No announcement yet.

Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aragon, leave Aka alone. Just admit you like an unusual pairing, and if you want more fic you are gonna have to write it. Can't you see, she's hopeless. I don't know if she can even write true friendship without sneaking the occaisional completely slap you upside the head shippy tidbit in, she's so hardcore.

If you ever did sucede in wooing her to the dark side, the minute Sam and John were getting cozy, Jack would appear (even in Atlantis.... I mean, it could happen... she believes this is the OTP... and she will find a believable conviciable way to make it work in the story, that will probably make even you laugh out loud even while crying real tears of pain ) and at that moment, John and Sam will realize that after all, they are totally wrong for each other, and they run off and do whatever it is that OTP's do when they discover the rightness that is the OTP. And they'll live happily ever after. The end

I'm just kidding of course. but Aka is a lost cause, but you can keep pretending that your wooing will eventually seduce her to your dark and twisted variation on the OTP

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously hurting here. Please, make it stop!!!
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

I've written a lot of SGA fic and most of them have ship/slash in it but the romantic relationship is just a part of it and the friendships are always the most important to me. Like a fic I wrote where Rodney had suffered a brain injury and John and Elizabeth were a couple and they became his primary caregivers. The story was more about the characters' relationship with Rodney.

On a different subject it really annoys me when a fic has massive paragraphs that should be split into three or four separate ones. I can understand if the coding gets screwed up and there's one massive paragraph (happened to me on lj once when I was in rich text mode. Never could fix it.) but I'm referring to several large paragraphs that are intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously hurting here. Please, make it stop!!!
        Heehee! I couldn't help it. It's sorta cute, in an almost pathetic schoolbo crush kind of way... but I mean... It's almost to the point where like... does your husband know about Aragon?? (hides)

Originally posted by SGLAB View Post
        On a different subject it really annoys me when a fic has massive paragraphs that should be split into three or four separate ones. I can understand if the coding gets screwed up and there's one massive paragraph (happened to me on lj once when I was in rich text mode. Never could fix it.) but I'm referring to several large paragraphs that are intentional.
        Or, like, when people forget to use periods, because like totally, there isn't one on thier keyboard, because you know, their keyboard is like defective you know, and doens't actually have a period, so you end up with these impossibly long sentances that go on and on until they are just about the lenght of those totally long paragraphs that you mention above, all because they have all these defective keyboards out there that are like totally missing a period key, kinda like mine is at the moment, since it seems I've suddenly misplaced my period key and I can't seem to stop and I don't really know what to do, but then all of a sudden, wait, oh, there it is.... right here! What a relief!
        sigpic

Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~iamdragonrider

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
          Heehee! I couldn't help it. It's sorta cute, in an almost pathetic schoolbo crush kind of way... but I mean... It's almost to the point where like... does your husband know about Aragon?? (hides)
          I'm an incurable flirt, i accept that Plus i actually DID like Wizard of Mazd so i'm not above reccing something i liked. Sorta the same way i loved firefly, but dollhouse make me I accept that writers can have different creative facets, but i'll mention what i liked more Kinda like how i didn't like Alias, but loved Cloverfield from JJ. Abrams.

Originally posted by iamdragonrider
          Aragon, leave Aka alone. Just admit you like an unusual pairing, and if you want more fic you are gonna have to write it.
          Actually, i'm quite surprised with the increase in hits and John/Sam fics i've seen recently. It's grown and continues to grow as it's a relatively new pairing. Viva la Revolucion!

Can't you see, she's hopeless. I don't know if she can even write true friendship without sneaking the occaisional completely slap you upside the head shippy tidbit in, she's so hardcore.
          I know but quality is quality A single termite will eventually shread a forest to sawdust, a little trickle of water known as the colorado river made the grand canyon, it's only a matter of patience

If you ever did sucede in wooing her to the dark side, the minute Sam and John were getting cozy, Jack would appear (even in Atlantis.... I mean, it could happen... she believes this is the OTP... and she will find a believable conviciable way to make it work in the story, that will probably make even you laugh out loud even while crying real tears of pain ) and at that moment, John and Sam will realize that after all, they are totally wrong for each other, and they run off and do whatever it is that OTP's do when they discover the rightness that is the OTP. And they'll live happily ever after. The end
          I read the fic you mentioned, it was gag worthy on both ends because of all the angsty confessions of hte soul "I REALLY WANTED YOU!!!" and... *Shudder* More soap opera than SGU.

It won't be now, and it likely won't be for awhile, but like i said, i'd love to see Aka try other ships, even if it's not John/Sam. I can see it already, heads will explode when she starts posting new stuff that isn't Jack/Sam Hell i'd love to see more from YOU on the RomCom front

Lemme think... while i've primarily done John/Sam, i've done John/Elizabeth, John/Teyla UST, Ronon/Keller, McKeller, Jack/Sam Crack, Jack/Sam UST as well as a ton of unusual pairings... that's just shipping, the majority of what i write is pretty gen. Writing each and researching how to write it properly gave me a better understanding of that character though. Very enlightening

Or, like, when people forget to use periods, because like totally, there isn't one on thier keyboard, because you know, their keyboard is like defective you know, and doens't actually have a period, so you end up with these impossibly long sentances that go on and on until they are just about the lenght of those totally long paragraphs that you mention above, all because they have all these defective keyboards out there that are like totally missing a period key, kinda like mine is at the moment, since it seems I've suddenly misplaced my period key and I can't seem to stop and I don't really know what to do, but then all of a sudden, wait, oh, there it is.... right here! What a relief!
          There's a whole thread dedicated to that that PJOZ made

OHHH i can't stand the massive paragraphs! i remember my creative writing teacher showing us the difference on a white board and it was scary I've seen a few published novels that are like a single huge block
          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
            I'm an incurable flirt, i accept that Plus i actually DID like Wizard of Mazd so i'm not above reccing something i liked. Sorta the same way i loved firefly, but dollhouse make me I accept that writers can have different creative facets, but i'll mention what i liked more Kinda like how i didn't like Alias, but loved Cloverfield from JJ. Abrams.

Actually, i'm quite surprised with the increase in hits and John/Sam fics i've seen recently. It's grown and continues to grow as it's a relatively new pairing. Viva la Revolucion!

I know but quality is quality A single termite will eventually shread a forest to sawdust, a little trickle of water known as the colorado river made the grand canyon, it's only a matter of patience

I read the fic you mentioned, it was gag worthy on both ends because of all the angsty confessions of hte soul "I REALLY WANTED YOU!!!" and... *Shudder* More soap opera than SGU.

It won't be now, and it likely won't be for awhile, but like i said, i'd love to see Aka try other ships, even if it's not John/Sam. I can see it already, heads will explode when she starts posting new stuff that isn't Jack/Sam Hell i'd love to see more from YOU on the RomCom front

Lemme think... while i've primarily done John/Sam, i've done John/Elizabeth, John/Teyla UST, Ronon/Keller, McKeller, Jack/Sam Crack, Jack/Sam UST as well as a ton of unusual pairings... that's just shipping, the majority of what i write is pretty gen. Writing each and researching how to write it properly gave me a better understanding of that character though. Very enlightening

There's a whole thread dedicated to that that PJOZ made

OHHH i can't stand the massive paragraphs! i remember my creative writing teacher showing us the difference on a white board and it was scary I've seen a few published novels that are like a single huge block
            When fic writers chose to write unusual pairings that have never existed and probably will never exist in the show Sam/John, Sam/Janet, Sam/Vala, Sam/Baa'l, Jack/Daniel, Rodney/John (this applies mainly when writing established het characters as gay) a.s.o. are they writing in character or out of character?

Comment

I'm an incurable flirt, i accept that
              Oh good. Admission is the first step to dealing with an addiction.
              Uh, you just keep planting your little seeds of dissent I suppose it works better than my simply wishing there were more gen/non-ship.

OMG. There was an actual fic? What am I saying? Of course there was. I mean, I was just throwing out there... I've seen plenty of Jack the General who can drop everything and clear his schedule on a moments notice to go rushing to the Pegasus Galaxy, either before or after the gate bridge thing, anytime he misses Sam or she's hurt etc.... but I was kind of joking... Of course it's not much of a stretch, it was done with Pete, at least the ones that weren't bashing, they just tended to go for the Sam realizes that Pete's wrong and she really just wants Jack.... I'm sure it's likely been done with just about any other male on the show that has ever shown even a glimmer of interest in Sam, and god forbid she even be percieved to even smile at the guy!

Me? What's a RomCom?

You had a creative writing teacher? Cool. I never got to have one of those (sigh) So all mistakes, like run ons and lumped up paragraphs are totally the fault of my lack of education, and not my fault at all.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh good. Admission is the first step to dealing with an addiction.
                Who said anything about DEALING with the addiction? This is like being addicted to MultiVitamins, you can't go wrong!

Uh, you just keep planting your little seeds of dissent I suppose it works better than my simply wishing there were more gen/non-ship.
                Hmmm... i've been wanting to write something other than DF recently, give me a prompt

OMG. There was an actual fic? What am I saying? Of course there was. I mean, I was just throwing out there... I've seen plenty of Jack the General who can drop everything and clear his schedule on a moments notice to go rushing to the Pegasus Galaxy, either before or after the gate bridge thing, anytime he misses Sam or she's hurt etc.... but I was kind of joking... Of course it's not much of a stretch, it was done with Pete, at least the ones that weren't bashing, they just tended to go for the Sam realizes that Pete's wrong and she really just wants Jack.... I'm sure it's likely been done with just about any other male on the show that has ever shown even a glimmer of interest in Sam, and god forbid she even be percieved to even smile at the guy!
                No names, but it had Sam with John, and Jack with Elizabeth, and Sam was going to tell them that she and John were getting married, but as soon as she saw Jack, she broke down. Same thing with John and Elizabeth. It was one of those *Head!Desk* moments

Me? What's a RomCom?
                Romantic Comedy. Doesn't have to be shippy at all, just pure fun friendship/pre-ship

You had a creative writing teacher? Cool. I never got to have one of those (sigh) So all mistakes, like run ons and lumped up paragraphs are totally the fault of my lack of education, and not my fault at all.
                yeah, but it was mostly just learning how properly work out story ideas and stuff. the basics of storyboarding, the value of a good editor/beta. Stuff that you can learn here easily just reading our rants
                Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Sometimes it's all about in how you add those details. I mean details are great, but, throwing in a line that (and I don't know how you did it and I'm just exampling... yes I made that up...) is something like, they went to meet the Unas, large, green, ugly lizard like creatures that don't speak a lot of english... well it might be more jarring, and detract from the story. Being too noticible if you get my drift? On the other hand, slipping in a few details, say in inner thoughts, perhaps a Daniel POV as he speculates on the differences of the creatures from humans, or Jack making a Jack like comment about lizard people, or describing an individual Unas as an OC when it interacts. Then it just becomes a part of the story flow.
                  So I assume from the "exampling" that what you're saying is not that I simply lobbed in a descriptive line as though I was an inexperienced writer who didn't know better but rather that if someone else in their writing just added in a descriptive line without taking the care to ensure it appeared naturally within the flow of the story that it would be jarring?

Because otherwise it kind of does read that you're implying that I simply lobbed in a description line like an idiot and so deserved the criticism I got.
                  sigpic
                  Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                  My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                    So I assume from the "exampling" that what you're saying is not that I simply lobbed in a descriptive line as though I was an inexperienced writer who didn't know better but rather that if someone else in their writing just added in a descriptive line without taking the care to ensure it appeared naturally within the flow of the story that it would be jarring?

Because otherwise it kind of does read that you're implying that I simply lobbed in a description line like an idiot and so deserved the criticism I got.
                    Sorry, that looks like a mess doesn't it? Actually, I think your work is awesome, and what I probably should have said is that what you said made me think of when people (not you per se) write details, not really knowing what to do with them and it just feel as if they've been inserted. Particularly those details that don't really need to be there, stuff that feels dull, descriptions of the room, town, planet... "it was a dark and stormy night" type stuff.

And not necessarily about your fic, which I will make more clear hear, that if i've read it, I don't know or recall which one or the line or detail. Just ignore me, this is me on very little sleep while trying to remove multiple viruses (virii?) from her computer.

There, i hope that looks better
                    sigpic

Comment

kind of like, when you're reading a harlequin romance aand you come across the obligatory 3 paragraphs of 'see, i did research' detail...and it's just there,t eh story pauses for it

as opposed to having a story, then a sentence or two of description, then back to the story. Or tossing in a phrase or two throughout the chapter/story. Put it in in such a way that the story never stops for it...and you can't easily just snip it out
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, that looks like a mess doesn't it? Actually, I think your work is awesome, and what I probably should have said is that what you said made me think of when people (not you per se) write details, not really knowing what to do with them and it just feel as if they've been inserted. Particularly those details that don't really need to be there, stuff that feels dull, descriptions of the room, town, planet... "it was a dark and stormy night" type stuff.

And not necessarily about your fic, which I will make more clear hear, that if i've read it, I don't know or recall which one or the line or detail. Just ignore me, this is me on very little sleep while trying to remove multiple viruses (virii?) from her computer.

There, i hope that looks better

Possibly I was a tad overly sensitive when I read it. LOL.

In truth, I think the addition was not as seamless as it could have been but I did take care in where I placed it. But the criticism I received about it was clearly that the reader had an issue with my describing the Unas full stop not in the way I had done it.

I have to admit that I used to be more descriptive of the characters and places in my early fics but that's because I knew a few of my Airwolf readers followed me to Stargate and hadn't seen any of the show.

*shrugs*

It's all a balancing act. And while bad is, well, bad - some decisions on how much detail can strike different notes with individual readers. Writing is very subjective and the point I was originally making was just that some people will love what a writer does descriptively and other people will hate it.
                        sigpic
                        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

My husband knows about this ridiculous addiction of mine and since he started it, he just rolls his eyes and laughs. Literally, when i came on one of the fic rec pages (as a lurker) and found my stuff being recommended, he literally said, "Don't these people have anything better to do?" He feels very threatened by everyone here. Ha ha ha ha ha. Not.

Oh i understand that I'm not saying you should go against what you as a writer enjoy. But from my own experience, writing the same thing over and over again becomes repetitive and boring. I like Sam/John, but i can only tolerate so much of it before i get gorged and just want something else. So i've expanded my horizons a bit and having great fun

From my own personal experience as well, by pushing your limits, you can find new niches and niceties in what you enjoy. I wrote Occupational Hazard and added some UST because that was what was in the show. I found a nice level of friendship which could easily be misconstrued as pre-ship, but in my mind it was just friendship. In so doing, i kinda learned how things can mean different things to different people on a first hand basis.

You have to understand, though, that my creative forces are also well in play outside this realm--I'm a professional quilter in real life, with hundreds of clients and a 7 month waiting list (except for my friends, some of whom read this list--you know who you are. . .) and I get to use my "other" creativity for that.

And being a mom--which kind of goes without saying--I've mentioned my gaggle of kids?--and the fact that I teach teenagers and volunteer and and and and and. . . .

So let me work my way through this Sam/Jack thing before thrusting other pairings off on me. . .(I've only written 11 stories, after all)

and BTW--that's the kind of book I read anyway--not bodice rippers, but romance stories. I'll read the odd action/adventure, but got enough of the "IMPORTANT (insert appropriate cultural group here) NOVEL" pursuing my lit degree. Even in my three semesters of creative writing classes, I wanted to write romance stories--and took some heat for it. But that's what floats my boat. Frankly, I find modern novels about abuse and incest and alcoholism and torture and deep moral issues tiring. I see enough of that stuff in real life. . .
                          Last edited by Akamaimom; 06 March 2010, 05:49 PM.
                          sigpic
                          My Stories: FFdotNet
                          My Stories AO3
                          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

My husband knows about this ridiculous addiction of mine and since he started it, he just rolls his eyes and laughs. Literally, when i came on one of the fic rec pages (as a lurker) and found my stuff being recommended, he literally said, "Don't these people have anything better to do?" He feels very threatened by everyone here. Ha ha ha ha ha. Not.
                            LOL. That is all

You have to understand, though, that my creative forces are also well in play outside this realm--I'm a professional quilter in real life, with hundreds of clients and a 7 month waiting list (except for my friends, some of whom read this list--you know who you are. . .) and I get to use my "other" creativity for that.

And being a mom--which kind of goes without saying--I've mentioned my gaggle of kids?--and the fact that I teach teenagers and volunteer and and and and and. . . .

So let me work my way through this Sam/Jack thing before thrusting other pairings off on me. . .(I've only written 11 stories, after all)

and BTW--that's the kind of book I read anyway--not bodice rippers, but romance stories. I'll read the odd action/adventure, but got enough of the "IMPORTANT (insert appropriate cultural group here) NOVEL" pursuing my lit degree. Even in my three semesters of creative writing classes, I wanted to write romance stories--and took some heat for it. But that's what floats my boat. Frankly, I find modern novels about abuse and incest and alcoholism and torture and deep moral issues tiring. I see enough of that stuff in real life. . .
                            Cool, Professional Quilter 7 month waiting list? Damn

In simplest terms, your writing style is precisely what i like, so of course i'm going to tell you i want more Personally i prefer realism, not real, Real is all those things you mentioned, realistic isn't though it can touch upon those issues, not focus. Realistic also isn't a fairy tale at the same time.

I'll be here, like i said, Colorado River, Grand Canyon, took awhile i think I know you love Sam/Jack and again, from my own experience, it takes time to get all those ideas onto paper and i'm sure you have plenty.

There's also a huge difference between Romance and the typical bodice ripper, one is drawn out gratification, the other, instant. I think you can tell which i like

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                              When fic writers chose to write unusual pairings that have never existed and probably will never exist in the show Sam/John, Sam/Janet, Sam/Vala, Sam/Baa'l, Jack/Daniel, Rodney/John (this applies mainly when writing established het characters as gay) a.s.o. are they writing in character or out of character?
                              Well, as with all things, it depends how it's written. The mere fact of a non-canon relationship does not make the characters OOC (in my opinion), if that's what you're asking. If they're characterized within a relationship in a consistent manner with their character in general - ie, Carter's not a cries at the drop of a hat woman, so she wouldn't be like that in a relationship, and Jack isn't mister sensitive let's talk about feelings so he wouldn't suddenly be like that either - then it's fine. Just because character A and B never exchanged the lovey dovey looks or whatever on the show doesn't mean a relationship between them is automatically out of character.

As for writing straight characters as gay, etc. That's of course trickier. I say, if you've never seen a character's sexuality in any way then why can't they be gay? With characters who were in relationships - like Jack with Sara and Daniel with Sha're - it's harder to justfiy it. But I suppose you could say sure, they like women, but there's no proof that they aren't bisexual.

The fact is, Stargate had few canon relationships the ones it did have got so little time (which, a good thing, because it wasn't that kind of show) that it's almost like they didn't exist. Technically speaking, the only relationships that are canon on Stargate are Jack and Sara; Sam and Jonas Hanson and Pete; Daniel and Sha're... and Sarah Gardener?; Teal'c and his wife, the preistess lady, and Ishta; McKay and Katie Brown; and McKay and Keller.... and Keller and Ronan? Maybe? Sorta? Not sure, I'm not big into SGA.

So looking at that, it's perfectly reasonable to me that Janet dated people during her time on the show, that any and all of the SG-1 members pursued private lives before/after/between canon pairings. And if a fic can put Janet believably together with Carter, or Daniel, or some other SG member, then in my book it's not out of character. The key in that sentence was putting the characters together believably, though. If a writer characterizes people properly then pretty much anything will work.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                                I didn't even see this post :O

I think sbz said it quite nicely though, it's less about maintaining "Canon" than it is keeping the characters believable. I like to use my imagination to try and see it on "TV" inside my head. Given what's happened in the story, does what this character is doing make sense? Does it fit what we'e seen of this character match up with this given their experiences in this story?

Comment

Working...
                                X