No announcement yet.

Return of the Ancients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot how much there was... I'm only a third way through season one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
      I forgot how much there was... I'm only a third way through season one.
      yes; if u add up all the different episodes, the whole story is probably one of the longest Stargate fanfics; think Aer-Ki has review for all those eps totalling at least 1000 by now

BTW, Bane, will u be continuing The Lost Colony of the Ancients?
      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

I have a week of holidays, im a reader first and writer second. I was hoping to catch up on most of the stories i haven't had a chance to read while i was busy.

After i've read, and i've still got time i would say i would probably write some more.

TBH i've sort of lost connection with the story plot, if you have any idea's let me know!

Comment

The drone's that where talked about in http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6222466/..._Season_2_Ep_2 , is there anything on them in the wiki?

Comment

I was hoping the Ascended Empire would take a more direct approach to dealing with the Alterra than using Remus.

Stupid Ascended Empire, manipulating a already screwed up mind!

Comment

I have a week of holidays, im a reader first and writer second. I was hoping to catch up on most of the stories i haven't had a chance to read while i was busy.

After i've read, and i've still got time i would say i would probably write some more.

TBH i've sort of lost connection with the story plot, if you have any idea's let me know!
              Will do, bro; will do!
              I was hoping the Ascended Empire would take a more direct approach to dealing with the Alterra than using Remus.

Stupid Ascended Empire, manipulating a already screwed up mind!
              They don't seem to care as long as Remus can't harm thewm up in their rather secure plane of existence; how altrusitic, eh?
              If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
              [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

bump + link to an awesome song ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk if, you, rota fans won't like it, something is wrong with the universe
                ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Man i'm going crazy o update!!!
                  Better a diamond with a flaw than a peeble without

Comment

...hoping that are'ki's gonna give us an episode in honor of the longest night of the year
                    ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

I hope so too.
                      I've been finished with fall semester at my uni since the 9th. I've re-read the entire series twice in that time (I was bored, okay?).

Aer'ki, I have some info about the potentia I want to share.

Purely out of curiousity, several summers ago I looked up info about them. Among the things I found was the estimated amount of energy needed for Atlantis' shield to hold back the ocean for 10,000 years. I forget the exact math now and sadly never saved the page to my bookmarks. However, I remember the result.

The shield needed approximately 50 petawatts of power per year to keep the city protected. Doing some minor math now, that works out to approximately 166 & 2/3 exawatts (166 & 2/3 * 10^18 watts) per potentia (50 petawatts * 10,000 years / 3 potentia)

I decided to take the math a bit further after re-reading your story.

Now, at this point, I'm going to be making a ton of assumptions. If I make a mistake (or 10), please feel free to laugh at me while correcting my mistake in a demeaning way.

Solar radiation at a distance of 1 AU (mean distance from the earth to the sun) is roughtly 1 kW per square meter. We can use the inverse square law to determine the approximate output of solar radiation at 1 mile from the surface (makes the calculations easier on me).
                      Using the inverse square law, the answer is 1000 W/m^2 * 93,000,000^2 = 8,649,000,000,000,000,000 W/m^2 (8.649 exawatts or 8.649*10^18 watts).

We'll assume that only 10% of the spectrum of solar radiation can be collected to charge a potentia. That means that 864.9 petawatts per square meter is usable.

Now, as I said, this is 1 mile from the surface (practically the surface on the scale of a solar system).
                      I'll assume the collectors are 93,000 miles from the surface. Which means the power collected is reduced to 1/93000^2 or a total of 100,000,000 W/m^2 (100 megawatts/m^2).

The collectors mentioned in the series were 3 km in diameter and I'm going to assume they're circular. A single collector then has an area of about 28,274,333.88 square meters. Meaning each collector receives roughly 2,827,433,388,200,000 watts (2.827 petawatts).

I'm going to take a break to say:
                      This is getting a little tricky!

I'm assuming that figure is measured per hour to make the calculation easy.

I'm assuming there are a total of 17 collectors (based on something Rodney said while helping Janus deploy them**). Meaning the specific potentia factory mentioned receives about 48 petawatts per hour. Meaning it can recharge a single potentia every roughly every 144 days.

Now, as I said above, this is based on the earths star. Other stars will have radically different outputs depending on a lot of conditions.

Once again, please feel free to correct me if you believe I've made an incorrect assumption or done the math wrong.
                      Also, I hope no one minds me posting here.

Also, I couldn't find the spoiler button at the top. If anyone knows how to spoiler something, please let me know so I can shorten it. Thanks in advance.

** http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5595442/...Season_1_Ep_16

Comment

Dokuritsushin...thank you for the calculations. They're intriguing. Not sure where the 10,000 year power consumption figure comes from, don't think it was in the series. Maybe a source book or something. Either way, it's new info for me, so thanks!
                        One thing I'd point out is that it's unlikely that the potentia in Atlantis were 100% when the evacuation to earth took place. Thus I'd guess that they hold a bit more energy than calculated.
                        Also, part of the energy absorbed by the collection arrays is used to power their collection and protective shields, else they'd fry. Add in that they're not in orbit, but floating over the star in position held aloft by anti-gravity engines that also suck up some power. Then throw in some minor loss of power during transfer through space...
                        End result is the 144 day estimate is a bit low, but it still should be inside of a year.
                        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

IIRC, the figures came from the show. They were never explicitly stated, but given the things they were able to do with a potentia (such as hold back the weight of an entire ocean), estimates could be made.

I didn't think about the shields on the collector or the slight inefficiency in transfer. Also, I'd imagine the potentia factory needs power to operate. I don't feel like doing the math right now (headache), but off the top of my head, I'd say around 350 days to recharge 1 potentia.

Comment

Its nice to see that you're still writing!

Comment

Its nice to see that you're still writing!
                              Yea saw that too, right after I reread ROTA, now I'm rereading that now, forgot how good is was, but nt as good as ROTA, hint hint

Comment

Originally posted by Burns View Post
                                Yea saw that too, right after I reread ROTA, now I'm rereading that now, forgot how good is was, but nt as good as ROTA, hint hint
                                sorry; don't get it as u seem to be comparing the same stories

Comment

Working...
                                X