, Batman! Only the fact that it was for a grade kept me reading.
                      Holy Extended Metaphor Selene

On counterpoint, I devoured Greek mythology like nothing else. Edith Hamilton has a great anthology that I've read a gajillion times. Shakespeare too. I have a Complete Works lying around here somewhere. My current fave is Much Ado About Nothing, though Hamlet is a close runner up. Twelfth Night is also up there.
                      I would have thought "A Midsummer's night Dream" would be up there as well.
                      So... yeah. Literature is often a toss up as to whether or not I actually like literature.
                      I can agree with that to an extent.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post

Sounds like me. Some of the stuff labeled literature, I'd rather jump into a tank full of sharks than read. Don't know that he's marked as literature, but Tolkien comes to mind. Bored. Me. Stiff. Long Day's Journey Into Night, Lord of the Flies, Inherit the Wind, The Crucible, The Scarlet Letter--loved 'em.

I loved Shakespeare, too--once you figured out the notes, the music of the language he used was incredible. It wasn't just the story being told, but the words used to tell the story. Amazing. Much Ado and Hamlet are wonderful pieces. Chaucer was a bit more work, but fun to figure out the sexual references (and there were many ).

I also loved the Greek myths--one of the few students who took the class in college for pleasure and really wanted to learn. I'm fascinated by most myths, TBH. Took a class on Arthurian literature, which studied myths of the Irish, Welsh and British peoples. Would have loved to have taken Scandinavian, too.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

We read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair in my freshman American Lit class in high school. And All Quiet on the Western Front. I liked the first and abhored the second.

I tend to run hot and cold on classic literature. I devoured anything written by the Bronte sisters. I really disliked To Kill a Mockingbird. (Sometime in my mid-twenties I became convinced I hadn't given Mockingbird a fair shake so I read it again. Despite different eyes I still didn't care for it much.)
                          Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Sounds like me. Some of the stuff labeled literature, I'd rather jump into a tank full of sharks than read. Don't know that he's marked as literature, but Tolkien comes to mind. Bored. Me. Stiff. Long Day's Journey Into Night, Lord of the Flies, Inherit the Wind, The Crucible, The Scarlet Letter--loved 'em.
                            *Looks up and Giggles*

I loved Shakespeare, too--once you figured out the notes, the music of the language he used was incredible. It wasn't just the story being told, but the words used to tell the story. Amazing. Much Ado and Hamlet are wonderful pieces. Chaucer was a bit more work, but fun to figure out the sexual references (and there were many ).
                            Shakespeare was just as full of Double Entendre as anyone else

I also loved the Greek myths--one of the few students who took the class in college for pleasure and really wanted to learn. I'm fascinated by most myths, TBH. Took a class on Arthurian literature, which studied myths of the Irish, Welsh and British peoples. Would have loved to have taken Scandinavian, too.
                            If you like Arthurian myths, I must ask if you have read either Mary Stewarts stories, or "the Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay, both are excellent arthurian stories, as for the Gaelic Myths, ask SF&C

For not studying Scandinavian Myths, I will crush your head with a hammer later............
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                              I tend to run hot and cold on classic literature. I devoured anything written by the Bronte sisters. I really disliked To Kill a Mockingbird. (Sometime in my mid-twenties I became convinced I hadn't given Mockingbird a fair shake so I read it again. Despite different eyes I still didn't care for it much.)
                              Same here with TKaM. Not a fan.

Shakespeare was just as full of Double Entendre as anyone else
                              Agreed. I found Chaucer to be a bit more work, though. Maybe it was my professor, with whom I had an equal relationship; I disliked him as much as he disliked me. I adored my Shakespeare professor, who even bought me a wedding gift, despite being unable to attend. He was blind and his seeing eye dog was a black lab named Edward.

If you like Arthurian myths, I must ask if you have read either Mary Stewarts stories, or "the Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay, both are excellent arthurian stories, as for the Gaelic Myths, ask SF&C
                              I don't recall reading The Fionavar Tapestry, but his name sounds familiar. I've read a lot of Mary Stewart. I've also read Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Gawain & the Green Knight and many others. Wish I could remember all their names right now. I had them on my bookshelves at the old house, but we moved recently and haven't gotten all the books unpacked yet (LONG story). I've been reading Gaelic myths (Finn mac Cumhaill, Deirdre & Naoise, Grainne & Diarmuid, Queen Maeve, the Fomorians, the Firbolg, the Tuatha de Danann) since I was a child. Patricia Kennealy Morrison wrote some fabulous books based on Irish myths.

For not studying Scandinavian Myths, I will crush your head with a hammer later............
                              I have only scratched the surface, but the tales of Loki and Thor and the other Norse gods fascinate me as well. Unfortunately, with children and a business comes limited time...
                              sigpic

Comment

Agreed. I found Chaucer to be a bit more work, though. Maybe it was my professor, with whom I had an equal relationship; I disliked him as much as he disliked me. I adored my Shakespeare professor, who even bought me a wedding gift, despite being unable to attend. He was blind and his seeing eye dog was a black lab named Edward.
                                Teachers have the potential to have a *massive* impact on what we may and may not like.

I don't recall reading The Fionavar Tapestry, but his name sounds familiar. I've read a lot of Mary Stewart. I've also read Le Morte D'Arthur, Sir Gawain & the Green Knight and many others. Wish I could remember all their names right now. I had them on my bookshelves at the old house, but we moved recently and haven't gotten all the books unpacked yet (LONG story). I've been reading Gaelic myths (Finn mac Cumhaill, Deirdre & Naoise, Grainne & Diarmuid, Queen Maeve, the Fomorians, the Firbolg, the Tuatha de Danann) since I was a child. Patricia Kennealy Morrison wrote some fabulous books based on Irish myths.
                                You really should do yourself a favor and track the G.G.K. books down, I think after reading the above you will quite enjoy them
                                I have only scratched the surface, but the tales of Loki and Thor and the other Norse gods fascinate me as well. Unfortunately, with children and a business comes limited time...
                                Hmm, I *still* have a hammer ready to swing......
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X