Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
    I think one fic summary seemed plausible. Jack was an instructor at ROTC when Sam passed through. Somewhat believable yet at the same time i found the concept kinda squicky. Teacher Student relations are rather shudder worthy as i personally found out (Succinctly, i found my Grade 10 history teacher at the club. That was disturbing for both of us)
    Hmm. Definitely squicky on the teacher/student, unequal power level. But I also just can't see it, given the characters they become and especially Carter's military brat childhood and her aspiration to join NASA. I don't think I'd ever believe a story that had her in a relationship with an instructor/teacher.

And yes! What is it with Sex = Baby in one go? I guess it's belief in the adage of "If you want her to get pregnant, your chances are around 10%, if you don't want her to get pregnant, your chances are the remaining 100% counting for a 10% margin of +/- error
    Maybe because it's portrayed that way a lot in pop culture? I can't count how many movies I've seen where the main couple finally gets one night of passion or whatever and at the end there's a pregnancy or kid.

Also, presumably the characters in SG are responsible adults and would be using some kind of birth control/protection, the failure rate of which isn't exactly astronomically high.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    or there was one where jack was a young pilot and sam was a early teenager with jacob assigned to the same base

plausible even as the ship aspect squicks me severely
    Ehh, yeah, squicky for me too. Depending on the actual ages it gives and how far the relationship went... *shudder*

I don't care if it's a person's OTP or whatever, under some circumstances it's just not appropriate for two people to get involved. See also aforementioned kidfic stuff, about which I'm in total agreement.

Comment

Best S/J fics parody ever! In fact, it's one of the best parody!fics I've read in any fandom. And! It's a trilogy! As all good things come in threes.

That said, them two have some lovely quality S/J fics on their sites. But since we're talking bad!fic... This is the story that spoofs them all.
      Last edited by slurredspeech; 24 November 2009, 03:34 AM.
      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
        Best S/J parody ever! In fact, it's one of the best parody!fics I've read in any fandom. And! It's a trilogy! As all good things come in threes.

That said, them two have some lovely quality S/J fics on their sites. But since we're talking bad!fic... This is the story that spoofs them all.
        I believe you have singlehandedly made me love Sam and Jack all over again ^_^
        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I believe you have singlehandedly made me love Sam and Jack all over again ^_^
          Since it's you, I'm going to go on and feel proud.

But, yeah. All credit goes to the writers.
          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Since it's you, I'm going to go on and feel proud.

But, yeah. All credit goes to the writers.
            You should! if it involves Sam/Jack and i'm entertained/impressed, it's tantamount to a miracle.

just finished the second one, OMG. The hilarity! The Truth! The Reality of it! It's so epically perfect in a bad way that it just deserves acknowledgement!

It's my Sam/Jack all grouped together into one cohesive 23k word masterpiece!

Okay okay, i'll stop but i still found this side splittingly funny :F I'd green you for the find if i could but i need to spread some
            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
              Jack's a virgin.
              Urrrrrr.... so what was Charlie then? The immaculate conception?!

And didn't O'Neil do the deed in that Season 1 ep where the people passed out every night and he got all old (sorry, crummy at ep names!!)

And yes! What is it with Sex = Baby in one go? I guess it's belief in the adage of "If you want her to get pregnant, your chances are around 10%, if you don't want her to get pregnant, your chances are the remaining 100% counting for a 10% margin of +/- error
              Originally posted by sbz View Post
              Maybe because it's portrayed that way a lot in pop culture? I can't count how many movies I've seen where the main couple finally gets one night of passion or whatever and at the end there's a pregnancy or kid.

Also, presumably the characters in SG are responsible adults and would be using some kind of birth control/protection, the failure rate of which isn't exactly astronomically high.
              Or maybe because, speaking from personal experience, it *does* happen, even when you use contraceptives!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                Urrrrrr.... so what was Charlie then? The immaculate conception?!
                Ah! Artificial insemination, the author explained.

Oi.

Or maybe because, speaking from personal experience, it *does* happen, even when you use contraceptives!
                It certainly does. Yet the way fics (or perhaps the sheer amount of fics!) do it, one would think that women in their mid to late thirties and early forties get accidentally pregnant all the freaking time. (By the by, let's not forget Jack is far from a spring chicken, and men's... product? does tend to be a factor as well ). My favorite scenario is when this happens on the first non-try and with condoms and contraception and, I don't know, a virgin belt all in place.

They do tend to sound a bit far-fetched.

Comment

Back on the whole squicky relationship thing, is it just me, or does anyone else find stories disturbing where:

Daniel discovers he is Jack's son/Au where he is Jack's son/alternate childhoods where he is Jack's son, or for variety, alternatives where Jack is Daniel's older adopted brother.

Or Sam and Daniel as siblings of various acquaintances.

Now, interestingly enough, I've not seen anyone explore ideas that reverse the aforementioned relationships, or plots with Jack/Sam in a paternal role, except as the earlier mentioned Jack in an older teacher/mentor sort of role. I suppose the feeling that they are destined to be together makes any sort of other relationship horrifying to contemplate. i certainly am not interested lol, the idea is just as disturbing as Daniel as Jack's son. Especially since no doubt any attempts would end in ship no matter what relationship was chosen.

The amount of Daniel kidfic where daniel forms an immediete bond and need for Jack to act as a father figure despite his level of awareness, especially if he is aware or semiaware, is also quite disturbing. It just seems out of character for Daniel, but daniel fans seem to have thise deep seated need to explore some percieved past injury or emotional shortcoming causing Daniel to see Jack as the paternal figure he never had rather than the friend that he is. Erg.

On, and perhaps it is because I am one of very few authors with standards that writes kidfic, but I find very disturbing all the kidfic that is for the purpose of romance. Not to mention, how unrealistic the reactions generally are. Reverted to children, instead of reacting in shock about how they are children and what it may mean, they instead think how much they love one another.... mmmmk. Weird. And it is a theme all too often repeated, no matter the situation written. I cannot imagine the characters looking at altered versions of themselves and thinking anything other than thoughts of disbelief, shock, wonder, etc... desire, love of a romantic sense, and other similar emotions would be the last thing on any of their minds.

Oh well, I must be scraping the bottom of the fanfic bin because i've managed to hit all of these in the same week! If I don't find something good soon, I might just implode. My beta has been equally frustrated recently, and prodding me to write something, anything in desperation lol. Muse is being uncooperative however. Bad when the only way to get good fanfic is to write your own eh?
                  sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Best S/J fics parody ever! In fact, it's one of the best parody!fics I've read in any fandom. And! It's a trilogy! As all good things come in threes.

sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Back on the whole squicky relationship thing, is it just me, or does anyone else find stories disturbing where:

Daniel discovers he is Jack's son/Au where he is Jack's son/alternate childhoods where he is Jack's son, or for variety, alternatives where Jack is Daniel's older adopted brother.
                      Dude! Where on earth have you been browsing?

*offers virtual cookies to ease the pain*

Just reading the description made my eyes bleed.

Oh well, I must be scraping the bottom of the fanfic bin because i've managed to hit all of these in the same week! If I don't find something good soon, I might just implode.
                      Which pairing(s) are you into? I may have recs.

Comment

It's... GUH devine, isn't it? And so quoteable!

Comment

i've only read two kid fic that i consider good...by and large i find it as cringable as song fic and male preg fic
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i've only read two kid fic that i consider good...by and large i find it as cringable as song fic and male preg fic
                            i like Kid!fic if it's taken with a grain of salt. I remember one that had Sam and Rodney become kids in Atlatnis and SG1 shows up to help out. Such classic gems as Vala giving them pixie sticks and Jack screaming "YOU"RE GIVING KIDS STRAIGHT SUGAR?!" and madness ensues.

Other part i found adorable and howl worthy was kid!Sam dressing John up and dancing around like a princess, her feet on top of his.

it was purely humourous, and there was alot of fun in that fic

Comment

yeah, the 'first time pregnancy' is always funny in its own way.

how about how often it's twins????

jacob adn daniella or janet or grace or some variation of teal'c or george or georgina
                              Or triplets, twice? First, one set; then the other set ... two years later. Gads ... poor Sam.

Comment

obviously those giving sam litters of kids have never dealt with little ones. not to mention the rampant health issues that can plague multiples

but it's fic,and fic is often idealized
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X