Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    If we are talking about free time I often say to some of my friends... "What's a Weekend?"

I am often told off by my neices because they don't see me as often as they would like to see me. To quote Priye the youngest, "Uncle Michael you work too much!"
    But I do try to make some time for myself. If I don't I'm sure I'll go crazy.
    I know a guy who once worked every day and barely made time for his kids until his oldest was in a car accident when he turned his life around {his oldest was seven at the time} since then he made a point to get his kids each a cellphone, AND drive them to school every morning AND call them at lunch even though he just saw them at breakfast, and also pick them up fro mschool in the afternoon, Ontop of that with his mind mostly on his family he got promoted and given the corner office and everything, but each day he made a point ot have lunch with his wife, and calling his kids over lunch as well.

aqlso; starfist, your name is Mike ?? o.0

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yes my name is Mike/Michael.

I do make the time to see the girls on their Birthdays and at Christmas.
      But I am trying this year to see them more.

I work a two day, two night, two off shift rotation.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Say bye bye to online/free life...
        I will probably have to pare my online fun back a bit... but I'll be going to school online, probably just part-time to start with. So I'm trying to get really good at time management between now and then.

For the sake of comparison, back in the mid-1980's I worked, supported myself, attended college in a physical classroom, and managed to still have a social life, indulge my taste for involvement in the performing arts, and find time both to read at least a scifi novel per week on average and to write. Granted, I probably could get by with a bit less sleep back then than I require now, but the difference isn't that huge.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Woo hoo! I just got my Magnus boots delivered! They fit, and they look awesome. They're the ones that look like the ones she wore in Season 3's Breach.

They're a little stiff, but a few weeks of wearing them in my off hours will break them nicely. I totally wish I could wear them to the office. But apparently they're not business appropriate. Psh. They would be if I worked in a motorcycle shop. I'm working at the wrong job.

Next stop, Magnus jacket!

Comment

If we're speaking of items that we've purchased.

I found a 1/32nd scale model of a new style Cylon Raider from BSG.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Ugh. I really hate it when people leave you an anonymous review with criticism in it. I understand the ones about not liking a particular twist, event or even a character but it would be really nice if people wouldn't say things like "it's not well-rounded" and then just draw the conclusion that's just because I want as many reviews as possible and say the characterization isn't good without giving any specific examples (well, apparently my Jacks are very lovey-dovey although I have no idea where or when because they certainly aren't in my opinion).

And it's not like I can't take any constructive criticism but it would be nice if people wouldn't just leave something like that without giving me a way to respond and ask for clarification and/or explain my reasoning. You know it's fine if you just want to flame someone but when they end the review with something along the lines of looking forward to seeing more because there's potential then how am I supposed to learn anything from it and grow into my potential if they leave such vague comments?
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Maybe you can start your next chapter with a note to the one who left you that review... maybe they'll make themselves known.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  Ugh. I really hate it when people leave you an anonymous review with criticism in it. I understand the ones about not liking a particular twist, event or even a character but it would be really nice if people wouldn't say things like "it's not well-rounded" and then just draw the conclusion that's just because I want as many reviews as possible and say the characterization isn't good without giving any specific examples (well, apparently my Jacks are very lovey-dovey although I have no idea where or when because they certainly aren't in my opinion).

And it's not like I can't take any constructive criticism but it would be nice if people wouldn't just leave something like that without giving me a way to respond and ask for clarification and/or explain my reasoning. You know it's fine if you just want to flame someone but when they end the review with something along the lines of looking forward to seeing more because there's potential then how am I supposed to learn anything from it and grow into my potential if they leave such vague comments?
                  I know the feeling. It's so frustrating when that happens. Conversely, I always get giddily excited when someone reviews my story and leaves a long elaborate critique. I get doubly bubbly when its an author I've read and liked myself. Even if its just to point out where my fic falls short-- I'm always flattered beyond belief. I live for those reviews.

I'm sorry you got one of the bad kinds. The anonymous part feels like proverbial icing on the cake sometimes. So frustrating...

Comment

Maybe you can start your next chapter with a note to the one who left you that review... maybe they'll make themselves known.
                    It was the final chapter!

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                    I know the feeling. It's so frustrating when that happens. Conversely, I always get giddily excited when someone reviews my story and leaves a long elaborate critique. I get doubly bubbly when its an author I've read and liked myself. Even if its just to point out where my fic falls short-- I'm always flattered beyond belief. I live for those reviews.

I'm sorry you got one of the bad kinds. The anonymous part feels like proverbial icing on the cake sometimes. So frustrating...
                    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've received plenty of those too and this is only one anonymous review, but it's just so frustrating. I've had other people who disagreed with certain things and we usually discuss it over PMs but when you point out everything you think is wrong with a fic (plus drawing false conclusions about my own motivation) without any real arguments or examples and then implying you hope they will learn from this and grow to fulfill some kind of potential don't do it anonymously!

It's not that it's a bad review that bothers me, it's the fact it's an anonymous one. If I'd known my story (solution or characters? Whatever they meant) wasn't well-rounded and my Jacks were too lovey-dovey then clearly I wouldn't have written it like that, now would I? Believe me, I'm not averse to learning from my mistakes, as long as I can see them...
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

It was the final chapter!
                      Oh...

Comment

Well, what do you know! I'm just complaining about that anonymous review and then I receive what I think is my first real flame! But hey, at least it isn't anonymous. Now I'll just have to wait to see if they respond and tell me how exactly I've disgraced even cheap trashy romance novels and wrote complete and utter drivel. Really, I think that's quite a feat considering how relatively few actual romantic scenes are in it. Not to mention that this person apparently managed to make it through all 233K words just to tell me this.

I'm intrigued to say the least...
                        On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Flames keep you warm.

Comment

So I've heard! I'm not sure I need the heat though considering the warm temperatures outside...
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

So I've heard! I'm not sure I need the heat though considering the warm temperatures outside...
                              The moment I hit post, that thought crossed my mind as well....

Comment

The moment I hit post, that thought crossed my mind as well....
                                Lemming does not get thoughts when amped up..... *sneaks Lemming some Sergiys HIGH OCTANE Coffee*

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X