Fanfic Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post

Anyway, I just had to say something. I don't really have anything to complain, the last chapter I posted two days ago and got 24 reviews back on, and at least half were more than just "great! update soon" so I figure, it must have been something right. And I suppose that I will never get Jack right for the way everyone sees him. But hey, I guess I got Teal'c and Daniel right, at least for the Sam fans. woo
    At this point I wouldn't mind a few "great! Update soon"s

Comment

I always think Jack... well, the Jack I write... is very much a do-er. He'll tell you how he's feeling by the way he acts. He's also a bit of a muller in the sense of it might take him awhile to think over a situation and work up to the point where he might actually say something. In which case it will be a short little sentence, simple, to the point, not some invovled flowery speech and then he'll move on.

Another dimension - I think - is who he's talking to. The Jack of canon who thinks he has inappropriate feelings is probably going to be more hesitant about doing/saying something around/to Carter that he wouldn't think twice about with Daniel or Teal'c. With them he's not a boss in the same way he's Carter's CO and the male buddy relationship allows for an ease that isn't typically achieved between men and women (regardless of whether there's any inappropriate/unrequited feelings).

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        Theoretically, the fact that he was a cop could mean he'd understand being in a dangerous job. But I think your #1 is the key--and that came out after the big date. IMHO, Sam would have written him off at that point. I see her as wanting a life, but not being so needy she'd chase after Pete or forgive him for following her & potentially jeopardizing a mission.

Too bad they didn't leave him as the nice guy that opened Sam up to just having fun and a life outside work. IMHO they went down the wrong path with him. And most fanfic writers do the same.

What I don't understand, is why, why, why the hell is Pete given clearance? Because he's dating Samantha Carter? At that point, he wasn't. They'd gone their separate ways!

I believe that Sam would not have forgiven him for that. The Stargate Program is everything to her. If it wasn't, she'd have quit so she could have Jack's babies years ago!

Just my opinion. I don't write the guy. I either write before Chimera, or say "This is AU, dammit!" One fic of mine mentions him... but that's cos it's a songfic, and it doesn't make sense without him. ("Always" on ff.net - song by Bon Jovi.)

Comment

You aren't doing too badly with your reviews you know. And that story has been taking me awhile. Fortunately, they've mostly stopped asking me to get Sam and Jack together in that story you mention That doesn't stop an occaisional request (or few) for a kinder, gentler, character.
          I know. It is just amazing to me that anyone wants to read my stuff at all--this (and I've said this before) is such a great forum for people to be able to express themselves. I truly am grateful for everyone who clicks on the story and reads it because it's humbling that they've taken time out of their day for it.

At this point I wouldn't mind a few "great! Update soon"s
          And I hear that! Doesn't it just make your day when someone bothers?
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Grace View Post
            What I don't understand, is why, why, why the hell is Pete given clearance? Because he's dating Samantha Carter? At that point, he wasn't. They'd gone their separate ways!
            Wasn't it because he got shot and saw... well, I think he saw something that was definitely not "normal" and needed explaining (it's been awhile since I saw the episode). Because explaining means non-disclosure forms which means they have recourse if he starts talking to people he shouldn't. Him getting clearance was never something I had issues with. It was one of the [few] things that I thought made sense.

Comment

i think iwth pete, the reason for giving him clearance was to gag him with the non-disclosure.

with no clearance, he could still make phone calls and ask questions. But as part of the clearance, he has to sign the non-disclosure...so they now control him and can kick his butt if he questions too much or talks to anyone

so i don't think it was a matter of trust, it was a matter of control.

and i always got the idea that it wasn't full clearance, just to know about the situation he stumbled upon.

I do also think that the clearance was also given with the idea of 'ok, you know, someday we might need an 'in' with the local PD, shanahan can be that 'in'.

he was a future tool
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Grace View Post

I believe that Sam would not have forgiven him for that. The Stargate Program is everything to her. If it wasn't, she'd have quit so she could have Jack's babies years ago!

Just my opinion. I don't write the guy. I either write before Chimera, or say "This is AU, dammit!" One fic of mine mentions him... but that's cos it's a songfic, and it doesn't make sense without him. ("Always" on ff.net - song by Bon Jovi.)
                I always had a problem with that myself. That last scene where he's in the infirmary and Sam brings him a framed photo of them dancing .... that made it seem like they'd been together for quite awhile, when in fact IMO they'd only been dating for a very short time. Unless she met him prior to the events of "Grace" and "Evolution", there's no way they'd known each other for more than a couple of weeks by the time "Chimera" came along. In "Death Knell" when she's talking to Jacob in the lab on the Alpha site, she says the telchak device had been found "a month ago" (in the episode "Evolution"). During that period of time, there was "Grace" and "Fallout" and then "Chimera". She was missing in "Grace" for four days, then in the infirmary at the SGC for probably a couple more days. Then off on Kelowna with Jonas Quinn for probably a few more days. And then "Chimera" happened. Where in all that was she supposed to have even met Pete? Or is this yet another instance where we're supposed to take it for granted they'd known each other for awhile and been dating. Since many people only accept what is spoken and shown on screen as canon, I find it very hard to believe they'd known each other for more than a couple of weeks. (Though, to be fair, her brother had probably been hassling her for awhile about meeting this "friend" of his.)

And I don't believe the "real" Sam Carter would have forgiven him that easily either. He'd survived. She was grateful for that. She should have read him the riot act for what he did, endangering her and her team like that, and ultimately getting himself injured. They could just as easily shuffled him right out of her life at that point. But I've read that David DeLuise had a contract for 3 or 4 episodes, so I guess they had to extend his appearances to fulfill the contract. But the whole thing still bugs the heck out of me.

I should just stay away from this subject; since it obviously is still a big rant issue .....

Comment

Originally posted by iamdragonrider View Post
                  It all just goes back to Sam/Teal'c
                  Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  yes, THE OTP of the show. been there from COTG, when he laid his staff weapon in her hands...right in the middle of hte gateroom no less
                  Yes, he was saying "I love you" (even though they'd never conversed at that point, iirc). You know, eyes across a crowded room and all that.

And remember how worried he was about her injury in Broca Divide?

Comment

taht whole 'month' thing is a MASSIVE glitch of the writers. I think they just tossed the reference in there and didn't stop to think just how much happened in that month. Realisitically? sam had been injured twice in that time span, her shoulder in evolution, the concussion in grace, there was just no way for chimera and fallout to have also happened. Her time off work wouldn't have allowed enough time for her to be on duty

IE, they screwed up
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Some of my pet peeves........... in two categories:

As the writer:
                      I can't write certain characters, mostly because i've nerver seen them enough on screen, or had much of a good time with them
                      I can only write those I can see stuff happening arounde or not noticeing.....
                      As the reader of a fic:
                      A writer failing to finish their story, (or finishing it and never uloading the last few bits) (I include myself in this)
                      Bad spelling/grammar errors (I think I see ymsefl here at times too)
                      And lastly; siome of the characters are too OC at times
                      Normally I try to avoid writing characters I am not familar with in the effort to avoid writing them too OC like. Only a few characters i have the right voice or scene in my head for can I write them, might just be ap ersonal peeve....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                        Some of my pet peeves........... in two categories:

As the writer:
                        I can't write certain characters, mostly because i've nerver seen them enough on screen, or had much of a good time with them
                        I can only write those I can see stuff happening arounde or not noticeing.....
                        As the reader of a fic:
                        A writer failing to finish their story, (or finishing it and never uloading the last few bits) (I include myself in this)
                        Bad spelling/grammar errors (I think I see ymsefl here at times too)
                        And lastly; siome of the characters are too OC at times
                        Normally I try to avoid writing characters I am not familar with in the effort to avoid writing them too OC like. Only a few characters i have the right voice or scene in my head for can I write them, might just be ap ersonal peeve....
                        On that same horse,

As a writer. i tend to hit extremes too often or use the same phrase too often. It's things likethis that happen too often that frustrate me... often

As a reader though, i think any writer who's trying to improve will show through their chapters deserves the benefit of the doubt. i tend to only read recs now and every once in awhile i'll read something "new". It's the repetitive "Insert Tab A into Slot B" cookie cutter fics that are meant more for the author's wish fulfillment rather than a stab at art that annoy me.

Like the fics where Sheppard decides to finally hook up with Teyla... AFTER Season 5 when she's already with Kanaan

Thank God punching is a great way to vent frustration.
                        Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                        Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                        Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Thank God punching is a great way to vent frustration.
                          Maybe you should take up Yoga. That would be a twist in the plot!

Ha ha ha ha.
                          sigpic
                          My Stories: FFdotNet
                          My Stories AO3
                          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                            On that same horse,

As a writer. i tend to hit extremes too often or use the same phrase too often. It's things likethis that happen too often that frustrate me... often

As a reader though, i think any writer who's trying to improve will show through their chapters deserves the benefit of the doubt. i tend to only read recs now and every once in awhile i'll read something "new". It's the repetitive "Insert Tab A into Slot B" cookie cutter fics that are meant more for the author's wish fulfillment rather than a stab at art that annoy me.

Like the fics where Sheppard decides to finally hook up with Teyla... AFTER Season 5 when she's already with Kanaan
                            I guess at this line what I liek to do at this point is not have Canoe there at all. (like in my Dawnless Earth Sereis he's not even mentioned) That storyline was weakkneed to begin with. Easy to foget he's (kanan) there.

Some thing I like to do just to give people a good laugh, is break the forth wall whenever possible

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                              Maybe you should take up Yoga. That would be a twist in the plot!

Ha ha ha ha.
                              I tried Yoga actually, it's relaxing sure, but apart from the added flexibility, didn't really do much afterwards. I've got that pesky Y Chromosome remember?

Actually here's a saying your boys will love, but don't encourage it. "If your problem isn't being solved with violence... you aren't using enough violence!"

Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                I guess at this line what I liek to do at this point is not have Canoe there at all. (like in my Dawnless Earth Sereis he's not even mentioned) That storyline was weakkneed to begin with. Easy to foget he's (kanan) there.

Some thing I like to do just to give people a good laugh, is break the forth wall whenever possible
                                Well there's a difference between fics in the "canon"verse and an AU where something is different.

I read a great fic once where Sheppard and Teyla hooked up after Common Ground, and it was HIS baby in Season 4. But to prevent the drama that would have come, Teyla had pretended it was Kanaan in order to give Sheppard time to prepare for the kid. It was surprisingly well done especally since the ruse began right before michael kidnapped the Athosians making it even MORE tense for them

The ones that tick me off are the ones where Sheppard will do anything up to and often including murder or allowing Kanaan to die in order to get Teyla. Or even better, the ones where he meets Kanaan for the first time before Teyla even hooks up with him and he instantly doesn't like him.

Comment

Working...
                                X