No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok this is not a PP I know, just blatant vulgar advertising, but hey what would we do without sponsors
    As I know you are all FABULOUS writers (am I pushing the right button?) I thought that you might join in this thread and contribute your very worthy words

HERE
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Ok this is not a PP I know, just blatant vulgar advertising, but hey what would we do without sponsors
      As I know you are all FABULOUS writers (am I pushing the right button?) I thought that you might join in this thread and contribute your very worthy words
      "But, and wherefore, the randomness of the verbocity with which I construe and otherwise imply meanings not other than the actual significances of the strings of words with which I work, I may and probably, therefore, will indeed, encounter much noncompliance of will and ability to communicate effectively in so few amount of words as has been set forth in the regulatory body of said and indicated ruling listing of the indicated completion. And, from all indications by other authors already involved in said contest, there is inherent within me an innate need to force the characters in the program known as "Stargate SG-1", with particularness those characters known as Jack and Sam, to form attachments and bonds that seem to be distasteful to others involved in said competition. I proceed, therefore, to indicate my reluctance to enter into said competition for the reason that my tome, abbreviated though it must be, would irk and therefore bother, other competitors as it would surely result in a "Happy Ending" or otherwise "UST" as defined as those selfsame characters wanting to and yet refraining from engaging in physical bouts of mutual mollification with the principal goal being satisfaction, in order to show themselves to be obedient to the "regs". This result would surely be annoying to others, and therefore unwelcome in said venue."

"So, Aka, what are you saying?"

"That my story would just really peeve Aragon."
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        Spoiler:
        ]"But, and wherefore, the randomness of the verbocity with which I construe and otherwise imply meanings not other than the actual significances of the strings of words with which I work, I may and probably, therefore, will indeed, encounter much noncompliance of will and ability to communicate effectively in so few amount of words as has been set forth in the regulatory body of said and indicated ruling listing of the indicated completion. And, from all indications by other authors already involved in said contest, there is inherent within me an innate need to force the characters in the program known as "Stargate SG-1", with particularness those characters known as Jack and Sam, to form attachments and bonds that seem to be distasteful to others involved in said competition. I proceed, therefore, to indicate my reluctance to enter into said competition for the reason that my tome, abbreviated though it must be, would irk and therefore bother, other competitors as it would surely result in a "Happy Ending" or otherwise "UST" as defined as those selfsame characters wanting to and yet refraining from engaging in physical bouts of mutual mollification with the principal goal being satisfaction, in order to show themselves to be obedient to the "regs". This result would surely be annoying to others, and therefore unwelcome in said venue."

In that case AKA, go for it, would love to see it Sam has big shoulders he wont cry

Comment

Spoiler:
          "But, and wherefore, the randomness of the verbocity with which I construe and otherwise imply meanings not other than the actual significances of the strings of words with which I work, I may and probably, therefore, will indeed, encounter much noncompliance of will and ability to communicate effectively in so few amount of words as has been set forth in the regulatory body of said and indicated ruling listing of the indicated completion. And, from all indications by other authors already involved in said contest, there is inherent within me an innate need to force the characters in the program known as "Stargate SG-1", with particularness those characters known as Jack and Sam, to form attachments and bonds that seem to be distasteful to others involved in said competition. I proceed, therefore, to indicate my reluctance to enter into said competition for the reason that my tome, abbreviated though it must be, would irk and therefore bother, other competitors as it would surely result in a "Happy Ending" or otherwise "UST" as defined as those selfsame characters wanting to and yet refraining from engaging in physical bouts of mutual mollification with the principal goal being satisfaction, in order to show themselves to be obedient to the "regs". This result would surely be annoying to others, and therefore unwelcome in said venue."

Indeed.

But do it anyway....to peeve him

And 'mollification' sounds like a word that should be inserted into real speech more often.
          [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

I like that word^^^, it has a certain ring to it Isolde just posted in the competition thread, very nice piece of writing Some reviews from those of you here on that thread would be nice for each of the authors I'm not contributing as I thought it would be a little ostentatious of me to do so, as I sarted the thread

Comment

To PJ and Aka:

Only if i read it, only if i read it

Why would i read a story clearly marked S/J when i don't like the pairing? this is why warnings are important even if it takes away th "shock" at the end. It's so annoying to read partially into a story, and all of a sudden "WHAM" Slash or a pairing you don't enjoy without any warnings.

Grammar has always been elusive to me. The technical aspects of writing always annoyed me. Typically i'll try and say it out loud if i think there's an issue and see if it sounds wrong. MS Word isn't the best at grammar either as it often suggests words i KNOW are wrong.

what about making up words that SHOULD exist? like Relention. The State of relenting to something. (e,g, Sam sighed in relention as she began to explain once more why they couldn't call their new ships after sci-fi tv shows.)
              Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
              Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

A point in fact, I for one agree, why can't we invent words of our own. After all language is only a medium passed on to us from our forebears who only expressed in a series of grunts and other less savoury sounds

Comment

A point in fact, I for one agree, why can't we invent words of our own. After all language is only a medium passed on to us from our forebears who only expressed in a series of grunts and other less savoury sounds
                  But, we do! "I'll text you." "I'm addicted to Facebooking." "DVR it, please!" We make up words all the time--it's just that in order to have it added to the language, it has to have some sort of consensus. It can't be just (ahem) random verbosity.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

But, we do! "I'll text you." "I'm addicted to Facebooking." "DVR it, please!" We make up words all the time--it's just that in order to have it added to the language, it has to have some sort of consensus. It can't be just (ahem) random verbosity.
                    Well that's taking a noun and using it a s verb. "I'll text you" makes no true sense in the strict meaning of word. i think the 'proper' way to say it owuld be "i'll send you a text message"

Personally, colloquial usages of words like that don't bother me, it's when its writen like "il txt u."that it just feel wrong to me my friends call me "Professor" because whenever i text or use MSN, the most colloquial terms i'll use are acronyms like LOL or LMAO, with the ever present WTF.

it's scary to see how the english language is butchered every day across the telephone network
                    Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                    Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                    Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

The venerable Bill Shakespear would have a coronary C U L8er.....d'oh *head slam*

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                        Well that's taking a noun and using it a s verb. "I'll text you" makes no true sense in the strict meaning of word. i think the 'proper' way to say it owuld be "i'll send you a text message"
                        Mmmm, that's the beauty of a living language -- it changes constantly. Personally, I find it absolutely fascinating, but then I just find different languages in general awesome (in the very basic sense of that word; as in awe inspiring). From all the different ways one can phrase certain things in different languages, and for it to make absolutely no sense translated to another language (and yet it's just right in the original language); to the 'borrowing words' from one another; to the whole history and evolution, right down to colloqialisms and little perks that make it so much fun.

I'm gonna stop being such a nerd now.

Personally, colloquial usages of words like that don't bother me, it's when its writen like "il txt u."that it just feel wrong to me my friends call me "Professor" because whenever i text or use MSN, the most colloquial terms i'll use are acronyms like LOL or LMAO, with the ever present WTF.

it's scary to see how the english language is butchered every day across the telephone network
                        Yeah, no, I too wouldn't liken noun-turned-verb 'text' to just plain incorrect grammar + horrific spelling.

WTF I'll use to avoid the pesky bad language sensors, and it kinda stuck from there. IDEK I write quite often because... IDEK, really. I've never used LOL in my life, ever.

... Oh, wait. NOOOO. *shakes fist*

But none of them should be used in fic, ever ever. (OMG)
                        you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                          The venerable Bill Shakespear would have a coronary C U L8er.....d'oh *head slam*
                          *is personally pretty much convinced Shakespeare, who actually wrote for the messes, would have fondly embraced it, but barring a discovery of an Ancient time travelling puddle jumper, finding the right solar flare, or a Tardis (or at least a DeLorian), we shall never know...*
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Me thinks he may have been the prodgenator of it all^^^^

Comment

Me thinks he may have been the prodgenator of it all
                              Since he singlehandedly added more words to the common vernacular than any other human being EVER.

I'm something of a fan. . .
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

Since he singlehandedly added more words to the common vernacular than any other human being EVER.

I'm something of a fan. . .
                                I hope he did not give us the word "like" because at the present that one word is driving me nutso. Our kids here cannot use a single sentence without the word at least ten times...well a slight exaggeration but you get my drift. I've even seen it the occasional fic *heaven forbid*

Comment

Working...
                                X