Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    No, no, and no! Bad Princess! While there is some merit to the "relax a bit before your exam" theory, you absolutely need your sleep the night before. For shame! **tsks and chucks Princess under her chin** Now go get a nap and take your studying in small chunks next time.
    *bites offending fist aimed at chin* No touchy!! It is true in many cases, see my previous post with its link Besides I am done with all my schooling anyhow, I'm a stuntwoman now, not a classroom target

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
      *bites offending fist aimed at chin* No touchy!! It is true in many cases, see my previous post with its link Besides I am done with all my schooling anyhow, I'm a stuntwoman now, not a classroom target
      You are brave!
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

and yes sometimes Tony and I get along Quite well, unless he is in a "Law Office of Dewey, Killum & Howe, I'm Howe. {eletric shock therapy here}"
        Wouldn't that be eelectric shock therapy? ::ducks and runs away, giggling madly::

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          Wouldn't that be eelectric shock therapy? ::ducks and runs away, giggling madly::
          At least he is not a banker "Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe"

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Someone has been into the wine...........
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              Someone has been into the wine...........
              I wondered where it went.....

Comment

It's nearly midnight. Of course I'm drinking wine, silly people.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

At least he is not a banker "Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe"
                  That's lawyers...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

That's lawyers...
                    No actually the lawyers are "Ditcher, Quick & Hyde" and also "Kickam, Harter & Indagroyne" then there's the private detective, "Hyden Zeke" and also the other lawyers "Cess, Poole & Drayne {probates and wills only}"

Comment

Yes, and when you find the water is freezing someone goes and knocks you in headfirst screaming and kicking....
                      Oh dear... *takes a few steps back*

Sorry lemming Kate told me to calm you down that week or she'll feed me to Tony {and no Tony is not a Wraith, but a eletric Eel}
                      Yikes!

My son's already planning on designing my hero's sword for me--he's an awesome artist when it comes to weaponry and armor. But I may be a bit prejudiced...
                      I'd use his skills if I were you, prejudiced or not, having a good grasp of how weaponry and armory might look is very important to the detail of one's story. At least it does for me, but that's probably because weaponry (of all ages) and armor interests me a great deal (plenty of swords in my collection and one wearable chainmail shirt).

Maybe if you know some music groups that play & sing in a Scandinavian tongue--older, Medieval-sounding stuff, that might help. I had one on my YouTube a while ago, but don't know if I saved any of their stuff. Or maybe they were Germanic.
                      I did a quick search and found it's called Neo-Medieval music.

Bands specializing in neo-Medieval music are particularly plentiful in Germany, although the genre also enjoys some popularity in North America, The Czech Republic, the Netherlands, France, Great Britain, Italy and the Scandinavian countries.
                      I think you could possibly find some inspiration from the bands mentioned.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

While there is some merit to the "relax a bit before your exam" theory, you absolutely need your sleep the night before.
                        When I was in grad school, I would sometimes go to bed about 6 pm and get up at 4 in the morning to study. Worked for me.

Someone earlier mentioned Nano--I gave up on it because i) I realized I could blather on for 50k about anything, without ending up with useable material and b) the region I live in cared more for the word count than the writing.

But if you need structure, it's a good place to start. 1,667 words each day for 30 days.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Thanks for the link, FH--I'll check it out!

Seaboe--Know I mentioned it somewhere, but I once heard Nora Roberts credited with saying, "I can edit garbage. I can't edit a blank page." Like I said, even if I only achieve half the count, I'll have a start. Writing original fic is like writing fan fic--quality is measured on a person by person basis. There are lots of online meeting places, as well; we could even set one up here.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                          Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

WW, I took a 50k nano project and ended up with a 9k story. That's a bit more than just editing.

I did nano for 5 years before I decided it just doesn't work for me. I still, however, think it's a great idea, and if I lived anywhere else, I might've stuck with it just for the enthusiasm. It just got to the point I couldn't hack the "oh noes! some other region wrote more words than us! we have to beat them! everybody write lots!" attitude.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I once thought about doing NaNo, but the more I hear about things like that, the happier I am not doing it. I manage to do my fair share of writing anyway, so I'm probably not missing anything but additional stress.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                                WW, I took a 50k nano project and ended up with a 9k story. That's a bit more than just editing.

I did nano for 5 years before I decided it just doesn't work for me. I still, however, think it's a great idea, and if I lived anywhere else, I might've stuck with it just for the enthusiasm. It just got to the point I couldn't hack the "oh noes! some other region wrote more words than us! we have to beat them! everybody write lots!" attitude.

Seaboe
                                That would suck the joy right out of it. I totally understand. I haven't done it the past two years because my mornings (my most productive time to write) have been too busy with getting the kids off to school.

I just want you to know that you're welcome to join us when we put together the Gateworld NaNo thread later this year (closer to NaNo time so the thread doesn't get buried, although I may open it earlier as a place to exchange ideas and ask research questions). It'll also be a place to share accomplishments and accept hugs when you don't make your personal goals. It will be a very low-pressure environment.

If you don't care to join, I understand that, too. Sounds like your experience was not a positive one. {{HUGS}} And not every thing works for every person. It's good when you know what works for you and what doesn't.

For me, I think I need that discipline. Someone said earlier (I think it was amara), that much as she loves to write, if she doesn't make herself sit down and do it, something else (like the vacuuming) will take precedence. That's me right there; plus, I have a lot of people wanting bits and pieces of me. If I tell them, "I'm writing. I need to get 1,000 words in today" (or an hour or whatever), they'll be like, "Why?" If I say that I'm writing a story, I get the, "Of course you are, dear" look and the pat on the head (not actual or I'd have to bite someone's hand off ).

If I tell them I'm doing NaNo (which they can read about online) and that we have to reach a goal of 1666 words a day for 30 days in order to achieve success, they still don't understand (I know a lot of--shall we say, not very literate?--people), but they do respect that I'm doing this crazy thing for this one month. This is not my DH & boys--they support me if I came up and said, "Leave me alone for an hour to write!" (Well, DH supports me if it doesn't eat into his snuggle time and the boys support me but still argue with each other, which is distracting. ) The other people in my life look at me like I just grew a third head when I tell them I need this time to write (my MIL, people in my sales group, my manager, etc). I know, I know--just tell them to jigger off ; easier said than done, sometimes. It's one of the reasons I find it easier to write early in the morning--either no one else is up or they think I'm not up yet (that would be my MIL), and with the business associates, they know I don't answer my phone until after 9:00 anyway.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X