Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Sorry I speak fluent geek, and being married to an English teacher does not help Either..........

Well, I'm only speaking from a Roleplayers perspective, but having something like that really does help define a characters responses that may run contra to what *you* yourself may do (though I know *plenty* of Roleplayers that will never step outside the "comfort zone" of a personality that is fairly similar to thier own)

HAHAHA
    I loved it, even did extra courses in it
    Well, I have a pretty vivid imagination and I guess you could say I've been doing roleplaying games ever since getting my first dolls, Barbies and Legos, so maybe that's why I don't have any trouble defining characters without such analysis or stepping out of my comfort zone!
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Well, I have a pretty vivid imagination and I guess you could say I've been doing roleplaying games ever since getting my first dolls, Barbies and Legos, so maybe that's why I don't have any trouble defining characters without such analysis or stepping out of my comfort zone!
      Don't get me wrong fems, I've played plenty of games where things such as "alignment" don't exist (White Wolf's World of Darkness or Cyberpunk spring immediately to mind) and I have never found it to be a issue either
      Some people like such things, I can take em or leave em.
      Whatever works for you..........works
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Here is another example folks may find interesting, the character sheet from Pendragon, specifically the personality traits section:
        http://www.scribd.com/doc/56111015/M...n4eCharSheet10
        sigpic

Comment

Gatefan, I had a look at the sheet. How do you prevent everyone from maxing out their characters in all traits? I've been in role plays that quickly goes downhill since so many want their characters to be better than everyone else at everything. Their people are older, wiser, smarter, stronger. It makes for a boring time.
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Gah, it's like you're all talking another language here... and I'm not referring to English!

I really, really don't see the need of having to analyze the characters' nature or whatever other aspect of a story unless it's to improve one's writing, like when talking about mechanics of writing or narration. But to start analyzing characters, motive, motto and 'hidden meanings' from written work just seems pointless to me unless you're studying or working/specializing in Literature of course.

And yes, this was one of the main reasons I really disliked Literature in high school.
            I never much like English literature in school either. Only through writing has my interest in such things developed.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
              I never much like English literature in school either. Only through writing has my interest in such things developed.
              I wasn't interested in any kind of literature (I mean books of the literary genre) of any language and it didn't help that we had to write boring reports about the books, delving into all the hidden meanings which I'm pretty sure most of the writers didn't even concern themselves with while writing and would probably be surprised to learn of those analyses themselves. Plus, we were only allowed to read two books by the same author so whenever I found a suitable book, I usually chose the next one from the same author but at the same time you had to coordinate with the group (of 4) you were in to make sure you all read at least a minimum of so many books in the different languages together (because after three years you had to discuss all the books you'd read in that time with your group in front of one teacher per language for a grade). It was hell!

And this is coming from someone who loves to read books. I just prefer fiction over literature. You know, so I can relax, read a good story and get sucked into this other world instead of nitpicking the way it was written and all those horrible details that went with literature.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Gatefan, I had a look at the sheet. How do you prevent everyone from maxing out their characters in all traits? I've been in role plays that quickly goes downhill since so many want their characters to be better than everyone else at everything. Their people are older, wiser, smarter, stronger. It makes for a boring time.
                Are you refering to the Pendragon one MP?
                If so, you may have noticed that the 2 sides of the column are essentially opposites, and are essentially rated out of 20 for the pair (so a Chaste of 14 would leave a net 6 lustful for example). Also not all the traits are useful or even wanted as different roles value each trait differently (for example, a characters religion can determine exactly what traits a person values based on said religion, the Jewish traits are different to the Christian traits, which are different to the Wotan traits)

Also, The Referee/GM/DM can use the traits to "force" a character to act in a certain way IF the player is not reflecting the traits (such as a character not chasing the nobles daughter when they have a Lustful score of 16+.............)
                As for characters being "better", well, Pendragon handles that by each "adventure" being a year and as your character ages, they generally get worse, rather than better to reflect that process. This however is somewhat offset by the fact that a "full pendragon campaign" would take place over the lifespan of not one but 3 different characters. Unlike alot of other games as well, there is no experience point system, you get better in skills by using them and training in the "downtime" of each year, so it is self limiting to an extent as well.
                It's actually one of the best systems around IMHO, and very realistic if you want to play a game where the main characters are knights/warriors but don't want to deal with "magic" all the time, Pendragon is extremely low in magic.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Thanks for the answer.
                    Welcome
                    sigpic

Comment

Here is a pretty strange question I posed on my fellow roleplayers in the Multiverse. {yes I also roleplay online at Roleplaygateway.com} Basically I asked the following question, but since I asked it in the chatroom we have and use {which is insanely active as heck} I never saw the answers.

So I now ask it here.

When you write, or roleplay, have you made a character based off one of your pets ? be it a bird, or cat, or dog ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                        Here is a pretty strange question I posed on my fellow roleplayers in the Multiverse. {yes I also roleplay online at Roleplaygateway.com} Basically I asked the following question, but since I asked it in the chatroom we have and use {which is insanely active as heck} I never saw the answers.

So I now ask it here.

When you write, or roleplay, have you made a character based off one of your pets ? be it a bird, or cat, or dog ?
                        Very good question. The closest I've come to owning my own pet is having to take care of my brother's long-lived turtle (the turtle is something like 25 now) on a long-term basis. I've been the turtle's steward for quite a while now. I've never created a character based on the turtle though.

Interesting you mention this since one of my characters' favorite pastimes in Broken Silence is to telepathically talk to animals, as well as mesh with them (as in telepathically inhabit their body) in order to basically live as one of them. An outgrowth of this ability is that he knows how to dominate their minds en masse.
                        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 07 May 2012, 06:27 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                          I never have, but a system that would be perfect for this is Palladiums Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's system (Hero's Unlimited has a basic system, but the TMNT one is much more detailed)
                          sigpic

Comment

And this is coming from someone who loves to read books. I just prefer fiction over literature.
                            Literature is fiction, and fiction is literature, at least in American English...

You know, so I can relax, read a good story and get sucked into this other world instead of nitpicking the way it was written and all those horrible details that went with literature.
                            It's literature even when you don't pick anything apart. "Literature" can be the name of an academic subject, but it is also a word for reading material. I'm guessing you enjoyed reading the stories just fine, but it was the analysis you didn't enjoy?

For my part I've discovered that the analysis part, which I didn't enjoy as a high school student, is actually turning out to be quite useful in helping me to structure my own writing of fiction.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                            sigpic
                            now also appearing on DeviantArt
                            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Perhaps I should start a new RPG "help line" thread??
                              sigpic

Comment

I think there is a subforum for role-playing.

But yes, I have used pets as characters. My son's dog features prominently in my current story. He even graciously allowed me to use his name (the dog, not my son). Last time we saw each other, he was eager for updates.

Comment

Working...
                                X