Jack/Sam Fic Recs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starlover View Post
    *comes out of lurkdom in this thread...where she is only clicking on links but not posting*

Ooohh...ya have more linkies*bats eyelashes*

I'm a Fanfic junky!
    What? You can't go through her LJ? I gotta do all the work?! LOL!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
      What? You can't go through her LJ? I gotta do all the work?! LOL!
      Erm...yeah...

*looks around*

*looks in mirror*

Don't I have that bord "I'm very lazy" anymore?

sigpic

Comment

So...here's the thing. I have tons...TONS of fanfic. Stuff I've downloaded and compiled. I have some in .pdb (for Palm) and 256 MB of fic in either Word doc's, rtf's, or txt files.

I was thinking of tossing them up onto a web page, but that'd take ages.

Anyone got ideas? I'm wondering if I could set up a file-sharing thing...but...hmmm. Thoughts? I just thought I'd share a bunch of what I've god.

Let me know what you all think.
        Pol
        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
          So...here's the thing. I have tons...TONS of fanfic. Stuff I've downloaded and compiled. I have some in .pdb (for Palm) and 256 MB of fic in either Word doc's, rtf's, or txt files.

Anyone got ideas? I'm wondering if I could set up a file-sharing thing...but...hmmm. Thoughts? I just thought I'd share a bunch of what I've god.

Pol
          *gets giddy only of thought of that much fanfic*

Upload

You can use Fileden, megaupload, sendspace or Yousendit

I've used myself Fileden, Megaupload and Yousendit...all work good.(just ignore the adds on the sites lol )
          sigpic

Comment

If the fic isn't yours. Written by you, I wouldn't just put it up there unless you can give proper credit. You may just want to post the names of the fic and/the authors names if you have them and let us do a google search for them.
            sigpic

Comment

yeah, if it's not yours, i wouldn't upload it as separate fic. It's rude and it's not your fic to post.

If you wish to use an upload site to upload a zipped file of all of them for people to download, that's your business, but you really can't put the fic up.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Oops, I guess the Mod has spoken. Certainly wasn't intending to step on toes, I know there are lots of sites (the Stargate Novel Archive) that has compiled fics out there, just thought I'd add to the mix.

Oh well, happy fic finding folks. There's lots of good stuff out there.

Pol

Comment

i know, as an author, I don't want you takiing fic off my site and putting it up on your own without my permission. In fact, many authors have a 'do not repost with out permission' on thier fic.

all issues with mgm etc owning the characters aside, while they may own the characters, the authors own the fic, so, technically, it's a copyright infringement to repost it. You are, in essence, doing the same as photocopying a book and passing it out.

However, if you want to share the file of all the fic, people have been doing that since the beginning of the net

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

Pol
                    When I download stories, I preserve the top headers in the Word docs I'm going to print and read. If you've done that too, you could link us to the authors' sites and tell us which fics you like. Then, we could go to their sites and download them ourselves.

Or provide direct links. I know it's a lot of trouble, but so is setting up a web page and uploading stuff to it.

Just another idea...

Comment

yeah, a link rec page would be great and wouldn't break any rules

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        However, if you want to share the file of all the fic, people have been doing that since the beginning of the net
                        I think by this you mean that if I make a link to a zipped file that just has a pile of fic in it, that's okay? And yes, I believe that most, if not all, still have the original headers as pulled from ff.net.

Just want to be sure I understood your last bit.

Edit. If that's the case, anyone who wants to d/l the zipped folders, go here.
                        Last edited by Pol; 12 February 2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

that's what i mean. file shareing is fine. reposting someone else's work isn't.

sigpic

Comment

Holy cats, I must have been really slow last night. I didn't mean in my original post at all that I was going to repost anyone's work. Yeesh, I must have worded that badly.

My plan was to simply put a list of compiled stories up with a link to the doc/rtf/txt/pdb for others to download.

But then Skydiver's post came up and provided me with a much better (and way faster) solution. Simply post a link to the entire zipped folder! ( "D'oh!")

Thanks to all for their input (and patience with my seeming thick-headedness) last night.

Pol

Comment

I tried downloading the first zip file but when I went to open the documents, they wouldn't open
                              sigpic

Comment

d/l-ing in now to check. The d/l went okay...the file is a zipped file so that should open okay...

Tammy, are you on a PC? Did you (sorry, this is probably a dump question, considering what you do for a living) but did you select "Extract all"?

I tested the files on my Mac, Meg's Mac, Sher's Dell, and Sher's VAIO. All with good results.

Let me know (anyone, really) if others are having the same problem.

P.

Comment

Working...
                                X