Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    Eurgh. "moment of realisation" my arse. I get "I'm not gay, it's HIM". It happens. I even know a person like that in real life. (well, the other way round, a gay bloke who ended up with a girlfriend...). And people can be unsure about their sexuality, and not only as teenagers. But it's a process. I'm yet to hear a whisper of "moment of realisation" ever actually happening. Either you're gay and have always known, or you learn to understand it, or you're bi and have always known you're bi, or you learn to understand it, these are the four different situations I've seen in real life. Moment of realisation? Not so much.
    There are moment's of realisation and they can be very sudden. They might not be voiced, but they can happen. Personally I had a moment of realisation. I woke up one morning and my first thought of the day was 'Oh sh** I'm gay' and it really hadn't occurred to me before that point (second thought was that I needed the bathroom ). I thought about it for a while before I acted upon it, but I had it. I know people who've always known, I know people who haven't suspected until something occurs, but there are people who have moments of realisation. Okay I can't see them suddenly declaring it out loud and jumping into some one else's knickers over it...but it can happen and in people of all different ages.

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
    a) I'm an S/J shipper and I don't mind the examples in the least. It's a number game, plain and simple. S/J probably have the most fic written about them, thus drek will be vast as well.
    On a personal note, I'll mostly read fics that feature some form of Sam/Jack so that's where I'll find peeves. But OF COURSE there will be Emo!Jack featured in, say, slash fiction, and he'll cry whilst having sex with Daniel because it's just how emotional sex works, darnit!

b) I've said it before and I'll say it (over and over) again, but Imminent Death Induced Sex is just WRONG. I cannot possibly fathom that my main concern while hiding in a cave surrounded by Very Bad Guys With Weapons would be sex.

'Oh, we're about to die horribly. So, Jack. Are you as horny as I am?'

... Wut? NO.
    Hahahaha....but heck...I think I've read that fic with various different characters *g*
    sigpic
    Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
    My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I have simply come to expect your vicious hurtful attacks on my person and everything I believe in.

... *tackles*

Oh, and the answer would be option number B.
      The odd thing is apart from our original meeting, i don't think we've ever butted heads directly. we always end up having a lateral argument. It's nice to get things out in the air

And if i were to attack you viciously, it wouldn't be hurtful.
      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Hey, that post just said 'I'm horny' not 'Let's make babies'. Could have been anyone saying it.
        In my defence, this was a Reduced Shakespeare Company quote (not the tunnel bit, the biological clock bit). But yeah, from my Jack/Daniel days, this could just as well have been J/D. Probably was, actually. Including the biological clock bit.

But I would like to apologise and re-iterate that I wasn't mocking the pairing or the fans, just that specific kind of writers, who, to be completely honest, give fandom a bad name a lot more than they do a certain ship.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
        There are moment's of realisation and they can be very sudden. They might not be voiced, but they can happen. Personally I had a moment of realisation. I woke up one morning and my first thought of the day was 'Oh sh** I'm gay' and it really hadn't occurred to me before that point (second thought was that I needed the bathroom ). I thought about it for a while before I acted upon it, but I had it. I know people who've always known, I know people who haven't suspected until something occurs, but there are people who have moments of realisation. Okay I can't see them suddenly declaring it out loud and jumping into some one else's knickers over it...but it can happen and in people of all different ages.
        Wow, it's completely foot-in-mouth day for me, isn't it. But to justify myself, I am a "known it all my life" bi, quite a lot of my friends are gays who went through a certain process or known it all their lives, but I;ve never met (until now) a moment of realisation. So, erm, I shall qualify my earlier statement by saying it's possible but not in the percentages you see in fanfics?
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
          Hahahaha....but heck...I think I've read that fic with various different characters *g*
          Oh, I'm sure. Life or Death Sex is a popular concept, I'm thinking, right up there with Aliens Made Them Do It (which can be and has been done well) and its sub-category, Romantic Alien Cultures That Demand Wedding Ceremonies and Consumation (ditto).

The difference between the three would, I guess, be that the first one just fails at the very premise. Buzzing bullets and ticking bombs are not sexy. They're just not.
          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Different strokes and all that? I really can't get myself riled up over it. I actually find the vast number of comments a kind of a tribute to the ship. Love it or hate it, they're popular, dude. They're, like the quintessential pairing on SG-1. Controversial? Sure! And I wouldn't have them any other way.

<snip>
            Seriously though. What does it matter. It's not insulting to the ship, it's insulting to bad!fic. And like I said, the bad!fic I'll stumble upon in this fandom will be some form of Sam/Jack. For that matter, so will some brilliant fic I click on. The name of this thread is not, however, Fanfic Do Want's.

I can't speak for other people, but I'm fairly certain Aragon wouldn't have taken it as a personal attack on the pairing or his writing.

Surely, he'll weigh in at some point, if only to contradict me.
            As you say it's different strokes for different people. While it doesn't matter to the world at large, I do find it mildly insulting as a Sam/Jack writer to have Sam/Jack continually used as the example.

I concede its one of the most popular pairings and therefore a lot of people would find their pet peeve examples in Sam/Jack fanfic, and I won't deny that there's a lot of Sam/Jack bad!fic out there, but I do feel like Sam/Jack fanfic gets an unfairly bad press in this thread which as I write it, is slightly depressing at times especially when people are just illustrating a pet peeve and any pairing could be used to describe the issue.

Maybe I was overly courteous to the other authors in the thread in using multiple pairings in my post but I would rather be overly courteous than to unintentionally make people feel like I was picking on their writing or ship preference in particular.

Anyways, I guess I made my point and will stop banging on it about. It's just my pet peeve about the fanfic pet peeve thread.

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            It' snot just sam/jack that suffers this. Sadly, the majority of Sam/John is actually pretty OOC as well. most of them have them hooking up either during Atlantis, or before during academy days (they're about the same age so it's assumed they knew each other from OCS)

<large amount of snippage>
            And thank you. Lots of examples of other pairings. It was wonderful to read it.
            sigpic
            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

i guess what i'd think about the 'flying bullets sex'....how can you relax and enjoy yourself if you're ducking bullets?

oh yes, yes, yes...ack, duck
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                i guess what i'd think about the 'flying bullets sex'....how can you relax and enjoy yourself if you're ducking bullets?

Ha. This leads me to suspect our Sky is a bit of a vertical, up-against-surfaces action enthusiast. With the ducking and, you know.

Then again. Who isn't. Who isn't!
                you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

I don't know--maybe they'd both quack under the pressure!
                  sigpic
                  My Stories: FFdotNet
                  My Stories AO3
                  Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Ha. This leads me to suspect our Sky is a bit of a vertical, up-against-surfaces action enthusiast. With the ducking and, you know.

Then again. Who isn't. Who isn't!
                    it's the adrenaline, once you start, you just can't stop, that's why it keeps happening in fact, once you've had a taste of "Flying bullets sex", nothing else gets you going anymore
                    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

so what? if jack's having 'equipment problems' sam puts on the CD of cadets practicing on the firing range to get him going?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                        in fact, once you've had a taste of "Flying bullets sex", nothing else gets you going anymore
                        I don't know, dude. Sure, you might go for a guns-a-blazin' sex every once in a while, for the sake of mixing things up on an ordinary mission Wednesday. But your real thrill seekers will tell you, there's nothing quite like getting it on inside a mountain that is actually a ticking bomb made of naquadah, or romancing a lady/guy while hanging off a cliff. It's the feel of a boot stomping your hand that really compliments the experience, many claim.

ETA

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        so what? if jack's having 'equipment problems' sam puts on the CD of cadets practicing on the firing range to get him going?
                        OMFG. Laughed out loud in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                          When fic writers chose to write unusual pairings that have never existed and probably will never exist in the show Sam/John, Sam/Janet, Sam/Vala, Sam/Baa'l, Jack/Daniel, Rodney/John (this applies mainly when writing established het characters as gay) a.s.o. are they writing in character or out of character?
                          I guess this depends on how well-written the story is. Personally, though, I rather dislike all of the parings you mentioned.

Comment

I don't know, dude. Sure, you might go for a guns-a-blazin' sex every once in a while, for the sake of mixing things up on an ordinary mission Wednesday. But your real thrill seekers will tell you, there's nothing quite like getting it on inside a mountain that is actually a ticking bomb made of naquadah, or romancing a lady/guy while hanging off a cliff. It's the feel of a boot stomping your hand that really compliments the experience, many claim.

ETA
                            I can only imagine what would happen if they had to eject out of an F-302

Comment

are you sure eject is the E word you were thinking of?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                are you sure eject is the E word you were thinking of?
                                Well something's coming outta something else!

Comment

Working...
                                X